• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was dogsitting, the dog got run over and killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Have a few drinks before breaking it to them. I can't imagine having to tell a coworker i killed there dog.

I'd quit my job and cease all contact with them to save my self having to do it.

take the dog's body to a vet. they can normally store it for you/your friends.

don't throw it in a bin or leave it to decompose lol

Magnus

I've never had a pet of my own before, but the idea of letting either a cat or dog out unleashed terrifies me. So much shit can go wrong.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ohh man, I thought from the thread title that maybe a stranger came by and kicked the dog or something. :(

Seems a bit harsh without knowing them at all. Seems like it is a rural area and allowing the dogs to roam free for a bit isn't that uncommon in that situation. Doesn't make the dog owners terrible. That is part of the attratction to living in such area, you and your pets can have more of a sense of freedom. I am paranoid about not having a leash on my dog, but I am in a suburban neighborhood with traffic going down my street every day, all day.

Not sure this incident is anyone's fault. It is just a bad situation. If the dog jumped in front of the car, it isn't like there would be alot of time to react.
I do live in a rural area like OP's friend. There are 2 other families on my street and my nearest neighbor is probably a good 200 yards away. We still have both a physical fence AND the invisible fence because letting your animals run around without supervision is dangerous both to the neighborhood AND to the dogs themselves, as this topic demonstrates. It is horribly irresponsible.

sangreal

I don't understand why you let the dogs out if the yard wasn't enclosed in some way without your supervision.

It's a pretty common thing to do in rural areas, which this apparently is. The OP said that those were the instructions he was given. Supervising the dog getting hit by a car probably wouldn't have helped the OP's situation much

rSpooky

I think from what I read so far that it is very likely this would have happened even under supervision. Dog is playing..car is racing.. You will always be too later. Neighbour should have kept his head and slowed down. But even that is a human error. most of us have experienced a moment like that and afterwards realize that we did a dumb thing.

soepje

Next Friday at earliest.
In the meantime N2 has brought his dog to the house as well. As he's going away to belgium for a trip. He wants to kill N1. Needless to say, these dogs will be under lock and key for the duration of their stay :S

Wait, people are just constantly dropping of dogs at your doorstep?

shortyme

Almost the worst possible outcome here. I say tell them after the surgery, but before they get home. Put the dog in a bag and put it in the freezer. This is a pretty shit situation for you but its not your fault.

Next Friday at earliest.
In the meantime N2 has brought his dog to the house as well. As he's going away to belgium for a trip. He wants to kill N1. Needless to say, these dogs will be under lock and key for the duration of their stay :S

I don't think you should leave it another week before telling them - I can imagine that the owners would be even more upset if you decided to keep such a thing from them for that amount of time.

It's going to hurt either way, but it's best to be upfront with something like this.

Pets are part of the family for a lot of people.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Your friends are terrible dog owners.
Maybe his friends properly supervise the dogs when they let 'em out.

I understand that this is a rural area, but dogs aren't cats, man. You can't just open the door and let them roam around an unenclosed yard without watching 'em.

methane47

I just managed to get in contact with them (it was difficult because they are in Columbia)

My colleague (the wife) broke down immediately and had to leave the room. The guy handled it a little better. Asked if I could bury the dog in a specific spot in the garden.

They told me not to feel guilty, but the guilt still burns inside, At the bottom of my throat and at the back of my nose... Just heart wrenching..

I'm probably gonna go down to the beach to pick up some rocks and shells to place on the grave. Maybe a large rock as a headstone.

This really sucks.....

This + MS DRM, what a terrible day

Menelaus

Banned
This + MS DRM, what a terrible day

mYJFa.gif

I'm sorry, OP...I just...I...

Awful, so sorry that happened :( Lesson for the future though.

Also, I've been reading a lot of British lit, and 'knocked down' in relation to being run over by a car always jerks me right out of the story even though I know what it means. Just seems silly.

NoRéN

I don't know why but this always makes me laugh no matter the context.

You're in some shitty situation, OP. I'm sorry for you, for the dog and its ex-owner.
Seriously, that line. Fucking line made me laugh but it's a terrible situation.

methane47

So I believe we are about done with the grave. It was a tonne of work. Wanted to go down yo 3-4 feet but around 2.5 feet there were only rock. I spent an hour breaking rock just to get a couple inches further.

I wasn't expecting there to be so much blood. I forced gf to turn away while I wrapped him in one of his favorite towels. Lowered him down and covered him first with slices of lime then dirt atop that, compacted the dirt then added more dirt and compacted it again. Added rocks ton the top. Dug a hole for a headstone then surrounded the grave with gravel. Then sprinkled some vinegar to the top. Hopefully that will dissuade any animals to go digging.

I think it turned out pretty nice. I hope the owners feel the same.

Any other ideas for decoration?

Dogs need to be leashed 100% of the time unless they're trained well enough to come to the owner/sitter immediately on command.

It's really terrible what happened, but dogs should never be let roam around unsupervised. You never know when anything can go wrong, either to others or the dog itself.

akira28

bummer story. So dog was hit by a car. I was expecting a cute and humorous story about a golden retriever being bowled over..fuck you english language

To disguise the smell. Don't want other dogs or monkeys or other animals digging anything up.

hahaha you need lime dude, not the fruit. the mineral, or maybe even quicklime. It will cover the smell and help degrade the body quicker. In America you would have just summoned a bunch of wasps and raccoons to dig up the grave.

Alienous

So I believe we are about done with the grave. It was a tonne of work. Wanted to go down yo 3-4 feet but around 2.5 feet there were only rock. I spent an hour breaking rock just to get a couple inches further.

I wasn't expecting there to be so much blood. I forced gf to turn away while I wrapped him in one of his favorite towels. Lowered him down and covered him first with slices of lime then dirt atop that, compacted the dirt then added more dirt and compacted it again. Added rocks ton the top. Dug a hole for a headstone then surrounded the grave with gravel. Then sprinkled some vinegar to the top. Hopefully that will dissuade any animals to go digging.

That's classy.

I'm not a dog owner, but I'd leave its favorite toy there.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Why did you let the dogs be free? Dogs should always be in a leash when outside.

Put the dog in a bag and put the bag into a freezer so it doesn't decompose.

The bag in the freezer advice is good but also sounds so sad :(

For what it's worth, the grave you made is very pretty though.

I don't understand why you let the dogs out if the yard wasn't enclosed in some way without your supervision.
If the owner came home, heard the news and yelled at you "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!?" I'd probably lose my shit and probably be kicked out of the house at best.

BibiMaghoo

If that was my dog I would be epic pissed that it died.

But I would sure appreciate that nice grave you made for it. Kudos dude. That is sweet.

DaNcaKe

I feel pretty bad for you, and know that regardless of what anyone says you will still continue to feel guilt. Looking after somebody's pet to allow them to go away is a pretty decent thing to do, just sucks that it turned out like this.

Also I feel bad for laughing at the "MS DRM" line.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

looks like you did as well as you could manage with the grave.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Awful situation man, but letting dogs out with no leash and no fence? Not sure I can really say much else about this without being particularly callous. Willfully loosed dogs are a sore point for me.

hahaha you need lime dude, not the fruit. the mineral, or maybe even quicklime. It will cover the smell and help degrade the body quicker. In America you would have just summoned a bunch of wasps and raccoons to dig up the grave.

omg I can't stop laughing.

Almost the worst possible outcome here. I say tell them after the surgery, but before they get home. Put the dog in a bag and put it in the freezer. This is a pretty shit situation for you but its not your fault.

No, it is his fault. His job was to keep the dogs safe, and he failed. It wasn't malicious, but it was careless and his fault.

That looks really nice man, you did the right thing and I'm really sorry some people in this thread feel like taking it out on you.

For the record I don't think you did a damn thing wrong, I live in the country and people let their dogs out all the time without fences or anything. 99 times out of 100 the dog can take care of itself.

Unfortunately freak accidents happen and I really do wish you the best. Guilt is definitely not the right emotion to feel here, it's nothing short of shameful that people are intentionally trying to make you feel that way.

edit: Wasps and Raccoons can dig up a stone grave now? Give the guy a fucking break he already said he put vinegar on the top, nothing is touching that grave.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Grave looks fine OP. Being straight with them was the right thing to do.

For now you can take a step back from the situation and wait until they get back to see what else develops. If there's any fallout so be it.

But for what it's worth I couldn't help but think of Ben Stiller in Meet the Parents when he tries to buy a new cat in place of the one he lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom