• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was dogsitting, the dog got run over and killed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don`t break it to them right away...
First tell them the "dog is on the roof"
then say "you haven`t seen the dog for a few days"
Slowly break it too them. You can do the same thing when grandma dies.

Colloquialism i guess, Knocked down is the term used here when a car hits a animal.
As opposed to Rolled over when a car drives over and hurts an animal.
Or like, just "hit by a car" like you just said. Seems universal enough for everyone to understand. I was honestly wondering why someone would make a thread about a dog that got pushed or bumped into and fell on the floor.

Sorry for the dog. Seems like something that would have happened no matter what and unless you're Superman, I don't see how you could have prevented it especially if you didn't do anything differently than what your friend does (letting them run around without a leash) when taking care of them.

Poor dog. You should never leave pets unsupervised even just for a short moment. Pets are like children they don't know any better.

My little sister did something similar with my older sister's dogs. She accidentally left one out the front door. He ran out in the road and was struck by a car.

My yard is totally fenced in but I still don't leave them outside unsupervised for even a moment. You never know when a stray animal could get into the yard or they could find something bad and try to eat it. I want to say it's okay OP, but no lie I'd probably sever a friendship over this situation.

RELAYER

Banned
When I was a kid and used to ride around with my mom in the car, whenever we saw roadkill I would get really sad and she used to sing stupid little songs to make me laugh.
It just went like "deeaaaaaaad dog in the middle of the ROOOOOAAAAD, deeaaaad dog in the middle of the ROOOAAAAAD" and those were the only lyrics. You could try that maybe.

edit: I guess you would actually have to move him into the middle of the road for it to make sense though.

soepje

Poor dog. You should never leave pets unsupervised even just for a short moment. Pets are like children they don't know any better.

Unless they are cats, they are able to learn and keep themselves safe Cats > Dogs.

I would call your friend after the docters appointment. They will tell you what to do with it.

BibiMaghoo

God dayum man, that is a real bad situation. Not like it is your fault, but telling your buddy is gonna be tough.

That poor dog man. One day you should drive home in a rush, and run over your neighbor instead. Totally by accident like.

jett

D-Member
Man, if I was your friend I'd murder you in your sleep. You may live in a rural area, but you just shouldn't let dogs roam free in a place where they can easily get run over. Especially if they're not your dogs in the first place!

And you should contact your friend immediately. It's his dog and you have no say in what to do with the body. Throw him away in the garbage? Really?

Raiden

Banned
lol @ throw him away in the garbage.

I'll be real honest here. You left them alone unleashed. It is your fault. Call them and take it like a man.

methane47

Man, if I was your friend I'd murder you in your sleep. You may live in a rural area, but you just shouldn't let dogs roam free in a place where they can easily get run over. Especially if they're not your dogs in the first place!

And you should contact your friend immediately. It's his dog and you have no say in what to do with the body. Throw him away in the garbage? Really?

How is it that you don't have your Mr. Negativity tag any more?

And its not my house, this is their house, their rules, their instructions, their neighbors, their fence or lack thereof.

I see alot of people are commenting on the garbage thing, but I simply don't know.
Maybe instead of scorning me you could tell me what my options are?

speedline

Banned
Ask the owners if they want you to bury the dog, if not animal control will come pick it up and dispose of it. You can't just throw it in the trash.

jett

D-Member

And its not my house, this is their house, their rules, their instructions, their neighbors, their fence or lack thereof.

I see alot of people are commenting on the garbage thing, but I simply don't know.

Well, if the owners told you to let the dogs roam free I guess they're more at fault than you are. Personally I wouldn't have heeded that instruction.

And your only option is to call the owner of the dog.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I killed my aunts bird once when I was house sitting. I had no idea about birds and I didn't give it any water for about 7 days.

That said I called them as soon as I realized is was as stiff as a board. Call them OP.

RELAYER

Banned

The blame game.
I would advise you against that when you speak to them.

methane said:

Is English your native language?
People are just laughing because it was funny because it implies that he is worthless.

For me it brings up the image of you solemnly striding across the verdant green lawn; the dog, lips locked in a final death grimace, swinging like a dead rabbit in the grasp of your hand, before you dutifully open the stinking lid. Last nights rain water disgustingly slides off the plastic and splashes all over your shoes and with a grunt you deposit "him" into the canister, as you would any kind of pest or spent case of beer. The lid slams shut, the flies disperse, and you make your way back to the house, come back inside and make another post.

edit: What you really do is find or borrow a shovel, dig a deep hole, and bury him out behind the shed.

Honestly, OP, that's tragic but you have to tell them. It's a tough call to make but personally, I'd rather know sooner than later even if they're undergoing surgery. Wrap the body up and put it in the garage or somewhere where it can be preserved til they decide what to do with it. Maybe contact a vets office for more options. Don't put it in the trash can. That's just fucked up.

Shit happens. Death happens. Just gotta move forward. Pay your respects and comfort them as best you can. I wouldn't play the blame game with yourself. Let it go. Tell them and move forward to figuring out how to go about a proper burial.

So this morning everything was NORMAL. 6:30 let the dogs out, they were happy and barking, i took a picture of a pineapple that is growing in the yard. I come back and there is some barking, so i put the food out for the dogs, I then go to the toilet to handle my own business. Come out 5 minutes later and 2 neighbors are at the front door, and my girlfriend is breaking down crying.

Neighbor1[N1] is telling us that he forgot something at his house so he was rushing home and didn't even realize he did anything
Neighbor2[N2] told us he was outside smoking a cig and saw N1 come back home driving at full speed and was about to leave when he saw the dog dead right infront of the house that I'm staying at :(
[N1] says that the dog must have jumped out of the Bushes on the side of the road (Looks to be true because the dog doesn't appear to be rolled over, just hit (by the car) in the head :( Also the dog was laying half in the bush half on the road

:(

do they have kids? planning on any? at least they know who not to call lol

Risible

The image of them coming home from painful back surgery with complications due to infection and you saying "I was taking a shit and your dog got run over, he's in the garbage can" is amazing.

Raiden

Banned

Bury him King Arthur style. On a wooden bed let him drift away into a lake, and then a flaming arrow.

Any sane person knows that throwing him in the garbage is not a thing you do. Seriously man?

methane47

So i found out the last dog that they had, when the dog died, they took the dog to the garbage dump to dispose of the body. This is because the dog was too large to bury as the not far under ground is just limestone and they didn't want to bury him in a shallow grave.

I still can't reach them though, to find out exactly what they want to do. Also this dog was much smaller. So maybe burying is still an option.

The blame game.
I would advise you against that when you speak to them.

Is English your native language?
People are just laughing because it was funny because it implies that he is worthless

No blame game, the poster seemed to be suggesting that I felt safe with letting the dogs out because of where I live. But I'm explaining that its not my house or rules, its theirs.

And english is my native language. But here on my island, we don't have many options for disposal.

sangreal

Call the police or local animal shelter if there is one, they should be able to tell you your options for disposing of the dog. It's probably best to ask the owner what they want done though

Zoe

To be honest, I had no idea what to do when one of my cats died. When I was a kid, my parents did throw stillborn animals in the garbage (the rest disappeared or died at the vet). I live in an apartment, so burying isn't an option. Cremation at the vet was too expensive.

Ended up having to box her up and submit a request to animal control to pick her up.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So i found out the last dog that they had, when the dog died, they took the dog to the garbage dump to dispose of the body. This is because the dog was too large to bury as the not far under ground is just limestone and they didn't want to bury him in a shallow grave.

I still can't reach them though, to find out exactly what they want to do. Also this dog was much smaller. So maybe burying is still an option.

Sorry, that's very sad. I hate to hear that sort of thing.

When my family dog passed we had to pay $25 in order for them (HS) to come get the body. I guess you cant dig a hole anywhere until they inspect the ground. There is potential risk that you can strike power lines.

Your local Humane Society should be able to give you all the info you need too.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Call the police or local animal shelter if there is one, they should be able to tell you your options for disposing of the dog. It's probably best to ask the owner what they want done though

Don't you just bury a dog inside your yard ?

JWong

Banned
Dogs are like kids.

Unless they're grown up and well trained, always keep an eye on them or have them leashed.

Not legal in most countries i think. At least not here. We left ours with our vet and some animal disposal company picks it up.

i lived in a building where all the tenants would bury dead animals in the huge backyard.. a few dogs, cats, birds and a friend i know used a toy undertaker coffin from the 90's to bury a hamster... he ripped a few flowers and said last words before he dropped it in lol

Jburton

Banned
Seems a bit harsh without knowing them at all. Seems like it is a rural area and allowing the dogs to roam free for a bit isn't that uncommon in that situation. Doesn't make the dog owners terrible. That is part of the attratction to living in such area, you and your pets can have more of a sense of freedom. I am paranoid about not having a leash on my dog, but I am in a suburban neighborhood with traffic going down my street every day, all day.

Not sure this incident is anyone's fault. It is just a bad situation. If the dog jumped in front of the car, it isn't like there would be alot of time to react.

Dogs should have been supervised, it is the owners responsibility to insure the safety and well being of the animal ........... no dog should be near a road without being restrained.

It is unfortunate and of course is an accident and I do feel sorry for you but let it be a lesson, do not leave a dog in an unsecured area unattended ............ dogs will run and chase as it is their nature, it is the owners responsibility to keep the dog from harming itself and possibly others.

If it is so easy for the animal to gain access to the street / road it is also easy for a less than friendly dog (not saying this is the case) to bite a child or adult, then the shit can really hit the fan.

As for the disposal of the dogs remains, ask the owner ....... they might not want it thrown in the trash (awful fucking idea) or buried in the garden.

Futureman

Dogs are like kids.

Unless they're grown up and well trained, always keep an eye on them or have them leashed.

yea, sounds like taking a shit while dogs we're running around off leash with no fence was a pretty terrible idea.

I have NO idea what I would do in your situation OP. Maybe offer to buy them a new pup. I dunno.

Menelaus

Banned
Do i throw him away in the garbage?

510999853_42a88dbbc5_o.gif

Just the fact that you'd ask that question makes me wonder why anyone would ask you to watch their animals for them.

I'd be just as pissed if it were me and you waited to tell me about this as I would be that it actually happened.

Call them ASAP OP.

Sounds like this is more on them for letting them roam free but I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving them unattended outside like you did either.

Either way, call them now!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You need to call your friend right now and say what happened.

Damn reading about something bad happening to dogs is always depressing.

yikes. i feel bad for the owners and the dog. OP, just keep constantly trying to contact your friend that you're dogsitting for, so that you can tell them what happened. i mean, yeah, they gave you a set of instructions, but i would not have felt comfortable with my own dog to let him roam around off-leash, let alone someone else's dogs.

also, what have you done with the dog since the accident? is the dog still laying there in the road?

sangreal

When my dog was hit by a car, the police threw him in a garbage back and took him away. No clue what they did with it, but I don't think it is such a strange question to ask. As he mentioned, the owner threw their lost deceased dog out at the dump

methane47

yikes. i feel bad for the owners and the dog. OP, just keep constantly trying to contact your friend that you're dogsitting for, so that you can tell them what happened. i mean, yeah, they gave you a set of instructions, but i would not have felt comfortable with my own dog to let him roam around off-leash, let alone someone else's dogs.

also, what have you done with the dog since the accident? is the dog still laying there in the road?

I've been trying to contact them but still nothing.

When i came out of the bathroom, the guy who hit the dog had already placed the dog in a large garbage bag. He wanted to take the dog to the dump himself. But i took it from him. I took the bag and placed in in the back under a shed, away from the road and away from the other dogs.

I've been trying to contact them but still nothing.

When i came out of the bathroom, the guy who hit the dog had already placed the dog in a large garbage bag. He wanted to take the dog to the dump himself. But i took it from him. I took the bag and placed in in the back under a shed, away from the road and away from the other dogs.

oh geez. i REALLY hope you can get a hold of them soon and get this resolved quickly. they come back soon, don't they? i'd hate for them to come back, and the last image of their dead dog is of a decaying corpse :(

methane47

oh geez. i REALLY hope you can get a hold of them soon and get this resolved quickly. they come back soon, don't they? i'd hate for them to come back, and the last image of their dead dog is of a decaying corpse :(

Next Friday at earliest.
In the meantime N2 has brought his dog to the house as well. As he's going away to belgium for a trip. He wants to kill N1. Needless to say, these dogs will be under lock and key for the duration of their stay :S

Do the owners just let them run wild unsupervised on the streets?

If so, maybe now they will realise you shouldn't do that, and it cost that poor dog its life to teach them that.

Jburton

Banned
When my dog was hit by a car, the police threw him in a garbage back and took him away. No clue what they did with it, but I don't think it is such a strange question to ask. As he mentioned, the owner threw their lost deceased dog out at the dump

Which is fucking disgusting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom