• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Editorial: 3DS vs. PS Vita - Will History Repeat Itself?

apana

One thing you have to give credit to Sony for is to what lengths they are willing to go in order to support their system. They will reach out to third parties a lot, maybe even moneyhat a few things. They spend money investing heavily in first party content even though not all of it is very profitable, and they try to pack as much into the hardware as possible. I think they will put a lot of effort into Vita.

M3d10n said:
My point is that games made out of reused assets have limited potential compared to fully original games. Pilotwings does get called out a lot for lifting a significant amount of assets from Wii Sports Resort.

I'm also not saying these games are bad or inherently inferior, but they lose some of their perceived value. RE: Mercenaries 3D is a good example of this.

I'd say it's "less" of an original game, because its existence depends on having a "bigger brother" elsewhere which had a much bigger budget. But Uncharted in particular is a bad example: it's a Sony first, which are known to have much more leeway in terms of budget than 3rd parties.

I' m not sure how that matters though. Perception about a title is all in the eye of the beholder and I don't think its quality has anything to do with a larger title. I mean if AC brotherhood reused alot of assets for its depiction of Italy, how many people can tell? How many would care (it is the same setting). My point is that it seems extremely arbitrary tolabel. Mercenaries probably has a perception issue because the 3DS title is a combination of the Merc mini games in RE4 and RE5. For new title story is what separates the elements. If a story explains the setting I highly doubt people will have much complaint about any reused assets.

M3d10n said:
The use of low color depth wasn't much due to memory: the PSP could actually render faster at 16bpp. I believe the GPU clock is tied to the CPU clock, so you get faster rendering when you overclock the system.

From what I have seen the DSP does not overclock and doesn't go past 166.

plagiarize said:
there are also rumours saying Sony have halved the main ram to 256 MB which is why i listed both.

even so, it's still less of a difference. if you want to add Vram, the PSP had 4 MBs of that, I believe. which would make the DS to PSP 9 times more memory.

I hope they have more. It would be a shame to have so much power only to limit it by ram, which would no doubt rear its ugly head before the gen is over.

staticneuron said:
I hope they have more. It would be a shame to have so much power only to limit it by ram, which would no doubt rear its ugly head before the gen is over.
agreed. it's a fairly big problem this gen. if the PS3 had twice the ram, say, even if the 360 had twice the ram i think the PS3 would really show what it can do. i dread to think what the 360 would be like if Epic hadn't convinced Microsoft to double up from 256 megabytes.

Agent X

Gold Member
plagiarize said:
those games both work on the 1000 model that only has 32 MBs of RAM. another thing to bear in mind is that the DSi didn't use all of it's memory for most games either, only DSi ware, and a very small number of DSi only games used it's full memory. most DS games only use 4 MBs of ram.

at first the PSP processor was software underclocked to save battery life. some games allowed it to be used at the full 333 mhz, but every PSP was capable of running the CPU at 333 mhz though, even the 1000. i think you might be confusing that with the memory thing.

I believe it is possible for PSP games to make use of the additional RAM found in the PSP-2000/3000/Go models. I've seen reviews for BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II that indicate that it drops some frames of animation when playing multiplayer mode using a PSP-1000. This leads me to believe that the additional frames of animation are loaded into the extra RAM on the newer models.

My main gripe with the PSV is that it may try to reach out to too many different audiences, and dilute the market.

They either need to stay within the hardcore market they've developed, or they need to adopt the PS4 strategy of going for the casual gamer.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mr_Brit said:
I wonder why Sony are being so secretive in regard to the specs and the OS. We have less than 6 months till launch and we know practically nothing about the OS.
It's too early to really see the OS in action. Early PS3 OS builds had in-game XMB, and we all know what happened there. :p

yurinka

When comparing the devices and seeing what they improved from their previous generation I think this time Sony improved a lot, but Nintendo still has some key pros thay can make them win:

Vita pros
-2nd analog : Now the shooter market finally will have proper controls in a portable, new hardcore gamers will embrace it.
-Touch controls/motion sensor/cameras/GPS/etc : Now the Sony handheld won't lack any controls available in other gaming portable devices, mandatory for mobile phone gaming-like experiences. New casual gamers will embrace it.
-Price : Now the most powerful handheld device won't be the most expensive one.
-Game content : PSOne, PSP, Minis, PS Suite compatible with PS3 or Android devices, in addition to the Vita games.
-Non gaming content : movies, comics, music, etc compatible with PS3.
-Faster loading times : No UMD here.
-Better PS3 game integration : Getting cross platform HD games with almost the same quality, cross platform multiplayer, savedata, Vita games getting PS3 user generated content, etc.
-3G : web browser, multiplayer with cross game voice chat etc everywhere.
-Trohies and better integration with friends using these new social network like game related like newsfeeds.
-3rd party support : Now there isn't a big learning curve and costs for console developers unlike in PSP. All big game engines already ported really fast and some of them running full featured.
-You can't play for more than 30 minutes in a row without causing cause headaches, dizziess etc. To do it in 3DS you have to switch off its main feature and sell point.

3DS pros
-3D
-BC : Nintendo handheld legacy and retro games, some of them in 3D
-Nintendo IPs huge sellers (basically everything with Mario or Pokemon on it)
-Huge DS userbase that will look for something more

DiscoJer

apana said:
One thing you have to give credit to Sony for is to what lengths they are willing to go in order to support their system. They will reach out to third parties a lot, maybe even moneyhat a few things. They spend money investing heavily in first party content even though not all of it is very profitable, and they try to pack as much into the hardware as possible. I think they will put a lot of effort into Vita.

That wasn't the case with the PSP though, and they virtually dropped all of it when the PS3 came out.

I mean, seriously, 5 years for the promised GT game to come out, it was basically a port of GT4's Arcade mode, with a handful of new cars?

And while the God of Wars were good, they came late in the game as well (and were what, 2nd party, contracting other teams to develop it).

Not to mention all the Sony funded/published JRPGs that were left to third parties to publish, or simply not at all. White Knight Chronicles most recently. D3 picked up the PS3 version, but no one has picked up the PSP one, even though presumably there will be an UK English version (SCEE is publishing it there).

And what about Sony's sports titles? For the last few years, they've been nothing more than updates. They were gimped ports to begin with, lacking the modes of the PS2 version, and in the MLB game, even umpires. They actually removed features - originally it had online play - that's been gone the last few years.

The PSP is my all time favorite gaming device (other than PC and Atari 2600, I guess) and I will be buying a PSV as soon as I can afford one. But Sony pretty much treated it like a red headed stepchild in NA. It fared slightly better in Europe and much better in Japan. So I think people should temper their expectations...

Truth101

Banned
3DS pros
-3D

Vita pros
-You can't play for more than 30 minutes in a row without causing cause headaches, dizziess etc. To do it in 3DS you have to switch off its main feature and sell point.

What?

-3rd party support : Now there isn't a big learning curve and costs for console developers unlike in PSP. All big game engines already ported really fast and some of them running full featured.
No different than 3DS 3rd party support, arguably worse. Also will have a higher development for original titles. HD assets can be ported to the 3DS also.

-Touch controls/motion sensor/cameras/GPS/etc : Now the Sony handheld won't lack any controls available in other gaming portable devices, mandatory for mobile phone gaming-like experiences. New casual gamers will embrace it.

So, not a pro for the 3DS but it is for the Vita?

-Game content : PSOne, PSP, Minis, PS Suite compatible with PS3 or Android devices, in addition to the Vita games.

So this is a bonus for the Vita, but what about the virtual console?

-Better PS3 game integration : Getting cross platform HD games with almost the same quality, cross platform multiplayer, savedata, Vita games getting PS3 user generated content, etc.

This is going to basically amount to ports.

-2nd analog : Now the shooter market finally will have proper controls in a portable, new hardcore gamers will embrace it.

You say that as if dudebro gamers will embrace a hand-held.

-Non gaming content : movies, comics, music, etc compatible with PS3.

Last time i checked I'll be able to watch Netflix on my 3DS soon, same as on the Wii.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
yurinka said:
JFuOz.png

havent updated it since goddess vita was first shown off early this year but if i did... LOL LOL

edit: Click here when you read the PSP2 aka VITA's pro' in my list

NEO0MJ

Truth101 said:

Pretty sure they'll be excited for it at first, after all:

"finally a real handheld for the hardcore!"

But they'll drop it within a year or two.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
I actually believe that there's room for both handheld but, once again, it depends on "word of mouth" and the titles on the platform.

Boney

Banned
Serenade said:
http://i.imgur.com/JFuOz.png[img]

havent updated it since goddess vita was first shown off early this year but if i did... LOL LOL

edit:[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJ3_PpUKUk"] Click here when you read the PSP2 aka VITA's pro' in my list[/URL][/QUOTE]
hey man that's not funny

[spoiler]people died[/spoiler]

yencid

AnnSwag said:
I actually believe that there's room for both handheld but, once again, it depends on "word of mouth" and the titles on the platform.
not on Gaf there isnt. They need a clear winner and loser.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
M3d10n said:
Not in 3D, but when you turn the 3D off in SSFIV (using the slider, not the options menu) the game enables an almost bullshot-level 2X FSAA at 30fps. It has been reported that RE:Mercenaries and RE:Revelations work the same way.
I knew it! Why it wasn't reported anywhere, though?

Xiaoki

Truth101 said:
No different than 3DS 3rd party support, arguably worse.
You could also argue that the sky is red with green polka dots. Wont win either argument however.

Truth101 said:
This is going to basically amount to ports.
Super Street Fighter 4 3D is a port(a downgraded port)
Street Fighter x Tekken Vita is multi platform

But, hey, whatever you need to tell yourself to rationalize away the Vita is up to you.

Terrell

NEO0MJ said:
Pretty sure they'll be excited for it at first, after all:

"finally a real handheld for the hardcore!"

But they'll drop it within a year or two.
Ummm... people said the EXACT SAME THING about the PSP.

Oh wait, lemme guess...

thatsthejoke.jpg, amirite?

plainr_

Truth101 said:

There has never been a proper dudebro shooter for a hand-held so we don't know how successful this will be. Could be a hit or not.

Top Bottom