• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think Death Stranding is a Fake Game.

Mackers

Or, if the middle three threads are really just one each, EAT STING. Maybe the next trailer will have Norman Reedus eating the stinger of a wasp to enter another dimension with the secret alien monsters to defeat them and save the world of this totally real video game.

So your saying Reedus' character is The Pains grandson? MGS6 confirmed!

The game will play like MGS5: stealth/exploration/shooting.

And then gets bonkers with boss fights. But the core gameplay I think it's pretty clear.

The less predictable element is the double-world feature, we'll see if/how often you can/will be transported to one of the two (more?) dimensions.

And time travel too.

Anyway, I'm in.

Fuck Konami.

ruvikx

Banned
MGS 5 was hyped to infinity & beyond by Kojima's ever-faithful cyber-superfans. There are GAF threads way back before its release where people speculated about Ishmael, the horns on Snake's head & absolutely every miniscule detail to the point of going beyond obsessive.

The final game was narratively shallow & left no lasting impression, nor did it have a pop culture impact (which Kojima fans strive for). But here we are again, where everything is ultra-dissected in Death Stranding before its release, with Kojima using viral marketing (i.e. with the "mysteriousness" of what has been shown so far fuelling fandom theories which create free hype).

"Eat standing".

TE96hKA.jpg

K1Expwy

'Death Stranding' and 'Metal Gear Solid' do have the same letter count.

Beyond some plot twists that are customary for nearly every Kojima game for the past 30 years, I'm not expecting any megatons.

Final Death Stranding trailer: Norman Reedus guts the baby with a Bowie knife. Snake bursts from inside.

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

Kojima productions logo appears and dissolves into Konami's while Pennywise the clown laughs in the background.

"Metal Gear Solid VI: Death Stranding: releasing november 2019"

And...

"Metal Gear Solid VI: Phantom Baby coming 2021"

Last edited:

Eliciel

I agree while I believe final Product will still be borderline comparable. For me the biggest question Mark is what a "Strand Game" is.

HE1NZ

Banned
I think it's some kind of wacky survival horror where you don't get a gun until 1/3 into the game. Open world Alien Isolation of sorts.

Helios

I think it's some kind of wacky survival horror where you don't get a gun until 1/3 into the game. Open world Alien Isolation of sorts.
You have to piss on monsters to defeat them before you acquire a gun. If having your bellend in front of a monster's face isn't peak survival horror I don't know what is.

VertigoOA

Banned
Almost all MGS3 trailers had fake content...

The more I hear about it the less interested I am. What they showed is kinda trash.

However Kojima is the greatest soooo ... day one

Last edited:

Zannegan

BVraW0R.jpg

And what. are. those. strands. .
Umbilical cords, no?

EDIT: Keep in mind, this is the guy who thought "transfarring" was a catchy sounding term. Whales get stranded and die, there are strands that connect the ghost people, an umbilical cord is kind of like a strand, in a way, and the game's all about the baby. The title's probably just the sort of bad pun a non-native speaker of English would come up with and think sounds cool. *shrug*

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
no, it's a real game.

i don't even understand this "fake game" conspiracy. what do you think the real game is?

this is the same as that bs MGSV rumor. "they made a totally different game, which we won't describe in any way, just trust us, it's totally new"

look you don't have to buy it. you don't have to buy every game. that's ok. but to invent some conspiracy theory to explain why you don't want to play a game? maybe it's just not for you?

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Guys, I figured it out. The strands in the logo only drop off certain letters spelling “Eat Standing”. That’s the real goal of the game. Once you eat standing, game over.

Edit: Aww several posts too late.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Fake? Not at all. Still not clear for many? Maybe

Lots of trailers gave us an idea of what this game is about. Maybe the way Kojima showing the game is confusing? I don’t know but I’m not confused at all

flacopol

that´s is what you want after see a little more of the game :/

At the beginning I thought that this game was some kind of "first 10 minutes of the game the main char is dreaming" and after that Silent Hill starts... but :' (

But was only hoping , kudos to the dev that migrate PT to PC

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
With no life-forms on the planet

And Silent Hill is a deserted/empty town, populated only by a few survivors. the ghosts that haunt them, and attack anyone foolish enough to stumble in...

You blow that scenario up to a continental scale, garnish it with SF trappings to throw Konami's lawyers off the scent, and what do you get? Bear in mind now that the world is so big that you can't escape the haunting grounds, and everyone is so separated by distance that actual face-to-face meetings border on impossible, how do you organize and survive?

I could be setting myself up for a delicious serving of crow here, but I think that's basically what Death Stranding is.

Kojima has been blinding us with fragmentary bits of lore, stressing the finding/re-connecting with survivors, and above all else hiding the monsters and overall supernatural tone of the shenanigans, to distract from the fact that this is a just a large scale survival horror game.

Reactions: GHG

Shifty1897

I think the game's real, but some of the gameplay mechanics haven't been shown yet.

I don't think the game will be great.

I can't wait for it to come out and try it and finally see if it will be the game of the year or a game of s**t, 'cause surely there will be no the middle way.

wolywood

Kojima's like, yeah I just have this game and I've shown three years of trailers for it but no one has any idea what the premise of the plot even is. It's a game about walking, and pissing, and you have a baby attached to you who you care for in gameplay segments where you sit down and rotate the camera and do nothing! It's very revolutionary. Sometimes you meet people and there are demons and stuff who are there but not really there...Oh yeah I just put these weird strands on the game logo because you know, it's Death "Stranding", I didn't actually mean anything, sometimes I just do things that have no hidden meaning at all in my games! Nothing at all. Hahaha.

Sounds like the video game version of Mulholland Drive.

I just think to myself, "if someone who people generally perceived as smart or intellectual wanted to troll everyone by coming up with the most nonsensical, intentionally ambiguous and goalless story and characters ever, and also the most pretentious, pseudo immersive "gameplay" to go along with it, isn't Death Stranding exactly what that looks like?"

Kojima's like, yeah I just have this game and I've shown three years of trailers for it but no one has any idea what the premise of the plot even is. It's a game about walking, and pissing, and you have a baby attached to you who you care for in gameplay segments where you sit down and rotate the camera and do nothing! It's very revolutionary. Sometimes you meet people and there are demons and stuff who are there but not really there...Oh yeah I just put these weird strands on the game logo because you know, it's Death "Stranding", I didn't actually mean anything, sometimes I just do things that have no hidden meaning at all in my games! Nothing at all. Hahaha.

Do people really believe this? I don't. You heard it here first, Death Stranding is not Death Stranding. Goddamnit that name just sounds like anagram.

BVraW0R.jpg

And what. are. those. strands. This guy just did this shit with Phantom Pain in a way more cryptic manner and people think there's nothing here? I don't believe it. I bet Kojima is somewhat disappointed that we haven't figured it out yet tbh.

Kojima just shown that you can even... Show - sorry for the repetition - a man peeing on a hill, and the crowd will react like it's the most incredible thing ever
A " stupid "crowd enchanted only by your " aura " as a videogame celebrity, those" woooow " from the crowd at the press conference felt more like ass licking to me
For this reason, he must be very confident in his game, at the point he could have shown something completely different, yes
We'll know the truth with the next tgs gameplay, and Probably with the misterious briefing trailer

Anyway, I think he played too much, - 2.5 month before release is a little too exaggerated even if you made legendary games
People are starting getting tired, he should undestand this

Last edited:
How sick would it be if this was actually "Silent Hills" and Kojima somehow secured the rights to the franchise before leaving Konami? Same eerie atmosphere. Same actors. Same Hideo Kojima. :messenger_face_screaming: #believe

edit: I just googled this theory and it's already a thing apparently.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Kojima just shown that you can even... Show - sorry for the repetition - a man peeing on a hill, and the crowd will react like it's the most incredible thing ever
a million games come out where you just shoot someone and the crowd reacts like it's the most incredible thing ever. because that's what a crowd does at a massive videogame industry event.

at any rate, there is no reason why even peeing can't be made into a great play mechanic. all you are doing in a game is pressing a button and watching an action take place. people fawn all over each other for the ways that a gun shoots. it's all about the presentation.

i feel like people don't understand how art works. it's like that Beatles movie where they think you just have some guy record the same songs and of course he will get rich and famous. it doesn't work like that. it is entirely in the performance, in the execution. you can make a game with all the "right" elements, combat, level design, pickups, etc. and have it be an unenjoyable mess. you can make a game about peeing alone and have it be the best game ever made. it is about the execution. Koji games typically have amazing execution, they have now for decades.

people have lost sight of the fact that Kojima has already fundamentally altered how games are made and played multiple times. those unable to get his games, they need to content themselves with just not liking it. imagine if the first Metal Gear dropped nowadays, people would be "why do you have to avoid enemies? that is lame." yet he ignored that impulse, pursued his vision, and now the stealth genre is hugely popular.

Last edited:
a million games come out where you just shoot someone and the crowd reacts like it's the most incredible thing ever. because that's what a crowd does at a massive videogame industry event.

at any rate, there is no reason why even peeing can't be made into a great play mechanic. all you are doing in a game is pressing a button and watching an action take place. people fawn all over each other for the ways that a gun shoots. it's all about the presentation.

i feel like people don't understand how art works. it's like that Beatles movie where they think you just have some guy record the same songs and of course he will get rich and famous. it doesn't work like that. it is entirely in the performance, in the execution. you can make a game with all the "right" elements, combat, level design, pickups, etc. and have it be an unenjoyable mess. you can make a game about peeing alone and have it be the best game ever made. it is about the execution. Koji games typically have amazing execution, they have now for decades.

people have lost sight of the fact that Kojima has already fundamentally altered how games are made and played multiple times. those unable to get his games, they need to content themselves with just not liking it. imagine if the first Metal Gear dropped nowadays, people would be "why do you have to avoid enemies? that is lame." yet he ignored that impulse, pursued his vision, and now the stealth genre is hugely popular.
You're totally right, I understand your point
I love Kojima's sense of art and artistic view, Probably is the one among its talent that I appreciate more
It's only I'm starting to be a little tired and disappointed, and I'm not the only one
Hyping up a game as the gamescom big star ( Geoff has shown like, 5-6 trailers showcasing most of the event games? 90% of those trailers covered DS) only to show a character peeing mushrooms sounds more like a troll attempt, and wanting to march over fan faith in your regards

Syntethizing: I like when Kojima plays with his fans and make jokes, trolls and such, I only feel that starting from Gamescom, being serious about his next game would have been better
Lots of people are slowly starting losing interest
And since TGS will take place, will be 1.5 month before release
Don't you guys think it's a little late, to start talking for real about what the hell is this game?

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

And Silent Hill is a deserted/empty town, populated only by a few survivors. the ghosts that haunt them, and attack anyone foolish enough to stumble in...

You blow that scenario up to a continental scale, garnish it with SF trappings to throw Konami's lawyers off the scent, and what do you get? Bear in mind now that the world is so big that you can't escape the haunting grounds, and everyone is so separated by distance that actual face-to-face meetings border on impossible, how do you organize and survive?

I could be setting myself up for a delicious serving of crow here, but I think that's basically what Death Stranding is.

Kojima has been blinding us with fragmentary bits of lore, stressing the finding/re-connecting with survivors, and above all else hiding the monsters and overall supernatural tone of the shenanigans, to distract from the fact that this is a just a large scale survival horror game.

I think he had no idea what he was going to make when he released those fucked up teasers and so he made what looks like a MGS clone, so far.

GHG

Gold Member
I think he had no idea what he was going to make when he released those fucked up teasers and so he made what looks like a MGS clone, so far.

It looks nothing like previous MGS games though?

Considering how deliberate he's been with his previous work (even down to little things like dates he releases things on) I don't think there's much basis upon which to say he's just haphazardly thrown this all together over the last 2-3 years.

You guys remember this from P.T.

"...after killing his family, the father hung himself with a garden hose they had in the garage" then at the same time overlaid "...after killing his family the father hung himself with an umbilical chord they had in the garage." (in a different voice implying the same events happened in a different universe but they're all connected)... it's all about parallel universes. I believe death stranding is all a ruse like moby dick. Come at me bros.

Top Bottom