• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you care about PS5 vs Xbox Series X performance, you should just build a PC

skneogaf

I found this a good read

"One of the most tiresome flavors of console rumors is "which one will be faster", and there are already way too many of these for our comfort. Look, I'm going to say it once: it doesn't matter. There are going to be a wealth of multiplatform games out there and they're going to be roughly equivalent on both consoles.

There will be slight differences, of course, though you're probably not going to notice unless you watch a Digital Foundry video. But all of these rumors got me thinking: you know what scene is completely rabid about slight performance differences? PC gaming. Do you know where slight performance differences actually matter? Also PC gaming."

Interesting opinion article.

Last edited:

scydrex

I would love to build a PC but now is expensive to me and where live. The GPU's are more expensive. US$400 back in 2007-2008 are US$264 today in my country. Besides that in the past with US$500 you could get the best GPU. Now the midrange cost $300 at least. So parts like RAM and GPU are more expensive in addition of the exchange rate...

Last edited:

Entroyp

Sure. If Sony’s first party games come to PC and you care too much for power a PC is the way to go. You have to pay a premium though.

Last edited:
I don’t find hardware speculation tiresome at all. I disagree with the link in the OP.

I love DF videos. I love NXGamer rundowns. I love seeing consoles go head to head and seeing side by side comparisons

I frequented LensOfTruth last gen and it really exposed the multi-platform dominance of the 360.

hardware is hardware, hardware will always be tested and benchmarked, I don’t find objective console comparison talk toxic whatsoever

If one version has better shadows or draw distance then let’s hear about it

Stuart360

As a PC gamer, i do find it funny how the Next Gen thread is 80% posts talking about which is more powerful, and widespread paranoia over it.
Alas PC gaming isnt for everyone, and although its certainly much easier than it used to be 15+ years ago, its still a lot more complicated than console gaming.
Still i play my PC games on a conotroller, on a couch, on my 50inch TV. Hell i even control my PC from the couch using my controller. People need to get out of this ancient mindframe that PC gaming is hunched over a chair staring at a 20inch monitor. If you love the console experience, PC gaming can offer that.
Throw in the freedom of choice when it comes to game prices (seriously if you know whwre to look, you can pick up PC games for so cheap), resolution, framerate, settings, mods, cheats, trainers, etc, etc, etc, then once you go PC, there is no going back.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

There will be slight differences, of course, though you're probably not going to notice unless you watch a Digital Foundry video.

Yep. PS4 won me over this gen, and I'm quite at home living in the PlayStation ecosystem going into next gen. MS just doesn't have any exclusives that would change my mind. And if it turns out Series X is technically more powerful in some ways, that's just not going to make enough of a difference.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
It is still not confirmed that sony will let go all their first party game for PC

Abit too early for this

Last edited:
Nowadays performance is just not enough. Deciding factor will ultimately be game title exclusives. Nintendo's Switch is proof of that but of course it also has that portability factor.

Nintendo handhelds have always performed great. nintendo have finally built a quality handheld thats not dated that has some cool features. if exclusives mattered so much WII u would have done much better but the hardware and brand matters more. same thing can be said for ps4, while its exclusives have been a million times more popular then what xbone offers along with he hardware being better, it only has a small lead in sales in the US. it's Europe where ps4 is destroying xbone, where it's basically sony land and sony brand is much stronger.

@gkTH

IMO, my PC stands only for my works.
Game is just Game and on the console.

No need to expensively build a high-end PC just for games with regular works.

Reactions: Isa

Grinchy

Banned
Remember back when the PS4 came out and people would post the "$400" PC builds that were "just as good or better than" the PS4? I'd love to see what settings you have to turn current games down to in order to run them, if they run at all.

I really like PC gaming. But can we please stop pretending that it's not really expensive compared to consoles? It's such a stupid argument and there's really no reason for it.

You get what you pay for! And as long as you spend like $1300+ on a PC, you'll beast the shit out of the games that are on the consoles. But every time someone pretends you can do it for the same cost, an orphan dies of aids.

give me a
Remember back when the PS4 came out and people would post the "$400" PC builds that were "just as good or better than" the PS4? I'd love to see what settings you have to turn current games down to in order to run them, if they run at all.

I really like PC gaming. But can we please stop pretending that it's not really expensive compared to consoles? It's such a stupid argument and there's really no reason for it.

You get what you pay for! And as long as you spend like $1300+ on a PC, you'll beast the shit out of the games that are on the consoles. But every time someone pretends you can do it for the same cost, an orphan dies of aids.

Yup especially this gen. you are getting a way better deal with buying a console, since they have modern powerful CPU'S, and if both north of 10 teraflops thats gonna be a amazing deal for 500$, and then you factor in exclusives and its not a easy choice at all.

Justin9mm

As a PC gamer, i do find it funny how the Next Gen thread is 80% posts talking about which is more powerful, and widespread paranoia over it.
Alas PC gaming isnt for everyone, and although its certainly much easier than it used to be 15+ years ago, its still a lot more complicated than console gaming.
Still i play my PC games on a conotroller, on a couch, on my 50inch TV. Hell i even control my PC from the couch using my controller. People need to get out of this ancient mindframe that PC gaming is hunched over a chair staring at a 20inch monitor. If you love the console experience, PC gaming can offer that.
Throw in the freedom of choice when it comes to game prices (seriously if you know whwre to look, you can pick up PC games for so cheap), resolution, framerate, settings, mods, cheats, trainers, etc, etc, etc, then once you go PC, there is no going back.
One counter to your couch PC argument is that your 50 inch display is shit for PC Gaming. Show me without paying an arm and a leg where i can even find a 55+ inch TV that will give me all the features and benefits of a desktop monitor. What's the point of getting maximum performance of a PC and your display is not up to snuff.. Fuzzy image, terrible lag, bad colour reproduction, bad refresh rate amongst some other things! It's not the same experience like at ALL!

Last edited:

Stuart360

One counter to your couch PC argument is that your 50 inch display is shit for PC Gaming. Show me without paying an arm and a leg where i can even find a 55+ inch TV that will give me all the features and benefits of a desktop monitor. What's the point of getting maximum performance of a PC and your display is not up to snuff.. Fuzzy image, terrible lag, bad colour reproduction, bad refresh rate amongst some other things! It's not the same experience like at ALL!
Dont have any of them problems. I have a 4k monitor and i still prefer gaming on my TV.

Varteras

Gold Member
Even as a PC gamer myself the whole concept can feel daunting for a great many people. Trying to find the right components for the right price also means knowing exactly what you're looking for in the first place. Many people don't and it is a bit of an undertaking, especially for those who aren't very savvy. The accessibility of consoles simply makes so many people more comfortable. Granted, you don't HAVE to have a top of the line PC. It just depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to sacrifice. But for a ton of people it's just simply much easier to walk into a store, buy a console knowing exactly what they're getting and what it will run, and plugging it in at home with minimal setup. That's why they care about performance of consoles. Because they'd rather go that route than the PC route and they want to know what gives them the most bang for their buck outside of PC gaming.

Justin9mm

Dont have any of them problems. I have a 4k monitor and i still prefer gaming on my TV.
Sorry but you obviously just don't see those issues because they are factual issues.. There is no such thing as your average TV being used as a PC display not having these issues. There are very few out there that don't. What's your make and model TV then?

Aidah

Nothing wrong with finding the topic of console hardware and comparisons interesting. There are a good number of reasons to care, even if you are in fact skipping both and building a PC.

qiqiqiiq

I have been gaming on PC for quite a long time and I still like to have a console because most of my friends play on console, and I prefer playing online on my PS4 because of that and because I was never able to get used to playing with a keyboard and mouse, and even if all future games with multiplayer come with crossplay I will still buy a console for the exclusives or the easiness of forming a party with my friends to play together.

Stuart360

Sorry but you obviously just don't see those issues because they are factual issues.. There is no such thing as your average TV being used as a PC display not having these issues. There are very few out there that don't. What's your make and model TV then?
Its an LG, dont know the model, it was about £800 about 3 years ago. Well i dont notice input lag (input lag to me is like PSNow which i did the trial on, oh boy!) and i only game at 60fps, not bothrered about higher than 60fps. And the graphics are crisp and clean, much better than my mates PS4 Pro when he brings it around. I honestly think games look better on my TV than my monitor, even though its much bigger. And even if there was any shotcomings to it that i noticed, the fact i can game from my couch on a big screen more than makes up for them.

93xfan

Banned
-Consoles are a much better value, especially at launch.

-Developers get better results from the same specs in a closed box.

-The new consoles will likely surpass current PCs in terms of load times.

-PCs require you to use a keyboard and mouse for certain games in order to be competitive. (This is a big one if you like playing shooters).

-ease of use.

quickwhips

Except i dont want to deal with drivers or making my controller work or windows updates. Also my pc is for typing and working and wouldnt be great for gaming.

Last edited:

Romulus

First you gotta find out what type of RT will be in the next-gen consoles. Because if it's going to be lame features like RT reflections @ 30FPS, then it might be possible on a lower end card.

Even still, go build me a 9TF+ PC with a 4k bluray and SSD for $500. I'm all for PC gaming btw. 100%

GermanZepp

A good Pc sounds awesome. Sadly i don't have the money or the knowledge to build one. In the other hand, building a pc a little more powerful that a console doesn't make any sense to me. But to each his own.

dano1

A Sheep
How about no!
You can’t even come close for the $500-600 price point!!
And hackers in online shooters keeps me from even considering a PC.

Justin9mm

Its an LG, dont know the model, it was about £800 about 3 years ago. Well i dont notice input lag (input lag to me is like PSNow which i did the trial on, oh boy!) and i only game at 60fps, not bothrered about higher than 60fps. And the graphics are crisp and clean, much better than my mates PS4 Pro when he brings it around. I honestly think games look better on my TV than my monitor, even though its much bigger. And even if there was any shotcomings to it that i noticed, the fact i can game from my couch on a big screen more than makes up for them.
Well I definitely expect it to look better than a PS4 Pro but my argument is that if someone is going to choose building a PC over next gen consoles, than they are going to be investing to get a lot more performance then next gen outputs and that includes playing at higher then 60fps framerates which your display won't cut it. You will start to get screen tearing etc, higher lag, your colour display i can tell you while you say looks better than your monitor, is still not displaying correct colour palette.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, why am I investing in spending a lot more money on a PC for my lounge just to play at 60fps when next gen will do that as standard for $500.

Once next gen hits, Couch PC gaming on a TV display is not a great option unless you have the right TV for it.

Justin9mm

For disabled people it’s a lot easier to just fire up and play a console needing nothing more than a controller.

Also I played Monster Hunter World on both PS4 Pro & One X on my calibrated 4K OLED and could clearly see the difference between the two versions at a normal viewing distance.
I play MW 2019 on my X and Pro and I can tell you on my 4K TV, the X looks and sounds significantly better. I'm actually a Sony boy so I'm worried that it will be the same differences with PS5 and XSX.

I'm into the Sony Exclusives so I don't want it to be the same situation of having to buy both consoles again with PS5 for exclusives and XSX for everything else. I'm one who likes to play the best version possible on console.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well I definitely expect it to look better than a PS4 Pro but my argument is that if someone is going to choose building a PC over next gen consoles, than they are going to be investing to get a lot more performance then next gen outputs and that includes playing at higher then 60fps framerates which your display won't cut it. You will start to get screen tearing etc, higher lag, your colour display i can tell you while you say looks better than your monitor, is still not displaying correct colour palette.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, why am I investing in spending a lot more money on a PC for my lounge just to play at 60fps when next gen will do that as standard for $500.

Once next gen hits, Couch PC gaming on a TV display is not a great option unless you have the right TV for it.
There will barely be any next games higher than 60fps. In fact by the end of the gen, i still expect the majority of next gen games will of been 30fps on average over the whole gen. People really need to stop falling for the marketing, there will barely be any 120fps games, just like there will be barely any (if any) 8k games.
Also my PC is my entertainment hub, downloading, streaming, music, etc. I use it more than for just games.

makaveli60

Will these people never understand that not everyone likes to struggle to run a game on their system? Some of us enjoy the simplicity of just playing the game on the best way possible without tinkering, which only consoles can provide. Also show me a PC in 2013 for 399$ that can provide such graphics for seven years as the PS4. It's so boring now...

Justin9mm

There will barely be any next games higher than 60fps. In fact by the end of the gen, i still expect the majority of next gen games will of been 30fps on average over the whole gen. People really need to stop falling for the marketing, there will barely be any 120fps games, just like there will be barely any (if any) 8k games.
Also my PC is my entertainment hub, downloading, streaming, music, etc. I use it more than for just games.
I never said any console games will be higher than 60fps. I said that if you are building a PC over next gen console then you are obviously aiming for higher than 60fps, otherwise why are you building one if you gonna get same performance of next gen console for cheaper?

In regard to console not doing 60fps next gen, I get what you are saying and yes it is also developers choice but.... In this generation there has been so much negative talk/discussion on sub 60fps and 60fps being the standard that you best believe developers are going to be focusing on 60fps next gen.

I'm 36 years old, I've been around a few generations and i can tell you that this is the biggest leap in a generation we have ever seen in consoles. There will be a lot of 60fps games. We are already doing it on the X with a few games. The next gen systems trump the power of X, It's going to be easily achievable with Dynamic 4K. We all know 120fps and 8K is marketing hype bullshit for the most part but 60fps is not, that ain't hype!

Last edited:

brap

Banned
No thanks I like shoving a disc in my console and have it work. Don't want to fiddle around with drivers or windows or some random problem that's causing a game not to work on my pc

Top Bottom