• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Retro Studios Working on Donkey Kong Revival

I like Donkey Kong more than Metroid or Zelda, but the series has been hit or miss.

The arcade versions are great. DKC 1+2 are great. DKC 3 is pretty good. DK64 is an atrocity. Jungle Beat is good, but insanely overrated.

Then there's the spin-offs. DK '94 (starring Mario) is the best game bearing the ape's name. Konga was fun for a rhythm game. Barrel Blast (I hear) was terrible. The King of Swing games (again, I hear) were pretty good.

Should be interesting. I hope it's a platformer about dodging environmental hazards and enemies. That's the core of the series to me. They can do anything else they want.

Skiesofwonder said:
Note: IGN mentions it is a "rumor", but IGN wouldn't post a story on it's front page two days before E3 unless they 100% thought it was true (at least I hope so).

Yea the site that placed Metal Gear: Triology as an official game with its own page....

Hopefully the outcome is revealed soon.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I hope the rumors are true. I don't mind Retro making the game and I don't see why anyone should. With Nintendo monitoring the process and with the talent in the Retro Studios this game can only be good :) It's also nice to see more big budget platformers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pirate Kremlins or bust.

seady

I want them to make the game epic, but please don't use the same formula as Metroid and Zelda. I always think these two already share a lot in common, I don't want Donkey Kong to go that route too. It needs to find its own personality, not simply through environment and art style, but in gameplay too.

DaBuddaDa said:
Well, it is one teet from the Nintendo catalog that hasn't been thoroughly milked yet so it makes sense.

Major troll job. Nintendo has left a lot of B-series off the Wii this gen, and the Mario games have been of higher quality AND lesser quantity.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Game-Biz said:
Holy shit. I was about to say that's more than improable since he works for Rare. But after a quick little Google search it seems that I missed the news that he resigned and does freelance work nowadays!:0000

Sweet Jeeebus.

I checked his Wikipedia page for no particular reason as I entered this thread and only then did I discover he's now a freelancer. It was news to me, too. :lol

Edit: I actually remember that thread the article links to. I'm such an idiot for forgetting his departure from Rare. :lol

New Donkey Kong (Country) Wii

I doubt we will see a new 3d DK game and NSMB showed how big of a market there is for that style of game

Crisis

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
Note: IGN mentions it is a "rumor", but IGN wouldn't post a story on it's front page two days before E3 unless they 100% thought it was true (at least I hope so).

Oh yes they would.

catchpenny said:
Also: funny how people were excited about a Retro Zelda, but not a Retro DK. Hard to see how one is more suited to Retro than the other in terms of gameplay.

Oh but wait, Zelda has swords and dramatic music so it's more of a mature "western" game than one featuring a tie-wearing ape. Carry on, then.

Yeah we were real excited about a rumored game that was never announced as opposed to a rumored game that that has not yet been announced.

Cipherr

upandaway said:
Besides DKC, I never got the love for DK. The Wii game also wasn't that good.

I also don't think Retro's strengths can come into full play with that IP.

Well, whatever. Hopefully not true, but I'm leaning towards true.

I dont even know what retro studios 'strength's are really. Ive seen them do metroid, and like, tech demos of shit that never got released. I have no idea if they do or dont have the creativity or chops to make a platformer tbh.

And holy fuck and the possibility of david wise. Should probably stop even thinking about that, it would be awesome, but too awesome to be true.

DanteFox

I'm tempted to believe this, simply because of the amount of sense it would make for Nintendo to give retro an opportunity to revive DK, but then again....

Log4Girlz said:
Will this release before or after Kid Icarus?

there's that.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Puncture said:
I dont even know what retro studios 'strength's are really. Ive seen them do metroid, and like, tech demos of shit that never got released. I have no idea if they do or dont have the creativity or chops to make a platformer tbh.

And holy fuck and the possibility of david wise. Should probably stop even thinking about that, it would be awesome, but too awesome to be true.

Level design, creativity, attention to detail. Those three things come to mind when thinking about Retro.

I'll take IGN reporting with a grain of salt. Can't say I'm terribly excited about a new DK game, but I'd be happy to hear about something from Retro...

BocoDragon said:
"Bitches love my coconut gun, nah mean?"

"It fires in SPURTS! Troof."

"Quickly I swing, perch by perch
hang down head-first from that birch
throw some peels to make Kremlings lurch
spot the bananas that I search
I'm a gorillaaa"

goomba said:
Hmmm I dont think this makes much sense.

EAD Tokyo made themselves with the awesome DKJB and then went onto SMG greatness.

I'd rather see Retro doing the Goleneye remake :D
Well you see- Wait, rewind the tape... Yes, right there...

Miyamoto a few years back (Paraphrased) said:
You know, I could make a Mario FPS if I wanted to.
goomba said:
EAD Tokyo made themselves with the awesome DKJB and then went onto SMG greatness.
*Spins around in chair*
Oh man! Oh God! Oh man! Oh God! Oh man! Oh God!

J-Rock

Banned
Donkey Kong: Gorilla Warfare

gorilla_war.jpeg

BELIEVE

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Skiesofwonder said:
:lol

fyik34.jpg

In the months leading up to the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2008, sources told IGN that a Wii remake of Kid Icarus was underway and destined to be unveiled at the event.

DanteFox

grandjedi6 said:
:lol

http://i47.tinypic.com/fyik34.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
which is why I'm super hesitant to believe any rumors from IGN regarding insider nintendo knowledge. we're expected to believe that out of all the news sources in gaming, somehow ign was privileged enough to escape nintendo's security ninjas. :lol

Meh, hope it's fake. Retro already ruined (3D) Metroid for me. Can't they just do a new IP?

Also, while Donkey Kong has been somewhat ignored, he's had some good games. Jungle Beat is amazing, and King of Swing/Jungle Climber are great. Mario vs DK series aren't really DK games.

Feep

Banned
Goddammit. These leaks are killing the megaton potential of the conferences. Shut your damn mouths, leaky sources!

watkinzez

Well, it would allow Retro to use their talents in a completely different genre, art style et al. That's why people wanted them to do something original, right?

Salazar

Feep said:
Goddammit. These leaks are killing the megaton potential of the conferences. Shut your damn mouths, leaky sources!

GAF won't stop hoping or believing. Even if the box under the tree is only a foot wide, GAF will believe it's a bicycle.

watkinzez said:
Well, it would allow Retro to use their talents in a completely different genre, art style et al. That's why people wanted them to do something original, right?
I think people care more about "brand new high profile Nintendo IPs" then they do about a studio being able to do something new and fresh for themselves.

I don't think this is true . . . I think it's just something to get hits and get everyone worked up before the big day. :/

legend166

watkinzez said:

Most people who want them to make a new IP want it to just be another sci-fi shooter, so I dunno.

Salazar

I love how the IGN E3 countdown says "1 days".

It's that subtle literacy-overtaken-by-excitement feeling that brings us all together.

Dascu

legend166 said:
Most people who want them to make a new IP want it to just be another sci-fi shooter, so I dunno.
I want them to make something in a genre that's underrepresented on the Wii, but would work well with its controls. In other words a good 3rd person shooter.

Colourful platformers starring Nintendo characters is not an underrepresented genre on the Wii, so I'd be disappointed in that regard.

CassSept

If it was during any other part of year, I wouldn't believe in this rumor. But we're just before E3, so press do already have some of the news that will be revealed in few days. They are either screwing with us with these hints, or it's true.

If last year someone told you Ninja Gaiden were to make a Metroid game, would you believe them?

Top Bottom