• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: GTA Chinatown Wars Hands On

Haunted

The team working on this is twice as big as the team working on the GTA PSP titles?

I have a hard time believing that.

Previews are usually full of shit and the screens are pretty ugly, but I'll wait until I see it in motion on the DS screen before judging.

I'm one of those GTA2 lovers, though, so since they're talking of returning to those roots a bit more, I really want this to be good.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Haunted said:
Previews are usually full of shit and the screens are pretty ugly, but I'll wait until I see it in motion on the DS screen before judging.

erm, yeah....

stuminus3

I will go against popular GAF opinion and insist on believing this is going to be pretty good. I continue to believe it's going to work just because of the effort R* Leeds are making to build it from the ground up, instead of shoe-horning something else onto the system.

Vinci

Danish
No complaints thus far. I'll judge once I've seen reviews and have actually played it myself. People judging DS and Wii games before playing them still?

Bizzyb

Banned
the game is actually really good. It IS a true GTA game, just downsized for DS. I can't believe people still judge 3d based DS games from still pics.

Quick impressions from IGNs Ahmed1000 who played the title at Comic Con 09

"Damn this game is awesome. Great use of both screens. Great use of the touch screen. Great graphics, really looks stunning. Gameplay is surprisingly deep. All cars have different physics, they do receive damage, they explode, you can jump out of them, run over people, shoot people, everything. It feels great. A lot of effort was put into this title. I had a limited time with it and could not video tape. Was prohibited. It looked great though."

cw_sasuke said:
erm, yeah....

he's right. It's not just for this game, but most previews give games the benefit of the doubt.

I really do want to see this game in motion. If it looks smooth enough, I think it could end up looking fairly nice for the DS.

It's really annoying how we haven't seen any videos thus far. D:<
I'm not really interested in the game, or any GTA for that matter, but I'm kinda curious to see how the graphics turned out.

dankir

What the fuck are you guys complaining about? For a GTA experience on the DS those screens look pretty damn good.

Neomoto

The impressions got me excited for this GTA. Can't wait to play it :) Screens don't look that hot but I'm sure it looks fine in motion (like many other DS games)

Fuzzy said:
Pre-order at GameStop and get $10K and the best guns in the game? :lol
It's not like anyone will take the story mode seriously? BBFC said it has like 2 hours of cut scenes, which is way too much for a portable game IMO. I'm jumping straight into multiplayer, cheats and going crazy.

v1cious

Banned
i can't believe they expect people to pay actual money for this. it looks like a fucking Live/PSN game, and that's probably where it's heading after it doesn't sell. i'll probably check it out "other means" before i decide to buy it, i don't trust any reviews from these nostalgia lamers.

Tobor

v1cious said:
i can't believe they expect people to pay actual money for this. it looks like a fucking Live/PSN game, and that's probably where it's heading after it doesn't sell.

You don't pay money for your Live/PSN games?

v1cious said:
i can't believe they expect people to pay actual money for this. it looks like a fucking Live/PSN game, and that's probably where it's heading after it doesn't sell.

Geez, can you stop being such a graphic whore for even a second? All previews/impressions have shown this is a full blown GTA experience yet you're judging it based on graphics which is incredibly stupid and doesn't give the game the credit it deserves

m3k

KyotoMecca said:
Surprised%20by%20the%20law.jpg

reminds me of a certain wolverine facial expression :lol

v1cious

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Geez, can you stop being such a graphic whore for even a second? All previews/impressions have shown this is a full blown GTA experience yet you're judging it based on graphics which is incredibly stupid and doesn't give the game the credit it deserves

so because it's "good for what it is", i should pay FULL RETAIL PRICE for this? you can seriously justify that?

Tobor

v1cious said:
not the price of a full game, i don't.

:lol Whatever.

v1cious said:
i'll probably check it out "other means" before i decide to buy it, i don't trust any reviews from these nostalgia lamers.

Dude, what is wrong with you? You edited that in?

v1cious said:
so because it's "good for what it is", i should pay FULL RETAIL PRICE for this? you can seriously justify that?

You should pay full retail price for the quality of the experience if you deem it is worthy. Not suddenly discount it because you find the graphics lacking.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
v1cious said:
i can't believe they expect people to pay actual money for this. it looks like a fucking Live/PSN game, and that's probably where it's heading after it doesn't sell. i'll probably check it out "other means" before i decide to buy it, i don't trust any reviews from these nostalgia lamers.
What the hell are you going on about?

v1cious said:

So buying DS games is silly, because they could be PSN/XBLA titles? Do you know the concept "portable gaming"?

Tobor

Stoney Mason said:
You should pay full retail price for the quality of the experience if you deem it is worthy. Not suddenly discount it because you find the graphics lacking.

A. He just openly put his eyepatch on for all to see.

B. He doesn't see the irony in saying a DS game looks like an XBLA/PSN game, which is actually a compliment.

v1cious said:
Tell me more.

markot

Banned
hehe, nice ad.

Looks nice, if its decent gta2 stuff itll be cool.

My only worry is that the camera is too zoomed in >.< might make it annoying.

v1cious

Banned
Tobor said:
A. He just openly put his eyepatch on for all to see.

B. He doesn't see the irony in saying a DS game looks like an XBLA/PSN game, which is actually a compliment.

a. actually i meant my neighbor, but whatever.

b. compare a 15 dollar download to what will most likely be a 30-40 dollar title.

v1cious said:

Who actually lives their life like this?

Tobor

v1cious said:
a. actually i meant my neighbor, but whatever.

b. compare a 15 dollar download to what will most likely be a 30-40 dollar title.

Compare the DS hardware to the 360 and PS3. I hope you've never purchased any DS games since they are obviously not worth your hard earned money...well, your neighbor's hard earned money.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
v1cious said:

So being a portable dual screen title built from the ground up to utilise the touch screen and online functionality of the DS, while standing as a brand new entry in the isometric/birds-eye GTA games, is not enough to warrant a purchase?

I hope you don’t buy any games with engines pushing less than Crysis.

v1cious said:
borrowing is a crime now?

whatever i'm done with this argument.
Hahahaha, you are so full of shit.

I have never seen anyone scramble harder to explain themselves. Good show.

I hope the game has anti-pirate locks so you can tell us on day one how your neighbor's car broke down on the way to the store and you couldn't try it.

Tobor

dreamcastmaster said:
I like the look of this, theres not a lot they could have done to make it realistic considering the hardware it's on.

Exactly. It's the perfect art style to match the hardware. Hopefully the inevitable GTA Wii game uses a similar style.

Top Bottom