• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think I Was Wrong About Uncharted 4

black070

My opinion on the game upon replaying it was turned on its head too, I think once you approach the game without preconceived notions of what it should be you can fully appreciate what the game offers.

A lot of people on Gaf were wrong about UC4. Glad you've come to see the light, OP.

Don't try Crushing

Oh God, YES. I beat UC2 and UC3 on Crushing (though I had to exploit the AI to beat the final boss in UC2), but UC4 kicked my ass to a degree that I couldn't do it. =(

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Oh God, YES. I beat UC2 and UC3 on Crushing (though I had to exploit the AI to beat the final boss in UC2), but UC4 kicked my ass to a degree that I couldn't do it. =(
For real? I doubt it's going to be worse than U1 on Brutal though. Now THAT was something alright. It's like Crushing, just 10x harder. xD

For real? I doubt it's going to be worse than U1 on Brutal though. Now THAT was something alright. It's like Crushing, just 10x harder. xD

Yeah, around Chapter 13 or 14 (I think?), I had to lower the difficulty to hard. The arenas are hard as hell without being able to mark your enemies.

I never tried UC1 on Brutal, so I'll take your word for it. I was able to do UC2 and UC3, but with UC2's final boss, I did the technique where
you hang from an edge and the boss can't see you, then shot and ambushed him.

Well, if you get yourself to play a game you didn't like for a second time, perhaps the first time you didn't disliked as much as you thought?

UC4 thread?

Gotta throw in my two cents, OP.

UC4 is a fantastic game. My favorite in the series. But I think you and I might be at opposite ends of the spectrum on the game.

First, the combat, imho, is throwaway. Honestly, in a world where third person shooters have come a long ways since gears of war, despite very modest, incremental improvements, the gameplay largely feels "old." There aren't very many unique mechanics (maybe the whip I guess) that set it apart (or above) most tps games. Saying it has the best combat in the series is a real low bar.

Narrative - Hands down my favorite part of the game. I totally appreciate that the story is less bombastic and bit less of an action/Indiana Jones movie in favor of telling a more personal story, but that totally does it for me. Similar to TLoU, the focus is on these interpersonal relationships, between Nate and Elena, and Nate and Sam. This is where ND's graphical prowess serves them better than it ever has

*cue the gif of Elena's nose moving when they kiss*

It's so believable. ND has created some of the single best narrative driven experiences we've ever seen. Period. I think it's entirely wrong to tell them to "go make movies" though. I'd rather see them continue doing what they do, and try something more interesting mechanically next time out, versus giving up on mechanics all together.

My favorite game of last year. Get why it isn't for some who've been fans of 1-3, but man the story around those relationships is sooooo good.

Really, really good game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah, around Chapter 13 or 14 (I think?), I had to lower the difficulty to hard. The arenas are hard as hell without being able to mark your enemies.

I never tried UC1 on Brutal, so I'll take your word for it. I was able to do UC2 and UC3, but with UC2's final boss, I did the technique where
you hang from an edge and the boss can't see you, then shot and ambushed him.
Brutal difficulty is absolutely insane. Most enemies can basically one shot you and you have next to no ammo. Think I died more often in the first 2 levels on Brutal than in my entire Crushing run of U1. The last checkpoint on this ship before you down Navaros is really telling for the whole experience. You only get one shot in 10 tries to even attempt this section. The other 9 tries you die automatically after the QTE. First I thought the game was broken but thanks to Google I found out that you just have to try it often enough. xD Took me 2-3 months to beat the game on that difficulty.

Currently doing Crushing on U2 and - coming from U1 Brutal - don't find it to be that difficult. Thanks for the tip with Lazarevic. Was already wondering how you can beat him in the higher difficulties since he's already a pain in the ass on Normal. Probably my most hated boss fight ever.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think it's the worst because of that. If you're not stopping the bad guy from using the magic treasure to take over the world, why are you even doing anything?

The last two games ending with "eh changed my mind, I don't want the treasure anymore" after murdering thousands was just laughable.

Not to mention the Elena storyline was ruined to tell shoehorned in backstory that breaks the pre existing cannon, so what they replaced the stop the bad guy and Elena stories with isn't any good either.

Like the poster above said, it's half uncharted, half the last of us anf as a result bad at both.

I did enjoy the stealth combat alot though. But the story? Oh man hot garbage.
This story somehow won the best narrative too last year....god this medium..honestly the villain in this game didn't even do anything wrong. We're supposed to hate Rafe because he's rich and wants some credit for discovering the treasure too? I don't even know what the message of this game is supposed to be, because it's so interchangeable with 3, but at least that had somewhat of an ending that made sense. If you have a narrative where the characters are constantly reminded of the dangers of pursuing greed and obsession maybe don't reward them with that very greed and obsession at the end and make them richer than they were when the narrative starts. If we're talking equilibriums,
Nathan Drake starts UC4 with a big house and happy marriage but isn't satisfied because he's a masochistic asshole, the middle of the game is him pursuing greed and yet another obsession, and the new equilibrium is that he has two houses and owns a beach.
What message am I supposed to glean from that? That if I lie to my partner and get caught she'll forgive me anyway? That I will not be punished in anyway shape or form for my actions? That wealthy people who're literally in the middle of nowhere trying to do their own thing are inherently evil? This story literally has nothing of value to say about greed or obsession. In fact i've actually been playing through it with my partner and she appropriately nicknamed it the privilege simulator after seeing this scene:
uncharted-4-nathan-sam-drake-brother.png

Uncharted 4 is one of the best games for me this gen. It starts slow but at the same time i understand that, they had to tell a story that is well conceived and one that makes sense, it was actually the end of Nathan Drake story. I liked the fact that i could approach many situations in stealth mode, it's really fun !

Also, the gunplay and feedback is really good and well the graphics... wow !

I enjoyed my time with Uncharted 4 and some of its character story was awesome, but the overall treasure hunting adventure was so stupid.

Maybe it is a version of the sitcom clapping syndrome, but at some point in the game I was fed up with how stupid the treasure hunting part of the adventure was. Oh let us do this weird puzzle to open up this tomb sealed for centuries ....and the bad guys are already inside...great. I guess the other games used a supernatural element to fill in the blanks or maybe it didn't bother me as much until now. I just hated that part of the story .

Gold_Loot

This story somehow won the best narrative too last year....god this medium..honestly the villain in this game didn't even do anything wrong. We're supposed to hate Rafe because he's rich and wants some credit for discovering the treasure too? I don't even know what the message of this game is supposed to be, because it's so interchangeable with 3, but at least that had somewhat of an ending that made sense. If you have a narrative where the characters are constantly reminded of the dangers of pursuing greed and obsession maybe don't reward them with that very greed and obsession at the end and make them richer than they were when the narrative starts. If we're talking equilibriums,
Nathan Drake starts UC4 with a big house and happy marriage but isn't satisfied because he's a masochistic asshole, the middle of the game is him pursuing greed and yet another obsession, and the new equilibrium is that he has two houses and owns a beach.
What message am I supposed to glean from that? That if I lie to my partner and get caught she'll forgive me anyway? That I will not be punished in anyway shape or form for my actions? That wealthy people who're literally in the middle of nowhere trying to do their own thing are inherently evil? This story literally has nothing of value to say about greed or obsession. In fact i've actually been playing through it with my partner and she appropriately nicknamed it the privilege simulator after seeing this scene:
... I'm going to take quite the guess and and say you're rather young , yes?

"Privlage simulator?" Must be a last at parties.

Crossing Eden

... I'm going to take quite the guess and and say you're rather young , yes?
You realize that understanding privilege doesn't go away with age right?

"Privlage simulator?" Must be a last at parties.
Certainly am.

I enjoyed my time with Uncharted 4 and some of its character story was awesome, but the overall treasure hunting adventure was so stupid.

Maybe it is a version of the sitcom clapping syndrome, but at some point in the game I was fed up with how stupid the treasure hunting part of the adventure was. Oh let us do this weird puzzle to open up this tomb sealed for centuries ....and the bad guys are already inside...great. I guess the other games used a supernatural element to fill in the blanks or maybe it didn't bother me as much until now. I just hated that part of the story .
The lack of a supernatural twist does nothing to explain how pirates could've possibly built all of this infrastructure, established a colony with rules and such, and built things like this with the technology present in their century, (not to mention the materials required, the cost of not only placing the statues but hiding them):
Uncharted%25E2%2584%25A2%2B4_%2BA%2BThief%25E2%2580%2599s%2BEnd_20160513202109.png

like I can at least believe that satellites never found those ancient civilizations as they were magical in some form. I appreciate the effort that went into upgrading their rendering tech by a substantial degree, and making combat that actually feels good subpar stealth aside. TLOU had several messages to be gleaned from it's narrative. UC4 really didn't. Unless the message is "don't pursue greed unless you're specifically Nathan Drake."
aka the guy who doesn't kill people in cold blood despite snapping at least a few dozen necks and straight up bragged about it by the time that line is uttered by Rafe.. ¬_¬

prag16

Banned
Man, some of the posts in this topic. I guess there's a hyperbolic hate force for everything.

I think it was the best Uncharted game, slightly above 2. I really didn't mind the pacing for the most part, and I was one who complained about he endless waves of bullet sponge enemies in the trilogy, so having a somewhat lower combat go game length ratio didn't bother me.

Some aspects of the story were a little weak/contrived. Having to shoehorn Sam into the existing framework of Nate's past was a little sloppy at times. But on the whole, great game.

Brutal difficulty is absolutely insane. Most enemies can basically one shot you and you have next to no ammo. Think I died more often in the first 2 levels on Brutal than in my entire Crushing run of U1. The last checkpoint on this ship before you down Navaros is really telling for the whole experience. You only get one shot in 10 tries to even attempt this section. The other 9 tries you die automatically after the QTE. First I thought the game was broken but thanks to Google I found out that you just have to try it often enough. xD Took me 2-3 months to beat the game on that difficulty.

Currently doing Crushing on U2 and - coming from U1 Brutal - don't find it to be that difficult. Thanks for the tip with Lazarevic. Was already wondering how you can beat him in the higher difficulties since he's already a pain in the ass on Normal. Probably my most hated boss fight ever.

No problem! I thought I could take him, and some times I felt like, "This is the time I'm going to beat him!" but nope, he's a pain in the royal ass on Crushing.

This story somehow won the best narrative too last year....god this medium..honestly the villain in this game didn't even do anything wrong. We're supposed to hate Rafe because he's rich and wants some credit for discovering the treasure too?

I think you're supposed to hate him because he tries to kill you and he's shady.
He sent all his goons to kill you and sent Nadine to kick your ass while in Italy. It's not like he was doing his own thing and you kept trying to kill him. He then takes over Nadine's mercs at the end. He isn't just trying to beat you to the treasure; he's actively trying to end your life. It's not a friendly rivalry.

krae_man

People are saying this a lot but did Sam contradict backstory made in the other games or was it just the fact that he was added?

I thought the lack of supernatural was awesome. I mean I didn't dislike it in the three games but that's just it, we've had it for 3 games. It was nice to see a new angle. Like I said in OP. The pirate story was best yet in Uncharted and they really paralleled it well with Nate. I was impressed, especially reading the pirate letters where they missed their loved ones but they were getting the treasure "for them" to make their family better. It plays into Nate quoting "pirates will be pirates" like 10 times throughout the game and we are wondering if Nate will always be the same.

Sam wasn't as bad as Sully other then it made no sense that Sam wasn't mentioned in the third game even though both backstories basically take place at the exact same time.

Sully was worse. In the first cut scene with Sully in the first game he says "Nate do you trust me?" and Nate glares at him and says "more or less". Then later in the game Sully does something that proves Nate was right to not completely trust him.

In the third and 4th game, this was retconed into "Sully was Nate's adopted father and is selflessly looking out for Nates best interests at all times. Nate has zero reason to ever not have 100% trust in Sully.

There are a decent amount of people that didn't like fighting the infected in The Last of Us and thought the Human AI was better. What should Naughty Dog do about that? Should they just handwave away the infection between games and say "All the infected died off. We're now living in the aftermath and the world is still shitty"? Or should they make the infected encounters better? Well, we haven't seen the infected yet, so they might do this. Who knows:lol

Naughty Dog took the former when it comes to Uncharted and it was a mistake. At Least Crystal D knows this and kept it in Tomb Raider.

The ending in UC4 was bad too. They just pretended they didn't treat Elena like shit for 2.5 games. I remember what you did you her Naughty Dog, you didn't earn that ending.

velociraptor

Uncharted 4 has to be the most boring Uncharted game I have played.

I don't know why people love it so much.

The pacing was beyond awful, and there was far too much platforming and 'walking segments'.

I also found the shooting segments to be exceptionally hard when they did appear. It was such a jarring spike in difficulty from having nothing to having everything thrown at your face.

Maffis

Uncharted 4 has to be the most boring Uncharted game I have played.

I don't know why people love it so much.

The pacing was beyond awful, and there was far too much platforming and 'walking segments'.

I also found the shooting segments to be exceptionally hard when they did appear. It was such a jarring spike in difficulty from having nothing to having everything thrown at your face.

This thread is filled with answers to your question. Maybe read it and you'll see why people love it.

hahaha this post.

rafe is a villianous fuck

as for nothing to say about greed and obsession

it actually does - the message about greed and obsession is central to uncharted 4. Rafe's greed actually gets him killed. Nadine also walks away from the treasure. Uncharted 4 ends with Nate walking away from this life and starting a new one with Elena.

Crossing Eden

No problem! I thought I could take him, and some times I felt like, "This is the time I'm going to beat him!" but nope, he's a pain in the royal ass on Crushing.

I think you're supposed to hate him because he tries to kill you and he's shady.
He sent all his goons to kill you and sent Nadine to kick your ass while in Italy. It's not like he was doing his own thing and you kept trying to kill him. He then takes over Nadine's mercs at the end. He isn't just trying to beat you to the treasure; he's actively trying to end your life. It's not a friendly rivalry.
He did this
after Sam specifically fucked him over by ditching him and getting the one slice of evidence that would actually progress their search beyond not touching the graveyard after years of searching because a group of 100 or so people never suggested that apparently. By my knowledge, Sam was the one who brought him on in the first place. In fact, when he's searching for evidence, e goes to the same auction, and convinces Nadine to allow him to win it fair and square with his wealth. Like hypothetically, if Sam had stayed and they both found the treasure together like they had planned to while Nathan Drake was off being Nathan Drake. What would rafe be guilty of in that context?
hahaha this post.

rafe is a villianous fuck

as for nothing to say about greed and obsession

it actually does - the message about greed and obsession is central to uncharted 4. Rafe's greed actually gets him killed. Nadine also walks away from the treasure. Uncharted 4 ends with Nate walking away from this life and starting a new one with Elena.
Again what did he actually do besides kill that guard in that flashback? Rafe's greed gets him killed but that same greed also applies to Nathan and Sam Ss they were obsessed with the same treasure, Sam especially, and both were rewarded for said obsession. It makes no sense narratively. Especially when you consider how Rafe had every right to be pissed about the way he was treated by Sam and to a lesser extent Drake.

Falchion

The disappointing thing about the lack of combat in the second half of the game is that the combat is so much fun. You get to move around and create chaos with the enemies, but there just aren't enough places to do it.

DeviantBoi

Couldn't finish it.

I have the platinum trophies for all other Uncharted games, but this one felt like a disappointment to me.

Mi biggest gripe? Stealth. I hate having to hide in grass. The stealth section in U2 in the museum was fine, but having to do it through the whole game was just infuriating to me.

Okay, you say, why not shoot your way through the game?

I tried that. I did stealth and when I failed, I started shouting.

The result?

The areas are so complicated now that it's hard to tell what's behind you and to your sides.

I would get into cover and all of a sudden I have enemies behind me that weren't there before. So I end up running around like a headless chicken trying to find some cover, but because the areas are now so complicated, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Not fun at all.

He did this
after Sam specifically fucked him over by ditching him and getting the one slice of evidence that would actually progress their search beyond not touching the graveyard after years of searching because a group of 100 or so people never suggested that apparently. By my knowledge, Sam was the one who brought him on in the first place. In fact, when he's searching for evidence, e goes to the same auction, and convinces Nadine to allow him to win it fair and square with his wealth. Like hypothetically, if Sam had stayed and they both found the treasure together like they had planned to while Nathan Drake was off being Nathan Drake. What would rafe be guilty of in that context?

Again what did he actually do besides kill that guard in that flashback? Rafe's greed gets him killed but that same greed also applies to Nathan and Sam Ss they were obsessed with the same treasure, Sam especially, and both were rewarded for said obsession. It makes no sense narratively. Especially when you consider how Rafe had every right to be pissed about the way he was treated by Sam and to a lesser extent Drake.

To be honest that's why Rafe was kind of interesting. He was just like Nate and Sam but a little darker and a little more ruthless (yes yes besides the fact that we kill tons of people actually playing the game). Nate Talks in Scotland about how Sam has no idea what Rafe was capable of and after they got out of prison he got pretty crazy. But more than any other villain he was level headed and didnt do any insane genocide crap like Lazarevic did. It seemed like Nate Rafe and Sam were all pirates but Nate was becoming a reluctant pirate. and also I don't think it was greed for any of the three of them but obsession with adventure and the chase. What the treasure "proves".

Edit: that's why your thing on rewarding greed may be a little off, but you def make some good points.

Bolivar687

Banned
While I don't doubt that a replay might enhance my appreciation a bit, I have no interest in finding out. Nothing is going to raise my opinion on The dismal combat and I'm never going to care about Sam in what's supposed to be Mate's final chapter. The way the directors approached this project was completely wrong. This is absolutely not the way you end a series.

It feels like UC3 and UC4 were two attempts by different leads to tell a more personal origin story about Drake and make him decide what really matters. While the former suffered from being somewhat derivative, it still fit within the series whereas UC4 does not. The jeep chase through the mud in no way compares to the setpieces from 2 and 3.

There a too many lackluster elements here for any revisited bright spots to redeem it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The lack of a supernatural twist does nothing to explain how pirates could've possibly built all of this infrastructure, established a colony with rules and such, and built things like this with the technology present in their century, (not to mention the materials required, the cost of not only placing the statues but hiding them):
Uncharted%25E2%2584%25A2%2B4_%2BA%2BThief%25E2%2580%2599s%2BEnd_20160513202109.png

I'd have to say, I'm reasonably sure I've watched enough of the History Channel and Discovery channel to believe that something like this could, regardless of likelihood, is actually in theory possible. Gallileo, da Vinci, etc. predate the age of Pirates in the caribbean and could have invented tech like this. The materials? Still possible. The cost, they explained that regardless of whether that was believable.

like I can at least believe that satellites never found those ancient civilizations as they were magical in some form. I appreciate the effort that went into upgrading their rendering tech by a substantial degree, and making combat that actually feels good subpar stealth aside. TLOU had several messages to be gleaned from it's narrative. UC4 really didn't. Unless the message is "don't pursue greed unless you're specifically Nathan Drake."
aka the guy who doesn't kill people in cold blood despite snapping at least a few dozen necks and straight up bragged about it by the time that line is uttered by Rafe.. ¬_¬
I agree with you that this place is in open air and could have easily been flown over or discovered. I was joking with a buddy about that. That is just stupid.

As far as anything else, I thought it was entertaining enough fluff. Especially for an action movie/game.

Crossing Eden

To be honest that's why Rafe was kind of interesting. He was just like Nate and Sam but a little darker and a little more ruthless (yes yes besides the fact that we kill tons of people actually playing the game). Nate Talks in Scotland about how Sam has no idea what Rafe was capable of and after they got out of prison he got pretty crazy. But more than any other villain he was level headed and didnt do any insane genocide crap like Lazarevic did. It seemed like Nate Rafe and Sam were all pirates but Nate was becoming a reluctant pirate. and also I don't think it was greed for any of the three of them but obsession with adventure and the chase. What the treasure "proves".

Edit: that's why your thing on rewarding greed may be a little off, but you def make some good points.
Yea but as someone from the outside perspective, nothing of what Rafe did was wrong. They tell but don't show why the Drake brothers have such a hard time working with him. The most they said is that Nate and Rafe didn't get along so Nate went and did UC1-3 while Rafe and Sam were in Scotland. Nate wasn't a reluctant pirate because he goes on to be a thief in UC1-3. Again my issue is that thematically, Rafe gets punished for pursuing the exact same obsession as Nate and to a much larger extent Sam. It also serves to not at all have him be threatening. Even when his perfect hair gets slightly less perfect.

Did you miss the part in the beginning when he shanks that prison guard in cold blood and turned full psycho?

I also think you're applying morals that are completely out of whack with the pulp tone of the adventure.

simmias

I did Brutal on 1-3 and Crushing on 4 is equally frustrating at the end of the game.

You know those parts on Brutal where you're driving a jeep and need to blow up everyone chasing you, or the part where you're running from gunfire through buildings and can't kill anything and it's totally random whether you live or die? That's Crushing mode at the end of UC4 in a nutshell.

And don't get me started on that final boss on Crushing.

Jobbs

Banned
I gave the game a college try. It was so boring and the protagonist so unlikeable that I literally fell asleep while playing three times over three nights before just giving up.

I recognize that not everything is for everyone and I understand some people like it a lot.

Gorillaz

While I don't doubt that a replay might enhance my appreciation a bit, I have no interest in finding out. Nothing is going to raise my opinion on The dismal combat and I'm never going to care about Sam in what's supposed to be Mate's final chapter. The way the directors approached this project was completely wrong. This is absolutely not the way you end a series.

It feels like UC3 and UC4 were two attempts by different leads to tell a more personal origin story about Drake and make him decide what really matters. While the former suffered from being somewhat derivative, it still fit within the series whereas UC4 does not. The jeep chase through the mud in no way compares to the setpieces from 2 and 3.

There a too many lackluster elements here for any revisited bright spots to redeem it.
The whole madagascar set piece is definitely their best with locomotion 2nd. The whole UC4 setpiece felt like the first time they were able to make the gameplay aspect of it as great as seeing it all unfold.

4 has it's moments that make it hard to revisit but it's not as bad as 1 and 3. Even parts of 2 I still don't like to play over. Let's not forgot how ancient almost all of the previous games now feel in mechanics especially shooting

sense

I had the op's second play through impressions, the first time around itself. Maybe there is something to be said about taking your time to play through games instead of rushing through to finish them and make the not so good parts stand out more.

Just how some don't understand the hate for this game I can't understand the love. It's a slog to replay..barely any moment to moment fun gameplay just pressing in one direction or another until a cut scene.

The great shooting mechanics are wasted. And why the hell does this game get a pass with everyone for its crates on wheels?

Crossing Eden

Did you miss the part in the beginning when he shanks that prison guard in cold blood and turned full psycho?

I also think you're applying morals that are completely out of whack with the pulp tone of the adventure.
Again that's literally the only evil thing he's shown doing and that relative to Nathan Drake who started a prison fight to get access to a closed off section of the prison just an hour beforehand. Who's also been shown to be quite merciless. Like when he pulled that guard down and had no idea whether that dude would actually survive the fall or not. Pulp doesn't mean lack of morals and logic.

I just finished my 2nd play through last night, and my opinion has definitely improved on it. This time was on 4k/HDR so it looked incredible. The combat felt better this time after tweaking auto aim to the lowest level without lock on. I also skipped most of the cinematic scenes. The kid era levels got old too. The relationship drama is super annoying after a while, it just keeps getting brought up.

The last few missions I used the "bullet time" extra, which was surprisingly fun. I still think it has some overtly trivial dialogue between characters and grunts. I'll probably do another play through of this and TLoU remastered this summer. They looks so dang good in 4k/hdr.

simmias

Just how some don't understand the hate for this game I can't understand the love. It's a slog to replay..barely any moment to moment fun gameplay just pressing in one direction or another until a cut scene.

The great shooting mechanics are wasted. And why the hell does this game get a pass with everyone for its crates on wheels?
Did you play the free co-op update? I think that would appeal to the people who felt the gameplay moments were underwhelming in the main game.

Again that's literally the only evil thing he's shown doing and that relative to Nathan Drake who started a prison fight to get access to a closed off section of the prison just an hour beforehand. Who's also been shown to be quite merciless. Like when he pulled that guard down and had no idea whether that dude would actually survive the fall or not. Pulp doesn't mean lack of morals and logic.

There's a such clear tonal and narrative difference between the circumstances that I'm having trouble understanding how you actually take issue with it. A scrappy rogue starting a brawl (a well worn trope), or knocking out a guard in the exaggerated "realism" of a gameplay is not the same equivalence to the villain of the piece murdering someone in cold blood, doing the whole "you wanna get nuts? lets get nuts" thing, and then in every subsequent cutscene is portrayed as unstable and quick to threaten murder. The treasure Nate and Sam are seeking has childhood importance to them, so them dicking over a murdering, psychopathic, rich boy who just wants the thing for self worth by using typical roguish methods like stealing the thing during a criminal auction is some "both sides are the same" nonesense. Obviously they are in the wrong for their part in it, but the moral standard is so clearly dilineated between the parties, and Drake's whole arc is obviously about letting go the treasure hunting thrill seeking whereas Rafe would literally rather murder Drake and die himself than see Drake live.

Pejo

I didn't really like most of the story this time around, character interaction was great though. I really missed the supernatural twist. The combat only got good once you realized how fun it was playing run 'n gun instead of cover based 3rd person shooter. Even then, the enemy aiming was a bit too good to really have fun with the run 'n gun gameplay since you take too many hits too quickly on harder difficulties. The jeep segments went a bit too long, and I really didn't like the "villians" this time around. Their whole reason for existing as antagonists was a real stretch given their motivations.

I really did enjoy the visuals, gameplay on easy, and the neat things they brought to the series, like the grappling hook and the falling shale etc. Not really as memorable as UC2, but it wasn't terrible by any means. I'm probably not buying the DLC though, I think I've had my fill of the Uncharted series.

Sande

I liked it. But I still think the pacing was a problem. Maybe it wouldn't have been if climbing and exploration were a bit better but as it stands, the game desperately needed another big set-piece and a couple of combat/sneaking encounters.

The mansion flashback was the biggest offender for me. The pacing is already dragging and they bring in that unnecessarily long boring section that barely contributes to anything.

Crossing Eden

There's a such clear tonal and narrative difference between the circumstances that I'm having trouble understanding how you actually take issue with it. A scrappy rogue starting a brawl (a well worn trope), or knocking out a guard in the exaggerated "realism" of a gameplay is not the same equivalence to the villain of the piece murdering someone in cold blood, doing the whole "you wanna get nuts? lets get nuts" thing, and then in every subsequent cutscene is portrayed as unstable and quick to threaten murder. The treasure Nate and Sam are seeking has childhood importance to them, so them dicking over a murdering, psychopathic, rich boy who just wants the thing for self worth by using typical roguish methods like stealing the thing during a criminal auction is some "both sides are the same" nonesense. Obviously they are in the wrong for their part in it, but the moral standard is so clearly dilineated between the parties, and Drake's whole arc is obviously about letting go the treasure hunting thrill seeking whereas Rafe would literally rather murder Drake and die himself than see Drake live.
It wasn't even exaggerated realism in the gameplay, he straight up pulls a guard from a ledge while robbing a museum, the dude could've hit the cliff on the way down for all Drake cared. And Rafe is only shown to be unhinged whenever he's being threatened directly. For instance, Sully betting on the cross that he went to get amongst a group of criminals. Hell the next time he talks to Nate after that he straight up says that he'd be up for a race to the treasure but that Nadine is the one who'd rather kill Drake in the first place. He was also goaded into shooting Nate and Sam by Nadine. When he could've easily had Nadine's goons steal it violently. And oh no Nate isn't knocking these dudes out, he's straight up sneaking up and snapping necks. He's as good at that as he is at climbing. If Drake's whole arc is about letting go of the treasure hunting thrill, maybe don't end the story with
"Nathan Drake has become the most famous treasure hunter ever, which is somehow a genetic trait because his daughter is also good at it, and so was his brother, and his mother was also the best, and now lives on a beach"

The only frustrating part in crushing is the exploding mummies.
Other than that , it's quite fun

It wasn't even exaggerated realism in the gameplay, he straight up pulls a guard from a ledge while robbing a museum, the dude could've hit the cliff on the way down for all Drake cared. And Rafe is only shown to be unhinged whenever he's being threatened directly. For instance, Sully betting on the cross that he went to get amongst a group of criminals. Hell the next time he talks to Nate after that he straight up says that he'd be up for a race to the treasure but that Nadine is the one who'd rather kill Drake in the first place. He was also goaded into shooting Nate and Sam by Nadine. When he could've easily had Nadine's goons steal it violently. And oh no Nate isn't knocking these dudes out, he's straight up sneaking up and snapping necks. He's as good at that as he is at climbing. If Drake's whole arc is about letting go of the treasure hunting thrill, maybe don't end the story with
"Nathan Drake has become the most famous treasure hunter ever, which is somehow a genetic trait because his daughter is also good at it, and so was his brother, and his mother was also the best, and now lives on a beach"

I don't understand how you can enjoy any piece of media with the bizarre level scrutinization, and misreading of narrative language. Why would you have to think about the guard hitting a cliff? He doesn't, no matter how many times you do it, and swims away no matter how many times you do it. Nate jokes about, the guard is fine, it's game shorthand for "you didn't do anything bad". Do you worry about Ezio crushing some poor sap to death every time he swan dives off a massive tower too? How do you sit through any action movie ever made? Or play any narrative action game?

And Rafe was never threatened. A bunch of thieves going after the same treasure (the one that Nate and Sam were looking for long before Rafe) is not threatening him. Rafe immediately jumping to "I'm gonna murder you" is obvious narrative speak for "Rafe is a bad guy". And Nate only kills capital-B Bad Guys. The narrative never even entertians that the people you are killing are anything other than faceless, murderous goons because that's the tone of every action adventure ever.

His arc ends with him letting go of the life endangering, roguish treasure hunting, but not giving up adventure completely. The entire point was his life was out of balance when he tried to cut off of doing what he loves completely. He found a healthier outlet for it to do with his family. And now you're talking about totally different points than I had initially brought up and whew lord did this game shit in your salad or something? My god. There are loads of things to criticize the game for and you aren't picking at like any of the actual issues.

TissueBox

Yes, Drake and his friends kill a lot of people, and the games treat them like rogue saints instead of murderers with realistic repercussions and emotional conflicts pointed at those deeds. Honestly this is one of those things you either choose to suspend disbelief for or don't. I don't think it's about whether the story is good. It's about whether the concept behind the game was contradictory in a way that should've kept it from existing in the first place. Trying to use the in-universe logic against itself only serves to further highlight that the dissonance is ridiculous but also a different kind of argument.

Canklestank

Neo Member
I have pretty mixed feelings about this game. I love the Uncharted series, but this one was mostly disappointing.

Obviously, pacing and too few combat encounters hurt this game. But it's also way too serious for Uncharted. It's supposed to be fun, but instead, they make me borderline hate the main character for the first time in the series. He's a complete dick to his wife for no good reason, and because of that, Elena has to be this dark cloud for the entire game. Completely ruined the mood of the entire game that's supposed to feel like an exciting adventure. And
when we finally get to play alongside Elena again, she's understandably pissed. I HATED that section because I love Elena.
IMO, they didn't need "realistic family drama" to tell a compelling story.

I never really bought the "long lost brother" thing either, but that's a pretty minor thing overall.

On the other hand, the combat and gameplay are the best in the series when you get to the action. And I really, really enjoyed the pirate setting and story. It's just a shame that they had to drag most of the original characters through the mud to wrap everything up.

Really looking forward to the Lost Legacy because it looks to fix everything I had problems with in UC4. It looks like a fun adventure, and I don't have to worry about them ruining Nate or Elena. And I think it will have a better combat/walking ratio.

Only Uncharted I have enjoyed and that is because of the slower pace and better character development but the structure of the story was really poor and there is way too much climbing. Even though the last fight is much better than the prior games but still falls on its ass by introducing a completely new gameplay mechanic and totally changing a characters direction from how she had been developed the entire game.

Top Bottom