• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could go back in time, what would you change?

StereoVsn

I

You'd have to restructure valve. They have a weird policy like 3D realms where they're sitting on tons of money and their employees just don't give a shit anymore.

There's a video where the head at the time asked what was going on with Duke Nukem forever and I shit you not that he says "World of Warcraft is sucking up too much of our time"

There's even a picture of Gabe playing WoW in the mid 2000s. I think realistically and I hate to say this, Gabe should be replaced with someone else that actually cares about game output on the software front, Steam is a multi billion dollar profitable company, not revenue, PROFIT.

Clearly they have interest in hardware but fuck dude, where are the games??
Once Gabe is replaced, they will bring in Ivy League CEO/CFO, go public and destroy Valve within 5 years. Let's just let them be.

I would try to change things, but they wouldn’t let me near any important deciders and call the security on me instead. After a few tries, I’ll end up in a psychiatry, because they think, I may need much help

Fuz

Banned
I'd kill flat tariffs and for internet and the widespread of ADSL.

Or kill Hitler's mom before he were born horse armor guy's mom before he were born.

Last edited:
643670731b369.jpeg

Laptop1991

I would show Bethesda the next 10 years after Dragonborn DLC released and tell them live service, MTX and online stores will not work for them stick to making SP games!.

NikuNashi

I would stop internet ports being added to game consoles.

Games would still be released in complete condition.
No day 1 patches.
No dlc.
No microtransactions.

Shifty1897

I would have saved the Vita so that Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on handhelds from 2017 on. Competition is a win for the consumer.

the_master

0- Stop The Wii and the casual games boom, the social media games and the casual mobile free to play games all together with the corresponding casualization, dilution of other games as well. Have an industry focused on hardcore gamers, with some games looking for other audiences but not so wild and dominating as today which affects all other games and business model.
1-Save Sega
2-Save Halo (maybe do not let Bungie go but let them do a Destiny Halo, with more games and less long gass)
3-Save the arcades

You could just destroy digital stores. Then mtx can't exist.
That means killing Steam too.

The reason I’m saying MTX is an inevitable point in history is because the purest, rawest form of MTX existed when video games first started: Arcades.

Game companies have been trying to chase that level of piecemeal profit for a while, and they finally found a version of it again with MTX.

All he would do is slightly change when it happens, not if.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
The ease of access to the internet.
Now days its all plug and play, you plug the router in, your device pretty much sets its self up and your good to go.

I prefered the days when gaming and especialy online gaming was for thoese who were realy into it, passionate about it. The days of port forwarding, having to manualy download and install patches for pc games, if you wanted to set your PS2 up online you had to purchase a seperate network adapter. To connect your PS2 or Xbox to the internet you had a few options but for me I had to have my modem connected to my PC then a network cable from the PC to my consoles and the PC had to be on as it was network shareing, wires all over the gaff.
The community was generaly better as most who were online made the effort to get set up, there was less people but it was a more personal experiance.
Im all for moving forward and making tech easier to use but this has enabled any fucker online who many 15-20 yrs ago wouldnt of gone through the effort, now we got aload of wankers online and enabled devs to churn out shit as theres so many people that will just buy it and lap up those micro transactions. Back then all these GAAS and micro transaction games wouldnt of had a chance as there just wouldnt be enough dumb cunts to keep the junk sustainable.

SJRB

Gold Member
Prevent the collapse of the Third Reich, obviously.

O wait, gaming related. Ehh..... I would stop Kojima from syphoning money to PT and other projects and make him make MGSV the game it was supposed to be.

Last edited:

Pejo

Tough choices:

• Prevent videogames from becoming mainstream. Not sure where exactly I could go to stop this, but I feel like 2008-ish was the point of no return.
  • Go back to before Sega made the Dreamcast and offer them some advice so it succeeds instead of fails.
  • Find Anita before she got into videogames and point her towards another hobby to scrutinize. How about yodeling.
  • Prevent the Gooch from making Spirits Within and keep him making games only. I don't hate the film, but this is probably a key to timeline correction and avoiding Square-Enix merging.
  • If the above doesn't work, then at least prevent Toriyama from becoming the director of FFXIII and sending the series into a 13 year plunge to the bottom of the toilet. Hopefully ending this year?
  • Hype up the marketing for Burnout 3: Takedown and Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed so we still get arcade racers released instead of boring as fuck sim after sim
  • Properly market Gravity Rush 2 so it gains enough success to not only keep going with sequels, but also keeps Japan Studio alive for years to come.
  • Make Sony select a JP head of Playstation after Shawn Layden instead of giving it to Jimbo. Preferably an industry veteran instead of a bean counter.

Just off the top of my head.

Paltheos

I couldn't come up with anything for a minute but then I remembered and this was an easy one:

Somehow raise prices on $60 games to $70 before microtransactions became popularized. They probably should have been $70 already (a quick check to an inflation calculator confirms that actually lol) but maybe this would have stayed the wave of piecemealing content and let developers get paid more and allow creatives more freedom in big titles instead of being cowed by tight unit margins.

Closer

I'd save Julius Caesar and then give him a playstation 1.
I'd throw in a few demo discs and Spyro, too.

I mean... If that's gaming related, I'd save the entire Library of Alexandria, throw in some GTA San Andreas cheat codes, and kill Julius Caesar while he plays that PS1 out of spite.

Last edited:
I'd just get rid of consoles after the 16-bit era. Everything gaming goes to PC, and overall it remains a smaller more niche hobby with more depth.
The new three consoles from this new timeline: Steam Machine(which still leads to steam deck in current day), Epic Games made a deal with Dell XPS and now their prebuilt computers are called EXPS, and Asus ROG series.

dave_d

Gaming wise? Pretty much have Sega not do the 32X, support the Genesis for an extra year or 2 and plan on releasing the Genesis successor a year later, preferrably world wide. (I figure if they planned on releasing it in the fall of 95 we'd have something between the PSX and N64 in power.) Of course if we're talking my life? Tons of stuff.

I mean... If that's gaming related, I'd save the entire Library of Alexandria, throw in some GTA San Andreas cheat codes, and kill Julius Caesar while he plays that PS1 out of spite.
I'll meet you in the middle, how about we save Alexander the great so that he can unite the east and west and continue to expand the library, and put a PS1 with Spyro and a PS2 with extra codes san Andreas in the library

I'll meet you in the middle, how about we save Alexander the great so that he can unite the east and west and continue to expand the library, and put a PS1 with Spyro and a PS2 with extra codes san Andreas in the library,
I would prevent the Roman Empire from collapsing and work with Ceaser to usher in steam power and start the Industrial Revolution early.

Edit.
kvltus lvlzvs kvltus lvlzvs
Didn’t even read the thread before posting, but really wasn’t expecting anyone else to post about Caesar. Surreal.
Absolutely blessed post

RAIDEN1

Tell 3DO not to sell the M2 tech to Matsushita a.k.a Panasonic because they won't do ANYTHING with the tech and it deserved better....

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The Dreamcast wouldnt have died, and a "pro" controller with two analogue sticks would have become standard.
MS of the Xbox and X360 would be strong partners with SEGA for the Dreamcast 2.
Skies of Arcadia 2 would be a thing.
MSR or PGR would still exist. (rest in power Bizarre Creations).

Top Bottom