• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Final Fantasy XV Director Discusses What's Next (FFXV DLC; His Next Project)

Lets talk about the glorious Yoshi-P, or the other 'feedback' guy after Tabata. Tabata gets a lot of shit on getting feedback from fans but Yoshi-P is free from any criticism for doing the same, because he works on an MMO.

If you were in the forums back in ARR alpha days or even post launch, you wouldn't say this.

If Tabata was FFXIV director, we would still have XIV 1.23 combat system.

I wonder what will ppl think of Nomura, after he inevitably destroys FFVII.

I wish Nomura would direct FFVIII Remake. Man deserves it after what happened with FFVII Remake.

lol, just kidding. I've shit on Nomura before but FFVII seems like it's moving forward at a very brisk pace compared to any other major FF release I can remember

Asd202

I wish Nomura would direct FFXVI. Man deserves it after what happened with Versus. Too bad it won't happen though.

Nomura is directing the next big FF project VII remake. XVI is not happening anytime soon, there is no team to make it inside SE as far as I'm aware especially since the remake moved to in house development. If somehow XVI is happening it's most likely directed by Toriyama while most of the actual development is outsourced.

It's weird to see so much credit being given to Tabata for just putting a game out.
Despite the game feeling unfinished and being overall kind of underwhelming...and it still got delayed. His own titles are filled with the standard bad Square Enix story telling but without the gameplay to make up for it Nomura's titles are known for.

If Nomura's HD projects that he's not taken away from turn out as bad then I'd get the demoizing. So far he still puts out titles regularly. He really shouldn't be put on so many titles and SE really should stop announcing things so early, but he's still a better director than a lot of others.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm genuinely interested to see Tabata's new IP he wants to do/is doing. I want to see what him and his team come up with without the baggage they had to take on with XV, I think it could be cool.

Already happened.

Before_Crisis_gameplay.jpg

Crisis_Core.png

The_3rd_Birthday_Cover.png

ps4zzhxlshd.jpg

I wish Nomura would direct FFVIII Remake. Man deserves it after what happened with FFVII Remake.

lol, just kidding. I've shit on Nomura before but FFVII seems like it's moving forward at a very brisk pace compared to any other major FF release I can remember

You mean FFVIIR, which we barely had any footage since it's announcement and the main team behind it was just kicked replaced by an internal team just a few months ago?

Yeah, all going brisk and smoothly.

Laplasakos

Nomura is directing the next big FF project VII remake. XVI is not happening anytime soon, there is no team to make it inside SE as far as I'm aware especially since the remake moved to in house development..

I am not sure that FFVIIR is the next big project for Square, especially the way they are treating it now. I won't be surprised if there are no updates for it until 2019.

Laplasakos

Well following that logic XVI is not even announced so...

Chances are that FFXVI won't get announced until next decade. Square lineup until 2021-2022 in terms of big projects will look like this.

KH3
Avengers
FFXIV Expansions
Another Marvel game
FFVIIR Part 1
Tabata's New project
Maybe FFX-3

DKHF

Already happened.

Before_Crisis_gameplay.jpg

Crisis_Core.png

The_3rd_Birthday_Cover.png

ps4zzhxlshd.jpg
I'm a Square Enix fan, so I'm well aware of Tabata's previous games. I meant more of an emphasis on wanting to see what his new large team (directed by Tabata of course but not the exact same staff as Type-0/the others) that are now experienced with HD development do. And though those past projects had less baggage than XV they were still tied to existing franchises and thus had to work within certain parameters, I want to see how Tabata and his (relatively, since 2013/2014) new team in Business Division 2 do with their own new IP.

theofficefan99

You put out a goddamn survey for updates on the main title screen of the game. How much more feedback could this guy possibly need?

XV is the epitome of a game with zero vision or direction. And yeah, like someone else said, in terms of meaningful content (at least IMO), pretty much nothing has been added. And I don't have faith in future DLC. It'll just be more half-assed and low-budget stuff.

And I'm not sure if I would be interested in another Tabata game. I've played Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday, and Type-0. All games, including XV, have bad writing/storytelling, and a ton of horrible design decisions. In my opinion he has absolutely no business being a director.

On the bright side though, I don't think Tabby is ever going to direct a mainline FF again. No complaints from me.

You put out a goddamn survey for updates on the main title screen of the game. How much more feedback could this guy possibly need?

XV is the epitome of a game with zero vision or direction. And yeah, like someone else said, in terms of meaningful content (at least IMO), pretty much nothing has been added. And I don't have faith in future DLC. It'll just be more half-assed and low-budget stuff.

And I'm not sure if I would be interested in another Tabata game. I've played Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday, and Type-0. All games, including XV, have bad writing/storytelling, and a ton of horrible design decisions. In my opinion he has absolutely no business being a director.

I mean it has no direction since Tabata inherited the game, thus he has no love towards the world or the characters.. I mean he did lightly changed up Noctis personality and other shit.

Koozek

These dudes came in and saved this goddamn game. Give him FF16.

Oh, and keep Nomura the fuck away from it lol

Hard pass. I want the next FF to have a semi-cohesive story. Or at least, I want it to show me events that happen instead of telling me about it.

So this negates both Tabata and Toriyama from the next one, hopefully.

I like FFXV, I like Tabata, I am glad they have continued to make the game better, but I don't want two mainline games in a row from his team. It's Ito's time to shine again!

They definetly need to get their shit together with XVI. I'm still torn on VX, and the troubled development shows almost everywhere. I wish they would go back to Ivalice or something like FF IX when it comes to the setting. And don't try the open world stuff again and focus on a well written, cohesive story instead.

Imagine what it must be like to express one's opinion, even if it's negative.

How much is it by now?

Lol at fleshing out key characters (the main villian and female protagonist) over a year after the game is out. They should have had fleshed out stories from the beginning.

Keep this guy far far away from XVI. Let him have his "Type" series so I know to stay away.

I hope Tabata won'd do FFXVI, not because I dislike him, but I want a different director (just don't be Toriyama). Tabata's team should work on expanding FFXV and start working on a new IP.

Well good luck to him and the team, clearly they went through a lot with FFXV.

But I do hope it's not FFXVI though. Like others in here, I prefer my Final Fantasy's with a complete story. I'd actually be up for someone new to have a go at FF.

Hopefully something not Final Fantasy. Get someone new to helm the next single player FF. Yoshi P is the best choice in my opinion but who knows when he will move on from 14.
I feel like this should be a disclaimer in any thread about Tabata to avoid the same posts again and again:

Tabata's team is not and will not be working on FFXVI. They're working on a new IP, nothing FF-related. In the last two years Tabata has stated several times that he wants to do something that's not FF next.

And they're using the Luminous engine again for this new project as stated in this recent interview (remember folks here who were 100% sure that Luminous was a dumpster fire that would never ever be used again? 🐸☕):

theofficefan99

I mean it has no direction since Tabata inherited the game, thus he has no love towards the world or the characters.. I mean he did lightly changed up Noctis personality and other shit.

He was co-director before he was the director, no? Either way, a director needs to give a game direction. The whole experience is a mess and nothing connects, especially if you add in Universe stuff. And before the game was released he was constantly asking for input from fans. Come up with your own damn ideas and have confidence in them. Though I don't think I would have wanted that either, considering his other 3 games are filled with really bad design decisions.

These dudes came in and saved this goddamn game. Give him FF16.

Oh, and keep Nomura the fuck away from it lol

Hell yeah. This man took someone else's game and made it actually happen. The disrespect he gets is unprecedented. Especially given how he and his team listen to and try to work with the community. But yeah, he actually makes games and not just trailers so he gets my vote for another FF in the future.

The problem isnt that this information is hard to find, its just that they see FFXV in a thread title and rush to shit post before reading anything.

You can tell by alot of these posts that people just read the thread title, remember how many people thought ffxv needed 10 million sales to be successful? That was the result of reading a thread title and nothing in the OP.

Kyoufu

Hell yeah. This man took someone else's game and made it actually happen. The disrespect he gets is unprecedented. Especially given how he and his team listen to and try to work with the community. But yeah, he actually makes games and not just trailers so he gets my vote for another FF in the future.

Nomura's trailers are more enjoyable than Tabata's games.

He was co-director before he was the director, no? Either way, a director needs to give a game direction. The whole experience is a mess and nothing connects, especially if you add in Universe stuff. And before the game was released he was constantly asking for input from fans. Come up with your own damn ideas and have confidence in them.

He got assigned co-director a few months earlier before Nomura got the boot.. anyway expecting anything from a guy with a handheld background was a mistake. However, I liked the bros and enjoyed the game somewhat for what it was but it was a disappointment. He even removed the original combat bleh.

Koozek

Well following that logic XVI is not even announced so...
Don't be surprised if they suddenly showed a small teaser this year already (logo, concept art etc.)
and then years of nothing again and people will again be pissed at SE, lol

As much as I hated XV there is a framework there for a good game to be made. Hopefully with a new IP that doesn't have 15 years of baggage associated with it will mean they can put out something decent...I just know I'll be waiting for reviews before jumping in this time around

I'm a Square Enix fan, so I'm well aware of Tabata's previous games. I meant more of an emphasis on wanting to see what his new large team (directed by Tabata of course but not the exact same staff as Type-0/the others) that are now experienced with HD development do. And though those past projects had less baggage than XV they were still tied to existing franchises and thus had to work within certain parameters, I want to see how Tabata and his (relatively, since 2013/2014) new team in Business Division 2 do with their own new IP.
Not sure what's so exciting about a Director with mediocre SD experiences and HD experiences working on bigger projects.
I'd jump on board once he proves himself

If you were in the forums back in ARR alpha days or even post launch, you wouldn't say this.

So.. I am saying lets just give Yoshi-P the chance to direct FFXVI. I mean if this stops all the comments about letting him direct the next game, so be it. If it ends up being a great game, then as a FF fan, I will love it. Somehow if it ends up being another FFXII, then it is a pass for me. But there are people who love FFXII so there's that.

Similarly if the next game is going to be a more cohesive and narrative focused FFXV with similar mechanics, then I know that I will LOVE it. It doesn't matter who is the director, whether it is Toriyama or Tabata or Yoshi-P. As long as the end game is good and I enjoy it, this is what matters to me.

All this dick waving contest over which is the 'better' director is just useless. Yoshi-P has no experience with directing a big budget SP game. Nomura hasn't delivered a big budget, critically acclaimed game in a long time. Same for Ito, who has yet to release a game on a HD console.

tldr; the current SE is nowhere capable of reaching the heights of FFVI to FFX. Stop dreaming about it people and face the reality. It doesn't mean you stop enjoying their games since they are still good, however they are nowhere critically acclaimed, so what? Embrace the flaws and appreciate what's good in them.

theofficefan99

He was forced to release the game by the end of 2016. To say that the main story/writing in general is a train wreck is a massive understatement; I have never witnessed such a horribly mismanaged story. The battle system has ZERO balance. The magic, summon, and upgrade systems are incredibly half-assed. The camera and lock-on are literally the worst in any game I have ever played. The open world is empty. Load times are atrocious. The fast travel map does not function properly. Outside of dungeons, side quests are braindead MMO-esque stuff that are pure time wasters. I could go on and on.

Sorry, but the man does not deserve praise just for being forced to shove the game out the door. At least in my opinion. Because the entire product reeks of poor prioritizing and incompetence.

He got assigned co-director a few months earlier before Nomura got the boot.. anyway expecting anything from a guy with a handheld background was a mistake. However, I liked the bros and enjoyed the game somewhat for what it was but it was a disappointment. He even removed the original combat bleh.

I tried to enjoy the game for what it was, aka a "road trip" game (aka driving around in Lucis and doing hunts). And I couldn't even enjoy it then. Open world is dead. Not fun to explore. Environments are mostly dull. Bad load times. Car is a chore whether manual, auto, or Type-D. Combat has billions of issues. Sidequests have zero depth. I just can't.

Ferr986

To be fair IMO Yoshi-P just took an unfocused MMO (yes I played 1.0 since Alpha) and copied the popular trend (WoW) with a coat of FF paint. He did a good job on that but I don't see how his work on XIV would be relevant on making an SP FF.

Mind you, maybe he's capable and does an awesome job, I just don't see on XIV a reason to believe that though.

Btw I think the same about, say, Komoto, who directed the awesome XI expansions Chains of Promatia or Treasures of Ath Urghan, even when I rate those higher than XIV works. Creating an SP FF is way WAY different than creating an MMO, and Yoshi-P doesn't have experience in that.

theofficefan99

How do all these mediocre games keep selling and getting positive reviews? 🤔

Crisis Core sold well because it's a FFVII game. Had super super super high production values for a portable game, too.

3rd Birthday reviewed and sold poorly.

Type-0 reviewed poorly and I don't think it sold well, either. Game still has new Day One editions for sale IIRC.

And XV is a mainline FF game. Of course it's going to sell well. If we're going by reviews then it's the lowest-rated mainline non-MMO FF, so nothing to brag about, either.

DKHF

Not sure what's so exciting about a Director with mediocre SD experiences and HD experiences working on bigger projects.
I'd jump on board once he proves himself
Well some people like those previous SD/HD experiences, wasn't trying to argue everyone should be excited for it. Also like I said all those past experiences were made within the parameters of another franchise/someone else's worlds, this would be different to that. And I didn't say I'm excited for it, rather just intrigued... He also has a lot of talented artists (like Yuki Matsuzawa) and staff from other areas working under him who I want to see design/work with their own characters/world for the new IP.

How do all these mediocre games keep selling and getting positive reviews? 🤔
Type 0 has the FF name and the FFXV demo.
Has a 73% metacritic.
Also not sure it sold super well.
3rd birthday has a 71%. Pretty sure it didn't sell too well.
FFXV has gotten a mixed reception from fans since launch and has a lower metacritic than FF13.
FF Crisis Core is also pretty bad, also has FF name.
Prequel to the most popular game in the franchise

To be fair IMO Yoshi-P just took an unfocused MMO (yes I played 1.0 since Alpha) and copied the popular trend (WoW) with a coat of FF paint. He did a good job on that but I don't see how his work on XIV would be relevant on making an SP FF.

Mind you, maybe he's capable and does an awesome job, I just don't see on XIV a reason to believe that though.

Btw I think the same about, say, Komoto, who directed the awesome XI expansions Chains of Promatia or Treasures of Ath Urghan, even when I rate those higher than XIV works. Creating an SP FF is way WAY different than creating an MMO, and Yoshi-P doesn't have experience in that.

So.. I am saying lets just give Yoshi-P the chance to direct FFXVI. I mean if this stops all the comments about letting him direct the next game, so be it. If it ends up being a great game, then as a FF fan, I will love it. Somehow if it ends up being another FFXII, then it is a pass for me. But there are people who love FFXII so there's that.

Similarly if the next game is going to be a more cohesive and narrative focused FFXV with similar mechanics, then I know that I will LOVE it. It doesn't matter who is the director, whether it is Toriyama or Tabata or Yoshi-P. As long as the end game is good and I enjoy it, this is what matters to me.

All this dick waving contest over which is the 'better' director is just useless. Yoshi-P has no experience with directing a big budget SP game. Nomura hasn't delivered a big budget, critically acclaimed game in a long time. Same for Ito, who has yet to release a game on a HD console.

tldr; the current SE is nowhere capable of reaching the heights of FFVI to FFX. Stop dreaming about it people and face the reality. It doesn't mean you stop enjoying their games since they are still good, however they are nowhere critically acclaimed, so what? Embrace the flaws and appreciate what's good in them.

I was just wanted to emphasize that Yoshi-P is not a slave of feedback, while he considers that feedback is very important on a MMO, he has a clear vision of what FFXIV, a vision he never compromises because feedback.

Unlike Tabata which is "hey, what do you want next? We'll make a poll, we'll do what you want!!". Considering the genre (MMO), Yoshi-P needs that feedback and consider it, and works on it, in the limit of his own vision.

That said, I'd say that of all current SE directors, the only one who has a chance of making a good FF game, is Yoshi-P, because XIV is already an excellent FF game. He truly understands and loves the series, and knows what's important to focus on.

Edit: BTW, Komoto was the original director of XIV and now works with Yoshi-P lol

Ferr986

I was just wanted to emphasize that Yoshi-P is not a slave of feedback, while he considers that feedback is very important on a MMO, he has a clear vision of what FFXIV, a vision he never compromises because feedback.

With this I agree, I waited for too long for him to change the housing system lol
:(

Crisis Core sold well because it's a FFVII game. Had super super super high production values for a portable game, too.

3rd Birthday reviewed and sold poorly.

Type-0 reviewed poorly and I don't think it sold well, either. Game still has new Day One editions for sale IIRC.

And XV is a mainline FF game. Of course it's going to sell well. If we're going by reviews then it's the lowest-rated mainline non-MMO FF, so nothing to brag about, either.

Your excuse for crisis core is pathetic, type 0 is nearly 2 million, did you forget it was a psp game?

And FFXV will likely end up as the 3rd best selling game of the series before its all said and done.

Top Bottom