• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Superman

Playstation has took over London

BZB7vTsIgAAcuVc.jpg

BZDEO2-IMAANRRD.jpg:large

:O

Epic. UK Sonyland confirmed?

Vaiim

So the 0.04% number Sony gave is wrong. ~5000 in-use PS4s would mean 2 faults, and we know there are more than that. Meaning a few possibilities.

1. 0.4% of 5000 (20/5000 faults) - A typo by Sony, meaning 0.4% of all consoles are faulty.
  2. 4% of 5000 (200/5000 faults) - A maths error, 4% being the same as 0.04, meaning 4% of all consoles are faulty.
  3. 0.04% of 1.5mil (600/5000 faults) - Fault rate including all the shipped PS4s, meaning 12% of all consoles are faulty.

You'd expect the number of faults to start very low and increase over the life of the console as parts get old, wear and tear etc. So options 2 and 3 seem too high, unless it's a really serious issue. So I'd assume option 1. But who knows, Sony aren't making it simple by giving us bad info/terminology (0.04%/"shipped")...

*Edit oops messed my maths up, the shame!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They've shipped way more than 200k by now. It would be really disingenuous to count units that aren't in customers' hands, though. The sample size is more likely about 5000 (Taco Bell contest winners + game journalists).

A guess, but I think they're probably counting debug units and retail demo units (globally) too. Which are supposedly the same hardware as retail.

Still don't know if that would add up - no idea how many such units in total would be out there. A mix up between percentages and fractions somewhere along the line wouldn't surprise me either.

Polygon's stream crashed to safe mode and im fairly sure giant bomb said their first ps4 had some issues?

Giant bomb im not 100% but the polygon stream crashed to safe mode fo sho

I'm not sure a crash really counts here... I'm pretty sure nearly all my (modern, at least) systems have crashed on me at some point or another. Some of them quite a lot more than once.

shem935

Banned
The shipping conditions do concern me. Did not seem to be a lot of packing material inside that box. I doubt that would cause the hdmi issues but still. This wait is killing me slowly. :/

shem935

Banned
Polygon's stream crashed to safe mode and im fairly sure giant bomb said their first ps4 had some issues?

But is the console dead? Twitch can crash. This is not indicative of hardware failure. Just issues with the stream.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Polygon's unit was fine though...not a major issue (it is an issue though) seeing as how systems tend to crash occasionally.

And I have not heard anything on Giant Bomb having an issue.

And a crash is hardly a "similar issue"

Jburton

Banned

So not a failure, a crash.

Be careful with putting things forward in a certain manner, it allows for people to take an ambiguous post like yours an run away with it as fact.

We are talking about failures in this thread fella.

foxbeldin

Those are not bricks. Unstability is to be expected from new hardware. My vita was crashing all the time at launch, now it's fine.

cmgfender

Banned
So not a failure, a crash.

Be careful with putting things forward in a certain manner, it allows for people to take an ambiguous post like yours an run away with it as fact.

We are talking about failures in this thread fella.

I didnt mean failures my bad, I just meant problems.

Crashing I get, crashing to safe mode sounds more, idk, ominous?

Colbert

Banned
That spoiler was not there initially. It is my very strong suggestion that you watch yourself in the future. I could easily ban you permanently (given that you're a junior) and it would be completely allowed.

If your joke is indistinguishable from a real claim and particularly if you're a new user that nobody knows (which means we have no idea what your personality is like), the end result of your "joke" is that dozens of people have to go rifling through the internets looking for a source for your quotation before finding out it isn't real. It's time wasted. If there was some reasonable way to know ahead of time you were joking, this would be different, but there wasn't; it is entirely plausible Microsoft said something very similar back in 2005. It happens they didn't, but it's not so unreasonable as to be obviously false.

Yes I updated my post after seeing the reactions. I learn from my mistakes. Shouldn't I have done this for future readers? I can undo it ...

fsckdev

Banned
It just sounds like, not good.

It sounds a lot like it could just be the initial push of systems, like a "bad batch" or something.

Yea, I am sure Sony will want to get their hands on one and know what batch it came from. It's kind of rattling for us early adopters hoping not to get a DOA unit friday.

RulkezX

It's going to be incredibly difficult to get any sort of gauge on how widespread this is.

Every reported failure is going to generate hundreds of posts of speculation. No one will believe a thing Sony says about numbers after we all got fucked over with RROD last gen :/

Less than 0.04%? So out of a million less than 400 units were affected?

It's out of the current units shipped. The Taco Bell ones + journalists etc.

Salex_

It just sounds like, not good.

It sounds a lot like it could just be the initial push of systems, like a "bad batch" or something.

That could be possible but we don't know which consoles were in that batch. Myself and others have seen a lot of PS4 streams going and outside of that small handful I didn't see any problems besides the Twitch app crashing.
It's going to be incredibly difficult to get any sort of gauge on how widespread this is.

Every reported failure is going to generate hundreds of posts of speculation. No one will believe a thing Sony says about numbers after we all got fucked over with RROD last gen :/
We just have to wait until it releases because these handful of people out of the couple of thousands that has the console makes it look big due to the social media.

cmgfender

Banned
Yea, I am sure Sony will want to get their hands on one and know what batch it came from. It's kind of rattling for us early adopters hoping not to get a DOA unit friday.

I remember IGN said a PR rep came in to take it back to look into it when they had issues, so maybe sony was completed blindsided by this. This really just might be a small number of units went out with a tiny defect. Something they can fix right away for the rest

Cat Party

I just don't have it in me to believe what these console makers say about failure rates. Of course, it's way too early to assume any kind of widespread problem based on such a limited sample size.

GavinGT

Banned
Polygon's unit was fine though...not a major issue (it is an issue though) seeing as how systems tend to crash occasionally.

And I have not heard anything on Giant Bomb having an issue.

And a crash is hardly a "similar issue"

fLc7F3X.png

Not the same as full-on HW failure, obviously.

All this math today. I feel like I am back in school. All I can say is that I am more confused than ever. I will go to midnight launch, buy my console, pass on the warranty unless they can promise me that they can replace it with a new one in store.... go home and attempt to set it up with fingers crossed.

I really wnated to keep it sealed until I move back into our house and break this bad boy out on my Sony w900 I am going to hopefuly get soon... but I think I need to make sure it works.

ON a lighter noted

I think the lady at Gamestop hit on me when I was paying off my system the other day. She told me that my games (I was trading in) smelt nice. She said you always have the best smelling games....

I said thanks, but now I feel like I need to live up to this expecation from here on out. So I will start spraying my game cases with cologne before I trade them in I guess.

Keyouta

It's out of the current units shipped. The Taco Bell ones + journalists etc.

Right, I see. I suppose the failure rate will rise as more consoles get out to people in the coming days. We'll get a better idea on the failure rate soon I guess, it seems high from what's out there right now but that might just be the vocal minority. I expected Sony to say something like 0.4% or even 4% of shipped units affected, so unless that number is a mistake that failure rate is really low.

Corto

0.04% of 1M is 4,000? 4,000 screaming on the internet would still be loud

I can assure with confidence that the rate of failure will increase from 0.04% when PS4 reaches 1M consoles sold. Consumer Electronic Devices have an expected failure rate attached. Warranties exist to respond to that. Those 4000+ users with malfunction devices will have a replacement device as per law. Ultimately, it's a numbers game. And the current failure rate is a pretty negligible number.

PJV3

ON a lighter noted

I think the lady at Gamestop hit on me when I was paying off my system the other day. She told me that my games (I was trading in) smelt nice. She said you always have the best smelling games....

I said thanks, but now I feel like I need to live up to this expecation from here on out. So I will start spraying my game cases with cologne before I trade them in I guess.

That's a bit weird, game case sniffing.
I like her.

shem935

Banned
ON a lighter noted

Man where is that neogaf.gif when you need it?

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

daveo42

Banned
Low failure rates? Sound good so far. The only issue I see is being one of the few who does get a bad box, since you won't be able to just swap at the place you bought it. You'll need to ship it out to Sony.

ON a lighter noted

wat...

KoopaTheCasual

ON a lighter noted

wut.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I don't really get the fear that some have. Regardless of whether you believe or don't believe Sony's assessment of the failure rate, you always have warranty were your console to be defective. Or do some people not have mandatory warranty on such products in their countries? (The law dictates a minimum warranty of one year on all such products here.)

Corto

MS are probably gloating and laughing their asses off right now, this couldn't have come at a better time for them lol. There goes that PS4 domination in the US rofl. This is fucking PR win for MS, and a PR disaster for Sony, right when the console is about to launch in their most important market at the moment.

XBOX ONE, the console that won't breakdown on you!

Trust us, we've learnt our lesson from the RROD fiasco!

Sony hasn't.

Xbox Ones will fail. Have no doubt about that.

ON a lighter noted

Don't do this. You're turning used games into migraine traps for people like me with perfume allergies.

daveo42

Banned
I don't really get the fear that some have. Regardless of whether you believe or don't believe Sony's assessment of the failure rate, you always have warranty were your console to be defective. Or do some people not have mandatory warranty on such products in their countries? (The law dictates a minimum warranty of one year on all such products here.)

It's fear of not being able to play that shiny new console at launch.

Put Cologne on your winkle for better results.

I think she's only interested in his trade-ins. That's not something I'd like to part with.

ON a lighter noted

Thats really cute in a creepy way.

studyguy

The fact that FB was barely opening up to the general populous and Twitter wasn't even a real thing last gen marks a notable change for this generation. System launches are always trainwrecks, this one is just going to be a trainwreck shouted from the top of every mountain.

Social Media, because nothing says Likes & Twitter Followers like drama.

Top Bottom