• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Final Fantasy XV Director Discusses What's Next (FFXV DLC; His Next Project)

Ferr986

I don't know why people keep saying "I hope Tabata doesn't do XVI". Isn't already confirmed his team is working on a new IP, not XVI?

Ydelnae

I don't know why people keep saying "I hope Tabata doesn't do XVI". Isn't already confirmed his team is working on a new IP, not XVI?

They can still pull a Kojima with his "Project Ogre is a new IP, absolutely not MGSV" misleading, but I would not count on it.

Ferr986

YES. PLEASE.

What a wasted opportunity to not have expanded on that early on. That could have added dozens more hours to the game

I mean, I understand why they didnt want to do it with the base game, it would make the game too long and kill the pacing. But it's the perfect setting for a big DLC (more close to the old "expansions"), considering they can reuse a lot of assets too.

Damn they will never let this go, lol.

Just make a back to the roots Final Fantasy game with awesome graphics. Quit the open world bullshit. Quit obscure battle systems. Just give me a story full of drama and cool characters again with a turn- or atb-based battle system.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Tabata saved a lot of things with this game. It was a thorough 7/10 experience for me and I'm grateful for much of the time I spent with it. But I want at least a semi-cohesive narrative next time around...

Athreous

D'you think Ito would take it back there? Medieval isn't a hard sell, but the art style akin to IX is a bit more polarising. Not saying I wouldn't be hyped for it.

Oh sure, Tabata should focus in something new, XVI with a new director with fresh ideas would be better imo! Just let tabata deal with FFXV stuff

Alastor3

How are the DLC story characters for this game? I heard they have totally different style of gameplay. Is the story good?

Toth

I like FFXV, I like Tabata, I am glad they have continued to make the game better, but I don't want two mainline games in a row from his team. It's Ito's time to shine again!

Agreed. I would like to see an original IP RPG from then next. MAYBE Type-0's sequel if he can get the story right this time....yeah....

Kuni

Well good luck to him and the team, clearly they went through a lot with FFXV.

But I do hope it's not FFXVI though. Like others in here, I prefer my Final Fantasy's with a complete story. I'd actually be up for someone new to have a go at FF.

Kyoufu

This mess of a game was in prod for TEN YEARS. TEN. And was a goddamn mess. Yes. They salvaged the shit out of it.

I didn't LOVE XV. I liked it. My complaints of it dont eclipse what I liked about it though.

It wasn't in production for 10 years. Development was halted several times to get other projects like FFXIII and FFXIV 2.0 out the door.

Oemenia

Banned
Hard to argue with those calling for Ito, though.

Ok then- 'SALVAGED'. How bout that?

h5790.gif

This mess of a game was in prod for TEN YEARS. TEN. And was a goddamn mess. Yes. They salvaged the shit out of it.

I didn't LOVE XV. I liked it. My complaints of it dont eclipse what I liked about it though.
Nah they still salty that God's gift to man FFvXIII was always vapourware.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The Janitor Ito meme may have its roots on GameFAQs' FF12 board. We used to make those remarks as early as 2008 or so, IIRC.

Giving Luna a backstory after most people are finished with FFXV seems unnecessary.
Should've been there when the game launched. It's also weird that, despite trying to finish the game...it's taken a long ass time to do so. Approaching year 1 fairly fast and it doesn't seem much different
These dudes came in and saved this goddamn game. Give him FF16.

Oh, and keep Nomura the fuck away from it lol
Not sure you can call this saving. His previous games free from Nomura's evil influences was also pretty shit

diaspora

Giving Luna a backstory after most people are finished with FFXV seems unnecessary.
Should've been there when the game launched. It's also weird that, despite trying to finish the game...it's taken a long ass time to do so. Approaching year 1 fairly fast and it doesn't seem much different

Not sure you can call this saving. His previous games free from Nomura's evil influences was also pretty shit
They were also finished

Instro

His team deserves a crack at making a FF from the ground up rather than coming to get a project on track and released.

Toth

I enjoyed some of ff15 but that doesn't change the fact it had no story and the main quest was incredible dull and short.

To be honest, the game has as much content as you the player want to put into it. My 119+ hour save file is not just me sitting around and doing nothing. The game either grabs you or not and that's all I can say about it. A longer main story probably would not have made that big of impact if the direction was the same as the rest of the chapters.

Nah they still salty that God's gift to man FFvXIII was always vapourware.

No, I'm still salty that yet another main FF game is mediocre at best. While the concept behind VersusXIII was surely more interesting, both would have been mediocre at best at the end.

I can see next Tabata game being an ARPG take on Destiny's concept.

DKHF

I'm genuinely interested to see Tabata's new IP he wants to do/is doing. I want to see what him and his team come up with without the baggage they had to take on with XV, I think it could be cool.

Kyoufu

I'm genuinely interested to see Tabata's new IP he wants to do/is doing. I want to see what him and his team come up with without the baggage they had to take on with XV, I think it could be cool.

FFXV wasn't Tabata's first game, you know.

Socivol

From the task given I think Tabata did a pretty good job but I would NOT want him to direct the next FF. All of the games he"s directed have had awful stories.

Hopefully something not Final Fantasy. Get someone new to helm the next single player FF. Yoshi P is the best choice in my opinion but who knows when he will move on from 14.

Kazuhira

The director is the least of my worries,i just hope they keep the same dev team.
They have a really solid base for open world FF games now,so they only need to keep improving upon what they've learned with XV.
A good director is nothing without a competent team and most of the problems that impacted on the game were technical afaik.

LAA

So sounds like they want to move on from FFXV at the end of next year...
Hope the last thing they make is pretty expansive then, new city/area to the city is my hope, explorable Tenebrae/Insomnia. Wish there were more towns in FFXV in general really. Altissa/Lestallum were really the only ones.

As much as I have to be thankful to Tabata for getting FFXV out, I feel it has so much unrealised potential, and as much as people want to give Nomura shit, if he has the time, he can make something GOOD, masterpiece even, and seeing FFXV was passed to Tabata to make it a self contained title, compared to Nomura's vision of a trilogy, and it seems people still feel it's incomplete and needing more in the end anyway, (And that Tabata wants to add to it anyway).
Hope the comrades multiplayer has significant story too, otherwise I'll be feeling that was a bad choice to invest time in.

Only thing I hope for the next FF is they keep to real time gameplay, I feel in FFXV enemies HP were just too much, or your damage was too small, and hope they can make the combat feel more satisfying.

DKHF

FFXV wasn't Tabata's first game, you know.
I know but it was his first game with his huge Business Division 2 staff. Now that they're experienced with HD development and their hypothetical next project isn't shackled by the baggage XV had or the conventions of a franchise I want to see what they create.
Is called FF Type 0, and is pretty bad.
Last time I checked a lot of the XV team weren't from Type-0, they were from across the company and it was a much bigger team than Type-0 had so it wasn't anywhere near the exact same team. And I want to see how he and this new large and HD development experienced team he has do with a new IP (not tied to FF).

Tabata is NOT doing FFXVI. Do people don't even bother to read the OP? Jesus Christ.

How about SE's savior Nomura or Ito? One of which was working on this doomed FFXV until it was shifted to Tabata. The other of whom has never been seen or heard for ages yet people love to reminiscence about his past projects.

Lets talk about the glorious Yoshi-P, or the other 'feedback' guy after Tabata. Tabata gets a lot of shit on getting feedback from fans but Yoshi-P is free from any criticism for doing the same, because he works on an MMO. And some of the people in this thread want him to direct the next FF? I don't mind it since it will just prove what he is worth when it comes to SP games. Personally, I have zero confidence in whatever SE is going to do next. There is no longer any 'savior' left at SE that can put out a FF game that can reclaim its glory days. I enjoyed FFXV for what it was with warts and all and I don't live in a fantasy world where the next mainline game has to be fucking perfect getting GOTY awards, 90+ meta score. Because I don't expect it will get it, even somehow if Ito is given the directorial role and Sakaguchi comes back to the team.

Vic_Viper

Tabata's next game has so much potential if were going by some of the recent updates to FFXV. I cant believe Square has allowed him to spend this much time working on FFXV post release and its only going to help them in the long run considering some of the new ideas they have worked into the game. Say what you will about XV, everything that Tabata did once he took over really helped the game in the long run. If he had control from the very beginning I think the game would have been much better for it. I really enjoyed the open world section of the game but it could have been so much better if they had the time.

The open world multiplayer beta was cool, but it felt like a half step. With the proper amount of time I think this style of game could be really great.

Top Bottom