• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

"A handful of people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4
systems. This is within our expectations for a new product introduction,
and the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.
We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these
are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch."
-Sony 2013

"A handful of people have reported issues with their Xbox 360 consoles. Failure rates are within our expectations for a new product introduction... We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but reports show these are isolated incidents ...."
-Microsoft, 2005

Shit

Frumix

Suffering From Success
-Sony 2013

"A handful of people have reported issues with their Xbox 360 consoles. Failure rates are within our expectations for a new product introduction... We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but reports show these are isolated incidents ...."
-Microsoft, 2005

What do you expect them to say? Everybody panic?

So everyone is complaining about 10 out of 4000 going bad? Some hardware difficulties are expected it's a new console and manufacturing errors do occur. Just be happy it comes with a year warranty and you can add on an additional 2 for just $50 bucks. No biggie people Sony will come through.
I think the problem is that it's been 10 reported so far and it's only been out for what, one or two days?

I just hope this really isn't an issue for the majority of owners, because it would suck to be one of the unlucky ones with a faulty console at launch.

Vizzeh

Banned
-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

They did say it is not a singular fault, they are varied and to be expected, nothing to indicate a widespread issue.

meanspartan

-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

Meh I am pretty sure this sort of response is standard for this sort of thing in all tech companies. Sometimes it turns out to indeed be small, sometimes not. We'll see.

d0nd

Please do. Need some balance for all the negativity.

Some people just aren't happy until they have something to worry about. "Oh, is my PS4 gonna brick like those people on the internet?" "Is Best Buy gonna give away my preorder?" "Am I gonna get mugged like I saw that one white guy on the news?"

Someday I want somebody to explain to me how they live like that. I'd end it yesterday if I couldn't control those thoughts.

will do, good or bad.

soon as i get home from the midnight launch

i'll boot it up

then we will see, was there TB winners in canada?

Jburton

Banned
-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

Big jump your making friend, absolutely nothing from the past two days that point to a scenario that is in any way close to RROD.

Mental.

-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

Oh shit son. Almost word-for-word.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

Where did you find this statement from Microsoft?

kurbaan

Banned
-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

Except the system was actually out in mass at the time for the 360. only a few people have a ps4 yet.

sunofsam

-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

giphy.gif

poisonelf

So it turns out the percentage of faulty machines, as officially confirmed by a Sony rep to IGN, is at 0.4%, which is more or less the number people were expecting based on social media reported cases (well, the ones not panicking and/or not trolling).

That's interesting actually, turns out more people rush to social media to report such failures than assumed?
Sony logically bases this number on support requests, so about half of the existing, recognized by their owners, cases have also shared the problem to some form of social media.

Rey

A Sony representative has provided the following statement to IGN:

"A handful of people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4 systems. This is within our expectations for a new product introduction, and the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch.

There have been several problems reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of systems. The number of affected systems represents less than .04% of shipped units to date, which is within our expectations for a new product introduction.

Well duhh, not all of the shipped units are sold and in use now are they? Am I reading this wrong? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So it turns out the percentage of faulty machines, as officially confirmed by a Sony rep to IGN, is at 0.4%, which is more or less the number people were expecting based on social media reported cases (well, the ones not panicking and/or not trolling).

That's interesting actually, turns out more people rush to social media to report such failures than assumed?
Sony logically bases this number on support requests, so about half of the existing, recognized by their owners, cases have been also shared the problem to some form of social media.

There's also a thing called the vocal minority.

-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

black-guys-reaction-gif.gif

bigmf

FFS. There will be at least one (likely many) XBox one failures reported through social media. It will garner more attention and negative rumblings than the PS4 failures due to prior history.

At this point we can't make any reliable conclusions about failure rates for either console.

jiggles

Banned
Obviously, as someone with an EU preorder, I hope that any systemic fault would be the result of a single bad batch, assuming all the Taco Bell consoles came from the same shipment.

Marvel

could never
-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

l4yq.gif

Crisco

Banned
Honestly, I'd take any sort of statistical data from Sony with a grain of salt. These people didn't even know PS3 owners used DLNA. I don't think this is a widespread problem, but that's based purely on common sense, not PR.

-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005
Heh, i was just thinking Sony's PR sounded awfully familiar. There must be some PR template response handbook or something for faulty hardware.

Is MS quote real?

Kyon

Banned
-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

I searched on google and Microsoft never said that

-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

Why would you make shit up? You do know GAF is notorious about showing the other end of the stick for making shit up, right?

If Sony's statistics are correct, then this a great example of how anecdote trumps large scale statistics.

Define "shipped" though. Statistics can be tuned to how you see fit.

Truth will come out in the next three days if there is a noticable issue or not, but 0.04% says there is "Four failures per 10,000 units shipped" and we know there is more then four, and I really doubt 20,000 units are out in the wild being used right now...

Just wait folks.

sunofsam

Colbert, please tell me you did not just make that up.

Not the same quote, but this is from this article dated Feb 14, 2007

But the platform holder went on to concede: "That being said, we have received a few isolated reports of consoles not working as expected.

"It's important to note that there is no systemic issue with Xbox 360 - each incident is unique and these customer inquiries are being handled on a case-by-case basis."

Microsoft has not revealed details of how many Xbox 360 units have been found faulty, but did state that the return rate is "significantly lower" than the CE industry average of between 3 and 5 per cent.

"Customer satisfaction is our highest priority, and we do everything we can to take care of gamers who may be having problems with their consoles," the company said.

Powercast

-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005

oh wow lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
-Sony 2013

-Microsoft, 2005
You have 30 minutes to produce the source.

Vizzeh

Banned
Sony says 0.04%.. and if the 10+ we have are really confirmed (may never know for sure), that number would already be wrong.

0.04% is even better, they did say shipped, not switched on. Who knows how they work this figure out, atleast, is it consoles in use thats been shipped, or inc consoles in transport.

Wasnt the 360 something like 36% or something daft (edit: perhaps this figure was lifetime RROD from launch), someone correct me if Im wrong but seen a similar figure, in comparison, this is nothing, infact its well bellow expected.

poisonelf

There's also a thing called the vocal minority.

Well, yes, but thanks to that vocal minority, we essentially got a very close estimate of the actual percentage through anecdotal evidence and various posts and videos. Unless you meant something else?

That's what I find interesting. Social media age indeed.

Oh, and in case I was misunderstood, this is obviously a very low percentage of failed machines for a launch.

Jedi2016

So maybe it's not the same issue but I assumed we were considering it to be something wrong with the HDMI ports at this point.
That's one of them, yes.

Based on the symptoms, a few of the reported failures appear to have a problem with the solder connections of the HDMI port to the system board. Hence the corrupted graphics, and the temporary "fix" of pushing down on the system case, which forces the loose solder connections together. That's a hardware issue, no doubt.

The lockups you describe sound like something different from other reported issues. My first guess would be a problem with the firmware/software that's driving the main UI, since that's the only place it happens (maybe have your friend wipe the HDD and restore everything from scratch using the recovery/update files from Sony, see if that helps). Which is also quite different from the "Blue Light of Death" where the system can't boot properly, which I believe is also a software issue.

So we're actually seeing a pretty wide range of failures, albeit in small numbers for each. That's actually good news, as it means they really are just isolated incidents and not indicative of a single larger design or manufacturing issue. The only one that would really classify as that is the apparent HDMI issue, but that's only shown up in a handful of instances so far... three, I think, maybe four?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Colbert, please tell me you did not just make that up.

This is pretty much all I could find on MS responding to RROD:

"It's important to note that there is no systemic issue with Xbox 360 - each incident is unique and these customer inquiries are being handled on a case-by-case basis."

Microsoft has not revealed details of how many Xbox 360 units have been found faulty, but did state that the return rate is "significantly lower" than the CE industry average of between 3 and 5 per cent.

"Customer satisfaction is our highest priority, and we do everything we can to take care of gamers who may be having problems with their consoles," the company said.

"Anybody having an issue with their Xbox 360 console should call customer service immediately so that we can help. Microsoft voluntarily provides customers with a one year manufacturer's warranty in the UK which operates over and above the legally required retailer warranty for all consumer goods."

Top Bottom