• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iggy Azalea: Why Didn't Eminem get the same backlash from the Grammys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eminem has been trash for a decade yet wins Grammys by default. Does anyone outside of a handful of some sorry ass per-pubescent white people think MMLP2 was the best rap album of 2014?
jDWMWC4.png

He's technically a great rapper...or at least, he was. As others have said, Em put the work in and is OF the culture; he lives and breaths hip hop, always has always will. He's not some scrub who started rapping a couple years ago, tried to become a pop singer, tried modeling, etc before deciding to become a shitty rapper. She clearly doesn't know shit about rap, can't freestyle to save her life, is horrible live, and overall just seems fake as fuck. She's trash, brehs. And if you disagree you lost.
jO0bfTg.png

I'm no hater. She's getting money, I'm not mad. But I find it asinine that someone who isn't talented at all can get some pop hooks and suddenly be catapulted to success because she's white. I get it, people tend to be most interested in media depictions that mirror themselves; so white chicks are naturally going to gravitate towards a white female rapper. But jeez. At least Eminem was so dope no one could legitimately shit on him. This chick literally cannot rap. Out of all the white female rappers out there that could have gotten a mainstream shot, this is what they went with?
z1VSr8w.png

Not too much veracity in one post, breh. #ethered

90% of rappers have said things way more homophobic. The entirety of Odd Future drops "faggots" like they're nothing. I don't really see the big deal over what she said.

Okay, Eminem, Tyler, and "90% of rappers" have all been criticized for homophobic comments and lyrics. It's not like Iggy is being singled out here.

Except both catch shit all the time, rightfully so.

Why rightfully so? If that's how they choose to express their sexuality who are we to judge?

Funny thing is there is some great hip hop from Australia, very different to the US stuff, and not as commercially successful... I'll let you make your own conclusions ;)

Yeah man, hill top hoods are the shit.

Cipherr

My question is though, what do people have to be scared about when it comes to Eminem. Is it his demeanor?

They have to be scared of being embarrassed. The guy can pen a diss track. Honestly if there is anything that would wake the sleeping dragon thats been putting out mediocre shit since Eminem show, it would be a legit diss beef.

Hmm. Is he known as the "Diss" King? I don't listen to much of his music

He has a history of being incredible on diss tracks and responses to disses.

Okay, Eminem, Tyler, and "90% of rappers" have all been criticized for homophobic comments and lyrics. It's not like Iggy is being singled out here.

But still it's not like she even said "fag". Most rappers have homophobic natures. I don't see the point on getting on 1 for a single offense.
Yeah she kinda is getting singled out. Try finding me people criticizing Kanye for his homophobic lyrics in a Yeezus thread. I'll wait.

I asked a buddy of mine who is way more into the scene than I care to be a similar question a while back. He basically said it was because Eminem grew up poor as fuck in the ghetto, earned his dues, wrote his own lyrics, worked on his own music and Iggy was basically the opposite of that.

Damerman

Nicki Minaj and Drake are the king and queen of rap, respectively.

I'll never understand the drake hate, but no. I can't agree with this. Nicki is my fave female raper, only because Azelea Banks is acting stupid.

I really can't think of anyone other than Kanye...

rude

Banned
I asked a buddy of mine who is way more into the scene than I care to be a similar question a while back. He basically said it was because Eminem grew up poor as fuck in the ghetto, earned his dues, wrote his own lyrics, worked on his own music and Iggy was basically the opposite of that.
Um...iggy worked her way up too.

Two feet in the red dirt, school skirt
Sugar cane, back lane
3 jobs took years to save
But I got a ticket on that plane
People got a lot to say
But don't know shit bout where I was made
Or how many floors that I had to scrub
Just to make it past where I am from

No money, no family. 16 in the middle of Miami

Valhelm

contribute something
Iggy Azalea: When I'm being racist I mean it in a feminist way

ded

I think the biggest difference is that people are much more aware and interested in this issues today. When Eminem was still relevant, I doubt many Grammy viewers knew what cultural appropriation was.

Does Iggy Azalea even write her own raps? Seems weird that an emcee that doesn't write her own songs or produce her tracks is so concerned with her place in hip hop legend.

She is in the wrong line of work if she can't take criticism.
Kanye barely does either of those things anymore and he has his own religious following here.

Eminem is aware of the perks of white privilage and has addressed them accordingly

Plus he's one of the goats lyrically. Iggy can't say either of those things

But still it's not like she even said "fag". Most rappers have homophobic natures. I don't see the point on getting on 1 for a single offense.
Yeah she kinda is getting singled out. Try finding me people criticizing Kanye for his homophobic lyrics in a Yeezus thread. I'll wait.

People call Iggy out because she complains about prejudice herself. As many people have said in this thread and others, it's the hypocrisy. If you can show me where Eminem, Tyler, Kanye, etc rant about their haters being racist every other interview, your point would hold more weight.

Maengun1

I don't even like Eminem, but he's undeniably super talented and had some great records back in the day. Iggy is just awful. So not really the best comparision there, IMO.

Eminem winning this year was a joke though, so whatever. It's the Grammys rap category we're talking about lol.

Merc_

Can you imagine how quickly Em would have been chewed up and spit out by the scene if he whined like this constantly lol.

royalan

People call Iggy out because she complains about prejudice herself. As many people have said in this thread and others, it's the hypocrisy. If you can show me we're Eminem, Tyler, Kanye, etc rant about their haters being racist every other interview, your point would hold more weight.

Eh...I'm pretty sure Kanye's done this on more than 100 occasions by this point.

GamerSoul

This thread reminded me a pretty nice white female rapper that i heard about years ago on Gaf so ive come full circle. Lol

K flay. Vanic X K.Flay - Can't Sleep: http://youtu.be/ZAcDOuPxMyQ

K.Flay - Less Than Zero (Official Video): http://youtu.be/Ns54m4yLqTQ

Im not sure if she's still making much but i always liked her.

And i also always like Gwen Stefani's raps even if she doesnt do it often, iirc. She's adorable. :p

Gwen Stefani - Spark The Fire (Áudio): http://youtu.be/I86MzzVTZ9E

Kwixotik

People call Iggy out because she complains about prejudice herself. As many people have said in this thread and others, it's the hypocrisy. If you can show me where Eminem, Tyler, Kanye, etc rant about their haters being racist every other interview, your point would hold more weight.

Nah, he's never done something like that

He only failed because he couldn't leave Canada to promote his CD.

Wha?

Snow tha Product is a female MC from Cali originally from Texas (Okay so she's Mexican not white but still), any other Snow tha Product was destined to fail anyway. Snow needs a better ear for production tho cause god she picks some wack ass beats to spit over....so I'll just post her Sway in the Morning freestyle if only for the "Fuck weed, legalize my mom" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTg1GuYcDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyWA12whyn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgMRm5jGW-k

Her new single Ayayay! is kinda dope..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmuCtlcHzJA

malyce

Um...iggy worked her way up too.

Two feet in the red dirt, school skirt
Sugar cane, back lane
3 jobs took years to save
But I got a ticket on that plane
People got a lot to say
But don't know shit bout where I was made
Or how many floors that I had to scrub
Just to make it past where I am from

No money, no family. 16 in the middle of Miami
Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it
nzsigv2.png

Which ruined ghetto was she influenced by? She penetrated pop culture, but which block did she bring them closer to?

We as a people decide if Iggy's bad as they say she is. And we've come to the conclusion that she's trash. This isn't something that's up for debate
nzsigv2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom