• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I regret buying Battlefield 1 over Titanfall 2

Vipu

Banned
There goes the interest I had in the game.

And this is what wrong information does...

I dont know in what kind of siberia that guy lives to have 100 players but its not total number of players on pc...

Usually its 2000-4000 at low population times
4000-6000 normal times
6000-10000 peak times

Games take few sec to 30sec find almost at all times.

JJD

Still waiting for a source. Why do I have to do research when the burden of proof is on you to provide a source on Titanfall 2 flopping.

Keep waiting, or better yet ask EA. It seems they are not comfortable talking about TF2 sales.

They were quick to announce BF1 as the biggest launch in DICE's history and yet for Titanfall 2 they haven't mentioned a thing, except that they are in for the "long run". Geez I wonder why.

It has charted at 5 in November's NPD yes, but this year software saw a 24% decrease in sales compared to last year and to get to that number the game was heavily discounted even before black friday.

I can't even fathom why you're trying to make this an argument.

The game flopped. This is pretty much a fact. It's common sense.

Can it somehow recover? Well that's the million dollar question.

The Dude

Keep waiting, or better yet ask EA. It seems they are not comfortable talking about TF2 sales.

They were quick to announce BF1 as the biggest launch in DICE's history and yet for Titanfall 2 they haven't mentioned a thing, except that they are in for the "long run". Geez I wonder why.

It has charted at 5 in November's NPD yes, but this year software saw a 24% decrease in sales compared to last year and to get to that number the game was heavily discounted even before black friday.

I can't even fathom why you're trying to make this an argument.

The game flopped. This is pretty much a fact. It's common sense.

Can it somehow recover? Well that's the million dollar question.

Yea I think the beta killed it for a lot of people, especially those who hate cod style feeling shooters. So that imho was the nail in the coffin. If it had its own identity outside of titans I think it would of fared better. People are getting sick of cod, so it makes sense that this game didn't do well

Lol TF2 feels nothing like BO3. If anything COD has been trying and failing to ape Titanfall ever since the first one.

I respect BF for what it is, but I'm having more fun with TF now than I have had in years with the BF series. Whether it flopped or not doesn't take anything away from it. That's mainly on EA for picking its release window.

Why does one game have to be shit for the other to be good anyway? These things are not mutually exclusive.

KodaRuss

I havent bought a COD game in a long time and I gave BF1 a try but again this is the same game we have been playing for a while in Battlefield it feels like. The last Battlefield I really loved was 2142 but that was a long time ago.

I really am enjoying Titanfall 2 a ton. Great change of pace for shooters and I love Last Titan Standing and Bounty Hunt. Obviously the campaign is awesome as well

JJD

Yea I think the beta killed it for a lot of people, especially those who hate cod style feeling shooters. So that imho was the nail in the coffin. If it had its own identity outside of titans I think it would of fared better. People are getting sick of cod, so it makes sense that this game didn't do well

It's a shame what happened to TF2. Respawn deserved better after all Activision did to then. Honestly I think a lot of the blame lies with EA that shouldn't have made the first one a console exclusive and should have secured a better launch window for the second.

But Respawn definitely has some responsibility as well. The first one was one of the more barebones MP games ever released...kinda like Battlefront. And as you said the second one beta's killed it to a lot of people, but I believe that it turned away people that actually liked TF1.

As I said, the question now is if the game can recover and how they can do it. EA seems to be willing to discount the game hard and that's a good thing, it makes easier to people who are in doubt to pull the trigger. You could find it for less than 30 bucks before black friday even on digital stores. Making the DLC free is great too, specially considering how quickly TF1 community died even on Xbox.

But considering how important those first weeks sales are to big AAA games, even if the game somewhat recovers I doubt it will ever meet EA/Respawn initial expectations.

Vipu

Banned

Beta was trash tho and they made tons of changes since that.
I agree that beta made lots of people not like TF2, but in release its not really what beta was.

The Dude

Beta was trash tho and they made tons of changes since that.
I agree that beta made lots of people not like TF2, but in release its not really what beta was.

I do think that they made a few decent changes but for me the final release still just didn't do it for me. I was a person that loved the original, hated titanfall 2s Beta, but I went in with an open mind and spent 60 anyways because I dont like judging a game on beta a lot of the time. But it just missed the mark entirely for me. And I don't think most people will go in still after disliking a beta so even tho many who bought it enjoy it, I think it was too late for the majority.

Iscariot

It really isn't, many people in the Tf2 thread said the core mechanics of gunplay is black ops 3ish. The feel of the game is so cod man, why deny it? Outside of the titans which are the best part, the game is call of duty. And the original games ttk was a notch longer, it felt like it's own game and not a total cod knockoff, I'm sorry that is how I feel because I spent 60 bucks on it, you think I want to feel that way? Not at all.

I don't know how you call a game with the movement options of TF|2 and the support for as many guns having accurate hipfire (which helps said movement system be viable) a COD clone.

The Dude

I don't know how you call a game with the movement options of TF|2 and the support for as many guns having accurate hipfire (which helps said movement system be viable) a COD clone.

The ttk, the actual pilot gunplay and how the weapons fire and feel is straight cod. Sure it has more movement options, doesn't change the cod ttk and feel of weapons.

deoee

The ttk, the actual pilot gunplay and how the weapons fire and feel is straight cod. Sure it has more movement options, doesn't change the cod ttk and feel of weapons.

I played cod advanced warfare last and it's nothing like Titanfall. The ttk may be similar but the weapon feel is so much better in Tf2. Also It tried to mimic the movement and failed horribly.

The Dude

I played cod advanced warfare last and it's nothing like Titanfall. The ttk may be similar but the weapon feel is so much better in Tf2. Also It tried to mimic the movement and failed horribly.

TTK is what makes most games feel different, cod is a who sees who first game and TF2 is no different with pilot combat

deoee

TTK is what makes most games feel different, cod is a who sees who first game and TF2 is no different with pilot combat

Yeah but most of the time in Tf2 I have plenty of time to react. I feel like battlefield 1 has even shorter ttk most of the time with all the tanks, at guns and snipers ohk you :D

Hristi

Me too on PC. Game is unplayable because of the directx crash. There's even a 400page thread about it on the official BF1 forums.

Nokterian

I own TF2, BF1 i also a played Overwatch.

And i even own CoD Infinite Warfare with MWR. Out of all these shooters i enjoy BF1 the most, the whole intens battle,sound,graphics are just mind blowing fun but also Operations is one of the greatest editions in BF1.

Titanfall 2 just feels meh overal in multiplayer, the hit detection is just awful, the single player is another thing it isn't fun either. Same thing with Overwatch i played a bunch of matches it does feel great with the different heros and such but to me the lack of diversity in matches just stops for me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah but most of the time in Tf2 I have plenty of time to react. I feel like battlefield 1 has even shorter ttk most of the time with all the tanks, at guns and snipers ohk you :D
It's always been "bullshit rains from the sky and you can't do shit" the video game and the addition of behemoths don't help in that case.

CryptiK

Battlefield royally fucked its community with the way Servers are atm. Titanfall never had it to begin with and while die out a lot quicker. So keep that in mind.

The Dude

Well, we couldn't be any further from agreement on that as the whole reason Battlefield has classes is because you can take hits, heal, help each other. Yes if someone runs out into open space like a moron they will die quickly, but you can have someone get the jump on you and you have a moment to react or take cover, or have someone heal you. Battlefield is a battle, call of duty is a bunch of lone wolves running around killing people in a blink of an an eye and is why there is no resemblance of stand-off battles. It's just who sees who fist.

But we will never see it the same when to me you have it sort of backwards in how it really is, so it's an agree to disagree things pretty much

deoee

It's always been "bullshit rains from the sky and you can't do shit" the video game and the addition of behemoths don't help in that case.

Yeah I really feel like most of my Battlefield 1 deaths are annoying and bullshit because I simply can't do anything against them >_>

It's the equivalent of throwing Nitro in Rainbow Six Siege xD

Well, we couldn't be any further from agreement on that as the whole reason Battlefield has classes is because you can take hits, heal, help each other. Yes if someone runs out into open space like a moron they will die quickly, but you can have someone get the jump on you and you have a moment to react or take cover, or have someone heal you. Battlefield is a battle, call of duty is a bunch of lone wolves running around killing people in a blink of an an eye and is why there is no resemblance of stand-off battles. It's just who sees who fist.

But we will never see it the same when to me you have it sort of backwards in how it really is, so it's an agree to disagree things pretty much

Okay.

Q8D3vil

I didnt play BF1, but my friend who tried TF2 in free weekend was shocked about how good it was and regret buying BF1 over it. He bought instantly though and we play it everyday now.

Bounty hunt is one of the best MP i played in the last 5 years. Shame that most people stick to Attrition.

RedFury

What's more annoying is BF players coming into a TF thread and crying about it.

Yes, I agree OP. Battlefield 1 bores me to tears, I just can't do it. Which sucks because I miss Bad Company 2 (my favorite), enjoyed 3 and 4. I play BF1 to play with my brother and nephew but find it to be a slow janky turd. The controls feel off and performance is shaky. It's like a combination of graphical glitches, movement mechanics, and over changes to "streamline" the game that kill it for me. People were saying battlefront was battlefield with a starwars skin. That wasn't true at all, the mechanics and the way game modes played were changed to something different entirely. That's OK because it worked for THAT game. BF1 dissapointed me because it's not a BF game it's just Battlefront with a BF skin...feels bad man. All I can hope for is Bad Company 3 that is faithful to the originals.

Edit: I can cope with the changes made, what I cannot forgive however is the controls. They feel so slow and janky not just in comparison to TF but it's own previous entries in the franchise. It makes gun play feel like garbage . I'm dissapointed I bought it, I would give the game away if it wasn't for my brother and nephew wanting to play.

JJD

BF TTK have been getting shorter ever since Bad Company 2. It's one of CODs influences on BF but I don't think it's necessarily bad.

Looking back at that game it was funny how long it took to take someone out. BF3 made it considerable quicker, BF4 even more so and I feel like BF1 has kinda perfected it as far as Battlefield games are concerned.

The only time you don't have time to react are sniper headshots and close range shotguns. Everything else gives you time to react (talking about infantry).

Submachine Guns have a similar TTK to BF4 but only at close range, mid range it takes a few more seconds and good luck getting kills with SMGs at long range (you can do it but most times it's better to save those bullets).

Assault Rifles take at least 2 shots to kill (headshot, chestshot) but more commonly 3 shots. You do have plenty of time to react since they fire slower but to make things more fair range is less of an issue (until very long ranges).

It seems LMGs got a buff on the last patch so their TTK is probably shorter. They were very inaccurate before and took a while to take someone down.

Battlefield Hardline apparently (it's been awhile since I played it) have TTKs as short as COD games and it seems the BF community didn't like it.

jackal27

Banned
I played Titanfall 2 for about 15 minutes and immediately began begging for it for Christmas.

I hate First Person Shooters.

I haven't played a Call of Duty since 4.

Dis game good.

We have at least one interview that I know of with Titanfall 2 developers saying that their design goals for multiplayer were to make the game more like Call of Duty. Of course they didn't invoke Call of Duty, they talked around it; but it's pretty clear what they were doing if you play the game.

Not sure why some people are trying to deny that when it was the developer's stated goal.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer

We have at least one interview that I know of with Titanfall 2 developers saying that their design goals for multiplayer were to make the game more like Call of Duty. Of course they didn't invoke Call of Duty, they talked around it; but it's pretty clear what they were doing if you play the game.

Not sure why some people are trying to deny that when it was the developer's stated goal.

Oh so in your world "more accesible" = "call of duty".

The Dude

Exactly. And they will deny it vehemently.

Gen 5 and going strong although I took a break for Oculus Touch (which is awesome). Haven't played BF1 since TF2's release...I had fun with it but after a week it started feeling a little lackluster. That's personal preference though, I always want to love Battlefield but something about the gameplay loop doesn't satisfy me or give me that adrenaline and sense of excitement.

I do still think the ttk is too fast in TF2, that isn't going to change. We've discussed it in the OT and I get the people that are happy with it the way it is, but I've always enjoyed arena style shooters where the encounters last longer. More dynamic, more possibility for crazy outcomes, and more room for mastery (as in fewer chances of unlucky/lucky moments *cough* hemlock *cough*).

deoee

Sure it's close to CoD, it's from the guys that made the best CoDs out there so what'd you expect?
Even Battlefield got way more CoD than it was, it's just natural for devs to imititate the game with the largest pop to take the smallest risk - why wouldn't they?

Game is pretty dope. Sadly that game didn't sell much to this point. It is enough to have a look at the playerbase at 8pm.

It's pretty dead on PC outside of Attrition. The other modes only have a couple hundred people at best. Some of them have double digits. Is it any better on PS4 or XB1?

The Dude

Gen 5 and going strong although I took a break for Oculus Touch (which is awesome). Haven't played BF1 since TF2's release...I had fun with it but after a week it started feeling a little lackluster. That's personal preference though, I always want to love Battlefield but something about the gameplay loop doesn't satisfy me or give me that adrenaline and sense of excitement.

I do still think the ttk is too fast, that isn't going to change. We've discussed it in the OT and I get the people that are happy with it the way it is, but I've always enjoued arena style shooters where the encounters last longer. More dynamic, more possibility for crazy outcomes, and more room for mastery (as in fewer moments of unlucky/lucky moments *cough* hemlock *cough*).

If they increased the ttk, I'd be stoked and would probably play it. I just find that ttk in itself un appealing as like you said a bit longer opens the door for more dynamic battles, more turn arounds, just a better battle.. But that to me is what makes a game feel like call of duty, a split second ttk is what you get.

I mean half the time I'd watch the kill cams, it was embarrassing to see guys who obviously aren't aiming but catch me in a quick spam of bullets and I die, pure call of duty.

deoee

It's pretty dead on PC outside of Attrition. The other modes only have a couple hundred people at best. Some of them have double digits. Is it any better on PS4 or XB1?

It's far from dead with enough people playing the major modes but yes, it could be better.

Ps4 and Xbox have much larger playerbases, I don't have exact numbers but they're > 10k / 15k I think.

The Dude

Sure it's close to CoD, it's from the guys that made the best CoDs out there so what'd you expect?
Even Battlefield got way more CoD than it was, it's just natural for devs to imititate the game with the largest pop to take the smallest risk - why wouldn't they?

Bro, Battlefield is nothing like cod. You really need to stop thinking this. You can hate Battlefield and find it the worst shooter in the world and that's fine, but call of duty it is fucking not, not even close... There is not a single thing that is similar other than they both have guns.

RedFury

It's far from dead with enough people playing the major modes but yes, it could be better.

Ps4 and Xbox have much larger playerbases, I don't have exact numbers but they're > 10k / 15k I think.
Higher PS4 ~20 000 just like an hour ago.

deoee

Bro, Battlefield is nothing like cod. You really need to stop thinking this. You can hate Battlefield and find it the worst shooter in the world and that's fine, but call of duty it is fucking not, not even close... There is not a single thing that is similar other than they both have guns.

I'm not saying it's like CoD I said it's more CoD like than it was in previous Battlefields.
Also I do not hate Battlefield :D

Vipu

Banned

Its as much cod as tf2 with your logic.
If fast TTK makes TF2 CoD then slow movement and camping makes BF1 CoD.

But I agree TTK is too low in TF2 and would like it be higher, still I like TF2 more than BF or other slow shooters.

The Dude

I'm not saying it's like CoD I said it's more CoD like than it was in previous Battlefields.

Well again not in my book, I been playing Battlefield now for ages and the one common theme is I always enjoy Battlefield and hate call of duty. The minute Battlefield has any type of cod feel id dislike it greatly.

tmac456

haven't really enjoyed BF1 but also haven't committed a lot of time to it. something about it is just turning me off

Top Bottom