• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

This is so fucked. I've pre ordered from the UK so it wouldn't be a simple return for me.
I'm hoping the xbox is more reliable and they learned their lesson from last gen.

It's called a cantilever design. This is not a new innovation, lol. It uses a heavily weighted but uneven support structure to balance the device. This is not cutting corners or being cheap. In fact, it would be cheaper to put shitty plastic feet on all four corners and be done with it but Sony opted not to for aesthetic reasons (as far as I can tell) when the system is vertical. It also gives the appearance the right side of the device is hovering above the table. This indicates they actually thought about this and made a decision to "wobble" the device.

It's not going to move when it's in use. That is the point of the weighting. It shouldn't scratch disks if you press down on it as the disk drive moves a couple mms at most even if you rock the thing up and down. And still if you don't like this decision you can either put it vertical where it is level with the table or you can put like a playing card under the thing.

Wobblegate is truly the most stunning case of media amplification I can think of. It's not a "feature" or whatever but it's not a defect.

Thankyou...

Amused

It's called a cantilever design. This is not a new innovation, lol. It uses a heavily weighted but uneven support structure to balance the device. This is not cutting corners or being cheap. In fact, it would be cheaper to put shitty plastic feet on all four corners and be done with it but Sony opted not to for aesthetic reasons (as far as I can tell) when the system is vertical. It also gives the appearance the right side of the device is hovering above the table. This indicates they actually thought about this and made a decision to "wobble" the device.

It's not going to move when it's in use. That is the point of the weighting. It shouldn't scratch disks if you press down on it as the disk drive moves a couple mms at most even if you rock the thing up and down. And still if you don't like this decision you can either put it vertical where it is level with the table or you can put like a playing card under the thing.

Wobblegate is truly the most stunning case of media amplification I can think of. It's not a "feature" or whatever but it's not a defect.

Quoted for truth.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
All this wobbling shit needs to come to a rest.

From what I can tell they only put feet on one side because that is the heavy side.

Please stop.

Pop

I'm actually considering waiting now. I don't wanna spend 400 and be disappointed and then waste time sending it in. For only 4000 consoles out, this seems like a rather large amount of people, as I'm sure there are those who are not saying anything about it.

ugh

Let's say 10 consoles have messed up for whatever reasons. That still is very very small percentage.

I paid off my console a month ago, I'm going to play it after midnight and hope for the best.

Oh God guys I just pressed down on the side of my cell phone and it wobbled a little bit do you guys think I should send it back to Samsung its probably defective because it's next gen and I have to bitch about something meaningless.

Lol I'll let you Suckers beta test and pay more money. While I hoard PSN+ games, buy a PS4 next year when hopefully issues are resolved with hardware and software as well as more features from firmware updates. Once I buy a PS4 I'll have a backlog of PSN+ freebies to play and won't even have to buy games for a while. Once I am ready to buy games they will be dirt cheap. Love being LEAP and being a cheap ass.

Except you'll need to have a PS4 to stock up on those PS+ PS4 games. Pretty sure they can only be purchased on a PS4.

gruenel

Thanks.

Fdkn

8/4000 = 0.2% failure ratio. (and counting that the twitch guy broke it himself doing stupid things)

Too good to be true, sure there are more broken units because if not, this thing is pure success.

Dre3001

People need to realize the Ps4 and X1 are going to be the first major consoles released in the Twitter/Youtube/ Social media era so there is gonna be tons of stuff out there anytime a system has a defect.

Most electronics like laptops, tvs, consoles, etc have a defective rate of around 3% which is normal. Taco Bell gave out 4000 systems, plus there are probably another 100 or so out there with reviewers, so having 7-8 random people have defective systems does not mean there is a crisis.

Sony has been making hardware forever I doubt they did not test the system out beforehand.

Back when systems launched before the only way people would know is if you complained on a forum to a small audience. Now anyone can go online and make a complaint on twitter, facebook, youtube, etc and have a huge audience.

Heck even Microsoft tried to cover up the RROD the first few years of the 360 until they had a lawsuit thrown at them which made them admit to there being a problem. Just imagine if social media was huge back then, there would be no way to cover it up.

A certain percentage of launch day systems will have defects, they always do. However with social media being as big as it is now, more people will know of the issues.

8/4000 = 0.002% failure ratio. (and counting that the twitch guy broke it himself doing stupid things)

Too good to be true, sure there are more broken units because if not, this thing is pure success.

Too hard to say at the moment

I am positive we will see more examples though...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wii u also launched with social media being huge but I'm not sure there were any early release consoles.

Dre3001

Wii u also launched with social media being huge but I'm not sure there were any early release consoles.

Didn't Wii U if I recall have a large issue with bricking consoles due to a firmware update?

Not to mention there were tons of posts criticizing the battery length of the Wii u Gamepad.

zebwinz

I'm hoping this problem was just a mishap by those people. Maybe they didn't have it in all the way. Or the hdmi cord Sony gives us just doesn't fit right or others didn't put it in tight enough.

IGN used different HDMI cords and found that it was definitely the port on the console.

It's going to be, even if PS4's failure rate is lower than PS3's one.

Yeah im pretty sure there will be an RROD gate next week but the chances seem slim given how big and open the X1 box seems and they just slap an big fan on it.
Bit too soon to say failure rates are lower. A 4k samples with multiple millions getting shipped and sold the rest of the year.

Wobblegate stuff is just stupid who gives a fuck get one of those sticky things you can stick under a chair and be done with it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It happens for sure. These are real failures and not fud or whatever. I'm just asking people to have perspective. If the consoles are failing for different reasons, that's actually good too.

The hdmi port died on my launch ps3 and I had to exchange it in July 2007. It happens.

Ganondolf

Didn't Wii U if I recall have a large issue with bricking consoles due to a firmware update?

Not to mention there were tons of posts criticizing the battery length of the Wii u Gamepad.

the wii u crashed a couple of times but they did an update that fixed it. I don't recall any of the machines getting bricked but I could be wrong.

the gamepad has a low 3-5hr (I found 3-3.5hrs) battery life. this is not a defect but just that it has small battery length (like the 3ds).

It can't be, nobody can afford those kinds of losses in this industry ever again. It'll be disastrous.

Unfortunately its going to happen. Better to pay 400 than paying 600 and getting a faulty unit though. I hope these are just random defective units that were not handled well during shipping to the owners.

Jigolo

i don't understand the over reacting, this is a hardware launch. specifically a console launch. if theres anything to take from previous console launches, it's that there are faulty units

this was expected

Is this really a surprise? I mean, really? We all knew the shortcuts Sony took to beat MS to the starting gate. Frankly, I would have been surprised if the launch occurred without a hiccup.

Yep, as small as the chance is, buying a while down the line will help me save my consoles. My PS3/Xbox/Wii are still going strong.

Nothing to worry about.

If my launch PS4 is toast, I will just swear to never buy another Sony console ever again and buy an Xbox One.

Just like I did when my third 360 RROD and I bought a PS3.

hwalker84

Unless this is widespread I say buy with confidence. It seems like they're producing them at a reasonable pace. I doubt there will be issues getting a replacement.

foxbeldin

People need to realize the Ps4 and X1 are going to be the first major consoles released in the Twitter/Youtube/ Social media era so there is gonna be tons of stuff out there anytime a system has a defect.

Most electronics like laptops, tvs, consoles, etc have a defective rate of around 3% which is normal. Taco Bell gave out 4000 systems, plus there are probably another 100 or so out there with reviewers, so having 7-8 random people have defective systems does not mean there is a crisis.

Sony has been making hardware forever I doubt they did not test the system out beforehand.

Back when systems launched before the only way people would know is if you complained on a forum to a small audience. Now anyone can go online and make a complaint on twitter, facebook, youtube, etc and have a huge audience.

Heck even Microsoft tried to cover up the RROD the first few years of the 360 until they had a lawsuit thrown at them which made them admit to there being a problem. Just imagine if social media was huge back then, there would be no way to cover it up.

A certain percentage of launch day systems will have defects, they always do. However with social media being as big as it is now, more people will know of the issues.

I agree with everything here. Nowadays, anyone with a faulty hardware can make it a worldwide known issue within a few minutes.
8 reports are not that much. Could be 20x more faulty consoles, it would remain standard numbers.

And when the console releases tomorrow, we'll hear about hundreds of cases, and it will be normal. X1 will have it's fair share too, it's just how electronics work (or how they don't work actually)

Let's just hope the part of faulty consoles won't go through the roof like the old rrod times, and we'll be okay. Worst thing that could happen is if you had to replace the replacement, and over again.

It happens for sure. These are real failures and not fud or whatever. I'm just asking people to have perspective. If the consoles are failing for different reasons, that's actually good too.

The hdmi port died on my launch ps3 and I had to exchange it in July 2007. It happens.

Doesn't matter how many people caution a calm and rational approach here. Some people are just going to walk around with a sandwich board around them yelling 'the end is nigh'.

It's Y2K all over again...

SWIDT?

the wii u crashed a couple of times but they did an update that fixed it. I don't recall any of the machines getting bricked but I could be wrong.

the gamepad has a low 3-5hr (I found 3-3.5hrs) battery life. this is not a defect but just that it has small battery length (like the 3ds).

WiiU had some issues but only because many users turned off the console (or it crashed) during the first update.

Rourkey

I know a good idea to avoid being without being with a console for a few days while it's being replaced/repaired, don't buy one at all! Genius

Curufinwe

Half the HDMI ports on my $1000 Samsung TV were dead three months after I bought it in 2009. They sent out a guy to fix them, but it was still stressful. Anyone who has hardware issues has my sympathy because it sucks.

Hyunashi

Unless this is widespread I say buy with confidence. It seems like they're producing them at a reasonable pace. I doubt there will be issues getting a replacement.

The hilarious thing is that if someone does not want their console, there will definitely be someone out there that will gladly take it.

cebri.one

It can't be, nobody can afford those kinds of losses in this industry ever again. It'll be disastrous.

Well i'm not saying is going to be RROD all over again, just that even if PS4 failure rate is within the standars of the average electronic device, social media is going to magnify the problems.

Top Bottom