• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you liked Splatoon then you'll love Paper Mario!

Neiteio

This is clearly the work of Jimmy the Intern. Guy doesn't care about videogames, so he takes a cursory look at the two games, concludes "rainbow jizz," and makes a ham-fisted comparison piece that focuses on colorzzz.

21XX

Banned
You're all
literally
taking this shit way too seriously
tbh

(Spoiler tags if you need to read that in the typical neogaf parlance.)

Mory Dunz

Splatoon has to sell mario now?
When it was announced, wasn't name dropping Sunshine used to compare splatoon some?
:------------------------------------------------
"lol as all the cool kids say"?

"memorable characters"
Well Lemmy,Morton,Iggy,Ludwig,Bowser Kamek, etc are memorable cause they won't go away all of a sudden...
Huey is cool though.

maxcriden

Is this really a frequent thing in advertising? I mean "from the creators of..." is commonplace, but this is a different kettle of fish entirely.

I feel like I've seen Nintendo (and others) do it quite a bit in gaming, yeah. I feel like Sony used to do print advertisements like this often ~10 years ago.

idwl

Britney-Spears-Cringe-Face.gif
Hahaha pretty much

lol, I guess someone needed to rant about Nintendo today.

"Can you believe the games they listed on the back of the box for my new console?! They have nothing to do with each other, and some of them aren't even good!"

emb

Ad seems like it's obviously tongue in cheek. People saying the games aren't actually similar are kinda missing the point, aren't they?

Or am I just giving it too much credit?

Toxi

Banned
They're trying to sell a relatively niche game on a dead system that barely sold 13 million units. No reason not to leverage every asset they have.
Ad seems like it's obviously tongue in cheek. People saying the games aren't actually similar are kinda missing the point, aren't they?

Or am I just giving it too much credit?
I'm not sure why you'd think it's tongue-in-cheek.

They're trying to sell a relatively niche game on a dead system that barely sold 13 million units. No reason not to leverage every asset they have.

I'm not sure why you'd think it's tongue-in-cheek.

Because it clearly is. These games wouldn't even be compared if they didn't both involve paint.

The whole ad is a huge joke "Hey, look at these similar games! They both have paint! And...characters? Color (did we say that already)? They're pretty funny too!"

Some of you take these things too seriously

This reminds me of the Chinpokomon episode of South Park...

"Hey kids, do you like Chinpokomon? Then you'll love... ALABAMA MAN!!"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What do all the unpopular kids (or "nerds" as all the cool kids are saying) use for "Laughing out loud" instead of LOL?

Holy crap, I came in this thread expecting to see a freshly non-juniored user making a silly comparison, but instead I find a lot of people who take Mario way too seriously. Do some of you have to take the piss on everything? It's just some fun marketing that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Kaisos

Using the phrase "the cool kids" makes it pretty obvious this is mean to be ironic. You guys are getting really mad over a tongue-in-cheek advertisement.

FWIW I think people who liked Splatoon for its jokes and visual style will probably like Color Splash too.

Top Bottom