• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

keit4

Banned
So of my two friends that got ps4s yesterday one is now dead. It's doing the same thing as the video posted with the flickering if pressure is applied to the top of the case otherwise it shows nothing.

My other friend has reported his locking up twice during the menus as well.

Well, that's too much to be a coincidence.

Pain

Banned
believing them= smh

Even if there isnt a widespread problem .04% is WELL below what the actual failure rate will be just based on averages and modern production
Believing Sony right now is much better than participating in the flame wars and panic going on right now.

Hopefully once people get their PS4s and it works, this will blow over.

0.04% assumes over 25,000 units in circulation with just 10 failures. Must be 0.4%, not the smaller figure.

May be a misprint, but Sony's statement said "shipped" so they could be defining the total amount they are "analyzing" as who knows what.

Like I mentioned earlier, everyone should just proceed as normal, and if there is an issue, we'll know in the next few days. No reason to panic and no reason to ask Sony what's going on. They probably don't know yet themselves.

No, he made up a quote to show how this is "just like RROD!!!" to feed into more insanity. Look at the people who quoted him. If we want to have a thread where people can list off failures one by one, we can knock ourselves out but I am tired of the crap.

I guess the fact that the words in the MS response are *exactly* the same made the sarcasm pretty obvious to me.

Krakn3Dfx

I don't expect this to end up being a widespread issue, Taco Bell gave out 4500+ PS4s during their contest, and assume another 100 to journalists.Let's assume 60% of those people haven't received their Taco Bell PS4, haven't hooked it up yet, or wouldn't come online and post about it if their out of the box PS4 was boned, that leaves around 1850 people, and assuming around 19 of those people had PS4s go belly up, that's still 1% of the total. Bump that up to 5%, which is still considered a pretty low defect rate, that would be 95 people.

I feel like if this were a more widespread issue we would have heard a lot more than a random person here and there equaling less than 10 at this point.

Zyae

So we should expect the worst and not believe the PR at all?
That's not a great way of thinking.

no, but its obviously just a PR statement. Come on use your head, .04% failure rate isnt even possible in modern electronics

Anyone knowing statistics should question that Sony 0.04%; they are twisting some number around to achieve that. Unless you believe there are 10s of thousands of PS4's being accounted in their survey. That is why they said "shipped" which is a huge, undefined term.
What about demo units in game stop /best buy. Do those count

Steel

Banned
I remember this bullshit, MS were so full of shit during the early stages of the RROD crisis, so much denial was flowing out of their mouths. They are so damn lucky that social media was not very big back then.

6 360's, 6 bloody 360's which dyed on me because of this overheating crap.

Ouch I only had 3, and I fixed my 2nd one like 8 times, which in turn voided the warranty. I feel your pain.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They're saying the reporting is affecting that percentage of units, not that the failure rate of the whole batch is .04%.

N.Domixis

Banned
it's not even speculative... it's literally just "tales from my ass" math..

the MS statement from RRoD is well played however.. lol. Still, you'd THINK Sony would have learned from MS' hard lesson and would choose not to repeat that mistake.

Think about what you just said. Unless you somehow think SONY can replicate ps4s down to the subatomic level to where every single system is a 100% exact match, there will always be faulty units.

Valnen

Foxconn!!

I'm seriously considering selling my PS4 now...

Even at extremely low failure rates you'll still have a lot of dead units. It doesn't matter when you buy the console, there's always a chance. Even at 0.4%, that's still 4000 dead PS4's out of a million (assuming I did the math correctly...).

diggler41

If this 0.04% stays accurate its an awesome and proud number considering these stats:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2009/08/17/report-xbox-360-failure-rate-reaches-54

54% failure rate on Xbox...

Yes its not exactly helpful, but this just shows how ridiculous we are being here with blowing this out of proportion with a few consoles not working, well bellow the industry standard according to wikipedia of 3-4% of electronics

Holy shit. I never knew it was that high. The true peoples champ of hardware failures.

Loudninja

I don't expect this to end up being a widespread issue, Taco Bell gave out 4500+ PS4s during their contest, and assume another 100 to journalists.Let's assume 60% of those people haven't received their Taco Bell PS4, haven't hooked it up yet, or wouldn't come online and post about it if their out of the box PS4 was boned, that leaves around 1850 people, and assuming around 19 of those people had PS4s go belly up, that's still 1% of the total. Bump that up to 5%, which is still considered a pretty low defect rate, that would be 95 people.

I feel like if this were a more widespread issue we would have heard a lot more than a random person here and there equaling less than 10 at this point.
Also I am not just going to trust random reddict pots or twitter posts.

0.04% of "shipped" units. Well duh, 99.9% of shipped units are sitting on store shelves (or in warehouses) waiting to be purchased. It's a great way to spin the number, though.

sunofsam

So your maybe insinuating it was where he sourced information for his made up quote?

I don't even know what I'm insinuating. Maybe he shouldn't have used quotes on his made up comment; however Microsoft did throw down a similar (maybe not word for word) PR line.

I'm not defending him, just sayin - this been said before.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh my god, that was a joke I found in a blog .... Copy/paste....
Please don't post things like that again. Thank you.

Sony: ps4 is fine, shut up

Hindenburg commander: everything is fine, shut up

See what I'm getting it?

Pain

Banned
So of my two friends that got ps4s yesterday one is now dead. It's doing the same thing as the video posted with the flickering if pressure is applied to the top of the case otherwise it shows nothing.

My other friend has reported his locking up twice during the menus as well.
Suspicious junior is suspicious.
Can you provide some kind of proof?

King_Moc

Banned
If we've only got 10 cases so far, then what's the problem? Isn't this pretty normal for a new hardware launch? Seems to me like this is paranoia left over from Microsoft's red ring fiasco. Seems a little unfair to jump on top of a completely different company because of that. You won't know if there is a genuine fault for weeks. Personally, i'm assuming that Sony actually tested them.

You have 30 minutes to produce the source.

His point made sense to me. To summarize the joke, we will know nothing until a million consoles are in people's hands in the next week. So PR making PR statements means nothing.

and for historical note, Microsoft did claim, even the week after launch when reports of problems began popping up, that nothing was out of the norm. If we don't hear a rash of reported broken consoles a week from now, things should be just fine.

Talk about overreactions in here, jeez relax.

tumblr_mgmvr0bjRP1s2gg27o1_400.gif

I wonder if Sonys "shipped units" includes todays shipments...because those PS4s are shipped but they havent been played so we have no idea if they have any issues yet. Their PR did the right thing by saying that but Im still cautiously optimistic.

indeed, most of the units "shipped" are still in distribution, warehouses, or shop stock areas. It's a meaningless bit of PR.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Umm you do know all electronics have failure rates right?

of course I do. My point is that just throwing numbers out there for the fuck of it accomplishes nothing. Unless of course someone here is actually a QA engineer at a consumer electronics company routinely familiar with the failure rate on product launches with millions of units shipped. If so I'll gladly listen to what they have to say.

diggler41

If we've only got 10 cases so far, then what's the problem? Isn't this pretty normal for a new hardware launch? Seems to me like this is paranoia left over from Microsoft's red ring fiasco. Seems a little unfair to jump on top of a completely different company because of that. You won't know if there is a genuine fault for weeks. Personally, i'm assuming that Sony actually tested them.

I hate to actually type these words ugghh but we are in a age of social media where the vocal minority has never been louder.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I guess Sony's number is from tech support contacts vs those put out in the wild.

If accurate then this has been a big case of internet amplification.

But I guess people are touchy after last gen, RROD etc.

Man, why are people already saying this is RROD again already? I really hope they're just kidding when they say that because if you're serious then wow.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Think about what you just said. Unless you somehow think SONY can replicate ps4s down to the subatomic level to where every single system is a 100% exact match, there will always be faulty units.

I was referring to MS' initial PR handling of RRoD, not the actual defect itself. If anything I wouldn't even call RRoD the most widespread gaming defect ever. Pretty sure damn near 100% of launch Playstations had the magnets that were susceptible to heat from the system.

I find this very true. It is amazing they still chugged along after all the RROD. I went through 3 myself.

Supposedly some people went through as much as 10 360's, that could be nonsense though, I don;t think anyone could make it that high. I was at breaking point when no.6 died, by no.10 I would have been seeing red.

Parapraxis

I really hope this issue is mostly relegated to the "first batch" and not to when production went into full swing.

Is it possible the ones sent out for gaming sites and contests could have been a little rushed, and didn't get proper testing?

Cth

You left out the ones on Ebay and Craigslist :)

Point being, it's too early to draw any conclusions.

This weekend, go nuts.

Have the people freaking out never been through a hardware launch before? Calm the eff down, it'll be ok.

Unless you're one of the people whose console broke. Then you're entitled to freak out a little bit.

pestul

Again, to put it into perspective how ridiculous Sony's % is.. it would imply that if they ship 2 million consoles, only 800 of them would be defective.

Not a chance. They must have meant 0.4% at least.

PJV3

No, he made up a quote to show how this is "just like RROD!!!" to feed into more insanity. Look at the people who quoted him. If we want to have a thread where people can list off failures one by one, we can knock ourselves out but I am tired of the crap.

You know somebody here probably has a map and is logging the status of all known PS4's.
Gaming is a passion.

I guess Sony's number is from tech support contacts vs those put out in the wild.

If accurate then this has been a big case of internet amplification.

But I guess people are touchy after last gen, RROD etc.

It specifically says "shipped" units. Like I said, the vast majority of those are sitting in boxes, yet to be opened.

King_Moc

Banned
Holy shit. I never knew it was that high. The true peoples champ of hardware failures.

That was 2009. It would have ended up even higher. The problem with the launch units got worse as you used them, it had to be higher. It was a design mess up. Any launch unit that was played enough, would eventually break. I think the problem stayed in there until the slim model, though they improved it a bit with the Jasper model i think.

0.04% of "shipped" units. Well duh, 99.9% of shipped units are sitting on store shelves (or in warehouses) waiting to be purchased. It's a great way to spin the number, though.

Came here to post this.

We'll have a much better idea of how widespread it is this time tomorrow.

I also agree that 0.04% failure rate would be spectacular for a new product like this, and it is almost guaranteed to be much higher.

Vizzeh

Banned

Yeah frightning, from that link:

Console failure rate

Xbox 360 – 54.2%
Playstation 3 – 10.6%
Wii – 6.8%

Percentage of console owners who suffered a second hardware failure after the original repair.

Xbox 360 – 41.2%
Playstation 3 – 14.7%
Wii – 11%

Percentage of respondents whose friends have had console hardware failures.

Xbox 360 – 69.9%
Playstation 3 – 12.4%
Wii – 6%

So at 0.04% (so far) and industry standard at 3-4%...... we are perfectly okay :) - and would actually be proud numbers

Top Bottom