• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I'm getting fired on Thursday.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Manager is calling me in for a meeting on Thursday for a meeting with me and I think I'm going to get fired.

About a month ago my manager warned me about colleague complaints that may lead to disciplinary action.

What should I do? Resign or just wait to be fired?

If it's a possibility, how much sense would it make to write up a resignation letter for Thursday just in case?

John Bilbo

supper GIF

Billbofet

Depends on the State and getting fired for cause (stealing) can disqualify you from unemployment benefits.
True, but I think in his situation, unless they find out about the lunch robberies and it's more performance-based, GH has a good shot.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Although I don't want to see you lose your job, remember you do steal your co-workers lunch.

Edit

German Hops German Hops seriously, what are these complaints against you? Surly you don't really steal from the fridge?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
True, but I think in his situation, unless they find out about the lunch robberies and it's more performance-based, GH has a good shot.

He probably posts on GAF at work. And if this is related to "colleague complaints" (with cause) it would probably disqualify him for benefits rather than being terminated for incompetence or performance reasons. Still, the only benefit to quitting is framing the departure for future employers. Like you said, quitting will forfeit the rights to unemployment benefits automatically. I'd just take the meeting and see if it is disciplinary instead of a termination and if he is fired, hopefully it is for gross incompetence instead of being an asshat to co-workers for the outside shot at unemployment benefits.

AGRacing

They claim I disappear too often.
I also happen to be the most productive member of the staff (by far), but hey, I guess they want me down on their level.

Crabs in a barrel type stuff.
Most companies need to be thorough in their logging of the history on such issues before moving right to firing someone. These rules are in place to protect from lawsuits, obviously. Have you been written up for this? If so how many times? Has a case been built against you ? If so.. with or without your involvement?

I used to manage personnel. If you worked for me you'd a) know it was coming and b) know exactly why.. because I'd have warned you already, it would be logged and I'd have warned the next infraction was a firing.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They claim I disappear too often.
I also happen to be the most productive member of the staff (by far), but hey, I guess they want me down on their level.

Crabs in a barrel type stuff.

If there is evidence of your productivity, but only the words of your co-workers that you disappear, then I fail to see how they can get rid of you?

Do you have a union in your place who can assist you?

DJ12

Start reading the company policies, is extremely unlikely you can go from an informal chat some people have complained about you to being fired.

Never second guess what's happening though, I always assume I'm getting sacked if one of the big wigs wants to have a meeting with me, but usually it's to ask my opinion on others seeing as like you I am by far the most productive person I the department.

I do normally make a joke about getting sacked to gauge their reaction, which is usually, 'nothing like that' etc

Hudo

Manager is calling me in for a meeting on Thursday for a meeting with me and I think I'm going to get fired.

About a month ago my manager warned me about colleague complaints that may lead to disciplinary action.

If it's a possibility, how much sense would it make to write up a resignation letter for Thursday just in case?
Go to your manager's manager and demand your manager's position.

And then fire your manager.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
You are young and it's bound to happen. That's just natural in my eyes. It seems you even expect it. Play along, don't resign, be sovereign.

I went through so much shit and bad jobs between 19-25 but it helped to shape me. I wouldn't appreciate my current job otherwise.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Most companies need to be thorough in their logging of the history on such issues before moving right to firing someone. These rules are in place to protect from lawsuits, obviously. Have you been written up for this? If so how many times? Has a case been built against you ? If so.. with or without your involvement?

I used to manage personnel. If you worked for me you'd a) know it was coming and b) know exactly why.. because I'd have warned you already, it would be logged and I'd have warned the next infraction was a firing.
I haven't been written up, yet.
I'd actually prefer a write-up, as opposed to all of this pretense, which'll probably happen soon.
For now it's hearsay, as far as I know.
If there is evidence of your productivity, but only the words of your co-workers that you disappear, then I fail to see how they can get rid of you?

Do you have a union in your place who can assist you?
No union.
I live in a right-to-work state.

I prefer it this way, though, because unions typically cover for the most mediocre of employees.

Tell them you identify as a 8 foot barrel and they are not referring to you as "Big Roundness" and also let them know you also identify as a Transexual Africam America and you have a mental disability of randomly eating whatever food is in front of you. And then threaten them with Twitter posts and start a protest outside. And after that, not only you'll keep your job but then you can sue them for millions and become rich and get away with it.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
German Hops German Hops

[German Hops][German Hop's Address][City, State, ZIP Code][Date]

[Manager’s Full Name][Manager’s Job Title][Company Name][Company Address][City, State, ZIP Code]

Dear [Manager’s Full Name],

I am writing to officially tender my resignation from my position as [German Hop's Job Title] at [Company Name], effective two weeks from today, [Date in two weeks].

In recent weeks, I have been reflecting on my role and contributions to the team. While I have always endeavored to maintain a high level of productivity and commitment to my job, it seems there have been some differing perspectives regarding my approach to work. I have taken time to consider the feedback given and recognize that perhaps it is time for me to move on to opportunities that are more aligned with my work style and professional goals.

I am proud of the work I have accomplished during my time here, including [mention a specific achievement or contribution that is a highlight of your time at the company]. I am grateful for the opportunities to grow and develop my skills in [mention the area/s where you’ve grown the most professionally].

I would also like to take a moment to address the unfounded claims that have been circulating regarding alleged incidents of lunch theft. I want to state categorically that these claims are baseless and can never be substantiated. It is disheartening to see such rumors being spread, undermining the spirit of teamwork and collaboration. Apart from the strudel, the lunches weren't that great anyway. Probably.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of [Company Name]. I appreciate the experiences and lessons I have gained during my tenure.

Sincerely, German Hops

Last edited:

AlphaDump

Gold Member
If it is performance related you'll go on a PiP.

If it is behavior related and you've been warned you are probably going to get merced if they investigated you since then. That's typically how complaints of harassment are handled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom