• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could go back in time, what would you change?

hlm666

Go back and remove the fuckwits from commodore that let the company stagnate and die. Yeh I would like to see what a modern amiga/commodore computer would look like in the year 2023 ;)

Ballthyrm

I would try to convince Nintendo that online games are important.
We never got to see Nintendo games designed from the ground up for Online multiplayer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would get few ps3 fats on release and never unbox them.
Some for myself too.
ps3 has proven to be more collectible system and I collect for 360 as this is what I had.

As for "not me", I would punch george brussad in the face when he was sitting on a toilet and eating a burger as the thought "let's switch engine to idtech" came to his mind. Release dnf in 2002 and that's it.

DeVeAn

Definitely save SEGA and the Dreamcast. SEGA was so innovative with hardware and software. They had backward compatibility, SEGA channel, VMU etc.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Nintendo and Sony would have worked together as planned.

2023 sees a new Zelda and Final Fantasy title on the fifth iteration of their console.

MarkMe2525

As much as I loved my Dreamcast, I would have held out and got a PS2. The only thing I really would have been missing was the emergence of the NFL 2K series, which was admittedly awesome.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn't sell my 8 and 16 bit games. Not because I'm a collector. But back then I'd dump them for $20 at flea markets and mom and pop video stores. Turns out some of them are worth hundreds. Even shit like Truxton is worth good coin. And Musha I remember selling for $20. Ouch.

SHA

Making ps3 without alienating ps2 &1 community.
Same with pc, from the 90s it was supposed to elevate from there, not weakened.

Holammer

Go back in time to early 1982 and have a chat with Jack Tramiel, tell him the design philosophy for what would become the +4/C16 is a bunch of garbage. Outline the ideal requirements for the next gaming focused hardware . With more playfields, colours & sprite capability. Dual cartridge ports for expandability.
Also give Robert Yannes free reign to work on the final form of the SID chip.

Running_Arnold_Schwarzenegger.jpg

Don't do it Jack! TED will become a piece of shit!​

On a pure selfish standpoint, I would fire Maxime Beland before he put his dirty hands on Splinter Cell and turn my boy Sam Fisher into a Jason Bourne wannabe.

Witchilich

I would prevent the Roman Empire from collapsing and work with Ceaser to usher in steam power and start the Industrial Revolution early.
Lets say you somehow managed to make the Eastern Roman Empire retain Anatolia and there European lands (mostly the lands that Ottomans got first) and prevented the sack of Constantinopole. It was only after the sack of Constantinopole that the Europeans started for looking for alternate sea routes (as Ottomans closed the spice trade) and colonisation began.
The Romans lasted too long, if they lasted until present day they may have become the sick man of Europe like Ottoman. Rome would have to change a lot for a growing complex world. Considering how they heavily relied on mercenaries, a modern Rome would be Russia on steroids except only limited to Greece, Cyprus and Anatolia (after all they did call Moscow the "Third Rome").
Kill Karl Marx. He's obviously omnipresent in the current gaming industry. Does that count?
There won't be any Russian Revolution and Hitler may have won.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
One of two things:
1) prevent Sega from fucking themselves up, making the Saturn a desirable alternative/complement to the PlayStation,
or
2) make Yamauchi retire much sooner so that Nintendo can have proper third party support.

The goal would be to prevent PlayStation from becoming the absolute ruler of the console market, which is the reason for all of Microsoft’s shenanigans today and Nintendo’s decision to abandon the tech race. If PS had some serious competition 25 years ago, things would be better imo.

Esppiral

The PS3 would have come out equipped with the planned Cell GPU from Sony's patents, that way the system would not have been bottlenecked by the suboptimal GPU solution provided by Nvidia.

Ken Kutaragi would have been right and the PS3 would have succeeded right from the start while living up to the hype. Perfect timeline.
You don't really know what you are asking for, a PS3 with a second cell as a GPU would have provided results more comparable to the PS2 than the Xbox 360.

N64 with a CD-rom drive
Gamecube not resemble a toy but a real console.
Driveclub online debacle
EDIT:
dreamcast expansion to be equal to a Naomi 2 board

Last edited:
Lets say you somehow managed to make the Eastern Roman Empire retain Anatolia and there European lands (mostly the lands that Ottomans got first) and prevented the sack of Constantinopole. It was only after the sack of Constantinopole that the Europeans started for looking for alternate sea routes (as Ottomans closed the spice trade) and colonisation began.
The Romans lasted too long, if they lasted until present day they may have become the sick man of Europe like Ottoman. Rome would have to change a lot for a growing complex world.

There won't be any Russian Revolution and Hitler may have won.

But, if I went back I’d have future knowledge. As well as an above average knowledge of the geography of the entire world.
There’s far more than steam power and the Industrial Revolution I would try to start.
Of course I’d have to convince them to get rid of slavery, which I imagine would be difficult, but once machines started doing more tasks I think those things would naturally take place. Of course this is all speculation, who knows what even minute changes in history would ripple out and become.

In general, needing 2 incomes to even come close to what our parents could achieve with 1 income.
In gaming, take away storage, no more patching or fixing games later. Make sure they work and are polished Day 1.

Last edited:

Witchilich

But, if I went back I’d have future knowledge. As well as an above average knowledge of the geography of the entire world.
There’s far more than steam power and the Industrial Revolution I would try to start.
Of course I’d have to convince them to get rid of slavery, which I imagine would be difficult, but once machines started doing more tasks I think those things would naturally take place. Of course this is all speculation, who knows what even minute changes in history would ripple out and become.

missiles

Llamasoft become bigger than Ubisoft. Revenge Of The Mutant Camels biggest franchise on the planet, Llamatron, Hover Bovver and Gridrunner available on every platform.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'd assume project manager lead with SNK to work on a more affordable to produce, market and purchase NeoGeo cart version.

R0WiPZF.jpg

The commercial console was selling those VHS sized carts for a reason and also added to their expense in the U.S. market. They're the very same you'd find if you were to gut an SNK arcade console.

You were buying a miniature version of the arcade motherboard as a console for $650.
CKVEtwP.jpg

Therefore, there was no way to compete with the other larger platform because the thought of maybe waiting a few years later and releasing these in say...1999 or 2000 would have been better. I would have focused on promoting the arcade consoles at an affordable price and once the hardware was cheaper; then figure out how to produce an affordable home console. You'd still want to match the arcades in performance which was why they didn't simply port the games to deflate pricing. However, I feel had the timing been right and a little nostalgia sets in (let's say around the time arcade consoles start phasing out); then launch a few unit with test audiences before mass producing anything.

If not...screw that. We'll work with Sega to skip Saturn, have a silent pause during 5th gen and then bring Dreamcast in full force in early 2000. Of course, it's my past and success isn't guaranteed.

cireza

The goal would be to prevent PlayStation from becoming the absolute ruler of the console market, which is the reason for all of Microsoft’s shenanigans today and Nintendo’s decision to abandon the tech race. If PS had some serious competition 25 years ago, things would be better imo.
Couldn't agree more. They shaped the video-game landscape way too much for my taste.

AREYOUOKAY?

I wanna try something interesting. Have Sega not do the Megadrive, but instead start with the Sega CD as a standalone in 1989 or 1990. It’s not too unrealistic with the Turbo CD coming out in Dec 1988 plus the entry fee would be maybe be a bit less since it’s no longer an add-on. I’d say around $300 at the start to put an halt to whatever NEC is doing with their $400 add-on and a big price drop with Sonic The Hedgehog as soon as Nintendo releases the Super. The key would be having much better games instead of FMV garbage. So long as nobody has to pay an extra $150-$200 for a Genesis console also things should go a bit better.

I wonder if Nintendo would respond with a disc console much sooner depending on the success of this gamble idea. In the end the results of this may not be much different from the Genesis vs. SNES but I’m okay with that so long as Sega isn’t in the red and can continue to stay evenly matched with whatever Nintendo does.

Maybe the Atari Jaguar could fix its failure also by starting with disc as well but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
You don't really know what you are asking for, a PS3 with a second cell as a GPU would have provided results more comparable to the PS2 than the Xbox 360.
I'm referring to a pattent that suggested plans for a seperate chip that would have gone alongside the Cell, performing GPU-related tasks. Not another regular Cell operating as a graphics unit.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Have Sega focus on 2D games for the Saturn and not try to compete with Sony's 3D efforts
Unless they manage to convince Square to make a fancy 2D FF7 that ain't gonna work. However a new 2D Sonic sure would have convinced some to buy the console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom