• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Had a Stopwatch That Could Stop and Start Time, What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learn how to operate a boat, start moving large shipments of goods to impoverished nations around the world, recruit more people to do the same, unfreeze top scientists to work in time bubble to cure diseases and further cloning research while the people afflicted are still alive, unfreeze more people to start fixing the countries infrastructure...

There's so many things that need to be fixed in the world. It seems possible even with unlimited time, because even with the material things fixed you can't change people.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm also imagining all of the free admission I'd get for so many sporting and entertainment events. Any football game, concert, play, etc etc..

And free travel! Pause time, sneak onto a plane that isn't booked solid, and find an empty seat.

I'd like to wander into the booth with various NFL commentators while live on the air. Just give me a funny disguise.. maybe some Groucho glasses, or a gorilla mask?

(The first thing I'd do though: pause time and sleep 12 hours. I want to be refreshed before I start my antics.)

And if my fngerprints or DNA shows up anywhere where I've pulled pranks, I want an alibi. So I'd pause time on a normal workday.. so that my coworkers can swear up and down that I was with them at work all day.

Walk around with a sharpie and stop time to draw dicks on the faces of horrible people like the crazy preachers downtown that keep calling everyone goat fuckers and screaming we are going to hell.

I'd mostly be going around yelling, "ZA WARUDO" and messing with people in small ways. Other than that I'd probably get myself a decent amount of money to live off of so I can focus fully on my shenanigans. I'd never be late again, that's for sure.

Dreavus

Great time to catch up on reading.

Assuming light particles still function as they should.

It turns out there are many potential problems with stopping time.

Tagyhag

If I somehow didn't age, I'd used it to sleep since I doubt I could play video games since they would be frozen as well.

That way I technically would never have to sleep in real life so I'd have an extra 7.5 hours to use.

I could also catch up on a ton of books.

If I DID age I would use it sparingly. Maybe to fight crime or something.

If someone was boring me but I didn't want to hurt their feelings I would stop time while they were talking and take a brief nap and then when I made it go again I would be better able to fake enthusiasm.

Addi

First thought: Get Rich

Second thought: become the biggest conversationalist in the world and gain power

Third though: End any war. Just walk out there on the battlefields, walk past bullets, pull out the pins from enemy grenades, carry civilians away from danger, assassinate evil leaders.

Speely

Banned
Stop crimes and tragedies from happening, I guess.

Since it's travelling at the speed of light anyway, and has properties of a waveform, it might not.

It still requires time to perform its basic function, right? Even as a waveform. I am not sure that you can divorce how light particles/waves work from the dimension of time.

Malreyn

Inspired by that awesome Twilight Zone episode, what would you do? Why?

I would probably use it to explore areas on my own without the risk of getting robbed or having to deal with people. I could walk through Camden NJ without being a victim of crime.

Serious question...does the watch run the risk of breaking and being permanently stuck in time stop?

Z..

I would kill everyone on earth except uncontacted tribes. Then probably kill myself.

Or attempt to overthrow modern capitalism, if you want a less extreme version.

charpunk

Can I touch objects to have to work while time is frozen? If so all I would do is sleep and play games because I’m a boring person with boring goals.

I’d probably rob banks too actually.

Kenstar

If you stop time, and you move something, would that something become invisible for you? With light being also "freezed" and all.

In fact, wouldn't that also make it super weird to walk, at least visually.

you wouldn't be able to see at all unless you were moving forward as no photons are hitting your eyes unless you run your eyes into them

and then you wouldn't be able to perceive the infinitely redshifted light thats all outside of the visible spectrum (yes even the highest frequency x ray and gamma radiation would be redshifted past the visible spectrum infinitely) and so you STILL would see nothing, ever unless you could move forwards at the speed of light

neither could you hear anything unless you moved towards it at the speed of sound as all sound will never propogate through stopped time, disregarding the doppler effect causing all sound to be effectively 0hz , too low to hear unless you moved forward fast enough

cool power tho

EDIT: also be careful walking as gravity won't have time to pull your ass down 9.81m/s²

and you couldn't breathe without constantly moving as you'd use up the air you inhale and more wouldn't flow in to replace it as the air is also stopped from time

I would stop time on an exam, run home and read up on the material related to the question I was having trouble with, then run back to the exam and resume time.

Addi

Can you walk on water then?
What if you jump and stop the time mid air? Would that stop gravity so you could walk in the air? Flying? Would food be rock hard so you would have to eat in real time before going on a new adventure? Can you breath?

Bernard%27s_Watch_original_opening.jpg

HeySeuss

What would suck is that during time stoppage, you'd have to walk everywhere you wanted to go. I'd love to go all over the world and explore pyramids and historical landmarks but you'd have to walk there or ride a bicycle (maybe that would work).

Walking that far, you'd eventually fall or twist an ankle or something which would make it difficult to continue.

Sleep. Steal things. If I was still in college just cheat. Set up elaborate strange scenarios with people then unfreeze to watch reactions. Progressively become worse and worse with untold power till I have a death note style ending

Kelsdesu

Gonna need some clarification:

Am I stopping time in the entire universe, or am I simply stepping outside of normal space time or am I just stopping time of a certain radius?

Dali

I'd probably kick politicians in the balls... like as many that deserve it in as close a vicinty as possible so that I could unfreeze time and record them all keeling over, tears in their eyes, wincing in pain, at the same time.

That and steal shit of course.

Estoc

MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA

ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

Star Platinum's
nerfed
time stop is much better.

Shredderi

Sleep. Steal things. If I was still in college just cheat. Set up elaborate strange scenarios with people then unfreeze to watch reactions. Progressively become worse and worse with untold power till I have a death note style ending

Basically this. Just start out innocently enough, only to become progressively ambitious and bored which would lead me to escalate things again and again until the time finally caught up to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom