• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If all future PS5 games were to be ported to PC within 2 years would you sell your PS5

If all future PS5 games were to be ported to PC within 2 years would you sell your PS5

• Yes I would sell my PS5 or i was planning to get one but won't anymore

Votes: 78 12.3%
  • No it doesn't bother me still will play on PS5

Votes: 450 70.9%
  • I don't have a PS5 or wasn't planning to get a PS5 anyways

Votes: 107 16.9%

• Total voters

Guilty_AI

nah PC's simply cannot compete on both price and ease of use with a PS5, when everyone fucks upto bed or the wife just wants to read beside me on the couch i can grab my controller hit a button, tv switches over and be gaming in no time... fuck am i going to go sit at some desk haunched over a monitor in the basement playing some lawnmower sim when i can be playing the latest Naughty Dog game ;-) and before the mods send me a warning for console warring... ITS A FUCKING JOKE!
fe9.jpg

NO. It doesn't matter to me.

As much as I enjoy gaming on my PC and ultrawide monitor (which were both expensive purchases) in my bedroom, I enjoy gaming on my PS5 and 4k TV (both cheap) in my living room more. Gaming in the living room is much more comfortable. I tried gaming on the TV with the PC (with and without Steam Link/Big Picture mode) but I didn't like it much and I quickly gave up this idea.

Thanks to the console interface, I can concentrate strictly on gaming and, in the last year, I have finished more games on PS5 than on PC.

On PC, some games will degrade the precious weekly gaming session because of launcher issues, require admin rights/windows security waivers for an update, need an ultrawide display fix, download and install an update exactly when I launch the game (F steam !), etc...

In the end, for me, PC and PS5 are two very different platforms with different hardware architecture, different games, different controllers, different strengths and weaknesses. PC and PS5 are not in competition, they are a sweet combo, and I will keep it that way.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Nah, it's just two different things for me. In general I think playing on PS5 is more immersive. You might have a surround system up hooked up to the TV and perhaps somebody by your side on the couch to share the experience.
It all comes down to preference. Some games are meant for chill on the couch, others for PC
Why do people still think that you can’t play PC games on a TV?

KAL2006

Banned
I unfortunately have a 2013 PC with a 1060GTX, which won't support Windows 11 so l have no choice but to rebuild a new PC.

So there's value in the PS5 that people whom buy these consoles (Series X or PS5) may or may not realise.

You don't need to dig deep to see there's quite a cost disparity between a new PC and PS5.

Go look at the price of a 3060 GTX GPU (comparable performance to PS5) and you'll note the GPU alone is the price of a PS5.

Right now l wouldn't consider buying PC versions. I also want some of these games day 1.

If you can get a GPU with MSRP price it's worth it if not no it's not worth going PC. I'd actually go for 3070 minimum and it's just a little over PS5 price for that GPU alone. The initial cost for PC gaming is around £1000 - £1400 compared to a PS5 which is £450 or £360 digital. So of course PS5 is better value. But take into consideration if you want PSN Plus for online play that's an additional £350 over the course of the generation as well as cheaper PC games. So if you combine £450 as well as £350 and let's say another £150 as games cost more. That's a total of £900 for a PS5 in comparison to a PC which is around say £1300. So yes it's still cheaper. It's all down to if you value other features of PC gaming, better frame rate, mods, emulation, better backwards compatibility, other things you can do on windows that are not gaming related.

Last edited:

Flyinmunky

If the games launched day and date with PS then I would just use PC. That wont happen with Sonys main exclusives so I will continue to own a PS.

CheeseCake

This weird narrative keeps being pushed as a coping mechanism for Sony releasing games on PC.

Someone who is buying GoW now on PC didn't care enough to buy a PS4 for it in the first place. They also won't care if they have to wait another few years to play the best version of it's sequel. The pre-orders of GoW speak for themselves. They rather wait while playing thousands & thousand of games in the mean time than buy a console to play the inferior version on release.

PC & console gamers have different prerogatives. For the same reason people prefer console gaming to PC & vice versa. Sony knows this, that's why they are following MS footsteps into the PC realm. They want that PC market cheddar, nothing more, nothing less.
You lost me at "inferior version on release".

PC elitists are something else lol...

Anyway, how much will you be spending to play these games at the same resolution and settings as the PS5?

3000/2000$ ? (peripherals included)

Last edited:

MayauMiao

More I hear about PC getting PlayStation exclusive ports the more reason I just want skip PS5 completely and invest in upgrading my PC.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Nope because I can play PS5 games for $500. A rig to play ps5 games would cost about 3 times as much.

EDMIX

Nah, even with being a PC gamer, I'd still keep a PS5 as I still prefer to play my games using the PS controller if its a series I grew up with on that platform. As, its not saying Tekken on PC is bad, is saying I know the combos on PS, thus will always get the series on PS, no different then I'd still get the Company Of Heros series on PC if they make some 3rd game and have it on all platforms or something.

So God Of War being on PC, doesn't mean thats the way I want to play it even with owning a PC, would be like asking if I'd play all my games on a fucking phone or something JUST cause its coming out on a phone too or something odd like that. Doesn't mean its my preferred way of gaming on some IP.

Swift_Star

Banned
most PS5 games do not run at 4K tho, so why would you need a PC that can run them at 4K...

Control on PS5 runs at 1440 low settings. my 1200€ PC can run it at 1440p 120fps ultra or 1440p 60fps with raytracing set to to max. add DLSS, which actually makes the game look better, and I hit 80-90fps with RT
It also runs Deathloop at 1440p max setings with raytracing at 60fps... 1 or 2 years down the line that will be the entry level PC stats.
and the 60fps mode on PS5 runs the game without RT at lower res and settings than that btw. (dynamic 1440p going down to 1080p in stressful scenes)
Control is badly optimized.

TrebleShot

I’ve been seriously tempted to get a pricy PC rig for a while now, I can afford it and I am someone who likes to maximise quality and performance usually without worrying too much on cost. But the problem I have is I don’t think the delta is worth the cost increase.

As many have mentioned a PS5 is a seriously impressive bit of kit , it’s slick , easy to use has a feel and aura to it that I don’t think I’d get on a PC. There’s something about the buzz of a first party title launching on PS5 specifically that’s exciting and fun to me, that’s not something a £1000 graphics card can emulate.

Now going back to the delta, upscaled 1440p vs native 4K is a difference , I sometimes play games in cinematic or quality mode for the extra depth perception it seems to give BUT that quality is not worth the delta in price and also the perception I’d have that I’m essentially always in a race to the top.

Id rather enjoy the PS5 which is incredible and unique in its own way and enjoy the games/experiences as intended and with the initial buzz.

plus I could be working on this but isn’t PS5/Xbox outperforming PC in some areas at the moment anyway (SSD speed, integration, audio, Haptics etc)

Banned
Control is badly optimized.

is Deathloop badly optimized too? because like I said, that runs way better on my PC as well, and it's not the highest end by any means. a 3060ti is a full 5 cards below Nvidia's highest end card, and I still can run its without RT at 1440p ultra well above 60fps (about 100 to 144fps depending on how much is going on), while on PS5 it runs at dynamic 1440p-1080p in the 60fps mode with a mix of medium, high end ultra settings.
with raytracing it's not perfectly locked 60fps but still pretty much 60fps 95% of the time at 1440p... turn on DLSS and it's at ~100fps while actually looking better than native because the TAA is ass in the game.

so you don't need a high end GPU to play PS5 games on PC at PS5 quality or above whatsoever.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

There’s something about the buzz of a first party title launching on PS5 specifically that’s exciting and fun to me,
Its just herd effect kicking up gear. Marketing teams from big corps love leveraging it to get you to consume their stuff, like new apple phones, the new avengers movie, or the new god of war game.

Banned
Yes it is most Bethesda games have terrible optimizations and bugs galore.

is Death Stranding?... which, you guessed it, runs better on the 3060ti than on PS5... this is not a one off thing, basically everything runs better on a 3060ti than on the new consoles. and that's without factoring in DLSS which basically gives you free performance in many games while making the game look either the same or better

so if one of the entry model cards runs games better today, when the new cards launch next year even lower end cards will give you that kind of performance.

Last edited:

Banned
Cross gen games favor the PC.
Bethesda doesn’t make DS but you already know that.

I know they don't... hence I used it as a comparison... because EVERY game runs better on that card... that was my point. even games running on a Sony owned engine that was basically made for AMD hardware, runs better on an entry level Nvidia card that came out a year ago, than on PS5

Last edited:

ksdixon

In that scenario, financially i would sell my ps5 now, "safe" in the knowledge that whilst ps5's could remain sold out, i will eventually be able to play the games i want, probably with directors cut enhancements and the possibility of community mods/fixes.

I find cross gen and pc ports incredibly counter-productive in general. They lessen the "need" for a the newer console.

S0ULZB0URNE

I know they don't... hence I used it as a comparison... because EVERY game runs better on that card... that was my point. even games running on a Sony owned engine that was basically made for AMD hardware, runs better on an entry level Nvidia card that came out a year ago, than on PS5
PS5 games don't run off of HDD'S.
PC games do.
Those mentioned games don't fully utilize the PS5 hardware/architecture.

IF Rachet and Clanked RA came to PC, it would take more than that card to match the PS5.

Last edited:

Banned
PS5 games don't run off of HDD'S.
PC games do.
Those mentioned games don't fully utilize the PS5 hardware.

IF Rachet and Clanked RA came to PC, it would take more than that card to match the PS5.

not even remotely, you still are among the ones that seem to think the PS5 hardware is magic, well it isn't.
also most modern games tell you to play off of an SSD or they will stutter on higher texture settings on PC. this is why in the recommended specs they nowadays list SSDs not HDDs

Ratchet would run on that card on a pretty standard PC SSD just as well as on PS5. I mean we even know that the game runs fine on super low end SSDs (ones that were artificially pushed below the lowest PCIe Gen 4 spec)
also you barely can even get PCs anymore that have an HDD installed, so that point is mute. you would need a super low end PC to get one with an HDD build in. My old Mid range PC I bought 4 years ago had a damn SSD build in lol

Last edited:

Banned
Even the cheapest laptops nowadays have SSDs

yeah. my 450€ laptop from 6 years ago had an SSD + HDD combo lol, It's so hard to find PCs with HDDs nowadays. and if you find them they have them as mass storage not for the main use and playing games.
like you might get a 1TB SSD and a 4TB HDD in a prebuilt PC, but only having an HDD, that is only the case in SUPER low end PCs, we are talking PCs with integrated graphics and stuff like that

Last edited:
Nah, even with being a PC gamer, I'd still keep a PS5 as I still prefer to play my games using the PS controller if its a series I grew up with on that platform. As, its not saying Tekken on PC is bad, is saying I know the combos on PS, thus will always get the series on PS, no different then I'd still get the Company Of Heros series on PC if they make some 3rd game and have it on all platforms or something.

So God Of War being on PC, doesn't mean thats the way I want to play it even with owning a PC, would be like asking if I'd play all my games on a fucking phone or something JUST cause its coming out on a phone too or something odd like that. Doesn't mean its my preferred way of gaming on some IP.
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't any of those games work with a PS controller on PC. As a PC gamer, you should know that it works perfectly fine on PC.

PC can be plugged into the TV, just like a console. And besides having better framerates and higher IQ, the controller prompts would be the exact same, and you would be playing from your couch. Not sure why you would think otherwise, especially as it's been talked about so many times.

Banned
You want me to build a €3000 pc to play some of my favourite games a few years later?

why do you need a 3000€ PC? even with the prices as they are now a 1200€ pc outperforms both new consoles in every game on the market. give it 1 or 2 years and let the component shortage go by, and you'll get it much cheaper than that

a 3000€ PC would easily get you hardware that is as powerful as a future PS5 Pro or an Xbox Series X2... or whatever they will call it.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

not even remotely, you still are among the ones that seem to think the PS5 hardware is magic, well it isn't.
also most modern games tell you to play off of an SSD or they will stutter on higher texture settings on PC. this is why in the recommended specs they nowadays list SSDs not HDDs

Ratchet would run on that card on a pretty standard PC SSD just as well as on PS5. I mean we even know that the game runs fine on super low end SSDs (ones that were artificially pushed below the lowest PCIe Gen 4 spec)
also you barely can even get PCs anymore that have an HDD installed, so that point is mute. you would need a super low end PC to get one with an HDD build in. My old Mid range PC I bought 4 years ago had a damn SSD build in lol
It is magic if we consider that it's the fastest consumer gaming I/O and that EXCLUSIVE software utilizes a super fast SSD(best in class) unlike any other consumer gaming format.

They can recommend a SSD all they want, they still program games built around legacy tech.

Most people don't have a Gen 4 MB and a nvme drive.

RCU005

Every time I see these kind of arguments about PC, I wonder if people forget that the two main reasons people buy consoles are: price and convenience.

Consoles are popular because you just buy one and play at a reasonable price. I know consoles are not plug-and-play anymore since there are software updates and whatnot but they are much more convenient than a PC.

Why do people think that if a game comes to PC there is no reason for the PS5 (or Xbox Series X) to exist? Even if ALL games in the world were on PC, people will still choose a console. This is the reason that gaming is popular now and it's more mainstream than ever before.

If you are able to by a PC as powerful (or even more) than a PC or XSX, then of course you will have the choice to decide what is the better option for you, but 95% of the people won't.

Also, Sony wouldn't even make consoles if people would sell their PS5 to buy the games on PC.

So this discussion is useless. Only the people that can afford and are into PC will want to discuss in some way.

Banned
It is magic if we consider that it's the fastest consumer gaming I/O and that EXCLUSIVE software utilizes a super fast SSD(best in class) unlike any other consumer gaming format.

They can recommend a SSD all they want, they still program games built around legacy tech.

Most people don't have a Gen 4 MB and a nvme drive.

"the fastest consumer gaming I/O"
so you drank the cool aid I see... there are better PC SSDs out there that load data twice as fast as a PS5 ever could. the PS5 needs the I/O cluster in order to free up CPU cycles, that I/O cluster isn't even as powerful as a single hardware core on any modern CPU, and if you have a modern CPU you therefore also have a better I/O and potential SSD loading speeds than the PS5.

and we don't even have any real direct storage implementation yet, which will also come within the next year. + SFS, which will also help load stuff fast and efficiently and works on any modern GPU

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

"the fastest consumer gaming I/O"
so you drank the cool aid I see... there are better PC SSDs out there that load data twice as fast as a PS5 ever could. the PS5 needs the I/O cluster in order to free up CPU cycles, that I/O cluster isn't even as powerful as a single hardware core on any modern CPU, and if you have a modern CPU you therefore also have a better I/O and potential SSD loading speeds than the PS5.

and we don't even have any real direct storage implementation yet, which will also come within the next year. + SFS, which will also help load stuff fast and efficiently and works on any modern GPU
Fastest consumer I/O.
Do you know what this means?

Again PC software still supports 5400 RPM drives and other legacy tech.
This is why EXCLUSIVE PS5 games that don't have to be made for dated tech are the industries best looking games.

Get back to me when you can show me a single platformer that looks better than R&C RA and a better action adventure RPG that looks better than Demon's Souls.
Those two games alone look a "generation" better than PC games in those genres.

Banned
Fastest consumer I/O.
Do you know what this means?

Again PC software still supports 5400 RPM drives and other legacy tech.
This is why EXCLUSIVE PS5 games that don't have to be made for dated tech are the industries best looking games.

Get back to me when you can show me a single platformer that looks better than R&C RA and a better action adventure RPG that looks better than Demon's Souls.
Those two games alone look a "generation" better than PC games in those genres.

1) a Ryzen 5 is a consumer CPU that is mid range and has the power to load data faster than the I/O cluster of the PS5

2) again, support =/= made for. you can also play every modern game on an integrated Intel HD graphics APU, that doesn't mean the games are made for that. If you play on an HDD you basically have to set your settings so low that it's like a last gen version, and you still might stutter. just because you can do that doesn't mean there aren't also settings that are better than what a PS5 could ever do

3) Both of these games don't even use the SSD speeds of the PS5 and could easily run on a gen 3 SSD on any PC, so why do you use them as examples? Ratched looks good not because it runs on some magical hardware, but because the developers did a good job of balancing their resources to run well and look good on the PS5.
that game could easily run on a mid range Nvidia GPU with RT on at higher resolutions and framerates than on PS5. that is simply a fact, we know this because other games do that already and THERE IS NO MAGIC, it's all well understood hardware that is almost PC standard tech.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

1) a Ryzen 5 is a consumer CPU that is mid range and has the power to load data faster than the I/O cluster of the PS5

2) again, support =/= made for. you can also play every modern game on an integrated Intel HD graphics APU, that doesn't mean the games are made for that. If you play on an HDD you basically have to set your settings so low that it's like a last gen version. just because you can do that doesn't mean there aren't also settings that are better than what a PS5 could ever do

3) Both of these games don't even use the SSD speeds of the PS5 and could easily run on a gen 3 SSD on any PC, so why do you use them as examples? Ratched looks good not because it runs on some magical hardware, but because the developers did a good job of balancing their resources to run well and look good on the PS5.
that game could easily run on a mid range Nvidia GPU with RT on at higher resolutions and framerates than on PS5. that is simply a fact, we know this because other games do that already and THERE IS NO MAGIC, it's all well understood hardware that is almost PC standard tech.
PS5 uses custom parts and cannot be directly compared.
It's I/O is overall faster than any consumer gaming device.
I suggest you do some research on it before any further replies.

If a game can run on older tech theirs no way it can take advantage of the newer hardware specs like software made exclusively for the newer tech can.

Of course they don't utilize the full speed of the PS5(insomniac stated this|first gen) but it still runs SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the 5400 RPM speeds that PC software supports.

R&C RA is the best looking platform game because of tech and developer skill.

Everything else is more woulda,coulda and shoulda assumptions from you.

Top Bottom