• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Editorial: 3DS vs. PS Vita - Will History Repeat Itself?

btkadams

KAL2006 said:
This 3DS vs Vita is great, fierce competition means both companies are going to work harder to impress us. I personally will buy both systems, Vita at launch as I am looking for a decent media player (don't have a smartphone) that can play videos (on that sexy big OLED), browse webs and have apps like BBC Player (Sony better deliver those things). So me really needing a media player automatically makes Vita viable for me, I also am hyped for Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, SFxT and Hot Shots. I will buy a 3DS when the revision comes out as Vita should do me as well as my consoles for gaming, I must get a 3DS like every Nintendo system as I have to play the Nintendo franchises like Mario, however I am patient and will wait for a revision, hopefully by then 3DS costs lesss and the games I want go down in price.
this is me as well. except i must get a 3ds like every nintendo handheld because of pokemon haha. i'm stoked that the pressure is on. it definitely made 360/ps3 better systems this gen.

ghibli99

Yep, I'm of the opinion that I want both to sell tons. Better for us as consumers. Wanting one side to win and the other to fail is a flawed outlook, unless you work for Sony, Nintendo, or a developer that only creates games for one and not the other.

Jokeropia said:
The difference is that CoD is comparatively unproven on handhelds and only compete with the top Nintendo games if you combine all platforms. How large percentage of CoD sales do you think will go to Vita?

I find it interesting that so much (though by no means all) of the optimism here regarding Vita's performance relative to PSP hinges on two closely related assertions:

1. That Vita having dual analogs will vastly expand the audience for console-style games beyond what existed on PSP.
2. That a significant percentage of the dudebro crowd will eagerly embrace dedicated handheld gaming once the right hardware platform and software are there.

I'm not going to say just yet that either of these points is necessarily false. But they're both a long, long way from proven.

Suzzopher

ghibli99 said:
Yep, I'm of the opinion that I want both to sell tons. Better for us as consumers. Wanting one side to win and the other to fail is a flawed outlook, unless you work for Sony, Nintendo, or a developer that only creates games for one and not the other.

100% this.

bummyhead

I never cared much for the PSP, very little about it interested me. I don't remember what I thought of it back when it was announced, but I do vaguely recall threads very similar to this one on GAF back then, and (stupid) articles very similar to the one IGN just did also.

I seem to recall that I initially was a bit worried that the PSP might be serious trouble for Nintendo. I soon learned that Nintendo knew what it was doing.

But I honestly pretty much never played with a PSP.

Today however I was doing some window shopping and I came across a PSP display. It was rigged up to an external screen, and I have to say, the graphics sucked. Seriously, it is not anywhere near on a PS2 level, and PS2 didn't look so hot next to GC and Xbox in the first place. The graphics were not particularly high poly, and were strangely dithered. I know this is old news to most of you, but I honestly though the PSP wiped the floor with DS graphics wise. Aside from resolution the difference between DS and PSP, though noticeable for sure, the difference is not nearly as dramatic as I would have imagined. Also, I think over time, developers made far better use of the DS hardware than they ever did of the PSPs hardware.

NOW, what about 3DS versus Vita?

Honestly, I think we have a repeat on our hands, with a couple of caveats.

At it's core we have the same kind of battle going on. Nintendo offering something new, while Sony offers something very powerful, that copies everything that the competition invented. This is all Sony has ever done, and all Sony will ever do. On the other hand, look at all the things Nintendo pioneered in gaming: dpads, analog thumb sticks, touch control, motion control, and now, glasses free 3D.

Also I think the graphics battle is actually less important this time around. Yes the Vita trounces the 3DS when it comes to graphics, but even though the actual difference is greater, the percieved difference may be less. 3DS has graphics every bit as good as Wii, and most people are totally satisfied with that level of performance, especially on a small screen.

I think the PSP Vita is very cool, very slick looking, and I am jealous of all that screen resolution. But do I think it is the better handheld than the 3DS?

No. It is gonna run into the same problems the PSP did.

1.) It is going to be very expensive to develop for. There's no getting around this, if you make a handheld with PS3 level graphics, expect PS3 level budgets. So we're either gonna see direct ports of PS3 games, or else corners will be cut elsewhere. This is gonna be great for people who don't own consoles and are strictly portable gamers, but I have a suspicion that most people in that group are already firmly in the Nintendo camp. We shall see.

2.) It's not kid friendly. Honestly, it looks a bit fragile, and I don't think parents are gonna be too keen on buying it for kids. Like it or not, kids are the primary market for handheld games in North America, and it's likely to stay that way, especially with the rise of casual gaming devices like the iPhone etc. Probably the reason why the PSP did better in Japan than here, and I expect the same will happen with Vita.

3.) I think the 3DS will remain the more attractive platform for developers. Developments costs will be less, and that makes a big difference.

That being said, Nintendo has made some major blunders with the 3DS which will likely make it less of a blowout this time around in the match against Vita.

Firstly, the Launch was bungled. Big time. I wanted the system when I first heard about it, but it has now been out for several months, and only yesterday did a game come out that I had the slightest interest in. Sadly, even E3 left a lot to be desired for the 3DS. Oddly, I don't remember much about the DS launch, but thinking back to GBA I remember seeing a tonne of games in the pipe that made me drool, like Golden Sun, etc. 3DS is looking up, but it's still looking lean.

Secondly they failed to differentiate the 3DS from the DSi. Never underestimate how fucking retarded people are. I was in Future Shop today and it's far from obvious that the 3DS is a new system, it's just jumbled in with all the old DSi stuff, and it's the same story in every store I have been into.

Nintendo should have required retailers to immediately downgrade DSi displays and give prominence to 3DS. They also should have a friggin demo unit in every store. Not a single store I have been in has a demo unit, it's unreal. This is a system that will be sold by people seeing the actual thing for themselves.

And finally, the messed up the price. Pure greed here. $199 and the would have had them flying off the shelves. $249 makes people think twice, and doubly so considering the lack of system selling games so far.

neutralgamer02 said:
When it comes to the Vita, I have no clue what to expect. I think it will do fine in Japan as the PSP has, and will be the one market that it may beat out the 3DS if things go right for it. The question is whether it can find a market in the west. I just don't know.

I actually prefer handheld gaming to console gaming. I got a gb pocket, gba, gbasp, and a psp. Will I be getting either handheld? At first, I thought no, I will just stick to gaming on my smartphone; showing just how much smartphones have changed things. Then with the shockingly low price of the vita, I thought I had to get one just based on the value. I don't know if it will do well here, but I will take a chance. I hope I wont be disappointed as I was with the psp, and luckily it seems that sony are correcting the mistakes that made psp this time around for the vita. Well shall see.
Japan may be moving toward handheld gaming anyway, so Japan is probably more important (for portables) as far as Nintendo and Sony are concerned.

By making it relatively simple to bring PS3 games to Vita and Vita games to PS3, Sony might be trying to bridge East and West. Western devs might be able to make more inroads into the Japanese market with Vita and Japanese devs might end up putting more games on PS3.

Vita probably only really needs to succeed in Japan and everywhere else is icing.

mclem

Amir0x said:
I definitely think it'll be closer than last gen, but I think Nintendo will still pull it out by a substantial margin.

I'm with you on this. One of the PSP's big early issues was the price disparity, but that's not an issue with the Vita (a brave move of Sony's, and I hope it pays off for them); with the eradication of that one, I really don't see the Vita doing worse (than the equivalent PSP era) early on.

I think whether Nintendo pulls it out is going to be dependent on third parties, though. There's a lot to tempt them towards the Vita, and a few aggressive exclusivity deals on Sony's part would put them in a strong position - They *have* to be courting Capcom right now for Monster Hunter - but I'm not sure they're in a position right now to go for an original Xbox approach of throwing money at *everything* to get the deals they need.

It was a bit distressing at E3 that we didn't see much of third parties on *either* system - unless I missed them. Are they hedging their bets, or is it just that there may be a better choice for where to show off handheld content than a US trade show?

Father_Brain said:
I find it interesting that so much (though by no means all) of the optimism here regarding Vita's performance relative to PSP hinges on two closely related assertions:

1. That Vita having dual analogs will vastly expand the audience for console-style games beyond what existed on PSP.
2. That a significant percentage of the dudebro crowd will eagerly embrace dedicated handheld gaming once the right hardware platform and software are there.

I'm not going to say just yet that either of these points is necessarily false. But they're both a long, long way from proven.
It goes back to the point of why 3DS is having such a hard time right now, it's not that its available games are horrible but more that the good games it has can be played better elsewhere. CoD might do really well on Vita but it's unlikely that it will be a system seller unless Vita makes it the better way to play the game like the PSP made Monster Hunter the better way to play the game in Japan.

I would imagine that a big part of the reason Nintendo is so hesitant to bring a real Pokemon game to one of their home consoles is that the game is their main handheld driver and they don't want people to get it into their heads that the best way to play those games is on a home console.

Fusebox

Banned
I'll just buy both handhelds again. Nintendo for the quirky shit, Sony for the big stuff. Can't lose with both of them.

damisa

mclem said:
It was a bit distressing at E3 that we didn't see much of third parties on *either* system - unless I missed them. Are they hedging their bets, or is it just that there may be a better choice for where to show off handheld content than a US trade show?

Western developers don't care about handhelds. They'll get inferior ports of console games at best.

Skilletor

Fusebox said:
I'll just buy both handhelds again. Nintendo for the quirky shit, Sony for the big stuff. Can't lose with both of them.

This is why competition is good. The Vita shows me that Sony learned a lot with the PSP and its failures/successes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
bummyhead said:
1.) It is going to be very expensive to develop for. There's no getting around this, if you make a handheld with PS3 level graphics, expect PS3 level budgets. So we're either gonna see direct ports of PS3 games, or else corners will be cut elsewhere. This is gonna be great for people who don't own consoles and are strictly portable gamers, but I have a suspicion that most people in that group are already firmly in the Nintendo camp. We shall see.
Actually, it's not expensive to dev for the Vita. It's closer to PSP budgets than PS3 budgets.
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5993/sony-ngp-dev-budgets-close-to-psp

bummyhead said:
3.) I think the 3DS will remain the more attractive platform for developers. Developments costs will be less, and that makes a big difference.
Nope, 3DS budgets are closer to Wii budgets.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31664/Marvelous_3DS_Budgets_Much_Higher_Than_DS.php

So to highlight:

Japan Dev Costs (estimates made by Japanese publisher Marvelous Entertainment, Nov 2010)
DS Development: ~$53k-527k
3DS Development: ~$840k-1.8m
Wii Development: ~$24k-1.4m
Xbox 360 Development: ~$36k-2.5m
PS3 Development: ~$75k-3m

Development costs at the beginning of a platform's lifecycle are generally much higher than later in it, once developers have become adept at maximizing the platform and its tools. (Gamasutra)

seady

The reason the DS was successful because it was cheap to develop for. Many games on it were SNES-N64 level graphics.

The PSP on the other hand were much more expensive with PS2 level graphics so it didn't get a lot of support from 3rd party.

Now, the 3DS is taking the PSP's seat on the middleground. Vita on the other go for the super power route with PS3 graphics and aim for console port.

The timing this time is much better as the PS3 still has a lot of life left (the PS2 was almost dead when PSP came out so it didn't get any benefit out of the 'port' formula).

Basically, you win by going to super cheap route (SNES-N64 graphics) for cheap and quick development, or super expensive route (PS3 graphics) for ports and cross-play. If you are stuck in the middle with PS2/Wii graphics, no one will bother to make games (or ability to port games) for you.

bummyhead said:
Today however I was doing some window shopping and I came across a PSP display. It was rigged up to an external screen, and I have to say, the graphics sucked. Seriously, it is not anywhere near on a PS2 level, and PS2 didn't look so hot next to GC and Xbox in the first place. The graphics were not particularly high poly, and were strangely dithered. I know this is old news to most of you, but I honestly though the PSP wiped the floor with DS graphics wise. Aside from resolution the difference between DS and PSP, though noticeable for sure, the difference is not nearly as dramatic as I would have imagined. Also, I think over time, developers made far better use of the DS hardware than they ever did of the PSPs hardware.
I'm no PSP fanboy or anything, but really? I don't know what game you were playing or how big this external screen was, but the differences are still very clear between the DS and PSP. There are plenty of games that made great use of the PSP hardware, not all of them 3D. Patapon, Loco Roco, the God of War games, etc. Sure there are bad looking games for the system, but there are just as many for the DS.

KAL2006

Banned
Father_Brain said:

The good thing about Vita, is that any type of game can be made for it

1. Dual Analogs allows shooters to be made for the system, yes shooters haven't been proven to be a huge success on handhelds, however no one knows if it can be big because we have never had a handheld system with dual analogs before. Shooters being the most popular genre on consoles right now, and Vita being able to support those type of games can be a huge deal, but again this hasn't been proven, only time will tell if shooters will have the same success on handhelds as they do on consoles.

2. Touchscreeen, yes this is nothing new as iPhone and DS has done this countless of times, but this is new for Sony. The PSP was lacking a touchscreen and this made many games impossible on the PSP. Now that Vita has a touchscreen, we could potentially get game slike Layton, Nintendogs and Brain Age on Vita which is a big plus for Sony.

3. Connectivity features, iPhone has shown digital downloads are highly popular and Vita is doing this with PS Suite as well as all Vita games having games released digitally from day 1. The implementation of PSN is also a major plus, many current PS3 owners may be more tempted to get a Vita as they can use their PSN ID to continue to have access to friends and trophies. Cross Platform play is another great feature, being able to play the PS3 community with a Vita version of a game is a huge plus, it expands the community of online games instead of separating communities, I find it appealing that I could potentially play my same PS3 friends with the Vita version of Street Fighter, and have the same rankings. The Near feature is also quite cool by being able to not only send messages and play online against the world but people from various areas, such as my own town, this makes things more personal. Finally the LiveArea feature is cool, but I don't want to explain the feature as this paragraph is starting to get large.

4. Screen/graphics, yes this doesn't have the 3D affect of 3DS, but if you hear impressions at E3m you would have heard the positive impressions on the beautiful OLED screen. Not only because it's OLED, but it is high res and quite large (5"), which makes the incredible graphics of Vita games stand out. I would rather play a game like Uncharted, Resident Evil, Need for Speed, COD and etc on that OLED screen, instead of 3DS's small 3.5 inch low res 3D screen.

I think these 4 features are huge advantages for Vita, things like cameras, gyro, backtouch are nice but they are not big features that consumers would care about, the above 4 features are the big bullet points for Vita.

bummyhead

chubigans said:
Actually, it's not expensive to dev for the Vita. It's closer to PSP budgets than PS3 budgets.

Nope, 3DS budgets are closer to Wii budgets.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31664/Marvelous_3DS_Budgets_Much_Higher_Than_DS.php

So to highlight:

I call bullshit on Sony. I suppose you could make a Vita game on a PSP budget, if it's a port. But there is no way you can make a PS3 level game from scratch, with PS3 level production quality on a PSP budget. Simply not possible, and I don't care how Sony spins it.

Nintendo is being honest about 3DS production costs. Sony is not. It's very easy to see.

3DS offers performance similar to Wii, and it costs about the same to develop for? Really? AMAZING!

Vita offers performance similar to PS3 but is costs as much to develop for as a handheld that was less capable than PS2?

Give me a break. That's taking all kinds of liberties with the truth.

chubigans said:

Well, that's certainly the case if you aren't targeting a significantly higher graphical standard than PSP (Sound Shapes, Reality Fighters). It might also be the case for games that make heavy reuse of PS3 assets (Uncharted).

If you actually take that quote at face value, though, you're arguing that Vita - unlike literally every other new platform ever - will not require higher average dev costs in order to achieve a higher average graphical standard. That's nonsense, frankly.

As with most handhelds, there will certainly be a wide range of budgets on Vita. But an original, HD-console-style graphical showcase for Vita is not going to magically cost vastly less to develop than its hypothetical PS3 counterpart.

KAL2006

Banned
bummyhead said:
I call bullshit on Sony. I suppose you could make a Vita game on a PSP budget, if it's a port. But there is no way you can make a PS3 level game from scratch, with PS3 level production quality on a PSP budget. Simply not possible, and I don't care how Sony spins it.

Nintendo is being honest about 3DS production costs. Sony is not. It's very easy to see.

3DS offers performance similar to Wii, and it costs about the same to develop for? Really? AMAZING!

Vita offers performance similar to PS3 but is costs as much to develop for as a handheld that was less capable than PS2?

Vita budget is up to the developers, I have heard the Vita devkits themselves are much easiet to set up and use in comparison to PSP and PS3. Also the Vita architecture is familiar to developers who have already developed for iPhone, Android, PC, 360 and PS3. Many popular middleware engines have already been ported to Vita. Also it is up to the developer of what kind of budget they want to put into a game, they can make something as big as Uncharted, or they can make something small like Sound Shapes and Super Stardust. Or they can make something thats in the middle like Hotshots Golf, Dragons Crown, Ruin and Modnation Racers.

bummyhead

Father_Brain said:
Well, that's certainly the case if you aren't targeting a significantly higher graphical standard than PSP (Sound Shapes, Reality Fighters). It might also be the case for games that make heavy reuse of PS3 assets (Uncharted).

If you actually take that quote at face value, though, you're arguing that Vita - unlike literally every other new platform ever - will not require higher average dev costs in order to achieve a higher average graphical standard. That's nonsense, frankly.

As with most handhelds, there will certainly be a wide range of budgets on Vita. But an original, HD-console-style graphical showcase for Vita is not going to magically cost vastly less to develop than its hypothetical PS3 counterpart.

What he said.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
bummyhead said:

...are you kidding me? We're now in the fifth year of PS3 development. Costs for developing a PS3 game, like all other costs for a console/handheld over a long period of time, have decreased dramatically.

The Vita was built with the intentions of carrying over all of that development cost made for the PS3 over to the Vita. You don't have to start from the ground up with the Vita, you can use the tools that devs are already very familiar with and build from there. Hence why game budgets aren't as expensive as PS3. One title was even ported over from the PS3 to the Vita in a week.

The 3DS is the complete opposite. You can't easily port a Wii game over to the 3DS, obviously, and dev costs will be higher until devs get a better hold on the system.

Now, while I think the occasional handheld title like Uncharted or the next God of War will be very expensive to make on the Vita, approaching PS3 budgets, the cost by and large will be paired down because most devs wouldn't make a high budget Vita game to begin with. That'll always be Sony first party stuff.

seady said:
The PSP on the other hand were much more expensive with PS2 level graphics so it didn't get a lot of support from 3rd party.

I really wish people would stop saying this. The PSP is not PS2 level graphics. Ever. The console never had enough ram. It was close to it but couldn't hit the mark. For most of its life it had been underclocked as well, seemingly to help out with battery life.

The cost also couldn't have been much of an issue because of the restrictions on ram and total space. No matter what, people say there is no real merit in claiming that the PSP was close to PS2 development cost or length of time to develop.

chubigans said:
...are you kidding me? We're now in the fifth year of PS3 development. Costs for developing a PS3 game, like all other costs for a console/handheld over a long period of time, have decreased dramatically.

The Vita was built with the intentions of carrying over all of that development cost made for the PS3 over to the Vita. You don't have to start from the ground up with the Vita, you can use the tools that devs are already very familiar with and build from there. Hence why game budgets aren't as expensive as PS3. One title was even ported over from the PS3 to the Vita in a week.

The 3DS is the complete opposite. You can't easily port a Wii game over to the 3DS, obviously, and dev costs will be higher until devs get a better hold on the system.

Now, while I think the occasional handheld title like Uncharted or the next God of War will be very expensive to make on the Vita, approaching PS3 budgets, the cost by and large will be paired down because most devs wouldn't make a high budget Vita game to begin with. That'll always be Sony first party stuff.

I am surprised people couldn't see this as soon as the devs started talking.

chubigans said:

Lego Pirates of The Caribbean is a port.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/02/lego-video-game-developers-build-first-wii-to-3ds-port/

"While presenting the portable game, Ricks mentioned the team used the assets from the Wii version for the Nintendo 3DS release. Ricks commented that the Nintendo 3DS has roughly the same power as a Wii and said lighting is actually better on the 3DS."

Pilotwings also clearly uses (in some ways upgraded) assets from Wii Sports Resort.

chubigans said:

Plus UE3, CryEngine, PhysRes, and other MW engines. I bet Bioshock Vita will reuse a lot of assets from 1, 2, and Infinite off the PS3. But then again I can choose to believe a random Gaffer over a Sony exec. Actually if it was Tretton who had said that I would be a little inclined to do so.

mclem

damisa said:
Western developers don't care about handhelds. They'll get inferior ports of console games at best.

That was my train of thought, but it's not just Western devs at E3. I'm wondering if the devs who *would* be working on handheld stuff felt that E3 was too home system-centric to be worth making a big push there; a bit of a "When in Rome..." mentality.

I think that's a misconception.

Developers HAVEN'T cared about the handheld systems because the software sales haven't been there.

The PSP DID change that though, but in the west it couldn't maintain it sales because the software coming out wasn't rising in par.

Where teams should have been getting much more out of the PSP, the sales weren't high enough to warrant extra development.

The highest score for Madden on PSP (gamerankings) was an 80 for Madden 07... That is the 2nd iteration...

You simply have to bring more to the table, and a revolving cycle. The less games sell, the less the work was put into new games, the less games sold, ultimately to the point where less games were made.

Explain how most multiplatform titles on PS3 and 360 have nearly the same scores, yet the PSP versions are usually significantly behind them... That explains the reason why PSP suffored with "console" port mentality. It's not that people don't want a console experience on the handheld, rather they weren't even getting it.

I also feel like a lot of Japanese companies played politics with Nintendo on the Wii/DS, I really don't think these companies are in the position to continue this.

galian beast said:
I think that's a misconception.

Developers HAVEN'T cared about the handheld systems because the software sales haven't been there.

The PSP DID change that though, but in the west it couldn't maintain it sales because the software coming out wasn't rising in par.

Explain how most multiplatform titles on PS3 and 360 have nearly the same scores, yet the PSP versions are usually significantly behind them... That explains the reason why PSP suffored with "console" port mentality. It's not that people don't want a console experience on the handheld, rather they weren't even getting it.

The issue is that the library is fine. People who ape the PSP library seem to be ignorant of the titles on the console and the capabilities. That is the issue stateside. The gaming media/community created a label and were content on letting that label stay despite the decent library the PSP has the average gamer does not know about it because misconceptions rule the day.

The nature of consumption in the west seems to be based on perception and popularity (odd how that works) and once the masses are set on a direction, people tend to follow the buzz. The best thing for Vita right now would be praise for the start of its life, if it fails to impress, it may be stuck in the same trap that the PSP is in.

M3d10n

staticneuron said:
DSi: 16MB
PSP: 64MB
3DS: 128MB

Your math is off. The 3DS has twice as much ram as the PSP2000+ and the PSP 2000+ has Four times as much ram as the DSi.
The PSP has only 32MBs available for games. The extra 32MBs added to the 2000+ models were used exclusively by firmware to cache UMD data and for applications like Skype and the browser. Every single PSN PSP game is playable on the 1000 models as well.

AranhaHunter said:
Plus UE3, CryEngine, PhysRes, and other MW engines. I bet Bioshock Vita will reuse a lot of assets from 1, 2, and Infinite off the PS3. But then again I can choose to believe a random Gaffer over a Sony exec. Actually if it was Tretton who had said that I would be a little inclined to do so.
It doesn't change the point. An original Vita UE3/CryEngine/PhysRes game costs as much to make than a UE3/CryEngine/PhysRes.

Yes, devs can re-use assets, but then it isn't an "original" game anymore, is it? It's either a port or a spinoff/expansion. And the 3DS has those too, thanks to Capcom. However, these kind of games cannot drive a console, because they depend on the existence of a superior version elsewhere.

M3d10n

Lonely1 said:
Pica200 isn't great in the AA department. :/
Not in 3D, but when you turn the 3D off in SSFIV (using the slider, not the options menu) the game enables an almost bullshot-level 2X FSAA at 30fps. It has been reported that RE:Mercenaries and RE:Revelations work the same way.

M3d10n said:
Not in 3D, but when you turn the 3D off in SSFIV (using the slider, not the options menu) the game enables an almost bullshot-level 2X FSAA at 30fps. It has been reported that RE:Mercenaries and RE:Revelations work the same way.
the AA in 2D on Ocarina of Time is also rather nice. i'm not sure what level of AA it is, but it looks good.

ShineALight said:
Lego Pirates of The Caribbean is a port.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/02/lego-video-game-developers-build-first-wii-to-3ds-port/

"While presenting the portable game, Ricks mentioned the team used the assets from the Wii version for the Nintendo 3DS release. Ricks commented that the Nintendo 3DS has roughly the same power as a Wii and said lighting is actually better on the 3DS."

Pilotwings also clearly uses (in some ways upgraded) assets from Wii Sports Resort.

End point.

Now you'll see the goal posts shifting again.

galian beast said:
It did? I was under the impression that PSP attach rates were comparable to GBA, while DS was the handheld that broke the barrier with a console like attach rate?

In Japan, Wii's sold more software than PSP ltd too, despite having a good 30-40% smaller userbase.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
seady said:
The reason the DS was successful because it was cheap to develop for. Many games on it were SNES-N64 level graphics.

Okay, this is a general comment not specifically aimed at you seady, but I see many posts start out like this in every business-related discussion.

Why do some of you guys always reduce the name of the game to one single all-encompassing factor? What kind of simple mind can come up with such a simplistic reasoning? We're not trying to explain why the neighbor's kid stole your child's lollipop for God's sake, we're talking about business. You know, this little thing that involves tons of people, tons of money, tons of time, tons of thinking and planning... How can one be so dense that they even begin to think that one factor decides the entire fate of products, companies, or worse, entire markets?

Heck, if you're gonna be that simplistic, at least choose the most important, most consistent factor in the video games industry: games. Both in quantity and quality. And yes, I know your argument is related to games, but then you either don't realize it or poorly made your point... And the fact remains that your view is too simplistic.

onQ123

bummyhead said:

so what about all the people that are making games for ipad,iphone & android that look better than DS games? does that mean it cost them more to make the games on ipad,iphone & android than the dev teams that made games for the DS?

M3d10n said:
The PSP has only 32MBs available for games. The extra 32MBs added to the 2000+ models were used exclusively by firmware to cache UMD data and for applications like Skype and the browser. Every single PSN PSP game is playable on the 1000 models as well.

I know the internal Flash ROM was used exclusively for the system software but do you have info on the ram being used exclusively for sytem software. Even with LCD in mind, I do know games like Chains of Olympus and birth by sleep took advantage of extra ram and processing power. So it doesn't seem like what you are saying is entirely true.

M3d10n said:
It doesn't change the point. An original Vita UE3/CryEngine/PhysRes game costs as much to make than a UE3/CryEngine/PhysRes.

Yes, devs can re-use assets, but then it isn't an "original" game anymore, is it? It's either a port or a spinoff/expansion. And the 3DS has those too, thanks to Capcom. However, these kind of games cannot drive a console, because they depend on the existence of a superior version elsewhere.

Well

Just because you reuse assets doesn't mean that the story or the setting "must" be the same. It could be similar but not necessarily the same. Things such as textures of walls, models of trees and buildings could be re used and altered to create a different setting. Not "all" assets have to be reused and not "all" assets are unique.

M3d10n said:

Of course it is, Uncharted GA is re-using a lot of assets and animations from Uncharted, are you implying that's not an original game?

EDIT: Also MW solutions allow developers to create games on a tighter budget. UE3 gets a lot of criticism, but it has allowed devs to create create experiences using it. It's cheaper than having to develop a new engine from scratch.

staticneuron said:
I know the internal Flash ROM was used exclusively for the system software but do you have info on the ram being used exclusively for sytem software. Even with LCD in mind, I do know games like Chains of Olympus and birth by sleep took advantage of extra ram and processing power. So it doesn't seem like what you are saying is entirely true.
those games both work on the 1000 model that only has 32 MBs of RAM. another thing to bear in mind is that the DSi didn't use all of it's memory for most games either, only DSi ware, and a very small number of DSi only games used it's full memory. most DS games only use 4 MBs of ram.

at first the PSP processor was software underclocked to save battery life. some games allowed it to be used at the full 333 mhz, but every PSP was capable of running the CPU at 333 mhz though, even the 1000. i think you might be confusing that with the memory thing.

so, really the PSP had eight times the RAM of the DS, and the 3DS has four times the RAM of the PSP.

the vita is rumoured to have either 256 MB, or 512 MBs of ram, so either a two times, or four times increase over the 3DS. less of an increase in other words than DS to PSP.

onQ123

plagiarize said:
those games both work on the 1000 model that only has 32 MBs of RAM. another thing to bear in mind is that the DSi didn't use all of it's memory for most games either, only DSi ware, and a very small number of DSi only games used it's full memory. most DS games only use 4 MBs of ram.

at first the PSP processor was software underclocked to save battery life. some games allowed it to be used at the full 333 mhz, but every PSP was capable of running the CPU at 333 mhz though, even the 1000. i think you might be confusing that with the memory thing.

so, really the PSP had eight times the RAM of the DS, and the 3DS has four times the RAM of the PSP.

the vita is rumoured to have either 256 MB, or 512 MBs of ram, so either a two times, or four times increase over the 3DS. less of an increase in other words than DS to PSP.

Vita is rumored to have 512MB Main Ram + 128MB Vram that's 640MB of ram which is 5X the ram of the 3DS

plagiarize said:

But of course. Things such as particles and model complexity is benefited from the extra speed, but thing such as increased color depth is normally memory intensive which means that the games most likely take advantage of both the increased clock and the added ram. I did say "take advantage" of because they are toggable switches in the options menu (ALF Birth by sleep).

I don't own a DSi but I find it hard to believe that the games never took advantage of extra ram. I don't understand why devs wouldn't be given that option.

EDIT: Nothing shows how much the PSP lacked in comparison to the PS2 than KH BBS. Barren environments the simple textures, the PSP was really more of an uber PS1 than a a device that should be directly compared to PS2.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Sounds like fanboy talk :p

Worried to see more competition and better games? Or at least a different set of games for some good HW.

meh, Nintendo didn't give a shit about competition with the DS so yes, I'd have been worried about not getting all the awesome sauce we got because of DS' huge success

M3d10n

staticneuron said:
Just because you reuse assets doesn't mean that the story or the setting "must" be the same. It could be similar but not necessarily the same. Things such as textures of walls, models of trees and buildings could be re used and altered to create a different setting. Not "all" assets have to be reused and not "all" assets are unique.
My point is that games made out of reused assets have limited potential compared to fully original games. Pilotwings does get called out a lot for lifting a significant amount of assets from Wii Sports Resort.

I'm also not saying these games are bad or inherently inferior, but they lose some of their perceived value. RE: Mercenaries 3D is a good example of this.

AranhaHunter said:
Of course it is, Uncharted GA is re-using a lot of assets and animations from Uncharted, are you implying that's not an original game?

EDIT: Also MW solutions allow developers to create games on a tighter budget. UE3 gets a lot of criticism, but it has allowed devs to create create experiences using it. It's cheaper than having to develop a new engine from scratch.
I'd say it's "less" of an original game, because its existence depends on having a "bigger brother" elsewhere which had a much bigger budget. But Uncharted in particular is a bad example: it's a Sony first, which are known to have much more leeway in terms of budget than 3rd parties.

You have a point on the engine side: outside from Capcom, nobody has console-grade engines running on the 3DS. However, this only applies to trying to bring console devs into the handheld. PSP and DS developers can easily port their engines over to the 3DS and remain low cost as well.

staticneuron said:
But of course. Things such as particles and model complexity is benefited from the extra speed, but thing such as increased color depth is normally memory intensive which means that the games most likely take advantage of both the increased clock and the added ram. I did say "take advantage" of because they are toggable switches in the options menu (ALF Birth by sleep).
The use of low color depth wasn't much due to memory: the PSP could actually render faster at 16bpp. I believe the GPU clock is tied to the CPU clock, so you get faster rendering when you overclock the system.

staticneuron said:
I don't own a DSi but I find it hard to believe that the games never took advantage of extra ram. I don't understand why devs wouldn't be given that option.
I believe devs can use the extra RAM, but I'm unsure which games actually do it. But all DSiWare games that have download-and-play functionality work on standard DS units without any visual difference (including Paperfield, which boasts it's technical achievements).

onQ123 said:
Vita is rumored to have 512MB Main Ram + 128MB Vram that's 640MB of ram which is 5X the ram of the 3DS
there are also rumours saying Sony have halved the main ram to 256 MB which is why i listed both.

even so, it's still less of a difference. if you want to add Vram, the PSP had 4 MBs of that, I believe. which would make the DS to PSP 9 times more memory.

M3d10n

plagiarize said:
there are also rumours saying Sony have halved the main ram to 256 MB which is why i listed both.

even so, it's still less of a difference. if you want to add Vram, the PSP had 4 MBs of that, I believe. which would make the DS to PSP 9 times more memory.
I think it never had more than 512MBs of RAM. Sony's GDC slides said it was more RAM than the PSP and "close to" the RAM in the PS3.

If it was 512+128, they would have said "more than" instead of "close to". I believe 256MB+128MB is the most logical amount.

Mr_Brit

Banned
plagiarize said:

Apparently according to Nirolak a trusty source has confirmed that it has 512mb of RAM.

Mr_Brit

Banned
plagiarize said:
hopefully Sony will confirm soon.
I wonder why Sony are being so secretive in regard to the specs and the OS. We have less than 6 months till launch and we know practically nothing about the OS.

Top Bottom