• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iggy Azalea: Why Didn't Eminem get the same backlash from the Grammys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamerican

Eminem is seen as more genuine. Rough upbringing, writes his own stuff, most of his early music is not what you'd consider commercial. Iggy just seems like someone with the right look, and she seems to have taken every opportunity to not appear gracious.

mreddie

Wha?

Snow tha Product is a female MC from Cali originally from Texas (Okay so she's Mexican not white but still), any other Snow tha Product was destined to fail anyway.

Oops, I thought you meant Canadian Snow.

(Also a better rapper than Iggy.)

*hides in a box*

newjeruse

For me, it's because she's Australian and I don't think she's about that life. Yes Eminem is an exponentially better rapper and is charmingly unapologetic, but he became popular because he was believable.

Concept17

Because Eminem is and has always been amazing. Even his not-so-great stuff is better than most.

She is nowhere near his level.

edornob

If Vanilla Ice was a female he'd be Iggy.

It's shocking to me how similar they are, dress ridiculously, talk like they have learned the culture from movies, and put out mediocre music with catchy hooks.

Pretty much. Eminem had a reputation of being a good lyricist before the fame. Iggy did not.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kreayshawn's twitter > Iggy Azalea

kGSKdXQ.jpg

royalan

wow... she's good. this is good flow rude...

Eh, I remember being linked to this Snow chick. In my opinion, I wasn't surprised that she failed because she lacked the one thing that Iggy actually does have: A distinctive tone and cadence. People always underestimate how important this is for rappers. People always get so caught up in the lyrics, they forget that pretty much every popular rapper spends more time developing their style and approaching their delivery the same way a singer approaches a vocal line.

That was a decent flow, but she delivered it with the force and style of a saltine cracker. NEXT

Damerman

Eh, I remember being linked to this Snow chick. In my opinion, I wasn't surprised that she failed because she lacked the one thing that Iggy actually does have: A distinctive tone and cadence. People always underestimate how important this is for rappers. People always get so caught up in the lyrics, they forget that pretty much every popular rapper spends more time developing their style and approaching their delivery the same way a singer approaches a vocal line.

That was a decent flow, but she delivered it with the force and style of a saltine cracker. NEXT
yeah, ur criticisms are right. She has potential though.

Eh, I remember being linked to this Snow chick. In my opinion, I wasn't surprised that she failed because she lacked the one thing that Iggy actually does have: A distinctive tone and cadence. People always underestimate how important this is for rappers. People always get so caught up in the lyrics, they forget that pretty much every popular rapper spends more time developing their style, and approach their delivery the same way a singer approaches a vocal line.

From what I've heard, nail on head. She can rap but I can say that for literally hundreds of thousands of people who rap.

Eminem is seen as more genuine. Rough upbringing, writes his own stuff, most of his early music is not what you'd consider commercial. Iggy just seems like someone with the right look, and she seems to have taken every opportunity to not appear gracious.
iggy doesn't write her own raps???

Iggy isn't popular because she sounds like a amateur T.I. of her cadence and tone. She's popular because of XCX Charlie and Rita Ora killing the hook of the otherwise forgettable songs.

Hooks are what makes you popular why do you think popstars spend so much time making them? Ear worms derived from the hook/chorus of a song. Everything else is a lie. If it was about delivery, tone, and cadence Iggy would have blown up the instant she dropped
Iggy_Azalea_Ignorant_Art-front-large.jpg

because her borrowed style has remain unchanged.

There is a reason why Pu$$y was pushed and not any other song on the mixtape. The rest had garbage ass hooks/chorus that weren't catchy.

Floridian

Iggy isn't popular because she sounds like a amateur T.I. of her cadence and tone. She's popular because of XCX Charlie and Rita Ora killing the hook of the otherwise forgettable songs.

Hooks are what makes you popular. Everything else is a lie. If it was about delivery, tone and cadence Iggy would have blown up ages ago because her borrowed style has remained the same since her first mixtape.

"I'm so Fancy, you already know" pretty much got Iggy those grammy noms for record & pop duo songs in the first place.

royalan

Hooks are what makes you popular. Everything else is a lie. If it was about delivery, tone and cadence Iggy would have blown up ages ago because her borrowed style has remained the same since her first mixtape.

I don't disagree that her style is largely borrowed from TI, but it's enough to set her apart. You would know it's rapping within three words.

Also, she sounded a lot different on her first mixtape. She didn't develop her current style until she joined TI's camp. Before that, when she was recording in LA, she didn't have that dirty south cadence. In fact, in a lot of songs you could actually hear traces of her Australian accent.

And y'all give Charlie XXL and Rita WHOra way too much credit. Let's not forget that both chicks are in the same no-hits-on-their-own boat that Iggy is. These lessers all need each other. lol

Fury451

Banned
No, her music is legitimately amazing. I listen to trap gold and the new classic almost every day. Great production, interesting lyrics, etc. She's awesome and I feel like most people just hate on her because she's a (white) woman. She's put out the best rap since maybe kanye's or 50's early stuff? People need to get off the high horse and accept that's shes a great artist.

I thought people hate on her because she says really stupid things sometimes. There's basically a weekly thread for something new she's shot her mouth off about.

I actually like her, though I'm usually not into that type of music, she does have some good talent. I think she thinks that she has more talent than she does at this stage though.

dcassell

Banned
I don't like Iggy from a musical perspective, but it's important to note that a huge difference between her and Eminem is that Em fully acknowledges the fact that he's white in his music. It's his trademark, so to speak, at least for his earlier content. He made fun of himself and fully acknowledged the elephant in the room instead of rapping in an accent that wasn't his own. For me, that's what sets him apart in this.

I didn't know Iggy was white until 3 months after hearing Fancy.

No, her music is legitimately amazing. I listen to trap gold and the new classic almost every day. Great production, interesting lyrics, etc. She's awesome and I feel like most people just hate on her because she's a (white) woman. She's put out the best rap since maybe kanye's or 50's early stuff? People need to get off the high horse and accept that's shes a great artist.

C'mon bruh this is reverse trolling
flabbynsick.png
flabbynsick.png
flabbynsick.png
flabbynsick.png
flabbynsick.png
flabbynsick.png

"I'm so Fancy, you already know" pretty much got Iggy those grammy noms for record & pop duo songs in the first place.

Exactly. It's how EVERY artist blows up. No one cares about cadence or tone or else Megan Trainor's ass would still be washing dishes wherever the fuck she's from. Think of any artist out right now and think of their very first single. You're going to think of the hook/chorus first.

What determines your success in this industry is your ability to craft a hook that gets spins and gets parents/teens singing it nonstop.

Taylor Swift's breakout single? Shit that damn song had the most macho of dudes singing it in the gym between protein shake breaks because it was catchy as all the fucks. I don't even know the words to that song, but I can tell you that she wears short skirts and Taylor wears T-shirts, why can't you see that apparently you belong to her.

PSY? Shit wasn't even in English! But that hook, all everyone knew was "oppan gangnam style" then do the little jig.

Every time you hear "Fancy" sampled in a commercial of some sort do you hear Iggy's rapping or Charlie singing the hook? Rhetorical, we all know the answer. Iggy could rap like Benzino or Shawty Lo on a track but as long as she has a nice hook she'd be in the same position.

Remember when Eminem blew up with his first single? Everyone and their mom was singing the hook. Since that time Eminem has made songs about the very process of being forced to white songs with a catchy hook and how shitty it is if you want to be popular have a hit.

The reason hundreds and hundreds of rappers don't make it is because they can't craft a hook to save their lives. Think of some of the worst rappers who are popular right now and tell me why. Bobby Shmurda sounds like hundreds of other NY rappers but the reason he blew up and not them is because of the beat of his song, his little jig that went with it and the hook.

Why do you guys think Drake is killing the game right now? Dude has changed his cadence and tone so damn much over the years but one thing has remained constant. His ability to craft a song with an infectious hook.

Snow will never blow up because she can't craft a hook that can be used as a big single.

Carnby

I do not care about music at all but i just wanted to comment on this. Music is not owned by any one. Any race person can do any music they want there should not be some kind of owner ship of genre or something.

It's okay. I don't get the joke either.

Frog-fu

Banned
Eminem is actually talented. Black people were much more secure in their dominance over hiphop. People were less prone to bitch about culture appropriation.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
And y'all give Charlie XXL and Rita WHOra way too much credit. Let's not forget that both chicks are in the same no-hits-on-their-own boat that Iggy is. These lessers all need each other. lol

Boom Clap peaked at #8. Sit your ass down.

Floridian

I'd actually argue that the most popular line from Fancy is, "First thing's first, I'm the realest."

I don't know. Whenever Fancy is promoted, it's usually the Charli hook being used because that's what everyone is familiar with. To me "i'm the realest" comes off as extremely cheesy because she's not even using her real accent saying that. I think that line adds on to the criticism she receives because people believe she sounds so forced all the time when trying to rap.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Can we stop bringing this up?
Nope.

Nobody's perfect, especially someone who doesn't know the intricacies of race/class in the U.S.
She's been in North America long enough, and Australia has its own shitty history of racial strife. So, she doesn't get a pass. FOH

Meanwhile eminem STAYS saying homophobic and misogynistic shit on his recent album.
Only thing you've said worth a damn.

Vice

Eminem is actually talented. Black people were much more secure in their dominance over hiphop. People were less prone to bitch about culture appropriation.
It took Em a long time to get respect. Until Dre he was just another oddball underground battle rapper. It took like 3 platinum albums for him to be mostly respected by his peers.

Squire

Banned
yikes @ some of those other tweets. but that one in the corner doesn't necessarily make her homophobic. people who are have said things much more blunt, and much worse.

Being homophobic and being extreme in the thinking aren't mutually exclusive. The quiet, casual ones are the ones that are the most harmful, if anything.

GamerSoul

Exactly. It's how EVERY artist blows up. No one cares about cadence or tone or else Megan Trainor's ass would still be washing dishes wherever the fuck she's from. Think of any artist out right now and think of their very first single. You're going to think of the hook/chorus first.

What determines your success in this industry is your ability to craft a hook that gets spins and gets parents/teens singing it nonstop.

Taylor Swift's breakout single? Shit that damn song had the most macho of dudes singing it in the gym between protein shake breaks because it was catchy as all the fucks. I don't even know the words to that song, but I can tell you that she wears short skirts and Taylor wears T-shirts, why can't you see that apparently you belong to her.

PSY? Shit wasn't even in English! But that hook, all everyone knew was "oppan gangnam style" then do the little jig.

Every time you hear "Fancy" sampled in a commercial of some sort do you hear Iggy's rapping or Charlie singing the hook? Rhetorical, we all know the answer. Iggy could rap like Benzino or Shawty Lo on a track but as long as she has a nice hook she'd be in the same position.

Remember when Eminem blew up with his first single? Everyone and their mom was singing the hook. Since that time Eminem has made songs about the very process of being forced to white songs with a catchy hook and how shitty it is if you want to be popular have a hit.

The reason hundreds and hundreds of rappers don't make it is because they can't craft a hook to save their lives. Think of some of the worst rappers who are popular right now and tell me why. Bobby Shmurda sounds like hundreds of other NY rappers but the reason he blew up and not them is because of the beat of his song, his little jig that went with it and the hook.

Why do you guys think Drake is killing the game right now? Dude has changed his cadence and tone so damn much over the years but one thing has remained constant. His ability to craft a song with an infectious hook.

Snow will never blow up because she can't craft a hook that can be used as a big single.

Agreed a thousand percent. Those are the ingredients right there from my own personal view of what i hear on the radio...well except for big sean i dunno how his stuff makes sense. Im very impressed by how Drake has been consistently finding the right pieces to make single after single. A nice hook makes a world of difference. Remember that crazy song about the kids with the pumped up kicks? Lol. I mean wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom