• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Vestal

Gold Member
fLc7F3X.png

Not the same as full-on HW failure, obviously.
hopefully it is isolated and fixed quickly.

the whole point of a console is to avoid shit like this.

ON a lighter noted

I think the lady at Gamestop hit on me when I was paying off my system the other day. She told me that my games (I was trading in) smelt nice. She said you always have the best smelling games....

I said thanks, but now I feel like I need to live up to this expecation from here on out. So I will start spraying my game cases with cologne before I trade them in I guess.

Got a chuckle out of me. Well done.

Corto

The fact that FB was barely opening up to the general populous and Twitter wasn't even a real thing last gen marks a notable change for this generation. System launches are always trainwrecks, this one is just going to be a trainwreck shouted from the top of every mountain.

Social Media, because nothing says Likes & Twitter Followers like drama.

The future will be live streamed.

meanspartan

You do realize that happened to 2 different major game site and 1 console per site, right?

Yes but Kotaku had 5 units, one failed. IGN had probably a lot more than 5, and one failed.

There are quite a few gaming websites, and all of them seem to be getting at least a few units. So far we know of only two failures.

Unlike the Taco Bell units where we aren't sure how many that fail actually get tweeted and blogged about, you can be damn sure we will know about every press unit that fails. So so far, only two out of presumably hundreds that have gone out to them.

Mortemis

Banned
I doubt this is an actual problem. It's just that every person that has a broken console I going to be complaining on the web. Even the voice of 10 complainers is loud you know?

Curufinwe

I've had dozens and dozens of game crashes on my PS3 and 360 in the past four years.

Game crashes aren't even relevant to this thread which is about the MUCH more serious and troubling issue of hardware failures.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Your 360 or PS3 never crashed while playing a game? I know mine have. I hope MS has a report issue service as well, it might speed up bug fixes.

gohanrage

When the PS2 first launched In Japan they had problems with consoles and memory cards but those issues were fixed before the American release. With PS4 they are releasing to America before Japan so It will be Americans being the Ginie Pigs

Guerilla

I've had dozens and dozens of game crashes on my PS3 and 360 in the past four years.

Game crashes aren't even relevant to this thread which is about the MUCH more serious and troubling issue of hardware failures.

Warhawk is still crashing on me every once a while.

shem935

Banned

Shout out to skyrim! Fallout 3! Bethesda Games!

Lynn616

My PS4 has been working great. Played it for around 8 hours yesterday and it was just barely warm on top. No glitches or anything.

We will always have reports of defects. Also unless they have a YouTube or twitch video I would not trust all the reports either.

Berg

My PS4 has been working great. Played it for around 8 hours yesterday and it was just barely warm on top. No glitches or anything.

We will always have reports of defects. Also unless they have a YouTube or twitch video I would not trust all the reports either.

So any user that has a defective ps4, will not be taken seriously, unless they can provide proof through a youtube or twitch video?

This made me smile.

methane47

They've shipped way more than 200k by now. It would be really disingenuous to count units that aren't in customers' hands, though. The sample size is more likely about 5000 (Taco Bell contest winners + game journalists).

+ PS4s at Developers
+ PS4s on Display in stores
+ PS4s in house at Sony

??

KoopaTheCasual

So any user that has a defective ps4, will not be taken seriously, unless they can provide proof through a youtube or twitch video?

Not saying they won't be taken seriously, but there have already been people on Twitter and GAF trolling by saying "omgz, my console is also bricked!" and were quickly outed. We're in a weird situation. Not saying there's not issues, but not everyone who's going to step forward is going to be honest.

There are so many factors...

hdmi
update issue
delievery guy throwing it on the truck (the box if I recall) is not exactly built to protect. ***I wish I could do a gif of Ace Ventura when he was delievering the package at the beginning of Pet detective... ***
people complaing just to troll
actual hardware failure....

could be countless things, but tonight and tomorrow we all should get a much better idea of how big an issue this really is.

RMI

Banned
XBOX ONE, the console that won't breakdown on you!

This is going to be really, really funny 1 week from now.

Seriously though, almost all modern electronics are going to have some kind of fail rate. Not all of them are going to be as colossally bad as the XBOX 360 was, but there will be some systems that just straight up fail. Honestly I expect the Xbone and PS4 to be pretty comparable in this regard.

coreyerb

Banned

We will always have reports of consoles "working great." Where's your YouTube or Twitch video of your PS4 "working great"?

Opiate

Yes I updated my post after seeing the reactions. I learn from my mistakes. Shouldn't I have done this for future readers? I can undo it ...

Nope, you did the right thing. You aren't banned. As you said, if you learn from your mistakes everything will be fine.

MADGAME

ON a lighter noted

I think the lady at Gamestop hit on me when I was paying off my system the other day. She told me that my games (I was trading in) smelt nice. She said you always have the best smelling games....

I said thanks, but now I feel like I need to live up to this expecation from here on out. So I will start spraying my game cases with cologne before I trade them in I guess.

The lady at Starbucks this morning told me I smell like Vodka

gohanrage

Not that I am buying a XBOX ONE, but I hope they are not prone to failure. I am on my 6'th XBOX 360. Three Launch white consoles, and now I'm on my Third S console. S consoles may not have Red Ring of Death but their DVD-ROMs are Garbage.

I am going to wait at least 1 year before buying either PS4 or XBOX ONE

The Fact that the PS4 and XBOX ONE don't play Previous console discs if Microsoft or Sony Stop Repairing PS3 or Xbox360s all our software will be useless. I am concerned about having 360 games and nothing to play them on.

I'm one of those Taco Bell winners and let me alleviate some fear here (or try to).

My PS4 was constantly running from 9:30am till 4:30am the next day. I was streaming, downloading, accepting friend requests, and browsing the store. I downloaded updates to Killzone, and Knack. I downloaded Warframe, Blacklight, Super Motherload, Resogun, and Contrast.

The console never felt very hot to the touch, and had an average amount of heat coming out of the vents.

That being said there was a few issues, mainly with the XMB? Dashboard? (Whatever they are calling this thing this time). It seems like if you do things too quickly in it, it gets overloaded, that or the network just wasn't doing well (I hope that isn't the case...). Rapidly accepting multiple friend requests would cause it to hang.

At times the store wouldn't load. Twitch streams would often just not show comments at all, sometimes until the stream was restarted, other times till the console was restarted.

At one point the console just kind of hung at the PSN Store with the blue lines background still in motion and music playing. Pressing the PS button had no effect. Ended up having to power off the console with the power button on the console.

The "benefits" of being an early adopter.

Mortemis

Banned
ON a lighter noted

I've had cashiers hit on me saying I smell nice, but never my games. Don't take me wrong though, it's cute, but in a really weird way.

Krakn3Dfx

Meh, companies employ people who are bad at maths, too. Or the equally likely possibility that they'll throw whatever number they want out there, knowing few are smart enough to call them on it.

Or the even equalier possibility that numbers like 4,500 and 1,000,000 and "seven reported failures" are totally unreliably attained and shouldn't be used as the basis for any conclusions.

tumblr_mdk4xmfAmJ1qgos7ro1_1280.gif

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
ON a lighter noted

This deserves a tag.
"The AXE-Man Tradeth"?

("On a lighter note" -- ISWYDT.)

foxbeldin

Meh, companies employ people who are bad at maths, too. Or the equally likely possibility that they'll throw whatever number they want out there, knowing few are smart enough to call them on it.

Or the even equalier possibility that numbers like 4,500 and 1,000,000 and "seven reported failures" are totally unreliably attained and shouldn't be used as the basis for any conclusions.

Or they're adding demo units, devs units and press units to the count. I wonder how many that would be? 10000? 15000? Even more?

I've had cashiers hit on me saying I smell nice, but never my games. Don't take me wrong though, it's cute, but in a really weird way.

lol, All I could think about when she said it was "I never knew my games had a scent", come to think of it.. .I have never even thought to smell my games. Gamestop must really wear on you after a while.

KoopaTheCasual

Can someone please fucking explain to me how RROD and Microsoft has anything to do with Sony and the PS4. Go ahead because I can't seem to understand.

The straws. They need grasping.

I can definitely see this becoming an issue, but for people to imply this will be anywhere near the magnitude of RROD are smoking something strong. There has never in the history of gaming been anything nearly as disastrous for the platform holder, in terms of hardware problems.

Terrell

The straws. They need grasping.

I can definitely see this becoming an issue, but for people to imply this will be anywhere near the magnitude of RROD are smoking something strong. There has never in the history of gaming been anything nearly as disastrous for the platform holder, in terms of hardware problems.
It's hard to know the magnitude one way or the other when the thing isn't even available for sale yet. So I think no one in this thread is innocent of grasping at straws.

It's a serious issue that we won't know the magnitude of until it hits retail.

Time to roll the dice on launch hardware yet again, folks!

Top Bottom