• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I posted an image of topless man & women on Facebook, was removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

I disagree. It's a quite obvious instance of sexism. Women are restricted from something men are able to do because...that's just the popular opinion, or that's the tradition. These are not adequate justification.

The reason we have a NSFW disclaimer on the board is not because the users of this site consider female nipples indecent, but because the rampant sexism of our society could result in causing offense at our workplaces if we were to view such material there unexpectedly.

How is it sexism if majority of women don't feel comfortable exposing what they define as their private areas in public?? How on earth is that sexism? No one is advantageous going topless over one sex for any kind of benefit...

How is it sexism if majority of women don't feel comfortable exposing what they define as their private areas in public?? How on earth is that sexism? No one is advantageous going topless over one sex for any kind of benefit...
You're really missing the point, here.

Let's take a beach, Ocean City, MD is one nearby where I live. Now, would you like to go swimming in the ocean? Cool. Would you like wear a top while swimming?

If the answer is yes, you're fine.

If the answer is no, you are presented with two possible outcomes:

If you have what appear to be feminine breasts and/or nipples you will be arrested.

If you appear to have masculine breasts and/or nipples, you are free to go about your business.

Explain to me why that is not a sexist situation.

This is why Anita makes her videos and why immature people respond with the vitriol they do. They're too up their own culture to step back and look at things in an objective way or just from a different perspective.

Fritz

I don't mind women being topless at the beach. Furthermore I think it's bad taste for a man to be topless anywhere else than the beach.

So beach=topless, anywhere else=no-no. Doesn't matter the sex.

Acinixys

I would like to point out that studies show that wearing bras cause breasts to sag

But I think woman should be able to go topless if they would like to

Aint hurting no one

And maybe people would have more self confidence if society didnt constantly censor their bodies

Also this

I don't mind women being topless at the beach. Furthermore I think it's bad taste for a man to be topless anywhere else than the beach.

So beach=topless, anywhere else=no-no. Doesn't matter the sex.

Cream

Banned

THIS IS JUST AN ANALOGY, but it was also sexist for women to be kept from voting, or going to school, or anything really, even when a majority of them were okay with not.

Just because a group is passive towards oppression, doesn't stop it from being oppression.

Christopher

THIS IS JUST AN ANALOGY, but it was also sexist for women to be kept from voting, or going to school, or anything really, even when a majority of them were okay with not.

Just because a group is passive towards oppression, doesn't stop it from being oppression.

What a horrible analogy

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I disagree. It's a quite obvious instance of sexism. Women are restricted from something men are able to do because...that's just the popular opinion, or that's the tradition. These are not adequate justification.

The reason we have a NSFW disclaimer on the board is not because the users of this site consider female nipples indecent, but because the rampant sexism of our society could result in causing offense at our workplaces if we were to view such material there unexpectedly.
You can label the thread NSFW to completely avoid that, but you still can't post women's nip nips out in the open.

wildfire

Banned

Good analogy. This is the problem I have with the breast ban. I don't see why the penalty a woman should deal with is being arrested and fined or jailed when us men don't have to deal with this.

I wouldn't really care as much about this debate if the penalties for this double standard weren't so severe. If you have a problem with some girl walking around topless that's your prerogative but there isn't any practical reason to have this codified into law.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just out of interest this would also make a man grabbing a woman's breasts against her will minor hijinks and not sexual assault right?

Prototype

It is quite important to the conversation. It shows you are willing to abide by some site's standards and not by others. It means it is hypocritical from tte start. I found your adressal of it insufficient to dispell that notion. NeoGAF and Facebook both are allowed to define their standards, especially taking into account where both would be opened. The point you want to make is also flawed because there are numerous places where it is allowed to walk around topless. It isn't allowed to show that on Facebook or NeoGAF with you only breaking that rule on one.
It got taken down from Facebook, why would I risk it getting taken down, and possibly getting banned on a site I love more?
I still wanted to have a conversation about it though. So here we are.

That's why I think people pointing this out are missing the focal point of the conversation. Getting the topic closed and not having the conversation at all is worse imo.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault

So reaching for the breasts would be assault, grabbing them would be battery, which the poster I responded to classified as "hijinks".
How many people do you think have been convicted of purely placing there hands on a man's chest and giving them a gentle rub?

"At common law, simple battery is a misdemeanor. The prosecutor must prove all three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

an unlawful application of force
to the person of another
resulting in either bodily injury or an offensive touching."

How many people do you think have been convicted of purely placing there hands on a man's chest and giving them a gentle rub?

"At common law, simple battery is a misdemeanor. The prosecutor must prove all three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

an unlawful application of force
to the person of another
resulting in either bodily injury or an offensive touching."
Can you please re-read what you bolded there?

Booshka

"Hey guys, in this hypothetical world where women are walking around topless, how much trouble would I get in if I touched them?"

Lemme check Wikipedia and find out.

Jak140

...As far as I know it would be classified under sexual assault.

And it is still illegal even when you go topless.
I do think there is semblance of a point in the implications of that. Is it unequal that women can't go topless in places where men can? Absolutely. Is it inherently sexist? That is less clear. I think most people would agree that a woman having her chest touched without warning is more of an invasion of personal space than the same happening to a man. So do I think women should be able to go topless in places where men can? Sure, and the notion that children need to be protected from the sight of a full grown woman's boobs is just puritanical holdover, though honestly, I agree with the notion that aside from when near a swimming area, I think its weird when dudes go shirtless in most public places too. But clearly there is more to how we treat men and women's chests differently than sexism, unless we want to throw out the notion that touching a woman's chest unannounced is more of a violation than touching a man's, which I'm sure most of the people debating this topic don't.

Syriel

It's all about intent.

If a woman or man is just walking around topless, there's nothing sexual.

If a woman or man is topless, rubbing themselves and moaning, that's probably indecent exposure.

By the same token, if someone trips and ends up grabbing me for balance, there's nothing there that would fall under sexual or assault.

If someone just grabs my nips though (I'm a guy), they're likely getting punched.

I would assume that a woman would have the same reaction.

Jak140

It's all about intent.

If a woman or man is just walking around topless, there's nothing sexual.

If a woman or man is topless, rubbing themselves and moaning, that's probably indecent exposure.

By the same token, if someone trips and ends up grabbing me for balance, there's nothing there that would fall under sexual or assault.

If someone just grabs my nips though (I'm a guy), they're likely getting punched.

I would assume that a woman would have the same reaction.
If you punch a woman for grabbing your chest, she is not the one who is going to get charged for assault.

unless we want to throw out the notion that touching a woman's chest unannounced is more of a violation than touching a man's, which I'm sure most of the people debating this topic don't.
I don't see any reason why the two shouldn't be dealt with identically in a fair, just society. The problem is that we live in a society of gender biases propped up by gender biases. There is a perception that men should always welcome the touch of a woman, or that if they did object to it, they would be subject to ridicule. If public decency laws were altered to permit women to be topless on public beaches, it would be problematic, and we might need to treat such offenses against women more harshly to protect the rights of women, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.

Jak140

I don't see any reason why the two shouldn't be dealt with identically in a fair, just society. The problem is that we live in a society of gender biases propped up by gender biases. There is a perception that men should always welcome the touch of a woman, or that if they did object to it, they would be subject to ridicule. If public decency laws were altered to permit women to be topless on public beaches, it would be problematic, and we might need to treat such offenses against women more harshly to protect the rights of women, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.
I don't disagree with most of what you are saying here, but I think some (certainly not all) of the differences in laws and cultural norms can be attributed to biological differences rather than sexism. Note that I'm talking about actual biological differences here, like menstruation, child bearing, average physical strength, breast development due to estrogen, hormone levels, etc, not some kind of gender phrenology bullshit. The fact that those inherent physiological differences exist mean that even in a theoretically fair society, not everything could be treated identically between genders. Instead, I think it would be healthier to recognize that differences occasionally arise due to biology, but also not stigmatize those who do not fit into traditional gender roles. Culturally, and possibly due to evolutionary biology, the form of the female breast is viewed as more sexual than male breasts. Breasts are a sexually dimorphic trait, so viewing a female version as more sexual is not the equivalent of, for example, saying a bare female ankle is immodest while a male one is not. Therefore, I don't think we can say definitively that it's inherently sexist that a cultural norm might consider their exposure as more sexual or immodest than a male chest. Of course nudity is not intrinsically sexual, the idea that anyone needs to be protected from non-sexual nudity is a cultural one, not a biological one, which is why I agree that anywhere a man can go shirtless a woman should be able to go topless, I just don't agree that this is necessarily an issue of sexism.

As a male, I'm all for making it illegal for men to walk around topless in public.

Actually scratch that. How else would I be able to spot douches. ._.

*Disclaimer: from the UK, so if a man is topless, it's not usually going to be because it's too warm.*

edit: I apologise if I offended any nudists. I just find topless men icky. Nothing against women walking around topless though.

I'm not very attracted to feminine chests. So even if it were allowed or common, it wouldn't be very sexual for me.

But I think that women should definitely be able to go topless without getting in trouble or being shamed. Women's chests aren't any more sexual than men's chests. And women should be allowed to go topfree.

And men's chests and women's chests shouldn't be treated differently.
I'm sometimes attracted to men's chests. That doesn't mean that men's chests should be censored, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom