• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I really don't like how video game music is no longer, well, video game music

smudge

There is some great indy game music, to list a few. Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Shovel Knight and Castle Crashers.

One game series I feel that has really lost its charm on the music front is Pokemon.

Battle themes are still mostly good but that's because they intentionally ape all past battle themes in tempo, energy and feel. And Pokemon centers keep the classic theme which is as memorable as ever.

Outside of that there is a lot of bland BS that isn't technically a poor composition but is just completely unmemorable. Like this or this.

Mario is still one series you can count on to have proper videogamey tunes though.

Molemitts

I'd prefer to look at this on a case by case music and see which style of music fits with which game. I think the recent Ratchet and Clank game had a pretty lame soundtrack compared to the original, though, as it felt like a more generic movie soundtrack and that really didn't work.

Phediuk

Did this thread fall out of 2009?

Would've been a lot more relevant before indies become the dominant force they are now.

Crayolan

Was the music you liked used for anything other than games that had levels that took 3-5 minutes? Even old Doom levels were relatively short.

What about Warcraft 2? Civilization 2? Still video game music?

My guess is that the decline of the game music that you enjoyed was a result of improvements in technology and increase in game level length.

I mean, if you had to drive around a GTAV sized world with the soundtrack from Road Rash or play through Dark Souls with the tracks from Golden Axe you'd go insane or at least drive everyone else around you insane.

There are plenty of games which have huge open areas which keep the same music throughout.

One example is Xenoblade, where you can spend hours exploring a single area and only mainly (exception being battles) hearing 2 tracks-the daytime version and nighttime version of the area theme. The music is great enough that it never becomes repetitive though.

Ulysses 31

I find Blizzard especially guilty of this, just compare Diablo 2(Non LoD) and 3 soundtracks, StarCraft and StarCraft 2.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You had to be more creative when you had sound limitations such as the hardware to work under. It was bound to become less of a priority when those constraints gradually lifted

I don't think its that big a deal, but i can see why some might miss those times. The real issue your looking for is memorable sound direction and music, which is still around to some degree.

oni-link

The strange thing is I actually ended up liking the soundtrack more the more I played the game. The same thing happened with Mass Destruction in Persona 3. Choke it up to Stockholm Syndrome, I guess.

I don't actually think the music in Xenoblade X is bad, it's more than it's soundtrack is inconsistent and it goes out of its way to front load the bad songs

The city music is terrible and so is the mech flight music, and those play so often and for so much of the game, the better tracks are always cut off after a few seconds

You had to be more creative when you had sound limitations such as the hardware to work under. It was bound to become less of a priority when those constraints gradually lifted

I don't think its that big a deal, but i can see why some might miss those times. The real issue your looking for is memorable sound direction and music, which is still around to some degree.

Additionally, there weren't realistic footsteps and explosions and voice acting, the music was nearly all you heard. And with so few "instruments" to play, strong melodies had to be written - atmospheric, moody stuff that fades into the background was harder to do.

So we end up with all these really catchy songs that get stuck in your head.

What I hate the most is orchestral music. Its not memorable at all in most cases.

Eh, nah. The OST's of the Souls games are some of the most memorable in the past 10 years imo. Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Final Fantasy...I could go on.

I don't agree with OP's stance anyway. Game music is no less 'gamey' than it was before in my opinion, the difference is just that we're able to capture audio in a much higher clarity, and aren't limited by technology. Music has just evolved in the same way graphics have.

danmaku

I want a 2D AAA game that feels, in every respect, like what 90's developers would make if they were given modern computing power. Like a 2D Metroid with the best team and an insane budget. I think other people that aren't me might like that too.

Ori and the blind forest it's basically what I thought games were going to be as a kid.

Also, OP is making a strange equivalence between "good music" and "catchy tunes". Music doesn't need to be easy to remember to be good and, more important, to fit the game.

The same goes for movies i think. It's all "orchestral ambient"

I can't whistle a single main theme from a movie since Batman 1989 or something...

valkyre

Well I disagree.

If you dont want audio to evolve, then graphics shouldnt evolve, storytelling shouldnt evolve and we would just be stuck in 16-32bit gaming eras.

You cant have advanced graphics and realistic characters with the audio cues of Final Fantasy VII for example... it just doesnt make sense its unnatural.

bomblord1

Banned
There's a great video on why this happened by extra credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKgHrz_Wv6o

What you're seeing is an evolution of technology allowing music to no longer require a strong focus on melody (music with strong melodies tend to be ear worms) and have instead shifted to their actual purpose, tone setting.

Back when technology could only produce a few distinct sounds at once if the tune didn't have a strong melody it sounded really bad.

Roubjon

I mean, the GTA V one is awesome and I haven't even played the game. The Mario one is also great as it's like a goofy ragtime song. They both do completely different things, and that's why they are both really good. That Mario song would not work in GTA V at all, and te GTA V song wouldn't work in Mario.

EDIT: And yes I know that GTA V version of the song is the Flinstones Parody version lol.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ori and the blind forest it's basically what I thought games were going to be as a kid.

Also, OP is making a strange equivalence between "good music" and "catchy tunes". Music doesn't need to be easy to remember to be good and, more important, to fit the game.

Sheeeeiiittt, still haven't played that one. Need to soon.

SUPER agree. I get that it can't all be chiptunes, but every time I hear a generic bombastic LoTR knockoff soundtrack...or any over-orchestrated Hollywood knockoff, I just tune out. So many AAA trailers, I know exactly what it's going to sound like before I click on it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Are there any podcasts available on iTunes that talk about and let you listen to VGM? Would sub that in a heartbeat

Not iTunes, but Emily Reese has a consistently interesting podcast

http://lwer.podbean.com/

Like everything else in the VGM world though, don't expect its reach to be omniscient. As the podcasts typically include interviews with people in the industry, it tends to focus on certain cliques.

So many AAA trailers, I know exactly what it's going to sound like before I click on it.

Kanye West?

What you're seeing is an evolution of technology allowing music to no longer have to have a strong focus on melody (music with strong melodies tend to be ear worms) and have instead shifted to their actual purpose tone setting.

Back when technology could only produce a few distinct sounds at once if the tune didn't have a strong melody it sounded really bad.

Thanks for the link, watching now

nkarafo

I agree with you OP. This is a problem with most AAA games at least. I think they sound so generic that, to me, it feels like they are using sound footage from stock libraries or something like that.

Oare

TLDR: Do you miss the times when every single piece of video game music was a potential earworm or am I an old man yelling at cloud?

Nintendo's the worst offender in my opinion.
This company had some of the greatest, catchiest tunes in the industry.

Now it has elevator music.
So sad.

royox

I don't agree at all. Like with everything, nowadays there are IMPRESSIVE OST with memorable tracks and there are absolutely forgettable OST.

Yeah, you can play a game today and when you turn off your console think "I don't even remember the music of what I was playing". But also there's still the opposing thing.

I'm sorry OP...but reading your post while hearing FFXIV Heavensward's tracks wasn't helping your point ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg

Not iTunes, but Emily Reese has a consistently interesting podcast

http://lwer.podbean.com/

Like everything else in the VGM world though, don't expect its reach to be omniscient. As the podcasts typically include interviews with people in the industry, it tends to focus on certain cliques.

Kanye West?

I like RPGFan's Rhythm Encounter.
http://www.rpgfan.com/rhythm_encounter.html

Also this.

Thanks guys!

By the way; Emily Reese is on iTunes! https://itunes.apple.com/nl/podcast/level-with-emily-reese/id1066562311?l=en&mt=2

Chao

What you're seeing is an evolution of technology allowing music to no longer have to have a strong focus on melody (music with strong melodies tend to be ear worms) and have instead shifted to their actual purpose tone setting.

Will give it a watch,sounds very interesting

Baleoce

I think to try to contain VGM within a stereotype of just music with strong motifs does it an injustice. VGM is the powerhouse it is today because it is such a diverse format. It's like a freedom of expression, and whatever enhances the game ultimately is all that matters.

Momentary

Banned
Metal Gear Rising and Danmaku Unlimited 2's soundtracks aren't videogamey, but damn. Also Remember Me's soundtrack had orchestrated/electronic music and I thought that was amazing as well.

I think the most recent game I've played with a badass soundtrack that people consider videogamey would be DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours.

jotun?

I love the new DooM. But uh, where's the kickin' tunes? Where's my jams? Only when some big fight breaks out there's music. But that makes makes the exploring really boring IMO.

And it's why I can't get into a lot of games. If there's no music, it feels SO empty to me. It's really lame.
This kind of thing bugs me too.

Rocket League, nice soundtrack, but why is it only in the main menu? Why can't I get music while actually playing, at least as an option?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree with the OP. Undertale is probably the only game I've played in the last 5 years where I can actually remember/hum any of the tracks. Man the music in that game is fantastic.

Atmospheric music is essential to a lot of games but it's not memorable, almost by design.

lazygecko

I think to a degree people underestimate just how much this memorability was due to sheer, blunt repetition. Modern soundtracks being built on dynamic cues largely killed that repetition. This also ties into how by and large people's appreciation of music is founded on pattern recognition (much in the same way that all the biggest pop hits just recycle the same chord progressions over and over). Dynamic, nuanced soundtracks means less discernable patterns. Even when soundtracks do employ leitmotifs people tend not to notice, because composers aren't so blunt and overt when they recontextualize them.

I like to bring up the soundtracks of Morrowind and Oblivion in these discussions since they represent an interesting conundrum which sort of reinforces this point. The general concensus is that these two are very good, memorable standout examples of modern (nevermind that morrowind is nearly 15 years old) game soundtracks. But each track taken on their own aren't really that different from any other orchestral fantasy score. It's just that the way the soundtracks are implemented into these games is very primitive. You have a simple playlist repeating the static tracks ad naseum. After spending countless hours wandering around in the overworld they just get burned into your mind.

Kid Ying

What I hate the most is orchestral music. Its not memorable at all in most cases.
I blame it on composers. When the music is good, an orchestra will make it all better (see phoenix Wright), but a lot of orchestral themes these days are boring and uninspired. Most of the times they seem to be there just to add to the "epicness".

kinggroin

Banned
I know that many indie games have fantastic music, I've listened to some Shovel Knight tracks and sounds awesome, but it's more the fact that bigger budget games are abandoning this kind of sound and use ambient music, that although it can sound really good, it's not what I will remember 20 years from now.

I love vg music remixes and covers, and I'm having a hard time trying to picture how an UC4 cover would sound like because I don't remember the music at all.

It would be cool to have catchy music in bigger productions too, but I guess it wouldn't fit with the more cinematic approach.

I still remember the theme songs to RoboCop, Starship Troopers, Conan the Barbarian, Forrest Gump, Terminator etc. Cinema. Films.

Cinematic games don't have to be an exception to having memorable soundtracks, or even catchy ones. It's just that more often than not, the music is used to elevate atmosphere through its subtle ambience rather than drawing focus to itself.

jmood88

I like hearing good music, whether it's "simple" loops or big orchestral scores. I don't have nostalgia for any particular type of music, just make sure it's good.

Top Bottom