• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg Asked to Write Uncharted Film. WUT

M.D

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg Asked to Write Uncharted Film

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg have been approached multiple times by developer Naughty Dog to write a script for the Uncharted film.

“They’re constantly asking me and Evan to make the Uncharted movie,” Rogen told IGN during an interview for his latest movie, This Is The End. (You can watch the pair talking about the Uncharted film in the news video above.)

Goldberg went on to reveal they've been asked multiple times over the last four years, but have declined the job, despite being huge fans of the games, because they can't think of the right treatment. “It’s just going to be Indiana Jones,” says Goldberg. “If we could figure out a way to make it not Indiana Jones, it’d be awesome.”

An Uncharted movie has been in development since mid-2007, with various directors and writers attached to the project over the years. The film came close to shooting in 2011 with David O. Russell in the director’s chair and Mark Wahlberg in the role of Nathan Drake. It was a controversial adaptation, with Russell heavily altering the source material – Robert De Niro and Joe Peschi were cast as Drake’s father and uncle respectively. Ultimately, Russell left the project abruptly citing creative differences with Sony.

While director Neil Burger was briefly slated to take charge of the movie in the interim, there's currently no director attached to the film. The last we heard screenwriters Marianne and Cormac Wibberley (National Treasure, Bad Boys II) had been hired to rewrite the flick, but that was way back in August, 2012. There have been no updates since.

Do you think Rogen and Goldberg would be a good fit for the film (Naughty Dog obviously think so)? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Kyon

Banned
dick jokecharTed?
2095c354.gif~original

I...could almost see this working, if Seth and Evan have actually played the games and understand what they're about. The guys are actually not bad writers, even if their sense of humor in their own movies tends to verge on the juvenile side of things.

If Sony gives them a strict PG-13 rating (which I'm assuming an Uncharted film would have anyway), I think they could pull it off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I find it odd that it was ND that approached the pair. Really, the amount of missteps this project has taken thus far is baffling. I mean, how hard should it be to get the proper affairs in order for a big-screen adaptation of a video game that wears its film influences on its sleeve?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still so thankful that the Wahlberg version didn't happen.

Jeffrey Tambor as Sully

Kristen Wiig as Elena.

Emma Watson as Chloe

NO. Get that shit out of here. Emily Rose or nothing.

Of all the actors in Uncharted, she's the one who most resembles her character off-screen. She could easily pull off the role in a live-action adaptation. Also she's gorgeous, so double points for that.

I don't really see what's wrong with this. Aren't the Uncharted games sort of tongue in cheek? Rogen has that covered. Besides, it's a movie based on a video game and we all know how these usually go anyway.

Ridley327

I find it odd that it was ND that approached the pair. Really, the amount of missteps this project has taken thus far is baffling. I mean, how hard should it be to get the proper affairs in order for a big-screen adaptation of a video game that wears its film influences on its sleeve?

You should look up the history of the Tomb Raider film to give you an idea of just how crazy the Hollywood system can get with regards to material that is already well-suited for adaptation.

In all seriousness they are both pretty good writers. They can do the script justice.

Both were producers for 50/50 and the movie was great.

They're right, games are cool but if this was a film it would be a third rate Indy knock off. Wouldn't even be able to keep up with the mummy.

They would at least write something hilarious here.

Also lmao at David o Russell not making it anymore, dude has a great track record...far greater than this or any game movie deserves

Ourobolus

Banned
Paul Rudd as Drake
Jason Segel as Sully
James Franco as Navarro
Raymond Cruz as Eddy Raja
Jonah Hill as a Zombie
Jennifer Aniston as Elena

Bazza

Although I don't really want an uncharted movie if they cast Joe Flagnigan as Drake and Bruce Campbell (he can grow a tash) as Sully I would be happy, TV actors I know but when I picture Uncharted that's who I see playing them.

I wish Seth Rogen's career would just die already. News flash Seth: The lathargic stoner thing has been done well before your time, and much better than you could ever hope to do.

Top Bottom