• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Curufinwe

Is this really a surprise? I mean, really? We all knew the shortcuts Sony took to beat MS to the starting gate. Frankly, I would have been surprised if the launch occurred without a hiccup.

What shortcuts are these? And they beat MS by one whole week in two countries, not that facts seem to be something you're interested in.

NIGHT-

I still expect the ps4 to have a lot more issues than the x1. Ms really put a lot of work in their design to prevent a prest of last gen.

This is why you don't sign up to be a beta tester for hardware; beta testing for software, sure but don't like it, but beta testing for hardware isn't cool. It's best to wait in these situations.

Krisprolls

Banned
Until you know there are widespread issues and it's not an acceptable failure rate, it's a lot of noise about nothing.

Fact : every consumer electronics product has a small default rate. Not finding broken PS4s would be extremely unusual.

People need to realize the Ps4 and X1 are going to be the first major consoles released in the Twitter/Youtube/ Social media era so there is gonna be tons of stuff out there anytime a system has a defect.

Most electronics like laptops, tvs, consoles, etc have a defective rate of around 3% which is normal. Taco Bell gave out 4000 systems, plus there are probably another 100 or so out there with reviewers, so having 7-8 random people have defective systems does not mean there is a crisis.

Sony has been making hardware forever I doubt they did not test the system out beforehand.

Back when systems launched before the only way people would know is if you complained on a forum to a small audience. Now anyone can go online and make a complaint on twitter, facebook, youtube, etc and have a huge audience.

Heck even Microsoft tried to cover up the RROD the first few years of the 360 until they had a lawsuit thrown at them which made them admit to there being a problem. Just imagine if social media was huge back then, there would be no way to cover it up.

A certain percentage of launch day systems will have defects, they always do. However with social media being as big as it is now, more people will know of the issues.

Exactly. Mnor issues will look larger due to the echo chamber effect of social media.

flkraven

People kept on saying that Microsoft and Sony switched places for next gen with their focus. It'd be only fitting if Sony adopted the early 360 failure rate as well.

Pain

Banned
Hopefully this is all resolved when the EU release is upon us.... whatever the problem is.
The problem is faulty consoles. Unless you're extremely unlucky, this shouldn't be a problem.

There's 7 reported incidents out of thousands of PS4s out there. Nothing to panic about yet.

Pain

Banned
Is this really a surprise? I mean, really? We all knew the shortcuts Sony took to beat MS to the starting gate. Frankly, I would have been surprised if the launch occurred without a hiccup.
These are isolated in incidents. Calm down.

For shits and giggles we should keep a tally on faulty units.

foxbeldin

Hardware i own (or will soon) :

Nintendo's WiiU had update sleep mode bricks -> solved with fw update and/or disabling sleepmode before updating
Bricks needed to be replaced or repaired.

Sony's Vita had random bricks -> solved with fw update

Sony's XperiaZ had random bricks on reboot -> solved with fw update (funny thing is mine bricked while rebooting in order to install the said update)

Sony's PS3 had random bricks with a few updates, solved by pulling the update and putting a fresh one.

Microsoft's 360 had a lot of bricks, hardware design failure.

Sony's PS4 -> ?

It's just how it is with hardware.

hmm...I don't think so. If you cancelled the first update it downloaded (and installed) itself in the backgorund. Many users didn't know this.

Well that's what the report i read said at the time. I spent a whole night touching the screen while the update was downloading (excrutiatingly slow) to prevent this.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I am not about to claim this is RROD level - but anybody who is not worried about these failures when the console hasn't been released is being disingenuous. There are only a limited numbers of these things out there right now - its either really bad luck or an issue.

Hopefully mine is smooth sailing

Owzers

Lots of airflow wouldn't help Xbox one from hdmi port or firmware problems. Everytime there is a firmware update we hear a couple people having their system screwed up.

I want my ps4 to live, these problems are troubling Xo.

I still expect the ps4 to have a lot more issues than the x1. Ms really put a lot of work in their design to prevent a prest of last gen.

MS's unit has more ways it can fail. They have the main console and kinect. Either one fails and people will be bitching. Both made in the same country that Sony's console was.

Pain

Banned
People need to realize the Ps4 and X1 are going to be the first major consoles released in the Twitter/Youtube/ Social media era so there is gonna be tons of stuff out there anytime a system has a defect.

Most electronics like laptops, tvs, consoles, etc have a defective rate of around 3% which is normal. Taco Bell gave out 4000 systems, plus there are probably another 100 or so out there with reviewers, so having 7-8 random people have defective systems does not mean there is a crisis.

Sony has been making hardware forever I doubt they did not test the system out beforehand.

Back when systems launched before the only way people would know is if you complained on a forum to a small audience. Now anyone can go online and make a complaint on twitter, facebook, youtube, etc and have a huge audience.

Heck even Microsoft tried to cover up the RROD the first few years of the 360 until they had a lawsuit thrown at them which made them admit to there being a problem. Just imagine if social media was huge back then, there would be no way to cover it up.

A certain percentage of launch day systems will have defects, they always do. However with social media being as big as it is now, more people will know of the issues.
Stop being reasonable and participate in the console wars!

Shortcuts? The Feb event already said they were launching this year, and any sane person would realise they would launch before Black Friday in US.

Unless you think that in manufacturing, you can 'shortcut' your way to launch a week earlier. If you think that way, you need to get a job in manufacturing, because you'd be paid millions to implore that wisdom.

That twitch guy... He made me feel bad for everyone working in tech support. Who is dumb enough to pull out the HDD when the console is still on.

Am so glad euro got delayed now, they got 2 weeks to fix this shit!

You don't think a console that will be in your hands in two weeks isn't already manufactured? Let's be honest, the consoles that will ship in the supposed infamous bundles next year are already manufactured or being manufactured. Even if there is an issue, I would bet it's close to a year before a console with a fix is hitting shelves. Just think how long it took for Jasper 360's to hit retail. You really don't think they were working on a fix for a long time?

jwhit28

I don't have any hope for any of these consoles to last from launch until the next generation after the last 8 years.

Pain

Banned
I am not about to claim this is RROD level - but anybody who is not worried about these failures when the console hasn't been released is being disingenuous. There are only a limited numbers of these things out there right now - its either really bad luck or an issue.

Social media + console wars = Recipe for disaster

Be reasonable. If you get it yourself, then you can make a big deal about it.

Shortcuts? The Feb event already said they were launching this year, and any sane person would realise they would launch before Black Friday in US.

Unless you think that in manufacturing, you can 'shortcut' your way to launch a week earlier. If you think that way, you need to get a job in manufacturing, because you'd be paid millions to implore that wisdom.

Yeah, if anything I think all the initial reports were that the Xbox one was the one that was rushing to get the console out, not the PS4. Not that I put to much stock into those either.

Pain

Banned
You don't think a console that will be in your hands in two weeks isn't already manufactured? Let's be honest, the consoles that will ship in the supposed infamous bundles next year are already manufactured or being manufactured. Even if there is an issue, I would bet it's close to a year before a console with a fix is hitting shelves. Just think how long it took for Jasper 360's to hit retail. You really don't think they were working on a fix for a long time?
Why are you bringing up RROD? This is completely different. It's a faulty HDMI port. If you have one of the defective models you'll know right away since there will be no signal to the TV. Plus there's a 1 year warranty.

If these issues scare you, cancel your preorder right now. Wait for the Slim version which will be the best version of these consoles.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
This thread sure knows how to kill some of my hype.

fuck it though. this party is going to start with or without defects. and i want to party.

AmyS

Glad I decided to hold off getting a PS4 anytime this year.

If I get a PS4 it won't be until April / spring. Hopefully the first manufactured batches of PS4 will have been sold and Sony will have resolved any major/significant problems with both the hardware and PSN, by then.

Will be watching the situation. Closely.

A company who's bread-and-butter are making hardware puts in less work into their design to prevent hardware failure problems, because you know... they're a hardware company.

Okay.jpg

Bit worried, and I will let the US test this out for the next few weeks - if it is widespread I may just delay my purchase until next spring.

If the launch bundle wasn't such a deal I probably would have waited anyway.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
There are a couple bad eggs in the bunch. What percentage of them is remains to be seen.

Regardless, I have faith in Sony's one year warranty lol.

Madchad

MS still under embargo :/

Would of thought they would push out some info if they were not having issues to capitalize on these bits of news. Guess their ship has holes too :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace

the only reason to be worried is if you have a broken PS4 (or xbox one) at launch - will the retailer have any spare to swap them over for you? You might be waiting a little while without a console. And at launch, when you're all hyped up, that's the last thing you want.

Why are you bringing up RROD? This is completely different. It's a faulty HDMI port. If you have one of the defective models you'll know right away since there will be no signal to the TV. Plus there's a 1 year warranty.

If these issues scare you, cancel your preorder right now. Wait for the Slim version which will be the best version of these consoles.

First of all, I don't have any concerns, I brought that up in response to someone who thinks a hardware issue can be solved in two weeks. Second, faulty HDMI ports are only one of the issues people are having. Taking out your HDD and restarting your console would not fix a faulty HDMI port. Also it seems that in most of these examples the consoles stopped working after some time playing, not broken out of the box.

cmgfender

Banned

I agree with this, to an extent.

Its not like this is the first piece of hardware ever launched with social media. You never see apple products or smartphones that DO in fact have failure rates all over social media about the problems. HOWEVER, these console launches are much more high profile, so i think my point here is kind of moot.

That said, three major publications (giant bomb (i think, they said they had issues didnt they?), kotaku, and ign) (parentheses) all experiencing issues? That raises a pretty big red flag to me.

I really hope both consoles launch with a few hitches as possible.

Pain

Banned
I'm actually considering waiting now. I don't wanna spend 400 and be disappointed and then waste time sending it in. For only 4000 consoles out, this seems like a rather large amount of people, as I'm sure there are those who are not saying anything about it.

ugh
7 out of 4000 or so is only about 0.2% failure rate. That's way below the industry standard failure rate.

Top Bottom