• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Death Stranding is going to flop and I'm scared

It is a hyped up AAA open world game, it will do fine. Will it be a good game? No, of course not, but it will get good ratings and sell well.

You know, I actually agree with this. Lackluster gameplay mechanics usually don’t seem to bother most gamers with open world games. Seems like no matter how crappy a open world game plays, people will generally give it a pass because it’s supposedly immersive, huge and bloated full of “content”.

Considering MGS 5 was one of the biggest scams of 2015 gaming(only thing saving gaming for me that year was TW3) this shouldn't surprise anyone. Kojima is kind of overrated, with his last good game being that PT demo which went nowhere.

I’m expecting Death Stranding to be good, but I think it would be more advantageous to the game if it was linear. Honestly, I think that’s what hurt MGS5 the most. The open world and mission structure was just so repetitive and kind of lifeless I thought. Imho, the linear missions in MGS5 were by far the most memorable and best.

If Death Stranding is a little boring or has issues for example, I don’t think an extreme length will be doing it any favors. We will see though. I have confidence in Kojima-san though. It isn’t like he makes a lot of bad games or anything.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I’m expecting Death Stranding to be good, but I think it would be more advantageous to the game if it was linear. Honestly, I think that’s what hurt MGS5 the most. The open world and mission structure was just so repetitive and kind of lifeless I thought. Imho, the linear missions in MGS5 were by far the most memorable and best.

If Death Stranding is a little boring or has issues for example, I don’t think an extreme length will be doing it any favors. We will see though. I have confidence in Kojima-san though. It isn’t like he makes a lot of bad games or anything.
Tomokazu Fukushima Was the real talent behind mgs1-3 everything after that was the work of kojima. As unfortunate as that ended up being

So hyped? Not really. I mean yeah but some but in equal measure it's also been heavily shit on. This thread case and point.

Two sides of the same coin IMO. Any game that is eagerly anticipated is going to generate both hope and fear--and after launch, is likely to generate contentious opinions no matter how good it is. Of course, it really might suck, but chances are that even if it is amazing, there are gonna be plenty of haters. Regardless, "heavily shit on" = more attention and anticipation. It isn't being ignored. Negative excitement is still excitement.

Sales will be pretty good. Almost everyone knows about "DS". Even if there are people who seem not to like what has been shown to them.

And if that game has some online features, then they can get money by microtransactions

Jon Neu

Banned
i75mbum661311.jpg

>YOU STUPID FUCKING GOOK, YOU PROMISED ME THIS GAME WOULD REVOLUTIONIZE THE INDUSTRY AND PROPEL ME TO STARDOM, IT'S JUST A LAUGHING STOCK MAILMAN SIM
>AHHHHH YAMETE NORMAN REEDUSU-SAN I PROMISE SEQUER WIRR BE BETTER RECEIVED AHHHHHHHHHH

No, its ambiguity will forever protect it. People and fans can and will always say this game was an outlier or some kind of test experience.

Dont worry. You'll still bow beneath your false god.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

n0razi

It will be fine... you guys are being dramatic and freaking out like the guys who thought the world was going to end when Trump got elected

BootsLoader

Banned
It’s funny that some people are like “it’s going to flop like the order, I place it near driveclub, it will be a disaster” but in reality they have no idea about the game, have not played the game, no nothing about the story.

I understand that sometimes we can judge a game from a trailer etc but DS trailers have nothing to do with other game trailers +they tell us nothing about the story +it’s the first DS game, not a sequel.

BootsLoader BootsLoader

There have been plenty of leaks recently to suggest otherwise. For example if Shirako...the guy that when he plays a certain game, he dissects it to the smallest part and tests everything out, says that you are repeating same missions multiple times (same locations) just to have something happen 4 hours later and says the story pacing is worse that MGS5...yea, this guy is a legit gamer with a huge channel. He is not some hater, just always says like it is. Cant wait for the reviews tho. Especially from channels like ACG Karak Karak who never pad a games score.

Last edited:
BootsLoader BootsLoader

There have been plenty of leaks recently to suggest otherwise. For example if Shirako...the guy that when he plays a certain game, he dissects it to the smallest part and tests everything out, says that you are repeating same missions multiple times (same locations) just to have something happen 4 hours later and says the story pacing is worse that MGS5...yea, this guy is a legit gamer with a huge channel. He is not some hater, just always says like it is. Cant wait for the reviews tho.
One Youtuber has a hot take on the game and suddenly, everyone is losing hope that DS is anything good.

If the Metacritic is less than 90, I'll castrate myself.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Even if the gameplay were shitty (and thats worst case scenario) its not goimg to flop, never ever ever.its a SONY first party release have some confidence, of all games to worry about 🤨

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Even if the gameplay were shitty (and thats worst case scenario) its not goimg to flop, never ever ever.its a SONY first party release have some confidence, of all games to worry about 🤨
If gameplays is shit full of survival mechanics, there is supposed to be a super easy mode. I guess it would automate all of that so You can just roam around and experience the world and story

It's very sad that someone wants to make a game that bends the rules of open worlds by introducing a fascinating story and complex survival elements and a bunch of nobodies want it to fail just because it doesnt have the logo of their favourite brand on it. Moreover when you see these very people complaining about the industry being little innovative and making the same kind of games over and over.

Go play Fortnite, COD or whatever other generic crap you feed off.

McCheese

It sounds like it's weird as fuck and has a lot of mechanisms which will rub most gamers the wrong way.

It's very sad that someone wants to make a game that bends the rules of open worlds by introducing a fascinating story and complex survival elements and a bunch of nobodies want it to fail just because it doesnt have the logo of their favourite brand on it. Moreover when you see these very people complaining about the industry being little innovative and making the same kind of games over and over.

Go play Fortnite, COD or whatever other generic crap you feed off.

Its a postman game with a lot of cameos and self indulgence, not some indy masterpiece on a shoestring budget.

The shit I've heard about this, having to go back and do all the side quests, having to carry dead players away so you can even navigate the world, the trope driven storyline, the cliff hanger ending, major characters who are only in cut scenes..

Last edited:

5olid_5nake

Honestly, I have already prepared myself for the worst. And by that I don't mean it as a bad thing, I just have my expectations in check. Since MGSV I had this feeling of emptiness that I could never overcome and secretly hoped that it was all Konami's fault but... I don't know, we shall see.

In any case steelbook edition is pre-ordered and no matter if the game is good or not, I just wanted to show appreciation to the man that in small part defined my childhood since first MGS.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'm looking forward to it but based off of "tales from my ass" and some vids I think it'll be a 75 scoring type game, not a bad one but not a must have. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I mean from what I've seen so far, nothing tells me I need to play this game Day 1 or close to it. I definitely don't have the same vibe as the MG games. But I don't hope if flops. :(

silentstorm

See, i thought Disco Elysium was going to fail as a 40 bucks game without the best graphics ever, partial voice acting and it being almost entirely dialogue based, but then it seems like way more people are buying and talking about it than i expected, and then i remembered that this game is being made with Kojima in charge and i think, yeah, there's no chance this won't sell.

Just because some experimental or more weird games didn't set the world on fire, don't see many people talking about Hypnospace Outlaw for one quick example of a weird story-based game, doesn't mean the same will happen to all games that have the same trait of being different, particularly when they have someone famous like Kojima working on it.

Breakage

I think Kojima hyping this game up to be something game-changing will come back to haunt him.
From everything I have read and all the gameplay footage I have seen, there is nothing about DS that suggests this game is gonna shake up the industry.
The Like system? Nothing new
The way other players can jump in and toss items to the player? Nothing new
Terrain that gains more definition/becomes easier to traverse the more it is used? Interesting but not game-changing

I think Kojima hyping this game up to be something game-changing will come back to haunt him.
From everything I have read and all the gameplay footage I have seen, there is nothing about DS that suggests this game is gonna shake up the industry.
The Like system? Nothing new
The way other players can jump in and toss items to the player? Nothing new
Terrain that gains more definition/becomes easier to traverse the more it is used? Interesting but not game-changing
Nah, even if it was a Fallout 76 tier fuck up most of his fans would forgive, forget and just say ''well, it was the first game from his newly established studio, what did you expect?'' and the cycle would continue.

Anyway, the leaks look meh but they're exactly what I was expecting from neo KojiPro, so I'm going to reconfirm my double jump with both legs over this game.

It has sony backing. I am expecting it to be average at least.

That said I don't expect it to sell like mgs series even if it was stellar.

ZywyPL

Banned
Not a single chance - with over 100MLN PS4 sold, there's no way a Sony exclusive can flop, it will sell few MLN of copies just by pure curiosity of people who have no idea who Kojima/MGS is.

imsosleepy

The amount of people who just hope this game flops because the hate the praise kojima has got over the years is just INSANE. Wow, I really did not expect people on this forum to be like this.

New game, no lootboxes, trying to do something new. Implenting loads of high quality cutscenes because it wants to bring a great story to life. And yet so many people want it to flop wtf

Last edited:
Top Bottom