• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"If only you could talk to the monsters"

Vitor711

Settle an argument for me GAF: Was this quote a satirical photoshop of Edge's original Doom review or did it actually exist? I swear I read an article a few years back suggesting the former but can't track it down.

DOOM the dating visual novel

Spoilers they're all tsundere
doom_isn_t_so_scary___art_trade_by_arborix-d8sfo94.png

I think it's real.

Keep in mind that this was written when RPGs and even first person games like Ultima Underworld were popular on the PC and would occasionally have those options, so a game where you do nothing but shoot stuff may have seemed dumb and too simple in comparison.

NoName999

Anyone else thought that this topic was going to be a humor piece about empathizing with racists by satirizing said racists as JRPG monsters?

OP, you might be thinking about how the infamous "Pro Tip: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies." is actually a shop and not an actual quote from GamePro.

daveo42

Banned
For some reason I thought this would be an SMT thread, not a DOOM thread.

EDGE tends to be on the trash side of the games reporting/review/journalism spectrum.

fade_

I think it's real.

Keep in mind that this was written when RPGs and even first person games like Ultima Underworld were popular on the PC and would occasionally have those options, so a game where you do nothing but shoot stuff may have seemed dumb and too simple in comparison.

Considering there were countless shootemups from Galaga to Smash TV. Not to mention Doom's predecessor Wolfenstein which is the exact same style as Doom I don't think this holds water.

Yohane

lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

Was the reviewer trying to be sarcastic or just a visionary?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Was the reviewer trying to be sarcastic or just a visionary?

Eh, we all knew what we wanted from 3D back then. It just took awhile for it to come. Him talking about the 3d parallax in the distance stuff but not actually being able to "go there" stuff like that.

I take it more as an editor knowing that, eventually, he'll get something like he wants, and Doom was just one step to getting there.

But just a cheeky comment more than anything.

Phediuk

Ehh, I can understand how Doom would've seemed really dumb and simple to someone coming off stuff like Ultima Underworld, Might and Magic series, Betrayal at Krondor and the like.

context is everything.

hemo memo

Gold Member
What if you are really the monster here and they just want to defend their home? And you just murdered everyone thinking you are the hero.

What if you are really the monster here and they just want to defend their home? And you just murdered everyone thinking you are the hero.

"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons
"I will shoot at him" said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted

You must face The Repercussions of Evil! :)

khaaan

Anyone else thought that this topic was going to be a humor piece about empathizing with racists by satirizing said racists as JRPG monsters?

I thought it was going to be about how the talking in SMT games feels like a dice roll no matter what you pick. And then I thought that =P

And then I thought about adding a "talk" feature to Pokemon.

Top Bottom