• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg Asked to Write Uncharted Film. WUT

Channing Tatum as Drake

Jonah Hill as Bumbling Sidekick Who Is Secretly Working For The Enemy And Dies In The After Credits Scene

Natalie Portman as the Strong Independent Woman Who Falls For Drake's Charm But Denies It Until He Saves Her And They Kiss In That PG 13 Way.

Aubrey Plaza as Strong Independent Woman's Annoying Best Friend

Ben Kingsley as Old Dude Who Dies Before Giving Drake The McGuffin

Jonboy

Nathan Fillion practically IS Nathan Drake. If it ever happens, he absolutely needs to be the one playing Drake.

Don't believe me? Just watch an episode of Castle.

Busty

Banned
This is the same Sony Pictures that passed on the chance to make a God Of War film allowing it to go to rivals Universal and then passed on the film rights to Heavy Rain and Ratchet and Clank.

Keep it up guys. You're doing a bang up job.

Channing Tatum as Drake.

I genuinely think that would work. Tatum has that goofy charm (21 Jump St.) coupled with an action screen presence that would make for a really good Drake.

Ridley327

Nathan Fillion practically IS Nathan Drake. If it ever happens, he absolutely needs to be the one playing Drake.

He's in no shape for the kind of stunts that an Uncharted film would undoubtedly have. Maybe 10 years ago, but definitely not now.

Ridley327

This is the same Sony Pictures that passed on the chance to make a God Of War film allowing it to go to rivals Universal and then passed on the film rights to Heavy Rain and Ratchet and Clank.

Keep it up guys. You're doing a bang up job.

To be fair, there is no way in hell of a God of War film being anything remotely like the games; the kind of violence that goes on in them would be an automatic NC-17, and with neutered violence, what would the point be?

J-Man

Nathan Drake will always be high.

This is an unfortunate situation based on their track record, but luckily if it is like written their other movies I can ignore it. I hope it doesn't damage the brand or influence how the game is written (especially if the series leaves NDs hands). But I'm getting way ahead of myself. The movie will probably never be made.

Yeah, Nathan Fillion got a bit tubby. And is all the more bro-dorable for it. But he's too old and outta shape for Drake now.

But he was an awesome Dogberry in Much Ado About Nothing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You should look up the history of the Tomb Raider film to give you an idea of just how crazy the Hollywood system can get with regards to material that is already well-suited for adaptation.

In the case of Uncharted, though, it's the quintessential example of a "cinematic adventure". At least Tomb Raider had the fact it was only loosely defined by its narrative to excuse how much of non-starter the film adaptation was. :p

Why doesn't Amy Hennig just write it?

It seems like the world's most obvious good idea, but, given the success of the mainline Uncharted games, I'd wager Sony doesn't want to pull her off them.

Reule

I suppose I wouldn't mind, it sounds like it could be fun with them on board. I kind of hope James Roday will be Drake in whatever would be Uncharted movie. :)

To be fair, there is no way in hell of a God of War film being anything remotely like the games; the kind of violence that goes on in them would be an automatic NC-17, and with neutered violence, what would the point be?

God of war is even more difficult to imagine as a movie. At best it will be just like clash of the titans and we all know how good that movie was.

Busty

Banned

Eh. That is true but the age of the actual audience that knows about the God Of War games and plays them is definitely younger than 17 for the most part.

I think a 300 esque fantasy actioner is an easy sell. Casting would be an issue but then could probably be a little creative in that regard.

At 42, and a TV star to boot, he's too old to anchor a potential franchise.

Sad but true.

I think they could pull it off. This is the End is a very well written film that actually had surprisingly more depth to it than I was expecting.

As long as they don't get to slapstick with the comedic moments, I think they could do just fine.

Fillion could still play Drake:

550w_gaming_uncharted2thanksg_2.jpg

Sean

Banned

Maybe like twelve years ago. Fillion is too old and out of shape now.

Ridley327

I think they could pull it off. This is the End is a very well written film that actually had surprisingly more depth to it than I was expecting.

As long as they don't get to slapstick with the comedic moments, I think they could do just fine.

Fillion could still play Drake:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

StuBurns

Banned
It seems like the world's most obvious good idea, but, given the success of the mainline Uncharted games, I'd wager Sony doesn't want to pull her off them.
Didn't she write the Vita game?

I bet she could knock out ninety pages of pithy pathos while making UC4.

I totally forgot that the Uncharted movie was happening. It's news to me that it got canceled. When did this happen? I'm glad it did though.

JaseC

Didn't she write the Vita game?

I bet she could knock out ninety pages of pithy pathos while making UC4.

I'm not sure, but if she did write the film, she'd need to be on set throughout filming, too, as scripts see many revisions throughout production. Some things simply don't work out as well as one had imagined, changes in circumstances necessitate scene rewrites, etc.

Edit: Golden Abyss was written by Bend's John Garvin.

In an ideal world Amy Hennig would write it, Naughty Dog would animate it, and the original cast would reprise their roles. I'd love to see a CG short film from them.

I'd rather just play the game if it's going to be CG.

I wouldn't mind Hennig writing it but the chances of that are slim to none.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not sure, but if she did write the film, she'd need to be on set throughout filming, too, as scripts see many revisions throughout production. Some things simply don't work out as well as one had imagined, changes in circumstances necessitate scene rewrites, etc.
Writers on film sets are notoriously redundant, hence the 'like a writer on a movie set' meme, but even so, that's only two months, and she could just pen the drafts until the shooting script, and have someone take over if she can't do it.

Who knows really, I think even doing the film is a bad idea. Having a playable Indiana Jones film is quite a cool idea, but bringing it back to film is going to be embarrassingly transparent.

I doubt it ever happens.

firen

I actually enjoy these two but Green Hornet left a bad enough taste in my mouth that I can't see this happening. That being said This is the End was great!

I'm feeling it. Sort of a Will Ferrell Land of the Lost thing going on.

What else would it be? An Indian Jones ripoff that took itself seriously? gtfoh...

I love their movies but I don't think I want them writing Uncharted. Their comedic sensibilities are very different from the humor in Uncharted games.

JaseC

Writers on film sets are notoriously redundant, hence the 'like a writer on a movie set' meme, but even so, that's only two months, and she could just pen the drafts until the shooting script, and have someone take over if she can't do it.

In the latter case you risk the substitute's vision for the film clashing with Hennig's or the quality of the script being uneven and I assume that's something Sony would want to avoid. That said:

Who knows really, I think even doing the film is a bad idea. Having a playable Indiana Jones film is quite a cool idea, but bringing it back to film is going to be embarrassingly transparent.

I agree with this. It's redundant to make a film out of a video game franchise that chiefly defines itself as a cinematic experience.

I doubt it ever happens.

I'm not to sure; evidently Sony is still trying to get things in order and, who knows, perhaps the pieces - as delightfully odd as they may be -- will come together.

I'd rather just play the game if it's going to be CG.

I wouldn't mind Hennig writing it but the chances of that are slim to none.

That's understandable, but if there's going to be an Uncharted film, I'd want to see an Uncharted film. I don't have a whole lot of faith in Hollywood making a faithful adaption. I imagine the end result will be far removed from what made the games great in the first place - obviously I want to be proven wrong, but we'll see. And as much as I'd like another Uncharted game, I wouldn't necessarily miss playing through lots of gunfights in exchange for a well crafted CG film.

Biff

I only just realized Nathan Fillion used to be way thinner because of this thread.

I saw him in an episode of Castle a few months ago for the first time and thought "THAT'S who NeoGAF wants to play Drake? He kinda looks similar but wtf?"

Now I understand why. Fit Fillion would be an awesome Drake.

Top Bottom