• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you care about PS5 vs Xbox Series X performance, you should just build a PC

Jtibh

Banned
First you gotta find out what type of RT will be in the next-gen consoles. Because if it's going to be lame features like RT reflections @ 30FPS, then it might be possible on a lower end card.
Probably.

But we all can agree you wont build a brand new pc with exact specs for 500 bucks.

Also if someone wants the best they will buy a pc.
If someone just want to play games in a comfy easy way will not give a shit about performance differences . Like me.
I can buy the best pc but i cant sit in front of one after a long day.
Legs up snacks out tv on done

Pallas

I keep saying this myself, some people(myself including) just enjoy gaming on a console, regardless how powerful PC’s can get. It’s honestly not even a price thing with me anymore. I’m comfortable with consoles, grew up with them. It’s literally what I am. Now will I eventually get a gaming PC? Maybe but it won’t stop me from buying and enjoying consoles.

No, because I have a mental problem when it comes to gaming PCs in general, I like to build them more than I play on them (Overclocking, noise reduction, better cooling, etc.).

I also work on my computer, and I don't like to play in my own shit.

So in the end I get my consoles to play, and the PC is more of a toy in and of itself, unless the game doesn't lend itself well to console gaming (emulation, some fast paced FPSes, RTS).

Anyways, I expect most games to run at 60fps at more or less 4K, with some pretty nice detail level coming from the next gen consoles for AAA games. These machines will be fit for purpose, more than any 3D consoles have been so far (Not complaining about my PS4 PRO, but there is room for improvement). Also, there should be a ton of quality of life improvements, just with the standardization of high bandwidth storage, that will likely allow for some scenes on a scale that were unthinkable on anything but the most advanced workstation class graphics cards.

Gargus

Banned
Can just buy a console, plug it in, turn it on and play games.

A console is a lot less expensive than a comparable pc unless you build it with garbage. Windows itself will run you north of 100 dollars alone.

There is no compatibility issues or worrying about if your console can run a game. If you have a ps4 and the game box says ps4 then you're good to go.

It simplifies things a lot as well for the non hardcore gamer or someone who isn't one buying a game for someone else.

Consoles have a lot of exclusives that make them worth that alone. Sure some are or coming to pc but it's a small amount.

I can buy console games that I can keep and play in 20 years if I want, sell, trade in, let a friend borrow, etc. PC is all digital and the games have no value or guarantee they will be playable in a few years let alone 20.

Console games can also be gotten cheaper than their pc versions since physical games get sales and price drops and clearance at stores, things like trade in programs, store rewards can be used towards games, etc. Skyrim special edition on steam right now is 40 dollars, I can buy it new from Amazon for 20 on ps4 right now, and even less used on ebay.

For people who love co OP consoles offer a better in person experience for the most. I'd rather site infront of my tv in the recliner and play and yes I can do it with a pc but it requires extra hardware and setting up and offers a slightly inferior experince.

"Go build a pc" is as stupid as "get gud". Its just a closed minded and dumb knee jerk thing to spout out is all it is.

Oh and I love my pc I built almost as much as my playstation. They make up 90% of all my gaming.

Last edited:
I always love how any time these "built a PC" opinions come up and never mentioned the significantly higher barrier-to-entry for PC gaming then just buying a console.

not to mention, I don’t want to sit and fiddlefuck with any settings or compatibility/driver issues, weird/random windows issues, or anything like that.

I care mostly about collecting physical games, so PC gaming is only a casual supplement to my console gaming these days.

I used to be purely a PC gamer FYI. In my experience, I've found that the console experience is much more convenient if you have a only limited amount of time to play games and prefer to spend more time actually playing and collecting (physical) games.

TheShocker

471.jpg

Fnord

I can build a PC in my sleep. But the equation isn't that simple. I have two PCs I built at home now. One is a Linux box I was using as a server (bought a NAS to replace most of its functionality, as it's simpler to maintain and more power efficient). The other started off as a Windows box but is now a Hackintosh. There are many reasons I don't use either of them as a gaming platform. One, and probably the primary reason, is that I don't want to sit at a desk to game. I sit at a desk in front of a computer all day, five days a week. I don't want to do that at home. Sure, I could hook up a computer to my TV, but that's a kludgy solution involving having a keyboard and mouse (or worse, a keyboard with a trackpad built in) in my living room and/or bedroom. No thanks. Noise is another factor. I could do a water-cooled setup, but that's yet another pain in the ass (and expense). There's the space consideration. The PS4 Pro is smaller and less obtrusive than a PC. There's the simplicity of operation, almost complete lack of maintenance, and, of course, exclusive games library to consider. Then there are the costs involved. I have never and probably won't ever, buy the absolute most cutting edge PC components, but I try to get as close as possible without being stupid. And in that general area, we're still talking significantly more than a console costs.

Who knows, I may get a bug up my ass and build a beast of a computer for gaming at some point. But as things stand right now, it's far, far down on my priority list. Way behind the PS5.

I always love how any time these "built a PC" opinions come up and never mentioned the significantly higher barrier-to-entry for PC gaming then just buying a console.

The barrier to entry is laughable. Pay your friend or the store $50 to build it for you. Every single component seller online has a very good and super cheap assembly service. If you care about performance, you will be paying premium. Unless you're a larping casual trying to justify your console purchase.

Last edited:

Codes 208

if i want a good high-end pc to play 4k titles at the same levels of quality of what the ps5/SX promise, Id likely be spending the same price of a next-gen console just on the graphics card. I care about performance, but I also have a budget to consider and a good gaming pc is just too damn expensive.

TUROK

Okay, serious reply.

People who game on console tend to prefer the relative straightforwardness of them, so suggesting to them to build a PC just because they care about console performance really seems to miss the mark.

But eh, the article still has some okay information for anyone curious about building a PC.

Justin9mm

The thing that I think some PC only players find hard to grasp is that console players are not against PC and don't think console is better. We all know PC is superior in performance.

It's the culture, convenience and personal preference of a console.

I also have OCD.. I have a gaming PC that I don't play on anymore because I spend more time tweaking settings than actually playing and I'm never satisfied. Not having much of a choice on console is a blessing in disguise for me. Setting HDR and deciding on performance or resolution mode is rage inducing enough!

93xfan

Banned
Nah. I've built 2 gaming rigs last gen and this gen, and ended up fiddling with specs and .ini files more than enjoying the games at times.

I can't help it, and it's a pain in the ass.

That’s exactly what I worry about myself doing.

Why do so many PC gamers get this insecure when a console launch is around the corner?
I feel like its the console players that get insecure, and even downplaying PC players/hardware. The xbox/ps5 speculation thread is full of people that are saying console games will be looking better than PC games, and how the consoles will make PC graphics look outdated (Big :messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy: right there)

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned

First you gotta find out what type of RT will be in the next-gen consoles. Because if it's going to be lame features like RT reflections @ 30FPS, then it might be possible on a lower end card.

Sure and all that using an Pentium G5400 dual core, 4Gb ram 1stick only and a 250Gb IDE drive, a free copy of W10 and 15" TFT from the 90s because it was given free. That will show them! Tada : A fully functional 2 core potato killer machine for $350. #lol

No thanks man!

Why PC gaming sucks

- shitty drivers, ask 5700XT owners and in general AMD (6870 died on me)
- shitty Windows 10 store
- shitty EA store
- tits mods for your <insert here your favorite pirated game>
- mario mods for your <insert here your favorite pirated game>
- eSport is crap and no sport
- GaaS
- shitty 32" or lower Monitor and don´t come with "u can use 65" tvs as PC monitor!" Been thru that, not viable at all unless you wanna count the pixel pitch
- online focused 144fps crap
- too many wannabe Esport fanatics, wasting tons of money for no gain
- hacks
- cheaters everywhere
- P2P
- F2P (remove that and everyone going to commit suicide!)
- im done fiddling around with .ini, .config dis, config my ass!
- people shit on nintendo fans or xbros ... PC fanatics are the worst.
- AMD vs Intel ... the dick sucking AMD is getting is onpar with them recieving $$ from Arabs
- AMD vs Nvidia
- Intel vs Nvidia
- Overwatch vs something else
- open source means crap
- everyone begging for dem console ports
- 10 years laters they´re PS3 games on the PC
- switch piracy rampant on the pc, same with some PS3 games like Persona 5 "... but we own the game, i dont lie!"

I wish all these wannabes to go back and go thru the WindowsME days ... Raid0 with 2x 40Gb drive constantly crashing, windows crashing ... DRM with every game. Now i cant install most of them, because of star-somethign-drm64, so im forced to rebuy FIA GTR1 for $20 of steam ... there´s goes your "on PC every game of the past can be played!"

93xfan

Banned
I feel like its the console players that get insecure, and even downplaying PC players/hardware. The xbox/ps5 speculation thread is full of people that are saying console games will be looking better than PC games, and how the consoles will make PC graphics look outdated (Big :messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy: right there)

I don’t see many threads about console games making PC games look outdated. Threads like this are more common.

But yeah, I’m sure there are insecure people on both sides

Justin9mm

Can you please show specific examples of those comments? I've never personally seen those comments. I think you'll find if there are those comments, they are not serious and obvious troll posts, no one has 'seriously' argued this point, EVER!

Any idiot with half a brain knows a PC is superior performance. I think you'll find the probable argument is that next gen consoles are closing the gap, that's very different from saying consoles are better or will make PC graphics look outdated.

Last edited:
Can you please show specific examples of those comments? I've never personally seen those comments. I think you'll find if there are those comments, they are not serious and obvious troll posts, no one has 'seriously' argued this point, EVER!

Any idiot with half a brain knows a PC is superior performance. I think you'll find the probable argument is that next gen consoles are closing the gap, that's very different from saying consoles are better or will make PC's look outdated.

You'll see it all over that thread

Last edited:
Nah. I've built 2 gaming rigs last gen and this gen, and ended up fiddling with specs and .ini files more than enjoying the games at times.

I can't help it, and it's a pain in the ass.
LMFAO.

This is exactly what happened to me 2 years ago. I had a gaming pc and all I cared about was downloading mods, installing them and seeing how much frames I could squeeze out of my card at different resolutions. I very seldom played anything. And I would have an unhealthy habit of taking screenshots all the time.

Now I have a PS4 Pro and all I want to do is play the games.

Justin9mm

You'll see it all over that thread
Well besides seeing you responding to a shitposting of a 30fps and 60fps image looking the same which was obviously just stupid and trolling, I found nothing else in the first 3 pages saying a console is better than PC. I think you have over exaggerated this point and that thread was made to invite shitposting. I've never seen a mature discussion seriously stating 'console is better than PC'

You will definitely find a lot of posts saying PC master race and PC is better which for the most part is actually true but unless you can specifically show me a console player saying their console is better, you are trolling and therefore trying to start argument with a shit post yourself.

Well besides seeing you responding to a shitposting of a 30fps and 60fps image looking the same which was obviously just stupid and trolling, I found nothing else in the first 3 pages saying a console is better than PC. I think you have over exaggerated this point and that thread was made to invite shitposting. I've never seen a mature discussion seriously stating 'console is better than PC'

You will definitely find a lot of posts saying PC master race and PC is better which for the most part is actually true but unless you can specifically show me a console player saying their console is better, you are trolling and therefore trying to start argument with a shit post yourself.
Whoa, calm down. No need for all the assumptions. Check out the last 2 pages for instance.. Not sure why so much hostility, especially over on the internet.... SMH

ZywyPL

Banned
I hardly disagree with the article, especially with the part of using dated tech, as it will be (already is) the PC that will have completely fragmented userbase with RT and non-RT GPUs, quard-core vs octa-core CPUs, HDD vs SSD, and so on. I always find it really funny/pathetic when the entire PC market (a.k.a. a couple of billions of people) is positioned from the point of view of less than 1% of its users, who do have a couple of thousands $ worth, cutting-edge gaming rigs, but if you look at the rest 90-99%, well, the reality isn't as pretty as the internet tries to paint it. And I'm not even talking about the prices here, the article mentions 2080Ti which sure can do 4K RT today, but at the same price you can have all 3 consoles, Pro, 1X and NSW, and still have enough money left to get a decent 15" laptop for the ordinary PC tasks like web browsking, movies, Word, Excel etc.

Not to mention all the power the PC can ultimately get sooner or later somewhat vaporizes, because the PC periferals can catch up with it only so much, like the displays for example can be only so big, because people have only so much space on their desks (same applies for <70" HDTVs), and that affects everything else that comes with it - 4K is basically just a gimmick on PC, a unicorn everyone on the internet talks about but no one actually experienced, 1080p is the sweet spot since like forever, while 1440p being seen as the ultimate hardcore gaming resolution also for a very long time. HDR is pretty much non-existent, there are some displays here and there, but it's barely implemented in the games, and if it is then with a very mixed results. OLED PC displays are even more rare than anythign else.. At some point the hardware configuration is becoming seriously overpowered compared to what you can actually experience from it. Hell, the displays that can fully utilize the most powerful rigs out there often cost more than the rigs themselves.

The thing is, the times are a little different now then they were in 2013,where the PS4 and XB1 were sooo damn weak from the get-go, like for real, the games were dropping not just the framerate anymore, but resolution as well, Sony was actually even sued for Killzone:SF running natively in 960x1080, anyone remembers that one? So right as the generation took off we were already fully aware it will be all about sub-FullHD, sub-30FPS, painfully slow download speeds, slow ass HDD, and on top of that Jaguar CPU that slowed everything down even further, so anyone who really wanted to get at least a decent performance/experience really had little to no choice but to get a PC (even with just a mere 2C/4T i3).

And that's exactly what I also did, but as the time progressed, I now have a few thousand $ overclocked, watercooled web browser, no joke, I'm at the age where I don't have time nor I want to spend it on all the software maintenance anymore, like all the patches, driver updates, app updates, store/launcher updates, and so on, which is the essential key for PC being actually a great experience, while the consoles as of this gen take care of themselves while your sleep, while you're outside, at work, etc. Besides that, sitting in front of the desk is a pain in the ass, I have more than enough of that during my daily job, especially given that all the isometric view point&click games I used to love back in the 90's/00's like RTS and RPG games are long time gone, and everything is either in 1st or 3rd person view and can, or should I rather said, is exactly design to be played with a controller. Yes I know, I can always plug the PC to a TV, which I actually do, and as far as the games themselves once launched are not an issue, the problem still remains with with entire Windows, applications etc. that are not designed with a controller in mind, I mean, just browsing YT from the couch is way, way more convenient with TV's build-in YT app than with a wireless M+K combo, especially with those wireless keyboards with trackpads which are specifically designed for the (supposedly) comfy couch experience. I have simply reached the point where I completely understand why ordinary Joes DON'T want to get a PC, and why they prefer the good old convenient console+laptop/tablet combo.

So with all that being said, the upcoming next-gen consoles will undoubtedly be a huuuge step up from the current ones - powerful multi-core CPUs won't bottleneck any kind of activity, not only the games themselves but the likes of game/update installations, downloads, web browsking, anything. VRR will take care of any potential frame drops and screen tearing. SSDs which are one of the best PC's invention/upgrade will also come as a standard, so no bottleneck from the drive side this time around as well. Even wider HDR and Dolby Atmos/DTS-X utilization, and I'm not even mentioning 4K because it's a given, the list just goes on and on.

Now, I'm fully aware that within just a year (maybe even in 2020) the top-end PCs will be at least twice as powerful as next-gen consoles (while also costing more than they already are), but I think no one will ever look at what the PS5/XBX offer (especially for their price), and say "that's not enough, I want/need more!". In a sense, just as with high-end PC, you will have to upgrade all the surrounding hardware to fully utilize the upcoming consoles, like HDMI2.1-capable TV, Atmos/DTSX sound system, Wifi 5/6 router, etc. The PS4/XB1 were surely a very painful step into PC's architecture, but it was a step necessary in order to get to the point from which the PS5/XBX are starting off.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
What is, again, the retail price of a 12 TF PC with a Bluray Drive, a state of the art SSD drive, a good case, a Dualshock4 gamepad and a Windows license?

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

The games... if all you needed was a PC with a £1,000 graphics card then 'next gen gaming' would have happened two-three years ago. It didn't.

Next gen gaming will happen, when the next gen happens. A rising tide lifts all ships, and sadly PC gamers with £1,000 graphics cards will have to wait for the console space to catch up before any publisher releases games within that new power band.

Now, I'm fully aware that within just a year (maybe even in 2020) the top-end PCs will be at least twice as powerful as next-gen consoles (while also costing more than they already are), but I think no one will ever look at what the PS5/XBX offer (especially for their price), and say "that's not enough, I want/need more!". In a sense, just as with high-end PC, you will have to upgrade all the surrounding hardware to fully utilize the upcoming consoles, like HDMI2.1-capable TV, Atmos/DTSX sound system, Wifi 5/6 router, etc. The PS4/XB1 were surely a very painful step into PC's architecture, but it was a step necessary in order to get to the point from which the PS5/XBX are starting off.

Lol. Gap will be the same as it always is. Consoles push gfx to the limits so most games still won't run at stable 60 on console (let alone 120fps - which lets be real, is what people should be aiming for).

We are witnessing the slow decline of consoles. Soon they will all be PCs.

Last edited:
The games... if all you needed was a PC with a £1,000 graphics card then 'next gen gaming' would have happened two-three years ago. It didn't.

Next gen gaming will happen, when the next gen happens. A rising tide lifts all ships, and sadly PC gamers with £1,000 graphics cards will have to wait for the console space to catch up before any publisher releases games within that new power band.
This is why I hate how underpowered consoles are, have been, and will continue to be, in comparison to pc's. It's holding back the gaming industry as a WHOLE. It's bad for all gamers. We've had the hardware for several years now, but devs aren't pushing the boundaries of games, as they have to cater to the bottom and spectrum of hardware, which are consoles. Sure, this would bring the price up for consoles, but there is that saying... "Gotta pay to play"

Last edited:

CeeJay

Console gamers care a lot about how powerful the next gen hardware is going to be because it sets the bar for the next 7 to 10 years (excepting a mid gen upgrade). If you are building a PC then you know that you will be able to upgrade it with newer parts for many years to come, it doesn't matter too much if you take a chance on a slightly cheaper lower spec component, its always a moving target. Once a console gets its specs set in stone then we are stuck with that for a long time so there is always a lot of anticipation and discussion about what that spec is going to be. It might appear that console gamers to a large extent are obsessed with specs as much as PC gamers are but the distinction between the two is quite profound.

Console gamers care a lot about how powerful the next gen hardware is going to be because it sets the bar for the next 7 to 10 years (excepting a mid gen upgrade). If you are building a PC then you know that you will be able to upgrade it with newer parts for many years to come, it doesn't matter too much if you take a chance on a slightly cheaper lower spec component, its always a moving target. Once a console gets its specs set in stone then we are stuck with that for a long time so there is always a lot of anticipation and discussion about what that spec is going to be. It might appear that console gamers to a large extent are obsessed with specs as much as PC gamers are but the distinction between the two is quite profound.

Nope - most console gamers haven't got a clue how powerful their shit is. You're literally talking about the minority of invested console gamers who do care yet somehow can't wrap their heads around PCs because of laziness or lack of funds.

Aidah

This is why I hate how underpowered consoles are, have been, and will continue to be, in comparison to pc's. It's holding back the gaming industry as a WHOLE. It's bad for all gamers. We've had the hardware for several years now, but devs aren't pushing the boundaries of games, as they have to cater to the bottom and spectrum of hardware, which are consoles. Sure, this would bring the price up for consoles, but there is that saying... "Gotta pay to play"
Has nothing to do with consoles specifically, and everything to do with how the industry works and what the majority are willing to, or can, pay.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well, to buy something even remotely future-proof (which we don't know what that is, since new consoles are not out) cost me 50k CZK so around 2000USD. That includes R9 3900X, 64GB RAM, M2 SSD, RTX2070 Super, good Mobo and I did not have buy case, PSU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS (get the fuck out with "gaming on Linux", especially convinient one), cooler (thanks Noctua for supporting your product for a long time). So like realistic price is around 4000USD. If I wouldn't have it as workstation, I would never buy a PC to "just game"...

Not the mention about BIOS fuckery on AMD CPU/Chipset, which is completelly unrealistic to want from normal users. Manually changing timing of the RAM, etc. Yeah no...

CeeJay

Nope - most console gamers haven't got a clue how powerful their shit is. You're literally talking about the minority of invested console gamers who do care yet somehow can't wrap their heads around PCs because of laziness or lack of funds.
These are the type of console gamer that OP talks about though...

Sure, the majority of console gamers do not care but, those who are debating the next gen hardware and the subject of the OP do.

Has nothing to do with consoles specifically, and everything to do with how the industry works and what the majority are willing to, or can, pay.
Several devs catered to pc platform specifically, then 360 and ps3 came out, and many of them started to make multiplatform games, cause there's more money in them.

Fast forward to today, and the same problem exists. Even with having mid cycle upgrades, devs still have to cater to the bottom end (the standard xone and ps4). You also have to take into consideration the weak Jaguar cpu, which means games won't have as many particle effects, npc's on screen, advanced physics, and other cpu intensive tasks.

With the series x and ps5, I am hopeful for this generation, as pc games will evolve again, as well as get several console "exclusives", as MS and Sony realize they are missing out by not releasing to pc's.

Top Bottom