• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was dogsitting, the dog got run over and killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

What the hell is the point of an electric fence if the dog can get excited and just run through it and not give two craps?

methane47

YOU DID NOT. Tell me you didn't confuse the mineral and the fruit.

I i guess I totally did.
Like i said, i have no experience with how to handle this situation. Oh well.

I took the other dogs down to the grave to see what their reaction would be, they didn't seem to have any immediate reaction. Then the started sniffing the area where i put the bag down on the ground that the carcass was in. Then i picked em up and placed them closer to the grave, and the didn't seem to have any reaction.

I figure i can just sprinkle some vinegar ever couple days or something for now. Also the ground here is like 50% rock. It was a pain to dig up, but i doubt anything is going to be able to dig 2 feet down then plus with the rocks on the top of the grave. I don't think it will happen.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I took the other dogs down to the grave to see what their reaction would be, they didn't seem to have any immediate reaction. Then the started sniffing the area where i put the bag down on the ground that the carcass was in. Then i picked em up and placed them closer to the grave, and the didn't seem to have any reaction.
Why? What would this accomplish haha.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Some of you people are incredibly harsh. He didn't do anything that the owners did not allow. He lives in a rural area without much traffic, people let their dogs roam free in places like that all the time. It is not like a city. This was a freak accident.

The grave looks very nice and I am sure the owners will appreciate it. Don't worry about the slices of lime, the vinegar should help, and the fact that it is rock will also deter animals from digging through. Pretty shitty situation for you, but I think you have handled it well.

slit

Its in the yard, might as well get it over with rather them leave them find it for themselves

You should have rubbed lemon juice on the dogs before taking them to the grave. This would compliment the fruity lime scent of the carcass in the ground.

Particle Physicist

Thank you, I've really been trying to work on that aspect of my personality.

Seriously, calm down. Levity helps people cope.

I am calm, I was just browsing this thread and see a bunch of people making fun of methane47 every post he makes. It's quite dickish. There is a difference between bringing some humor to the situation in order to help people cope, and flat out making fun of someone. By the way, were you trying to antagonize me by saying 'calm down?' The only time I see people say that is when they are blatantly in the wrong and so they try to derail a conversation by pushing someone further. Just curious. :)

speedline

Banned
You really went out of your way with that grave. I would be grateful to you for caring so much for an animal. Good job man, live and learn.

slit

I am calm, I was just browsing this thread and see a bunch of people making fun of methane47 every post he makes. It's quite dickish. There is a difference between bringing some humor to the situation in order to help people cope, and flat out making fun of someone. By the way, were you trying to antagonize me by saying 'calm down?' The only time I see people say that is when they are blatantly in the wrong and so they try to derail a conversation by pushing someone further. Just curious. :)

If you're antagonized because someome says calm down, then see a psychiatrist. You have issues.

Particle Physicist

If you're antagonized because someome says calm down, then see a psychiatrist. You have issues.

lol. google "telling someone to calm down." You know quite well what effect it has on a conversation, and looky here, we aren't talking about how you were making fun of methane anymore! Nice. You also know quite well that my post was not at all over the top or out of line.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It may be too soon. But you could go to the humane society and see if they have a small puppy. Animals can't be replaced emotionally, but a new puppy might make them a bit happier.

slit

lol. google "telling someone to calm down." You know quite well what effect it has on a conversation, and looky here, we aren't talking about how you were making fun of methane anymore! Nice. You also know quite well that my post was not at all over the top or out of line.

Ok, whatever, get help. Calling people pricks because they comment on a humorous observation is a bit over the top. Are you this obsessive about everything?

Particle Physicist

Ok, whatever, get help. Calling people pricks because they comment on a humorous observation is a bit over the top. Are you this obsessive about everything?

So you aren't being antagonistic? Cause you've said multiple times that I need to see a psychiatrist and to get help. Now you are also calling me obsessive. Good job bro. It's so humorous to make fun of a guy put in a shitty situation he has never been in, not knowing what exactly to do, and asking Gaf for help. You are so cool. This whole thread has people shitting on methane, I guess you like dog piling on people asking for help. :/

TheExodu5

Banned
This wasn't your fault. My uncle has a dog in a rural area as well and the dog is free to roam as it pleases. It's normal in that kind of environment. Bad luck.

You did a great job with the grave. I'm sure the owners will appreciate it.

Seanbob11

I followed your advice. You should just have used this in your response.

BibiMaghoo

My understanding is that with dogs kept together, and one dies, the other should be shown that it has died, so that it understands in it's own way.

It's friend of potentially many years, should not just one day disappear, and the other dog not know why. Every animal I have ever owned understands death in an instinctual way. They get it, somehow.

Taking the dogs to the grave was a good thing, though letting the other dogs see it would have been better for them, as grim as that sounds.

Jackpot

Banned

So you aren't being antagonistic? Cause you've said multiple times that I need to see a psychiatrist and to get help. Now you are also calling me obsessive. Good job bro. It's so humorous to make fun of a guy put in a shitty situation he has never been in, not knowing what exactly to do, and asking Gaf for help. You are so cool. This whole thread has people shitting on methane, I guess you like dog piling on people asking for help. :/

You do seem rather obsessive and defensive over this.

And the mistake with the limes is very funny. It should be GAF's new "ly down".

Particle Physicist

You do seem rather obsessive and defensive over this.

And the mistake with the limes is very funny. It should be GAF's new "ly down".

Well, there are two separate things going on here. The first, I was just telling people that they were being harsh and cruel. Those were my exact words, and I have no idea how I could have possibly been out of line with that. (i wasn't just referring to the lime thing either)

The second, is the whole calm down nonsense. Everyone knows exactly what that does to a conversation, and how antagonizing it can be. It is even more clear what his purpose was with that comment considering he followed up with needing to see a psychiatrist, get help, etc.

slit

Well, there are two separate things going on here. The first, I was just telling people that they were being harsh and cruel. Those were my exact words, and I have no idea how I could have possibly been out of line with that. (i wasn't just referring to the lime thing either)

The second, is the whole calm down nonsense. Everyone knows exactly what that does to a conversation, and how antagonizing it can be. It is even more clear what his purpose was with that comment considering he followed up with needing to see a psychiatrist, get help, etc.

No they weren't. You were calling people pricks and then you edited. Which is why I said calm down. Man, talk about over-analyzing something.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I believe we are about done with the grave. It was a tonne of work. Wanted to go down yo 3-4 feet but around 2.5 feet there were only rock. I spent an hour breaking rock just to get a couple inches further.

I wasn't expecting there to be so much blood. I forced gf to turn away while I wrapped him in one of his favorite towels. Lowered him down and covered him first with slices of lime then dirt atop that, compacted the dirt then added more dirt and compacted it again. Added rocks ton the top. Dug a hole for a headstone then surrounded the grave with gravel. Then sprinkled some vinegar to the top. Hopefully that will dissuade any animals to go digging.

I think it turned out pretty nice. I hope the owners feel the same.

Any other ideas for decoration?

That's a nice grave. I'm sure the owners will appreciate your effort.

Hex

Banned
You let dogs out unsupervised into an unfenced area.
It is all on you, there is no other way around it and anyone who says otherwise is blowing smoke up your ass or just trying to be your interweb bro.
It was completely irresponsible to leave them when their business would not take that long, and then you could go take a picture of your pineapple and go do your business.

Edit:
I am glad you are handling it, and I am sure that it will go a long way in smoothing it over with the owners.
At the end of it all, though it could have been prevented it was still an accident and they will see that.

Omni

This thread provided me with more laughs than I'm comfortable admitting.

Good job with the grave though, OP.

_Ryo_

Do the dog owners own a leash?
Was it on the dog?
Did you hold the leash while the dog did it's business?
Did you leave the dogs completely unsupervised out in front yard where they can roam freely?

If so, I'm sorry to say you're partly to blame for what happened as it was negligent and irresponsible.

I respect you doing something about it with the grave and such though, but really please be more responsible in the future.

entremet

Was it on the dog?
Did you leave the dogs completely unsupervised out in front yard where they can roam freely?

If so, I'm sorry to say you're partly to blame for what happened as it was negligent and irresponsible.
Read the thread, bro.

methane47

Was it on the dog?

no
no
no
yes

ya it sucks :S

limes

literal limes

LLOL yeah, i'm laughing about it now,
Well i dont have any lime or quick lime, So its not like i woulda been able to pull that out. Also i'm just hopping the rocks are enough of a deterrent.

Solon Solute

Neo Member
You had one job

kobe-bryant-reaction.gif

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Do some research first, try to see if they had pet insurance, and get the dog replaced, pretty sure the compensation would cover the freight overnight shipping.

Make sure your colleague doesn't kill thy neighbour.

Or, better yet, try to see if the evil neighbour has insurance so they could replace the dog.

Because he ran someone's dog over, it consists of an accident, all they have to do is see the dead dog, and replace him.

“If you are at fault in a crash and, as a result your pet is injured, you could not make a claim under your own car insurance for injuries to your pet. However, if another motorist is at fault, then you may have the basis for a third-party tort claim against the at-fault motorist, in which you could try to recover your expenses to cover the pet’s vet and medication bills due to the car crash,” says an ICBC spokesperson.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...es-covered-in-a-car-accident/article11630719/

qazqaNii

Buy a new dog fast! If they realize that it is a different dog, say it leveled up and evolved.

Edit: You already told them.. :(

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Sucks for you and the owner, and obviously the dog

rule 1: unleash the dogs only in certain places, i.e. parks. My dog almost got squashed by a truck once, never again

Angry Fork

I would be an absolute wreck if this happened to me, like months worth of guilt. It's one thing to feel horrible about your own pet, but feeling responsible for the death of someone else's is so much worse imo.

methane47

I dunno man that pineapple seemed really enticing from the way he described it.

I don't blame him.

Best pineapple I've ever had in my life. Don't know if I'll be able to back to store bought. Store bought pineapples taste good but they are as close to jelly as you can get, they don't have much meat to it. This pineapple was meaty and juicy. My hands were drenched after eating a couple slices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom