• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Retro Studios Working on Donkey Kong Revival

Game-Biz

Black-Wind said:
I don't think this is true . . . I think it's just something to get hits and get everyone worked up before the big day. :/
Its true. Count on it. This apparently comes from Peer Schneider, someone who doesn't tend to bullshit around.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Game-Biz said:
Its true. Count on it. This apparently comes from Peer Schneider, someone who doesn't tend to bullshit around.

I thought it came from Parish?

Poyunch

Dascu said:
I want them to make something in a genre that's underrepresented on the Wii, but would work well with its controls. In other words a good 3rd person shooter.

Colourful platformers starring Nintendo characters is not an underrepresented genre on the Wii, so I'd be disappointed in that regard.
This. It's something out of the ordinary for Nintendo to produce. And Retro's already shown how well they can create a sci-fi world I'd like to see what they could do without using an established brand.

Varjet

Freezie KO said:
Then there's the spin-offs. DK '94 (starring Mario) is the best game bearing the ape's name.
If anything, DK'94 is the legitimate successor to the arcade games and the DKC games are the spin-offs :p. But you are are right about it being the best DK game.

wRATH2x

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Meet the new Matt, same as the old Matt.
Let us just hope we won't hear all that "voice acting makes the game more mature" bullshit doesn't resurface with this douche.

Sadist

25h2zqf.gif

Nessus

Varjet said:
If anything, DK'94 is the legitimate successor to the arcade games and the DKC games are the spin-offs :p. But you are are right about it being the best DK game.

DK'94 is a perfect example of pure gaming.

If the rumor's true, it'd be amazing if Retro used something like that as the foundation instead of DKC.

Though, I have enough faith in Retro that I wouldn't be surprised if they took it all in a completely unexpected direction that doesn't end up feeling like DKC or Mario Galaxy.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This is the one game I've been waiting for so anxiously. I never expected anything to actually happen, and I'm still taking it with a grain of salt, but this could be amazing.

Mafro

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about this. I've never really been a Donkey Kong fan, and I was looking forward to seeing a brand new IP from Retro.

deleted

A new platformer like DKC would just be too good, so I I think its either not true or not based on DKC.

If it is a new DKC this will be my favourite E³ though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
xyla said:
A new platformer like DKC would just be too good, so I I think its either not true or not based on DKC.

If it is a new DKC this will be my favourite E³ though.

really i'm not sure nintendo needs another major platformer series with mario galaxy in the equation. it fills that niche pretty nicely. i guess focusing on some other element of movement like climbing would be really interesting, or--as others have posited--making it some sort of mirror's edge-esque first person traversal game.

AniHawk

beelzebozo said:
really i'm not sure nintendo needs another major platformer series with mario galaxy in the equation. it fills that niche pretty nicely. i guess focusing on some other element of movement like climbing would be really interesting, or--as others have posited--making it some sort of mirror's edge-esque first person traversal game.

nintendo might not need more platformers, but i do

upandaway

beelzebozo said:
Really now, you mean NSMBW right? And what do you mean "niche"? DKC was pretty damn successful.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
upandaway said:
Really now, you mean NSMBW right? And what do you mean "niche"? DKC was pretty damn successful.

i'm trying to convey that there would have to be some pretty drastic features to differentiate donkey kong platforming from mario platforming. those lines have been blurred a little with ead tokyo's handling of jungle beat and smg, with smg2 sharing some minor similarities to the dkjb.

don't get testy. i'm just trying to say there'd have to be some major differences, otherwise they'd be making something so similar as to be essentially a pointless reskinning of ideas from mario galaxy.

upandaway

beelzebozo said:
i'm trying to convey that there would have to be some pretty drastic features to differentiate donkey kong platforming from mario platforming. those lines have been blurred a little with ead tokyo's handling of jungle beat and smg, with smg2 sharing some minor similarities to the dkjb.

don't get testy. i'm just trying to say there'd have to be some major differences, otherwise they'd be making something so similar as to be essentially a pointless reskinning of ideas from mario galaxy.
I still don't really get it. DKC is another 2D platformer, and it should do really well on the Wii as long as it's good, just like NSMBW. All it needs is the same atmosphere and level design.
DKC came out for the SNES after Super Mario World, and that was enough to give it 2 sequels.
Galaxy in general didn't seem to be too popular among the 2D platformers compared to NSMB anyway, so there's no reason why it should take sales from DKC Wii.

don't get testy.
Sorry it came off that way.

[Nintex]

Donkey Kong Country 4 by Retro Studios would be awesome, I wonder how this game will be different from earlier Donkey Kong games. Maybe a first person platform game?

vesp

Not what I was expecting or hoping for.

Maybe a Tomba style 2 or 2.5d DK(C?) or a DK4 (styled after 1 or Jr.) could be cool but bleh at another 3d mascot platformer or weird bongo game.

deleted

beelzebozo said:

Back in the good old SNES days you could hardly say that the genre was crouded with 2 series. This generation is the first after the SNES one that showed that there is still enormous sales potential in good (Nintendo) jump'n'run games.

I´d say DKC looks different enough from a Mario J'n'R and has enough gameplay features to differentiate from them. Lots of verticaly centered levels and lots of animal takeovers that changes the gameplay drastically. And it helps that it has another atmosphere too.

I´m looking forward to an announcement, but I don´t get my hopes up.

It would be a shame if they weren't working on an original IP but DK is pretty much as far as you can get from Metroid so it woild be interesting to see!

I'm taking this rumour with a grain of salt though.

Hopefully true and the franchise comes back with a bang. I'd love a SNES type platform adventure game again. I don't want some stupid DK King of Swing type game.

Spiegel said:
Whoa, I hope this is true.
Now NST only has to show a Wave Race/1080 and Nintendo will win the E3.

I'll take Wave Race thank you very much.
Blue Storm was so close to perfection yet so far away.

wazoo

Spiegel said:
Whoa, I hope this is true.

Now NST only has to show a Wave Race/1080 and Nintendo will win the E3.

If the 3DS power is Gc-like, Wave Race and 1080 remade in stereo 3D would be a no brainer, like redoing Luigi Mansion on the Wii.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Not sure if want. The DK series is dodgy to me and depending on what gameplay ideas they decide to go with it may be hit or miss. I never really cared for the possibility of a Retro Zelda either, I guess I would like to see them doing something new.

swerve

I was hoping for Jungle Beat 2 to come out of EAD Tokyo someday. If this is true then that dream just got smashed right up. :(

I'd certainly be interested to see what direction Retro would take it. Climbing focus sounds cool, maybe with a sophisticated momentum system so you have to carry your speed through each jump - parcour style.

Galaxy 2 fill the hole in my heart where Jungle Beat 2 would live for now, anyway.

sphinx

the piano man
harry4000uk said:
they've been bleating on about kid icarus for years. i'll take this with a pinch of salt

this, 1000 times.

Matt Casamabullshit in the Nintendo voice chat podcast pre E3 2008 said:
"Of course [Nintendo is] going to have some E3 surprises. You know, Kid Icarus, for crying out loud, how many times do we have to say Kid Icarus? Kid Icarus is coming for crying out loud."

IGN is soooo full of shit, it's astounding they have any credibility whatsoever, they are far worse than kotaku.

Top Bottom