• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Xbox Series X Is Great, But It Needs Games ASAP

Gamepass is doing good work holding me over until any major titles comes out personally. It’s not like it is collecting dust like a PS5 would when I was done with Demon’s Souls.

Honestly I would sell it if I had one and was done playing Souls since you can still make like 2x the money of it used.

Series X is kinda collecting dust for sure when the competition has gems like Demon's Souls or Spiderman Miles Morales.

Who would have thought launching a next gen console whithout a single next gen exclusive could be a bad idea ?

The geniuses at Microsoft apparently couldn't figure it out.

Well If people who buy a PS5 would play those games.
Miles is doing decent, but the vast majority is COD, Fifa and Cyberpunk.

pasterpl

It's possible that while you're trying to quantify what Demon's Souls and Miles Morales are within the gaming space... You're missing the much broader and bigger picture. They are games built to give an early showcase what the console can do in terms of hardware and software.

Don't worry about whether Demon's Souls is a remaster, remake, dlc, or add on. Instead check your gaming channels, main stream media and social media and ask if both it and Miles Morales are helping to drive the conversation, build momentum and maintain that all important mindshare?

isnt miles morales very similar on PS4 pro?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
For anyone who had just an xbox one or ps4, there are are crap ton of 4k upgraded games they need to play right now, many of of which represent a huge upgrade from the 2013 console versions.

For those who had an xbox one x - if you are totally caught up, not a ton to play, a few here and there. If you were behind, its a good thing, now your playing some great 4k enhanced titles with more staple and or 60fps.

For those who upgraded from ps4 pro (or have both), there should be some xbox exclusives to keep you busy for a while.

I haven't personally had any time between my back catalog of unplanned games and ps5 to really care that halo wasn't on time.

It has games, I'm playing the new releases on Gamepass. Unto the End, Morkredd, Call of The Sea, and all the Yakuza games. Also The Medium is coming out in January 2021. It is getting games, but Journalists.. .seem to be ignoring everything that is gamepass related most of the times. Or if its not God of War, or Horizon levels than it doesn't count which seems to be the situation with The Medium, and Ascent ?

The problem with this defence, time and again, is you don't need a $500 console to play them. It's like listing all the PSNow titles on PS5 and saying 'I'm playing tonnes of PS5 games'. Games journos are not biased because they are ignoring these titles, if anything they are being leniant. As this is one of the worst launch line-ups we've had for an Xbox console.

pasterpl

I've got to be honest here. This is a disheartening. Certain people have pushed this narrative for months. Trying to dismiss an IP for whatever reason. Despite the fact that you've seen the game be positioned, marketed, and purchased as a PS5 launch game. You've seen those games help position the PS5 and aid the console in achieving its best-selling launch in PlayStation's history. And move more peripherals than any time in PS history. You've seen those games chart highly from Australia to Brazil and sell out in certain parts of the EU.

But still, this narrative that some have been pushing since early Summer is still a thing? Why? Like... I don't get it? That stage of the consoles life cycle has already been solidified. However you chose to define it as an individual, they're officially PS5 launch games. But some are still trying to argue against solidified history at this point.

Certain hardcore gamers: Miles isn't a full game and it's available on PS4. Demon's Souls is just a remake of a niche title.

Public:
PepperyMassiveLeopard-size_restricted.gif

And yes, I'm using the European PS4 launch gif because as you know, PS5 crushed the PS4 EU launch sales.

it is not an agenda, it is people simply stating facts that ds is a remake of an old game and MM is a PS4 game (with added Rtx and higher res assets on ps5), or are there any gameplay elements that differ these games between generations except graphics?

RPS37

Honestly, Ori 2 was awesome, but I’m not sure where to go next.
Would’ve been Halo, then Cyberpunk, but now...?

LMJ

I always love when an article states something like this only for a bunch of keyboard warriors to jump in with the anecdotal "well I'm playing games" lol

yeah the problem is as great as the XseX's BC support is (God bless you for legacy support MS) you can only advertise it for so long, yeah you can retort with "well the v's exclusive is a remake...but it's still an exclusive (and a damn pretty one too)

What IGN is stating is that MS needs something to entice future buyers besides Gamepass and great BC support, they need those catchy trailer clips of games that scream "damn that's next gen" and I'm sure many will retort with "the exclusives are coming" and yeah lol that's IGN's point!

they look similar (there is no clear generation leap except rtx)

there is no clear generation leap...except the feature that's impossibe last gen lol I get where you're coming from but that gave me the old sensible chuckle :p

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Not singling you out for any other reason than you were last person I saw guilty of it.

I just need something explained to me, because apparently my logic (or lack thereof) just doesn't seem to work with the reality here at GAF.

Is Demon's Souls an entirely new game that is a brand new experience, and just the latest adventure in a long running franchise... Or is it simply a remake?

I haven't played the new one on PS5, but someone needs to explain the difference between this oh so great launch exclusive... and a game that came out in 2009.

While we're at it. Anyone who's attempting that mental gymnastic. Could they also explain to me at what point did Miles Morales become this great god tier launch exclusive rather than a simple standalone expansion?

Demon's Souls remake is arguably the best Souls game right now. It was remade from scratch. It's not the same game at all, it's not a remaster.

Everything is great in it, the lighting, graphics and sounds, the haptics, it's unmatched.

So no, it's not equivalent at all to having nothing.

Neither is Miles Morales, which is a new game following a best seller, so I'm not sure why we should ignore this one too.

Next gen games like Demon's Souls is what's missing on Xbox. Gamepass games can be played on an average pc, you don't need a Series X for that.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I can't wrap my head around people defending Xbox lack of games. I mean.. ..seriously. Even if you like the console (which I do) having a few good first-party launch titles would have been a hell of a lot better.

In this topic, Xbox fans try to convince us that having nothing and having next gen games are the same thing.

Because how dare they having great exclusives at launch.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Unfortunately Phil Spencer did a terrible job managing studios for the past decade and it's gotten to this point. Unfortunately you cannot turn things around in an instant. He's obviously been on a huge buying spree to make up for lost time but many of those investments are still going to take years until new games are released. I think the best that he can do now is try and ensure that Halo Infinite doesn't turn out awful. Ideally, it turns out to be amazing but I don't think many have hope for that.

Xbox Series X just doesn't have the games I want. GamePass is great in theory if I owned an Xbox, but it doesn't cover many of the games I actually buy (day 1 AAA titles).

I just hope Phil's investments the past few years make the Xbox a great place to play exclusives in the mid to latter half of this gen. At that point I may jump in, but for now there's really no need and I think many people are in the same boat.

Phil has fought for the survival of the Xbox gaming division, without him, there wouldn't be an Xbox Series X to begin with.

And he is the one responsible for overtaking the horrible vision of the Xbox One and going into the right direction again.

Krisprolls

Banned

Who has great launch exclusives? The last time i saw a great launch exclusive was March 3, 2017

Demon's Souls remake is a great launch next gen exclusive. Extremely impressive. It's a fact.

It was called by reviewers one of the best launch games of all times. But maybe they're out to get you too.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it isn't average lifetime attachment rate for a console around 20 games?
Hardcore gamers like neogaf may play dozens of games per year but for the average consumer a service like GamePass doesn't mean all that much.

Jon Neu

Banned
I don't have a next gen console yet, but if I had them, the games I would be more impatient to play with would be these two:

Yes, I would rather play those than Demon Souls or Spiderman.

Now that I think about it isn't average lifetime attachment rate for a console around 20 games?
Hardcore gamers like neogaf may play dozens of games per year but for the average consumer a service like GamePass doesn't mean all that much.

That's because casuals don't want to spend that much money on games.

And that's why an Xbox Series S with gamepass makes so much sense. It will give casuals hundreds of games for very little money.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Even ign are hardcore Fanboys now?

Everyone acts like it's critical for xbox not having games, meanwhile xbox owners are enjoying their console with the games they like.

If people were disappointed with the amount of games, people wouldn't have went from xbox one to this gen.

Yes, it works for Sony with their cinematic driven single player games, yet there are people still buying xboxes.

Fanboys acting like its important to be number 1 and acting like fucking hooligans, where for the game companies it about earning money.

Do you all think that seat is about to move out of the car industry because they don't sell as much as Audi?

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Dude, that's a 11 year old prettified game and nothing more.

No, it's not at all. It's the most next gen game existing right now. Rebuilt from scratch. Only the AI was unchanged. Graphics and lighting are unmatched. Sound is extremely impressive, so are haptics. Facts don't care if they hurt you or not.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

OMG i's like xbox one all over again... nothing but promises and no new great games. Plus for your mental wellbeing as (an xbox follower) it's very important to praise Gamepass and forget the psplus collection and PSnow in yout comparison.
PC and PS5 seems like the best option for just about everybody. The unsold series S everywhere seems to tell the same story.

Azurro

Banned
My opinion doesn't have to mean anything to you.

The fact that it's simply a remake isn't an opinion.

The fact that you repeatedly keep claiming you're on your first playthrough, despite the fact that you're really not isn't an opinion either. You just said your first playthrough was in 2009.

But since we're all about opinions here... Just because Sony once again suckered people into buying the same game twice for no other reason than because a new console generation has started, doesn't mean the community as a whole has to believe it's anything more than a remake, in order to make the suckers feel better about their purchase.

You know the conversation is getting stupid when people use semantics as an attack point as above. Fact is Demon's Souls is a fantastic remake of a great very old niche game that people are loving and spending multiple hours playing. PS5 also launched with games like Miles Morales and Sackboy, games that even if they have a PS4 version, the PS5 one provides a much better experience than the last gen versions.

I think people just get emotional about their favourite consoles and get offended that Series X launched with nothing except cross gen games that take little advantage of the machine other than higher res + framerate. That's what people mean when they say it launched with no games.

Now, all that nonsense about gamepass, I checked the games list, it's neat, but a lot of it is very old games and there's a shit ton of filler, indie stuff. I don't get the hype.

HawarMiran

Banned
They are right. They barely had shit in Xbox one Era. Canceled a few games that already looked like they were in developement a few years. Now they start a new generation off with nothing ready? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
FIRE SPENCER :messenger_beaming:

turtlepowa

Banned
No, it's not at all. It's the most next gen game existing right now. Rebuilt from scratch. Only the AI was unchanged. Graphics and lighting are unmatched. 3D sound is extremely impressive, so are haptics. Facts don't care if they hurt you or not.
An old game stays an old game, some visuals don't change that. But looking at your avatar descritpion i get why you try to sell a 2009 remake as the holy grail of next gen gaming.

Krisprolls

Banned
An old game stays an old game, some visuals don't change that. But looking at your avatar descritpion i get why you try to sell a 2009 remake as the holy grail of next gen gaming.

But it's not an "old" game since everything was rebuilt from zero outside of AI and combat mechanics obviously. Reviewers stated the same as what I tell you here, it got 92 metacritic. Go read some Demon's Souls reviews.

No need to try to twist the reality to feel better having zero exclusive on your toy of choice. This game is actually next gen and awesome...

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

How is a remake with gorgeous visuals with multiple quality of life improvements and dual sense integration of a game that only a relatively small number of people played a bad thing?

I don't have a next gen console yet, but if I had them, the games I would be more impatient to play with would be these two:

Yes, I would rather play those than Demon Souls or Spiderman.

That's because casuals don't want to spend that much money on games.

And that's why an Xbox Series S with gamepass makes so much sense. It will give casuals hundreds of games for very little money.

But casuals don't play hundreds of games they play FIFA and GTA.

SkylineRKR

No, it's not at all. It's the most next gen game existing right now. Rebuilt from scratch. Only the AI was unchanged. Graphics and lighting are unmatched. 3D sound is extremely impressive, so are haptics. Facts don't care if they hurt you or not.

I'm not impressed by the 3D sound though. I use the Pulse, and DMCV for example has a 3D sound option and seems to sound correct, its very immersive. In DeS I have a hard time noticing where the sounds come from at times. It doesn't have a 3D sound option either. Its still very immersive and good, but it could be better. Who knows they'll update it.

For the rest, its kind of a difficult subject. DeS is likely my GOTY with Tsushima, but there is more than just AI being unchanged. The animations are pretty much identical too, the gameplay and boss battles do kind of feel backwards compared to DS3. DeS does feel like the 2009 game which is also its strength. Because the overall experience isn't altered, its just being made better. Unlike RE2R and SotC, which I thought were brilliant but did have some changes for the worst, I have no faults with this one.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
They are right. They barely had shit in Xbox one Era. Canceled a few games that already looked like they were in developement a few years. Now they start a new generation off with nothing ready? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
FIRE SPENCER :messenger_beaming:

Ok, but remember Series X is great for backward compatibility. It's the only next gen console fully dedicated to backward compatibility.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I'm not impressed by the 3D sound though. I use the Pulse, and DMCV for example has a 3D sound option and seems to sound correct, its very immersive. In DeS I have a hard time noticing where the sounds come from at times. It doesn't have a 3D sound option either. Its still very immersive and good, but it could be better. Who knows they'll update it.

For the rest, its kind of a difficult subject. DeS is likely my GOTY with Tsushima, but there is more than just AI being unchanged. The animations are pretty much identical too, the gameplay and boss battles do kind of feel backwards compared to DS3. DeS does feel like the 2009 game which is also its strength. Because the overall experience isn't altered, its just being made better. Unlike RE2R and SotC, which I thought were brilliant but did have some changes for the worst, I have no faults with this one.

Well, you had to respect the original classic for sure, obviously, especially in game mechanics. But it really feels 100% next gen.

I loved the sound on Demon's Souls, the dragons really sound incredible. In terms of 3D positioning though, Cyberpunk does it better, you can really feel precisely where every sound comes from (using Pulse headset).

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
But it's not an "old" game since everything was rebuilt from zero outside of AI and combat mechanics obviously. Reviewers stated the same as what I tell you here, it got 92 metacritic. Go read some Demon's Souls reviews.

No need to try to twist the reality to feel better having zero exclusive on your toy of choice. This game is actually next gen and awesome...
I don't need an old game or a DLC to feel better about my plastic toy. I have more than enough real next gen games on my list for this and next year and if i ever feel the need to play prettified last gen or penultimate gen games i have a big selection as well.

How is a remake with gorgeous visuals with multiple quality of life improvements and dual sense integration of a game that only a relatively small number of people played a bad thing?
Never said it's a bad thing, but it's not a really big impact launch exclusive like a Zelda 2017. Not even close.

Azurro

Banned
I don't need an old game or a DLC to feel better about my plastic toy. I have more than enough real next gen games on my list for this and next year and if i ever feel the need to play prettified last gen or penultimate gen games i have a big selection as well.

Never said it's a bad thing, but it's not a really big impact launch exclusive like a Zelda 2017. Not even close.

It's the first time playing it for most people and it feels next gen because of how incredible it looks and how smooth it plays. Just the fact that you guys feel like discrediting the game is credit enough to how good of a title it is, classic response to FOMO.

mrmeh

Series X needs a next gen only AAA system seller game to really show off what it can do. It does not need games in general, there's tons of great games available on game pass that I have no chance of trying that run/load/look better than ever before.

Looking forward to Psychonauts 2, Darktide and Flight simulator this year

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

And nintendo said it is a remake of the first Zelda ....So does it count?

turtlepowa

Banned
It's the first time playing it for most people and it feels next gen because of how incredible it looks and how smooth it plays. Just the fact that you guys feel like discrediting the game is credit enough to how good of a title it is, classic response to FOMO.
I say it's a prettified old niche game, some of you guys try to make it the holy grail of gaming, the best launch exclusive ever. The truth lies somewhere in between, but it's definately nothing like a NEW Zelda was for Switch. Not even in the same universe. And what the hell is FOMO?

And nintendo said it is a remake of the first Zelda ....So does it count?
Did you play those games? Nearly nothing in BOTW reminded me of the Famicom Zelda, i think there is a reason why it has a new name. Also comparing 2d with 3d is brilliant.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I say it's a prettified old niche game, some of you guys try to make it the holy grail of gaming, the best launch exclusive ever. The truth lies somewhere in between, but it's definately nothing like a NEW Zelda was for Switch. Not even in the same universe. And what the hell is FOMO?

Did you play those games? Nearly nothing in BOTW reminded me of the Famicom Zelda, i think there is a reason why it has a new name.
Yep and a remake has to play differently?Is it in the definition?

Top Bottom