• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Editorial: 3DS vs. PS Vita - Will History Repeat Itself?

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
Yeah, Pokemon wasn't really a fair example to use. As a fan of the series, I know why that game was built for handhelds. But the underlying game could totally work on whatever platform you toss it on. I suppose it just irks me when people from both sides call something a "console" game or a "handheld" game.
cry me a riverrrrr

daakusedo

If sony want to sell this a lot, they have to find some new magic games, because that's not with their current licences that it will happen, or about psp level but they surely hope for more.

KAL2006

Banned
remnant said:
no one is saying OoT or RE:R aren't console experiences, but most people didn't buy a 3DS just to play those games. Look at past 3DS threads. Pokemon, NSMB, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, those are the franchises people are really hyped up.

OoT is not the game that will define the 3DS this year. UC:GA the inferior UC game releasing this year is the game that will define the Vita this year. That's a problem for people for some people.

I think both 3DS and Vita will be more similar to each other than what PSP and DS were. Both Vita and 3Ds have your standard console type games like Resident Evil, Uncharted, Zelda, MGS and etc. Both will also offer pick up and play games like Mario, Pokemon, LittleBigPlanet, Sound Shapes, Hotshots Golf and etc. You have to understand, because Vita now has unique controls it can have those unique experiences similar to Brain Training, Nintendogs and etc. And of course Nintendo will always have the advantage of having Pokemon and Mario and I doubt Sony can make a franchise as popular as those, however they can still compete buy making new games or let 3rd parties make new handheld games. I for one don't it matters if a game is made for handhelds, games like GoW and GTA sold more than games like Echocrome and Locoroco on PSP, when I was a kid and played Pokemon Red, I used to play that game for hours like a console game.

Loonz

Buddha Beam said:
Vita will fail, and 3DS will struggle. We've seen it over and over again – nobody wants to play the kinds of games you play on a console on a handheld. The amount of people who do is very small, outside of Japan, which has pretty much all but forsaken consoles at this point.

Regarding Nintendo, they're making a mistake with the 3DS by not going hard after iOS and mobile games. They're instead apparently trying to get sort of last gen console-type games on the 3DS, which MIGHT work out, but I personally don't think it will. If the question is, "Do people not want to play home console games at all on portables, or just not "current" console games?", Nintendo seem to think people only don't want to play "current" console games. This is sort of backed up by history, but that could also be a total misread.
What Nintendo needs to do, and fast, is release a slick as hell 3DS smartphone.

As for Sony, Vita is very plainly a PSP successor. Their strategy st this point doesn't seem to be terribly different from what it was with the PSP, which largely didn't work. At least not in terms of overall market and mind share. Don't be fooled by the noise and hype they're generating. Outside of various hardcore gaming enclaves like this and various blogs, there isn't much excitement for Vita.
Near as I can figure, Sony is saying, "THIS TIME people will want to play console games on a portable!"

So... I say history will repeat itself, just so long as you ignore the existence of iOS and Android marketplace.

This is more or less what I wanted to say. A brilliant analysis of what's probable to come in the future. People want portable games in their portables. This time it seems that there are more of those on smartphones, and at better prices than ever.

I agree with you when you say that Nintendo should pursue more iOS games. But that could affect their main business: selling games at 40 - 50€ on a card. And they don't want that to happen.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I think they're being disrupted right now because of this, we'll have to wait until next January sales to confirm it but I think it's happening. And the Vita... I think it doesn't have a chance in the west, in Japan we'll see.

Foxix Von

I find it incredibly difficult to take articles like this seriously. Every time I read one of these comparisons it's always under the assumption that Nintendo is to too stupid to drop the 3DS' price by the time of Vita's release. I just find the concept that Nintendo would let the two compete in at the same price a joke.

KAL2006

Banned
Dr_Peace said:
I have seen all the software the Vita has to offer, and there are literally two unique Vita games on it.

The 'Little Deviants' minigame collection, and the music platformer game.

Aside from that, everything else is available on the PS3.

Yes, the 3DS is going to get games started off on consoles, but even MORE pure handheld games designed especially for it like Mario 3D and Kid Icarus.

For the games that are similar to console versions, it's all about implementation.

Uncharted Vita is going to be a borked Uncharted game, and being on the Vita has no benefit at all. Oh wait, it's got the minigame thing where you take pictures with a camera. That is not what I call important.

Resident Evil Revelations looks similar to RE5, but it also looks special. The game is going back to its survival horror roots, and the 3D is going to make a HUGE difference to the atmosphere (monsters popping out at you). The inventory management and aiming will be far superior thanks to the touch screen.

Resident Evil will become better, whereas Uncharted will be worse off.

Whilst there needs to be some leverage for personal opinion, it's just fact that a system needs to differentiate itself with SPECIAL games.

But Resident Evil is more of a couch game, you turn of the lights and play it on your big screen, and it isn't a pick up and play game like say Pokemon and Mario. Also Resident Evil could have been improved and be made for consoles which could have pushed the graphics. Isn't that the reason people hate on Uncharted, that it is a game well suited for consoles and could have been pushed more. You are also failing to understand that the games differenciate from console versions. Just like you gave the example with Resident Evil, that it being back to more of a survival horror, Uncharted Vita is going to focus more on exploration and puzzles, MGS Peace Walker focussed on bitesized missions and multiplayer. LittleBigPlanet Vita is uniqyue from PS3 version due to the new control innovation, you an make new game sthat cannot be made on PS3, such as the air hockey game using the touchscreen.

TO me it seems quite silly to give 3DS console type games a pass but not for Vita.

wrowa

KAL2006 said:
You have to understand, because Vita now has unique controls it can have those unique experiences similar to Brain Training, Nintendogs and etc..
I don't think whether or not certain games are possible on a plattform matters as much as the question who's going to have the "next big thing" first.

A game like Wii Fit for example (and I'm aware that the example isn't a good one) is also possible on PS360, but games like EA Sport Active didn't sell nearly as good on those plattforms as comparable games on Wii. It's about who's getting the attention first, who's building the market for a certain type of game first, etc.

Dr_Peace said:
I have seen all the software the Vita has to offer, and there are literally two unique Vita games on it.

Yes, the 3DS is going to get games started off on consoles, but even MORE pure handheld games designed especially for it like Mario 3D and Kid Icarus.

For the games that are similar to console versions, it's all about implementation.

Uncharted Vita is going to be a borked Uncharted game, and being on the Vita has no benefit at all. Oh wait, it's got the minigame thing where you take pictures with a camera. That is not what I call important.

Resident Evil Revelations looks similar to RE5, but it also looks special. The game is going back to its survival horror roots, and the 3D is going to make a HUGE difference to the atmosphere (monsters popping out at you). The inventory management and aiming will be far superior thanks to the touch screen.

Whilst there needs to be some leverage for personal opinion, it's just fact that a system needs to differentiate itself with SPECIAL games.
Those two and Gravity Daze, that's three so far, doesn't seem like such a bad number compared to the amount of unique games on the 3DS.

There are also a good amount of games coming from consoles to Vita that can be just as enjoyable as the console versions because of the features the Vita has, like LBP using the gyroscope to move objects on the screen or the touch screen to easily move items to create a level, the same with Modnation Racers drawing tracks and using the touch screens to create mountains or craters.

Then there is SSD that can shake the screen to drop bombs or touch both sides of the Vita to crush planets on screen, Hot shots where the touch screen is used to change the weather

Loonz said:
This is more or less what I wanted to say. A brilliant analysis of what's probable to come in the future. People want portable games in their portables. This time it seems that there are more of those on smartphones, and at better prices than ever.

I agree with you when you say that Nintendo should pursue more iOS games. But that could affect their main business: selling games at 40 - 50€ on a card. And they don't want that to happen.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I think they're being disrupted right now because of this, we'll have to wait until next January sales to confirm it but I think it's happening. And the Vita... I think it doesn't have a chance in the west, in Japan we'll see.
Nintendo shouldn't be pursuing iOS games because they will lose that battle to Apple, if that battle isn't already over. They will lose because they can't or won't shape up their online and because Apple isn't in direct competition with its game devs.

They have to go into core gaming because the games that they want to make aren't going to be profitable if they're priced like iOS games. Also, their third parties will probably jump ship rather than price their games in that range.

KAL2006

Banned
wrowa said:
I don't think whether or not certain games are possible on a plattform matters as much as the question who's going to have the "next big thing" first.

A game like Wii Fit for example (and I'm aware that the example isn't a good one) is also possible on PS360, but games like EA Sport Active didn't sell nearly as good on those plattforms as comparable games on Wii. It's about who's getting the attention first, who's building the market for a certain type of game first, etc.

I agree, but it doesn't seem like 3DS has the next big thing either, DS managed to get a new audience with Brain Training and Nintendogs, but can they do something new like that again. Of course I am not arguing against Pokemon and Mario it is obvious no developer including Sony will manage to create a IPs that are timeless like Mario and Pokemon. But Sony can manage to create new successful games, like they did with Uncharted for PS3 or a third party like Capcom making Monster Hunter for PSP or another 3rd party like Level 5 making a Layton game for DS. I am saying something like this is possible on both Vita and 3DS, not just 3DS.

Spiegel said:
After the E3:

Number of gaming shows left until the Vita launches: 2
Number of gaming shows left until the 3DS launched: 2

We are talking about the situation after the E3 and this is the list of games that were announced there
http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/109/1097918p1.html

Let's see the japanese support:

Atlus
== Etrian Odyssey
== Shin Megami Tensei
== Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
== Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

3 games are vaporware for now. The other, Devil Survivor, a port that was first shown this February

Capcom
== Resident Evil Revelations
== Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (name not final)

Two games announced. Capcom showed 1 Vita game this E3

Hudson Soft
== Bomberman franchise
== Deca Sports franchise
== Kororinpa franchise

Yeah

Konami
== Konami Baseball franchise
== Contra franchise
== Frogger franchise
== Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample"
== Pro Evolution Soccer (Winning Eleven) franchise

Tech demo (not unlike the MGS4 tech demo for Vita), vaporware and sports games. We already know Vita is getting KP games and surely will get PES and baseball games

Level-5
== Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (name not final)
One game announced. L5 likes to announce the games at its own show.

Namco Bandai
== Dragon Ball franchise (name not final)
== Mobile Suit Gundam franchise (name not final)
== Pac-Man & Galaga (name not final)
== Ridge Racer (name not final)
== Super Robot Taisen franchise (name not final)

Only Ridge Racer was shown. Surprise, only RRVita was shown.

SEGA
== Sonic 3DS (name not final)
== Super Monkey Ball (name not final)

Only SMB was shown. They showed 1 Vita game and confirmed 4 more in development

Square Enix
== Dragon Quest franchise
== Final Fantasy franchise
== Kingdom Hearts 3D Demo
== Codename: Chocobo Racing 3D

A tech demo of KH and two screens of Chocobo Racing were shown. Yes, this is a lot better than their Vita support for now but S-E Japan was missing this E3

Tecmo Koei
== Dead or Alive 3D (name not final)
== Dynasty Warriors (name not final)
== Ninja Gaiden (name not final)
== Samurai Warriors 3D (name not final)

Pretty obvious that only DoA and DW were in development.

Tomy
== Lovely Lisa 3D
== Naruto Shippuden Action Project

Yeah
We're not comparing similar timelines though. E3 2010 was about 9 months before 3DS launch and it's first ever showing. E3 2011 is not only less than 6 months before Vita launch, it's also the second major event for it. And even still, the Japanese developer commitment is appreciably weaker than 3DS.

And my point with those 3DS games is that in the end, most of the Japanese projects turned out to be something actually in development. You can try to spin it as vaporware, but hey, it better than announcing next to nothing like we've seen for Vita.

tzare

Dr_Peace said:

so, vita console games will be gimped ones but 3ds console like games will be great. Interesting.

Skilletor

Dr_Peace said:

This post is funny because it dismisses the things the Vita will do while lauding the DS. RE will be better? "Special" 3D isn't going to do anything for me since I will turn it off. The game will undoubtedly run better in 2D, look better because of added aliasing. Monsters "popping" out at you won't really be much different since it will be the sudden appearance, not the 3D effect, that will be startling. 3D adds NOTHING to gameplay. I don't see how Kid Icarus or Mario are "specifically designed for the handheld" if Uncharted on Vita is not.

theBishop

Banned
Foxix said:
I find it incredibly difficult to take articles like this seriously. Every time I read one of these comparisons it's always under the assumption that Nintendo is to too stupid to drop the 3DS' price by the time of Vita's release. I just find the concept that Nintendo would let the two compete in at the same price a joke.

How far does Nintendo have to drop 3DS to make the tech disparity seem palatable? And how far do they have to cut DSi's price relative to 3DS?

Dr_Peace said:

This entire post is complete bullshit. How does Resident Evil benefit from being played on a 3.5 inch screen? And how are Mario 3DS and Kid Icarus any more "pure handheld" than HSG or Wipeout? They could've been Gamecube games and no one would've batted an eye. I'd like to point out as an aside, by the way, that classifying any game as "console" or "handheld" is ludicrous in an age of sleep mode and instant on, features shared by both handhelds.

And at this point, to say that Sound Shapes and Little Deviants are the only non-PS3 titles on Vita is aggressively ignorant. We've seen Gravity, for instance, and we know that Uncharted, LBP, Resistance, etc. are brand new games and not ports. 3DS' marquee titles so far (OoT3DS, SSFIV3DS, Nintendogs/cats) are enhanced ports at best, but future titles are obviously more exciting.

Anyway, it's dumb to compare software. Both handhelds are inundated with ports and spin-offs because publishers are afraid to take chances on unproven hardware. In a year, this will be an argument worth having.

not agreeing with the comments about Uncharted getting worse on the vita, but horror games work out really nicely on portables. there's an added intimacy from playing on a device nearer to your face, with headphones on, in the dark.

if you haven't tried one out, don't knock it. portable horror is great.

i hope both platforms get plenty of horror titles.

Lesiroth

Dr_Peace said:
I've been a handheld gamer forever, and I don't WANT console-lite games. I want HANDHELD games. Games that are specially designed for and work best on handhelds.

Advance Wars is awesome, but I wouldn't play it on a console.

Pokemon is awesome, but I wouldn't play it on a console.

Elite Beat Agents is awesome etc...

HANDHELD GAMES. Do you see what I'm saying here?

Games are king, and the 3DS already has a great library in the making.
Pokemon.
Resident Evil: Revelations/Mercenaries, Tekken, DoA, Stree Fighter, etc... DAT HANDHELD GAME. Seriously the "People don't want console games on handhelds" point is freaking ludicrous, I'm not even sure why it is even mentioned anymore.

Vinci

Danish
Out of curiosity, I've seen various posters mention how the Vita is 'disruptive'... In what way is it disruptive? Throwing everything at a consumer including the kitchen sink isn't typically representative of a disruptive technology. It's actually a perfectly evolutionary step from the PSP, only this time Sony was more intelligent in choosing components and keeping costs in check.

For what it's worth, I'm not suggesting the 3DS is disruptive. Frankly, I think the 3D screen is about as worthless an 'innovation' as Nintendo could have dreamt up. Putting the Gamecube's handle on it would've been more interesting.

Lesiroth said:
Resident Evil: Revelations/Mercenaries, Tekken, DoA, Stree Fighter, etc... DAT HANDHELD GAME. Seriously the "People don't want console games on handhelds" point is freaking ludicrous, I'm not even sure why it is even mentioned anymore.
save states / suspend / sleep mode pretty much killed the need for games on a handheld to be specifically designed for portable play.

and i think it ignores history. what was 'portable' in the designs of many of the best gameboy games? how was Links Awakening designed for the portable experience?

Loonz

Lance Bone Path said:
Nintendo shouldn't be pursuing iOS games because they will lose that battle to Apple, if that battle isn't already over. They will lose because they can't or won't shape up their online and because Apple isn't in direct competition with its game devs.

They have to go into core gaming because the games that they want to make aren't going to be profitable if they're priced like iOS games. Also, their third parties will probably jump ship rather than price their games in that range.

I understand what you're saying here. It seems that Nintendo has to pursue core gamers with the 3DS because the "casual portable gaming" space is getting narrower and narrower for them.

It's just that I think it's a losing proposition. I'm not convinced that there are so many people who wants to play console games on the go, instead of playing them on their home consoles.

They want to keep their current portable business going on and I can accept it. At least Nintendo has its super selling franchises, and has Mario Kart and Pokémon. On the other hand Sony... not so lucky.

Skilletor said:
I just don't worry about it. I play games.
Same, I was able to enjoy GTA games on the PSP and Syphon Filter games, I don't go saying "man this would be better on a console" all the time.

Zoda

Neo Member
PS Vita will fail in the US purely because the general audience for casual touch screen gamer has mainly jumped ship to Apple, so they won't see much point in buying another handheld JUST for games. However, in the hardcore market, the PSV will surpass the 3DS in software quality

Lesiroth

Leona Lewis said:
This entire post is complete bullshit. How does Resident Evil benefit from being played on a 3.5 inch screen? And how are Mario 3DS and Kid Icarus any more "pure handheld" than HSG or Wipeout? They could've been Gamecube games and no one would've batted an eye. I'd like to point out as an aside, by the way, that classifying any game as "console" or "handheld" is ludicrous in an age of sleep mode and instant on, features shared by both handhelds.

And at this point, to say that Sound Shapes and Little Deviants are the only non-PS3 titles on Vita is aggressively ignorant. We've seen Gravity, for instance, and we know that Uncharted, LBP, Resistance, etc. are brand new games and not ports. 3DS' marquee titles so far (OoT3DS, SSFIV3DS, Nintendogs/cats) are enhanced ports at best, but future titles are obviously more exciting.

Anyway, it's dumb to compare software. Both handhelds are inundated with ports and spin-offs because publishers are afraid to take chances on unproven hardware. In a year, this will be an argument worth having.
I think I love you. Only coherent post so far in this thread.

SykoTech

Lesiroth said:

Don't forget Ocarina of Time, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion 2, Star Fox 64, Kingdom Hearts 3D, and so on. The whole "handheld games must be completely unique" thing is such a terrible argument and quite the double standard. But this topic is basically fanboy wars, so it's no surprise to see people reduced to using terrible reasoning.

MrMephistoX

Darryl said:
The 3DS has like, 3D in your hands. The Vita has a back touchscreen?

I don't get how you can judge the Vita to be the most disruptive, it's the next logical step for a handheld gaming device. It's exactly what I expected the next generation of handheld gaming to be.

I agree with them. 3G, always on AR due to the 3G, bite-sized apps for this and Sony certified Android devices, multi-touch without a stylus, downloadable full retail releases day one, the back touch and stunning graphics are a lot more disruptive than 3D. Take Zelda for example, great game but the 3D isn't a game changer and without it turned on the 3DS loses it's key selling point: while the 3DS is as powerful as a portable Gamecube it's no longer a disruptive device and in fact the touch capabilities of the DS have been displaced by Apple and other multi-touch devices. While neither will be a colossal failure one has more potential than the other to shake things up and I'm betting on Sony this time.

SykoTech said:
Don't forget Ocarina of Time, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion 2, Star Fox 64, Kingdom Hearts 3D, and so on. The whole "handheld games must be completely unique" thing is such a terrible argument and quite the double standard. But this topic is basically fanboy wars, so it's no surprise to see people reduced to using terrible reasoning.

We'll know for sure in a year after we see hwo this handhelds perform but I don't disagree with you. I love my iPhone gaming but sometimes I want that full console experience on the go. Most won't need both of these systems but surely they wouldn't mind one if it fits in their budget.

Lesiroth

SykoTech said:
I only accept unique handheld experiences delicately handcrafted by Lord Nintendo-sama exclusively for us enlightened gamers!

wrowa

KAL2006 said:
I agree, but it doesn't seem like 3DS has the next big thing either, DS managed to get a new audience with Brain Training and Nintendogs, but can they do something new like that again. Of course I am not arguing against Pokemon and Mario it is obvious no developer including Sony will manage to create a IPs that are timeless like Mario and Pokemon. But Sony can manage to create new successful games, like they did with Uncharted for PS3 or a third party like Capcom making Monster Hunter for PSP or another 3rd party like Level 5 making a Layton game for DS. I am saying something like this is possible on both Vita and 3DS, not just 3DS.
I'm not arguing for the 3DS and against Vita, or vice-versa. I agree with most of what you say, though.

As it is now, I don't see either handheld becoming what I would define as a success. Both are missing games that have, to my mind, the potential to gather the attention of the mass market. Aka games that are as special as Brain Training, Wii Sports or other system defining hits of the last years.

At the same time both devices have their fair share of problems. Both are too expensive (I know that the Vita is rather cheap for what it is, but I'm not sure whether the market actually wants a cutting-edge handheld -- I'm convinced that being cheap is more important for a handheld than having great graphics), both are competing against an prior unknown enemy, both have games whose appeal to the market isn't clear and so on.

I couldn't say right now which plattform will succeed against the other based on what we know today. There are too many things uncertain.

The PS Vita might have a better appeal to the core audiences -- it has great graphics, it has games very similar to current gen games. But how many core gamers are actually interested in gaming on a handheld? I doubt that the lack of proper dual anlog controls were the reason why similar PSP games didn't sell as good as their console counterparts. (The lack of Resident Evil: Revelations E3 coverage makes it obvious that a huge part of the core audience aren't actually interested in comparable 3DS games -- but is that because of the 3DS's graphics or because of it being a handheld game?)

The 3DS might have a better appeal to the casual audience thanks to Mario -- Mario games are currently as popular as never before, with both the lates NSMB and Mario Kart selling way more than 20 million units. But are those games enough to sell 3DSs to people? Or is the success of these games dependant on a "big game" that made the console popular before? Are the people who bought NSMB/NSMB Wii and MK DS/MK Wii even interested in buying a 3rd game?

Dr_Peace

Banned
KAL2006 said:
But Resident Evil is more of a couch game, you turn of the lights and play it on your big screen, and it isn't a pick up and play game like say Pokemon and Mario. Also Resident Evil could have been improved and be made for consoles which could have pushed the graphics. Isn't that the reason people hate on Uncharted, that it is a game well suited for consoles and could have been pushed more. You are also failing to understand that the games differenciate from console versions. Just like you gave the example with Resident Evil, that it being back to more of a survival horror, Uncharted Vita is going to focus more on exploration and puzzles, MGS Peace Walker focussed on bitesized missions and multiplayer. LittleBigPlanet Vita is uniqyue from PS3 version due to the new control innovation, you an make new game sthat cannot be made on PS3, such as the air hockey game using the touchscreen.

TO me it seems quite silly to give 3DS console type games a pass but not for Vita.

I'm not giving anything a pass, I'm just that RE:Revelations (which I said is similar to a console game) survives the transition to the 3DS FAR better than Uncharted does.

Uncharted Vita is going to focus more on exploration and puzzles? Prove it. The demo at E3 showed nothing more than regular Uncharted gameplay with some optional controls. Being on the Vita just makes it a weaker Uncharted game (weaker visuals, less cinematic which is the whole point) and that exploration/puzzling you say exists could easily be done on the PS3.

I can show you RE:Revelations footage that shows actual tangible IMPROVEMENTS over what RE5 was able to accomplish thanks to the 3DS hardware. Those include the 3D to augment the horror experience, more puzzle variety, better aiming and inventory management etc.

LittleBigPlanet has touch screen controls? INNOVATION!!! 2004 ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

My point is, how is the experience significantly BETTER or DIFFERENT?

I've not played Peace Walker, but obviously a cinematic Metal Gear Solid game is EXACTLY what you want on a bus. They are also porting it to the PS3 in HD, which shows just how special the game was in the first place.

The whole point of a handheld game is that it works BETTER on a handheld. You CAN port a DS Pokemon game to a console but why would you?

AranhaHunter said:
Which game? And please don't say Revelations.

Yes I OBVIOUSLY mean Revelations, it's way beyond RE4 in terms of fidelity and closer to RE5. Not to mention the fact that they got RE5 assets (the Public Assembly RE5 level) to work on it.

Do you seriously think it doesn't look good? You're on your own there.

Skilletor said:
This post is funny because it dismisses the things the Vita will do while lauding the DS. RE will be better? "Special" 3D isn't going to do anything for me since I will turn it off. The game will undoubtedly run better in 2D, look better because of added aliasing. Monsters "popping" out at you won't really be much different since it will be the sudden appearance, not the 3D effect, that will be startling. 3D adds NOTHING to gameplay. I don't see how Kid Icarus or Mario are "specifically designed for the handheld" if Uncharted on Vita is not.

I find it funny that you don't realise you're in the tiny minority when you think 3D adds nothing to the experience :p

3D is great, I'm sorry you can't enjoy it. It makes the experience far more immersive and will work wonders for a horror game.

Added aliasing? I think the term you're searching for is 'anti-aliasing', and no they MOST LIKELY won't be adding such expensive rendering effects just in case someone turns the switch to 2D mode.

Jokeropia

PortTwo said:
That Nintendo Cycle diagram is highly ahistorical, up until this last cycle. Pretty funny actually.
Manmademan said:
It's obvious that was drawn up by someone with a goldfish memory. It was only true with the DS and the Wii.

Nintendo's console hardware was in a very bad place after the GC launch. (The Gameboy line was thriving, but had no serious competitors).

The SNES lost half the market to the Genesis, The N64 and Gamecube lost even more to microsoft and Sony. They were certainly not "printing money" with that hardware by any means.
The SNES, N64 and Gamecube were all profitable mainly due to strong sales of first-party games and little to no hardware losses.

PortTwo said:
- FPs games are the best-selling kind of console game in the West. They are the West's Monster Hunter. We're not just talking Call of Duty, we're talking the whole range. 3DS won't be able to do FPS nearly as effectively as the Vita.
Actually, Nintendo first party games are the best selling kind of game both in the West and in the East.
PortTwo said:
Sony has a capacitive touchscreen, a best-in-breed OLED pressure-sensitive touchscreen actually. That's a big deal, but it's not obvious from the get-go that it does indeed sport that screen capability. Even the presence of the back pad might actually confuse some people. On the other hand the 3DS has a stylus, and an inferior (don't even start) resistive screen, but it's more apparent that the unit does indeed have touch screen capabilities.
I vehemently disagree with the resistive screen being inferior since the stylus offers superior accuracy. Try playing Trauma Center with your fingers.
PortTwo said:
There's nothing whatsoever on iOS that can compete with the likes of God of War PSP or Valkyria Chronicles PSP, but there's a hell of a lot on iOS that can compete with Nintendogs and Brain Training, and for far cheaper, as-is.
Nintendo's traditional IPs are much stronger than God of War and Valkyria Chronicles.

apana

SykoTech said:

It has been said before that it's not a matter of whether or not a particular game was released on a console at some point, it's all about how it works on the handheld and suits the audience. Games that can be played in short bursts and can be played easily on the go, work well on handhelds. Mario Kart, mainline 2D and 3D Mario games, and hell even Starfox 64 fit well with that.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I'm not touching these predictions with a ten foot pole because I know better than to presume to understand how the handheld market works. Everyone though the PSP was going to clean the DS' clock and we all know how that turned out. Personally I don't much care about the 3DS' 3D and the Vita is a very compelling device, but what it all comes down to is the games and I have no interest in direct console ports which I suspect will still be a major staple of the Vita's library.

MrMephistoX said:
I agree with them. 3G, always on AR due to the 3G, bite-sized apps for this and Sony certified Android devices, multi-touch without a stylus, downloadable full retail releases day one, the back touch and stunning graphics are a lot more disruptive than 3D. Take Zelda for example, great game but the 3D isn't a game changer and without it turned on the 3DS loses it's key selling point: while the 3DS is as powerful as a portable Gamecube it's no longer a disruptive device and in fact the touch capabilities of the DS have been displaced by Apple and other multi-touch devices. While neither will be a colossal failure one has more potential than the other to shake things up and I'm betting on Sony this time.
How are those things disruptive? I see a list of good features but nothing that hasn't been offered before or hasn't been possible on smartphones.

Dr_Peace said:
Yes I OBVIOUSLY mean Revelations, it's way beyond RE4 in terms of fidelity and closer to RE5. Not to mention the fact that they got RE5 assets (the Public Assembly RE5 level) to work on it.

It does look good for what it is on the platform that it's on, but it doesn't look even remotely close to RE5 like you suggested.

test_account

XP-39C²
In this visual metaphor, Sony is a police officer. The PS Vita is battering ram. Nintendo is peering through the window.
miyamoto_sneaking.jpg

uchihasasuke said:
Mario Kart wasn't as popular back then as it is now and 2D Mario (the real beast) was MIA since the SNES days at the time. the GC would have destroyed the Xbox easily with a NSMB game and put up more fight against PS2.

but in the end, if the loser of this fight scores 70 million+ like in the DS/PSP battle, i guess none of the contestants will be complaining.
The previous titles actually did quite well but keep in mind the platforms didn't have the userbase that the DS and Wii have now.

Everything is about price.

How much does it cost to get into the ecosystem (the console)? How much more do you have to spend to have a full experience within the ecosystem (games, memory cards, paid online service, paid non-gaming apps/utilities, etc)?

If you price it right, the system's library will sell itself - and that historically is Nintendo's stronghold. It never matters how much better the competitor's HW is, because the Nintendo handheld is almost disposably cheap, is completely self-contained (all you will ever need for the full experience is the unit and a game), and the library is good.

3DS simply needs to be priced right. The library will drive itself.

PS Vita is like a super-PSP...which is right up my alley, because I loved my original PSP (especially after CFW). It is priced well enough; not disposably cheap, but surprisingly affordable. If they really want to beat Nintendo, they're going to need to get it to a price point where it won't be a premium product, but a ubiqutous one.

Lesiroth

Dr_Peace said:
I'm not giving anything a pass, I'm just that RE:Revelations (which I said is similar to a console game) survives the transition to the 3DS FAR better than Uncharted does.

Uncharted Vita is going to focus more on exploration and puzzles? Prove it. The demo at E3 showed nothing more than regular Uncharted gameplay with some optional controls. Being on the Vita just makes it a weaker Uncharted game (weaker visuals, less cinematic which is the whole point) and that exploration/puzzling you say exists could easily be done on the PS3.

I can show you RE:Revelations footage that shows actual tangible IMPROVEMENTS over what RE5 was able to accomplish thanks to the 3DS hardware. Those include the 3D to augment the horror experience, more puzzle variety, better aiming and inventory management etc.

LittleBigPlanet has touch screen controls? INNOVATION!!! 2004 ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

My point is, how is the experience significantly BETTER or DIFFERENT?

I've not played Peace Walker, but obviously a cinematic Metal Gear Solid game is EXACTLY what you want on a bus. They are also porting it to the PS3 in HD, which shows just how special the game was in the first place.

The whole point of a handheld game is that it works BETTER on a handheld. You CAN port a DS Pokemon game to a console but why would you?

I find it funny that you don't realise you're in the tiny minority when you think 3D adds nothing to the experience :p

3D is great, I'm sorry you can't enjoy it. It makes the experience far more immersive and will work wonders for a horror game.

Added aliasing? I think the term you're searching for is 'anti-aliasing', and no they MOST LIKELY won't be adding such expensive rendering effects just in case someone turns the switch to 2D mode.
There's a difference between saying a game looks good and it being almost as good as RE5. I agree with the former, not the latter.

And you're trying to tell me with a straight face that the RE5->RE:R transformation is good for the game while UC->UC:GA is bad for the game. Somehow RE:R retains the graphical capabilities of the console versions of RE5, right?

You're willing to claim insignificant points like 'better aiming' towards RE:R's favor while discounting touchscreen support for LBP, a game which relies on user-created content. Ok.

And I'll just wait for Amir0x to come and say a few things about the 3D effect.

Dr_Peace said:

Quick google search gives this. LINK It will have more exploration and fewer gunfights.

And the weaker visuals complaint is a problem that will occur on the 3D as well compared to RE5, you keep giving the 3DS versions passes and assume they will be better but the Vita versions will be worse without touching these games.

Momo

Banned
Dr_Peace said:
I've not played Peace Walker, but obviously a cinematic Metal Gear Solid game is EXACTLY what you want on a bus.
You obviously have zero idea what Peace Walker is, as it was exactly tailored for bite sized pieces of gaming and had portable functions like gift boxing built in.

Vinci

Danish
plagiarize said:
How are those things disruptive? I see a list of good features but nothing that hasn't been offered before or hasn't been possible on smartphones.

I don't dink de word means what dey dink it means.

Top Bottom