• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

I don't expect this to end up being a widespread issue, Taco Bell gave out 4500+ PS4s during their contest, and assume another 100 to journalists.Let's assume 60% of those people haven't received their Taco Bell PS4, haven't hooked it up yet, or wouldn't come online and post about it if their out of the box PS4 was boned, that leaves around 1850 people, and assuming around 19 of those people had PS4s go belly up, that's still 1% of the total. Bump that up to 5%, which is still considered a pretty low defect rate, that would be 95 people.

I feel like if this were a more widespread issue we would have heard a lot more than a random person here and there equaling less than 10 at this point.

Hopefully it stays this low. Even if it 1%, which as said is typical for electronics, that's still going to be at least 15,000 people in the next few weeks. Even if it's less than that, those people can make a lot of noise and bad news normally beats out good news.

Good luck Sony. Hopefully this doesn't become widespread

jond76

Banned
Lets have fun!!

mwyw.gif

MS are probably gloating and laughing their asses off right now, this couldn't have come at a better time for them lol. There goes that PS4 domination in the US rofl. This is fucking PR win for MS, and a PR disaster for Sony, right when the console is about to launch in their most important market at the moment.

XBOX ONE, the console that won't breakdown on you!

Trust us, we've learnt our lesson from the RROD fiasco!

Sony hasn't.

Damn. How much did you get paid for that post?

Hex

Banned
I don't think this is a serious issue, but it will certainly be bad for little Johnny on Christmas day if his PS4 dies.

Be pretty sad if his Xbox One dies. Crazy how that works
You are right, it is not serious at this point and people need to use common sense

pestul

Wow, I didn't realize so many on GAF were terrible at math.

0.04%

launch

1000000 x 0.0004 = 400

or pre-launch

4500 x 0.0004 = 1.8

Must be a misprint..

coreyerb

Banned
So we should expect the worst and not believe the PR at all?
That's not a great way of thinking.
Hahaha you seriously on the same page said to trust PR, then were suspicious of a junior member for making the mistake of being a junior and posting.

Balance, friend. No you shouldn't freak out, and no you shouldn't believe everything coming from a source that stands to gain monetarily if they lie to you, with little to no consequences for telling a lie.

VillageBC

Once these consoles are in the wild. I will extremely surprised if there isn't closer to 1-2% failure rate. Abuses in shipping, crappy power at the end location, bricking during firmware updates, etcetera.

Of course, .04% currently given is more of a DOA rate rather then failure rate.

King_Moc

Banned
It's obviously not going to be only 0.04%. It's pretty advanced, some of them just won't work by chance. You'd be hard pushed to find any piece of tech that's got a failure rate that low.

Parapraxis

3-5% is the norm for consumer electronics, so it's actually really good. This is what warranties are for.

People are ignoring that fact that out of people who actually have PS4s now, basically EVERY one who has experienced problems have made it known, those with no problems have no reason to make vids/tweets about the fact theirs is working.

gossi

0.04% figure is bullshit based on the fact we already know more PS4's have broke from press and people here and reddit with verified failures.

Thrillers

Banned
I was watching a guy on twitch with a defective PS4. He was on the phone to customer services and simply refused to follow instructions. The tech support lady was telling him to hold the power button to bring it into safe mode but he was having too much fun interacting with his new twitch followers so to me, I think some are trying to make more of this situation. New hardware launch and a 0.4% fail rate...

What else did they expect? I hope that when the masses get hold of their working PS4's they put the 0.4% to rest.

coreyerb

Banned
Wow, I didn't realize so many on GAF were terrible at math.

0.04%

launch

1000000 x 0.0004 = 400

or pre-launch

4500 x 0.0004 = 1.8

Must be a misprint..
Meh, companies employ people who are bad at maths, too. Or the equally likely possibility that they'll throw whatever number they want out there, knowing few are smart enough to call them on it.

Or the even equalier possibility that numbers like 4,500 and 1,000,000 and "seven reported failures" are totally unreliably attained and shouldn't be used as the basis for any conclusions.

lifa-cobex

People need calming down a bit. I'm sure it will be fine.
Wedding night jitters I guess.

I know we all want to play the moment we get them but try and step back on the "situation" a bit.
Your not going to get fucked over and loos all your cash. I'm sure Sony will be all over it.

You can do as much math as you like but it doesn't change the fact that shit happens

Its sucks for some that have to wait for a new unit but hey, that's the way it goes.
Man up and carry on with your life.

If Sony is talking only about "pre launch units" which lets say is near 5000, (4500 TB + reviewers), then a 0.04% rate is 2 units. We know that is not true.

If sony made a typo, where it is 0.4%, then it would be 20 units, more believable.

If someone really screwed up and turned 0.04 (4%) into 0.04%, then it would be 200 units (doesn't seem likely).

So choose one of the three scenarios, or don't worry about Sony's statistics at all at this point, and just see what happens.

Steel

Banned
Wait he fixed it twice? I stopped watching after he said maybe it will work when i put it on 720P.

He said that about 20(That's lowballing, not hyperbole) times. Like every time a fix failed he came back to that. His PS4 is broke as of this moment, but he fixed it twice(due to the direction of others).

The ratio seems marginal. Consoles are going to break. Just the way it is. The percentage of faulty units dictates whether this falls within reasonable levels or is a manufacturing defect.

With what's been reported so far I'm more worried about a pimple on my ass than my console carrying a defect.

Would it suck to be one of the campers with tents who camped for days and got a defective PS4? :p

Kidding aside this is why I have a phobia of buying systems at launch.

Parapraxis

He said that about 20(That's lowballing, not hyperbole) times. Like every time a fix failed he came back to that. His PS4 is broke as of this moment, but he fixed it twice(due to the direction of others).

I think the 2 times he fixed it was fairly early on in the 12hr escapade.

0.04% of 1M is 4,000? 4,000 screaming on the internet would still be loud

Fuck yeah. 1,000 would be loud as shit.

Edit: Hell, imagine if just 50 people were here bitching, 50 more on Reddit, and throw in another 20 from 4chan or something for good measure, a measly 120 people could make it look like a MASSIVE problem if they whined loud enough. Without actual data this whole issue is entirely empty. Not that a hundred people haven't already posted as much.

Top Bottom