• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

It would be surprising if there weren't a few bad eggs in the group, this handful of known issues seems pretty tame all things considered. I'm more interested in how the hardware stands up after heavy usage for a year. I had an upside down ps1 a ps2 with dre a ps3 slim that couldn't read disks and a 360 rrod and various pc components break. Virtually everyone I knew with those consoles experienced at least one or two of those failures so anyone expecting zero problems is delusional. It is in Sony's best interest to supply replacements quickly which I sure they will do. Only time will tell if this is an rrod or ylod scenario hopefully not but if so I'll pray for failure within the warranty, which my ps3 was not but my 360 was due to the rrod extension.

Metallix87

Again, people, this is .4% SO FAR. These systems failed within a day of use. It's possible the percentage will go even higher after multiple days of use.

Hex

Banned
Damn that was fast.

LzaTFI7.gif

That is fantastic, source?

Vizzeh

Banned
Again, people, this is .4% SO FAR. These systems failed within a day of use. It's possible the percentage will go even higher after multiple days of use.

As discussed this is nothing when compared to the 3-4% industry tolerance for electronics. (cant be worst than the 360's 54% and they did quite well last gen) - Keep the calm :)

edit: I see its corrected at 0.4% - quite Honest of Sony tbh.

So, its not heat realated, right?
That means either my Ps4 bricks right away or, if it survives the first few days/hours, I'm save and I have a good unit.

I mean, the 0.04% doesn't grow bigger with every day that goes by.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
0.04% :)

As discussed this is nothing when compared to the 3-4% industry tolerance for electronics. (cant be worst than the 360's 54% and they did quite well last gen) - Keep the calm :)

360 had a 54% day one brick rate? Wow.

Let's keep calm and make sure we are comparing like to like.

vcc

Corto

this is how RROD, started, isn't it?

Nah. At the time of the RROD press was borderline criminally covering MS ass until it was clear the dimension of the problem to everyone. This time we're getting web streams of consoles breaking live so press can't be so accessary this time.

DataGhost

According the Square Trade the traditional out of the box 'infant mortality' rate for consoles is 3%. So 0.4% is grotesquely low and we can only many people haven't phoned their problems in yet.

The Square Trade guys said the launch 360 had a 15% failure rate. 33% within 2 years.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/02/xbox-360-failure-rates-worse-than-most-consumer-electornics/

That would be weird if they don't phone in their problems. But then again, it's not the weekend yet so some people cannot play yet.

edit: I see its corrected at 0.4% - quite Honest of Sony tbh.

I think 3-4% failure is over the lifetime of the product (5+ years) not failing the first day, that would be horrible.

That would be 30000 failing first day if it sold one million on day one.

big_z

Just got my ps4 but no games arrived so I won't open it yet. My brother got his yesterday and is at futureshop trying to exchange it. Said the Screen flickered corruption, froze then turned off. System doesn't turn on anymore. He was playing killzone when it happened.

Tsundere

Banned
0.04% assumes over 25,000 units in circulation with just 10 failures. Must be 0.4%, not the smaller figure.
  • Sony has direct data concerning people calling in because of defective units.
  • There are thousands of units in circulation: prizes, reviewers, media outlets, retail partners, developers (yes they get retail units too), etc.
  • They most likely aren't basing their percentage off the data we have.

Vizzeh

Banned
It's .4 %. Ign made a mistake.

Cheers, you were quick, I thought I edited before I would have got quoted as checked the thread title changed and checked the IGN article reasonably quickly :D

360 had a 54% day one brick rate? Wow.

Let's keep calm and make sure we are comparing like to like.

Yeah 54.2% failure rate http://uk.ign.com/articles/2009/08/17/report-xbox-360-failure-rate-reaches-54 (its more of a calming figure considering it went well for them, were as everyone is freaking out over a few PS4 Units lol)

Bossofman

Neo Member
Nah. At the time of the RROD press was borderline criminally covering MS ass until it was clear the dimension of the problem to everyone. This time we're getting web streams of consoles breaking live so press can't be so accessary this time.

Yeah but who is Bob Woodward?...and who is Deep Throat?

B_Boss

It's called a cantilever design. This is not a new innovation, lol. It uses a heavily weighted but uneven support structure to balance the device. This is not cutting corners or being cheap. In fact, it would be cheaper to put shitty plastic feet on all four corners and be done with it but Sony opted not to for aesthetic reasons (as far as I can tell) when the system is vertical. It also gives the appearance the right side of the device is hovering above the table. This indicates they actually thought about this and made a decision to "wobble" the device.

It's not going to move when it's in use. That is the point of the weighting. It shouldn't scratch disks if you press down on it as the disk drive moves a couple mms at most even if you rock the thing up and down. And still if you don't like this decision you can either put it vertical where it is level with the table or you can put like a playing card under the thing.

Wobblegate is truly the most stunning case of media amplification I can think of. It's not a "feature" or whatever but it's not a defect.

Unbelievable how so many people simply fail to take a few moments and think about this very truth. I had mentioned to some friends that this is a waste of media time as its not a problem (thanks Kotaku.......) nor a defect. If you PRESS the console on its side of course it will "wobble" due to the design. It was not designed with consumers pushing on it in mind....thanks Y2Kev. This crystal clear understanding.

Vizzeh

Banned
I think 3-4% failure is over the lifetime of the product (5+ years) not failing the first day, that would be horrible.

That would be 30000 failing first day if it sold one million on day one.

I thought that 3-4% was off the production line faults, perhaps not.

I know .4 % isn't a lot when you look at it as part of the whole but how many units did Sony ship? Does this affect those units as well?

Hypothetically, if sony shipped 1 million units, .4% is around 4000 units. It's not a lot compared to 1 million, but I hope I'm not affected by this by getting one of those and I'm sure sony shipped more than that. Should I be worried?

Well, it's a nonzero percentage of PS4s that are affected. So someone is going to get a faulty console. Could be me, could be you, could be someone you know, could be any of the fine folks on GAF or around the world buying PS4s.

Should you be worried? It's way too early to tell if this is an extraordinary circumstance or if its just the typical numbers of launch hardware failure. Know that even in the most drastic case (a failure rate above 15%), your chances of getting a working console are much higher of your chances of getting a faulty one.

goonergaz

I was ready to say it's guaranteed to go higher, but I didn't want to be bombarded with hate. During system launches, you gotta walk on egg shells.

hey, I'm kinda shitting myself lol - don't want a duff and a store with no swap-outs on 29th :|

I'm sure it'll be fine though, you always hear the complaints/bad news...I suspect we're looking at average failure rate - in Sony I trust!

DataGhost

Well, it's a nonzero percentage of PS4s that are affected. So someone is going to get a faulty console. Could be me, could be you, could be someone you know, could be any of the fine folks on GAF or around the world buying PS4s.

Should you be worried? It's way too early to tell if this is an extraordinary circumstance or if its just the typical numbers of launch hardware failure. Know that even in the most drastic case (a failure rate above 15%), your chances of getting a working console are much higher of your chances of getting a faulty one.

That's true....but I feel bad for anyone who gets a faulty console.

Also, I hope it doesn't go up as some people suspect it might

Cheers, you were quick, I thought I edited before I would have got quoted as checked the thread title changed and checked the IGN article reasonably quickly :D

Yeah 54.2% failure rate http://uk.ign.com/articles/2009/08/17/report-xbox-360-failure-rate-reaches-54 (its more of a calming figure considering it went well for them, were as everyone is freaking out over a few PS4 Units lol)
Youre missing his point. That 54% of units didn't fail on day one so this isn't a like for like comparison.

ringlord

Just got my ps4 but no games arrived so I won't open it yet. My brother got his yesterday and is at futureshop trying to exchange it. Said the Screen flickered corruption, froze then turned off. System doesn't turn on anymore. He was playing killzone when it happened.

Not good, sorry to hear it. This weekend will tell the tale, good or bad.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
That wasn't day one, though.

Exactly. People are quoting failure rates 3+ years into a cycle with a well established console with what people are seeing day one of a limited release (and similarly small reporting data set).

Stop comparing the two (directed @vizzeh, not you).

If we stay at low single digit defective numbers, this is expected for any device and a non-issue.

If it's higher than that, I want to know, but we will have to wait some time to know that.

Jburton

Banned
Exactly. People are quoting failure rates 3+ years into a cycle with a well established console with what people are seeing day one of a limited release (and similarly small reporting data set).

Stop comparing the two (directed @vizzeh, not you).

RROD only happened 3 years in?

Blatant nonsense, RROD started immediately and carried on for years.

Vizzeh

Banned
Youre missing his point. That 54% of units didn't fail on day one so this isn't a like for like comparison.

Why does it matter just Day 1 though? They are likely same batch as day 1 purchased consoles that broke down over the course of a year or 2. I do accept its not 100% like for like tho.

Do we stop being concerned about PS4 after day 1, likewise for X1 :p (its still apples v oranges I know :D)

Metallix87

So what was the day one failure rate?

Moving goalposts? .......... One day, one week or month ......... thing still failed.

The point is, the PS4 isn't even out yet, so it's difficult to gauge just what the failure rate of the launch shipment will be. It's going to go higher, obviously, but how much is still to be seen. That's not moving goalposts, that's basic logic. You can't compare the PS4's day one failure rate (not even, actually, since the system isn't officially out yet) to the 360's failure rate after four years on the market. That's absolutely moronic.

I remember winning a 360 in that Mountain Dew giveaway and then selling it for a little over $700. I'm wonder if that console is still functioning today.

If we stay at low single digit defective numbers, this is expected for any device and a non-issue.

What? So the Iphone 5 that sold five million in first weekend, you´re telling me that rougly a hundred thousand of them broke on the first day? Weird how i never heard of that.

Top Bottom