• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Had a Stopwatch That Could Stop and Start Time, What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanee

Other than sleep for a ridiculous amount of time without worrying about getting up I would oddly enough go to Tesco, Asda or some place like that and have a walk around places customers arent allowed. My local Tesco has these big swinging doors I always want to got through and take a gander.

Oh and become a superhero. Or a super villain and rob a Toys R Us.

Ri'Orius

KxBnJaV3xgMqDKahbqhQDDHeUQQ=.gif

Not really. Steal stuff, sure. Maybe get a police scanner and help out in serious situations. Probably get drunk on power, attempt to prank the President, only to get thwarted by a secret government agency and thrown in jail indefinitely.

gun_haver

You wouldn't really even need to steal a lot of things, you could just use them for as long as you wanted and then leave the area before you restart time again. Boring example, but if you wanted to play a game on a console you don't have, just stop time, find a way into someone's house who has it, sit there and enjoy yourself, clean up before you leave, and then restart time. Nobody would be the wiser.

As far as any of it goes though, it depends on whether you would be getting older during that time period or not. If you did, I would probably use it very sparingly if there was some advantage I could get by stopping the time and getting some kind of information or manipulating some event while nobody was looking. If you didn't, I'd stop it all the time to do things like learn skills, get into shape, generally just make sure I was at my best whenever the rest of the world was active.

I would probably do something like steal a little bit of money from many different places, negligible amount, but that would add up to help me out. I don't feel like I'd be doing anything that hurt anybody in that case.

You wouldn't really even need to steal a lot of things, you could just use them for as long as you wanted and then leave the area before you restart time again. Boring example, but if you wanted to play a game on a console you don't have, just stop time, find a way into someone's house who has it, sit there and enjoy yourself, clean up before you leave, and then restart time. Nobody would be the wiser.

That's renting. In the Time Lord's dimension, all material things are mine.

Kimawolf

Keep time frozen until I can educate myself to be the smartest mother fucker on the planet and a genius. That's assuming the world stays in a "stasis" field and doesn't age.

realistically, you'd see lots of murder, theft, as some in this thread already said rape/sexually assault people. People are sick when given real power.

Also if you start a thread about super speed and being invisible, just like this thread, you'd get two or three saying rape/molest/perv on women or dudes.

gun_haver

realistically, you'd see lots of murder, theft, as some in this thread already said rape/sexually assault people. People are sick when given real power.

I know you mean by the people stopping time themselves - and yeah it's true, it would mostly be that, unfortunately (although I care less about theft depending on the circumstances) - but you could also stop a lot of bad stuff from happening ie, stop time on a friday night and just start wandering through areas where crime tends to happen and put obstacles in the criminal's path, take photos or set up a camera to catch it, or even just straight up drop them in front of a police station.

Make cash in a easy way that doesn't ruin someone else's life. Learn a whole lot of things. Cheat on exams at the same time tho. :>

If you stop time, and you move something, would that something become invisible for you? With light being also "freezed" and all.

In fact, wouldn't that also make it super weird to walk, at least visually.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I'd pause time and study for any and everything I needed to and I'd probably pay a visit to the bank and remove a shit ton of money and deposit it into my accounts at a later date.

Are there rules to this, like you keep aging while the rest of the world is stopped? So if you use it too much, after a while you would be older than you should be?

Otherwise I'd probably use it a lot when doing stuff like browsing the internet, and then do actual productive stuff during the regular time.

Beartruck

Pull down Trump's pants during the State of the Union over and over. I'm trying to think of a way to make money that isn't just "steal shit." Maybe I would bet on sports and randomly freeze time and run out onto the field and smack the ball out of the hands of the team I bet against.

I like your style.

Ventara

First post got it right, and I wasn't even thinking of it.

Anyways, I'd probably do something lame like try to finish my backlog and brag to Gaf. Or finish playing new games super early so I can trade them in for a higher value. Would probably mess with trophies, though.

Being honest, I love to imagine stuff like this but I hate when my brain starts to ask questions.

I mean, what would happen to the laws of thermodynamics? Laws of physics? etc.

Without some bullshit like Speed Force (but for time), there are way too many problems.

Speely

Banned
If you stop time, and you move something, would that something become invisible for you? With light being also "freezed" and all.

In fact, wouldn't that also make it super weird to walk, at least visually.

Holy shit. I have never considered that light would also freeze. Damn. That changes everything.

Fight crime? Be the funniest dude in every room by having an infinite amount of time to come up with every joke and rise to the top of the comedy ladder

peepee wherever i want to

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Stop crimes and tragedies from happening, I guess.

Holy shit. I have never considered that light would also freeze. Damn. That changes everything.

Since it's travelling at the speed of light anyway, and has properties of a waveform, it might not.

DESTROY IT IMMEDIATELY.

You forgot the mandatory secondary superpower: immunity from the stopwatch effect.

Someone would stop time, and never again would it start to move again. In this seeming eternity, you might have consciousness and ask yourself what the hell that gnawing sound is and why it's getting louder.
"You're scampering!"

chekhonte

I'd do a lot of the shit that people are talking about but ultimately over the years I'd probably just live in stopped time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom