• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

Jburton

Banned
The point is, the PS4 isn't even out yet, so it's difficult to gauge just what the failure rate of the launch shipment will be. It's going to go higher, obviously, but how much is still to be seen. That's not moving goalposts, that's basic logic. You can't compare the PS4's day one failure rate (not even, actually, since the system isn't officially out yet) to the 360's failure rate after four years on the market. That's absolutely moronic.

Who stated that the 0.4% failure was a lifetime value?.......... you are right that it is far to early for that.

Yes and comparing the total failure rate of the 360 (pre Slim) to one day before launch is nonsense and no one should be doing it.

Its too early to state anything categorically, I agree ........... the flow of conversations are hard to follow and I have picked up on it wrong.

• Sony has direct data concerning people calling in because of defective units.
  • There are thousands of units in circulation: prizes, reviewers, media outlets, retail partners, developers (yes they get retail units too), etc.
  • They most likely aren't basing their percentage off the data we have.

Yeah, dude, they just corrected the figure to 0.4%...

Metallix87

How the fuck are people claiming that 360s didn't brick day one?

Nobody is claiming that. People are claiming that 54% of all 360s didn't brick on day one, which is correct. Many 360's took months or years to finally RRoD, so comparing the percentage of 360 failures after four years to the percentage of PS4s that bricked after less than a day of use is ridiculous.

Corto

That's true....but I feel bad for anyone who gets a faulty console.

Also, I hope it doesn't go up as some people suspect it might

It's not a suspicion, it's a certainty. The number will go higher. Sony and Microsoft have data on their hands with the expected failure rate of these devices. They had to decide at what point that number was acceptable and release. There are similar difficult and scarier decisions in Medicine i.e. the studies of epidemiologic impact and cost-effectiveness of universal vaccination against certain diseases. We know that these programs would save lives but they're not implemented because they are not cost effective or, as resources are finite, would decrease resources towards other disease control strategies.

vcc

Because systems can fail after more than a day of use, you know...

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/des_s99/electronic_electrical/

http://www.quanterion.com/FAQ/Bathtub_Curve.htm

bathtub.gif

It's pretty common for electronics. It's why most countries/states mandate a warranty period to cover 'burn in' failure also known as out of the box failure or infant mortality. It's very expensive to eliminate this so many companies just deal with after the fact with warranty replacements.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Nobody is claiming that. People are claiming that 54% of all 360s didn't brick on day one, which is correct. Many 360's took months or years to finally RRoD, so comparing the percentage of 360 failures after four years to the percentage of PS4s that bricked after less than a day of use is ridiculous.

Well that makes sense.

RK9039

That's true, my 360 bricked after three years and my PS3 didn't fare any better.

Vizzeh

Banned
What are we actually discussing here, that 0.4% isnt much, we accept that failure rate as its way way below industry standard. Fact is there will likely be more, both PS4 + X1...

The reason the 360 link was put out there was to put perspective on things, people here flipping out over about 10 known consoles (and surmising over more) when infact the 360 generally did quite well (in general, last GEN) given its massive failure rate. (This will likely not happen for X1 or PS4 this Gen)

Sony even confirmed that the failures are across multiple types, not 1 isolated worrying-mass-produced console issue. Perspective and calm :)

edit: for added emphasis on context

Metallix87

That's true, my 360 bricked after three years and my PS3 didn't fare any better.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure it was said that all original model Xbox 360's would eventually Red Ring, hence the redesign. It was a design flaw.

Until we know more about the nature of these PS4 failures, it's absurd to compare it to the Red Ring scenario, especially since people didn't know just how bad that was for many months.

The reason the 360 link was put out there was to put perspective on things, people here flipping out over about 10 known consoles (and surmising over more) when infact the 360 generally did quite well given its massive failure rate. (This will likely not happen for X1 or PS4 this Gen)

That still makes no sense. Again, the 360's failure rate wasn't 54% on day one, and it's impossible to say how many systems failed with less than a day of use.

Vizzeh

Banned
Exactly. I'm pretty sure it was said that all original model Xbox 360's would eventually Red Ring, hence the redesign. It was a design flaw.

Until we know more about the nature of these PS4 failures, it's absurd to compare it to the Red Ring scenario, especially since people didn't know just how bad that was for many months.

That still makes no sense. Again, the 360's failure rate wasn't 54% on day one, and it's impossible to say how many systems failed with less than a day of use.

I know its not day 1. The context was 360 did well last GEN not day 1, given its failures. Ie things are not exactly worth crying about given only 0.4% at this stage.

Fugu

How is it that it came to be that tangible failure rates affecting potentially thousands of people became "industry standard"?

I, for one, blame consumer culture.

All part of the joy and agony of being an early adopter of any new tech product. I dealt with 3 RRODs and 1 YLOD last gen. That didn't stop me from owning either console. And its not like this is even too bad. From the sounds of it, everyone has different issues. The same issue would indicate a design flaw. Different ones would just seem to indicate unit specific defects. Software/firmware issues worry me even less... they can be patched.

All part of the joy and agony of being an early adopter of any new tech product. I dealt with 3 RRODs and 1 YLOD last gen. That didn't stop me from owning either console. And its not like this is even too bad. From the sounds of it, everyone has different issues. The same issue would indicate a design flaw. Different ones would just seem to indicate unit specific defects. Software/firmware issues worry me even less... they can be patched.

A bunch of people having completely different issues would scare me way more than just one single design flaw.

No they're better because you can just replace your unit under warranty and be fine. A design flaw would mean waiting till a product redesign/refresh which wont happen for months at least in the event of an emergency.

A bunch of people having completely different issues would say to me that the whole system is an unstable piece of shit where anything could break at any moment.

GloveSlap

On the bright side, assuming it is just a faulty HDMI, it should be pretty easy to fix. The RROD was a much more complicated engineering blunder.

Duxxy3

I love the PS4, but if my system ends up as a dud tomorrow it is going back to amazon and I'm getting an XB1 instead.

A bunch of people having completely different issues would scare me way more than just one single design flaw.

it means that there wasn't a design flaw that will consistently repro throughout the entire production of the device. A random distribution of failures like we are seeing with the PS4, I'm guessing, are much more desired than one consistent failure because slipups do that. Manufacturing isn't perfect, though it is very close.

A bunch of people having completely different issues would say to me that the whole system is an unstable piece of shit where anything could break at any moment.

If that was a lot of people as a percentage of the total userbase I'd agree. In these tiny samples its not nearly the same thing. Plenty of iPads come out with iffy batteries or screens (I had one a few years ago). It doesn't mean it is a shitty product. It just means you got the short end of the stick.

Why is this still going. And now I'm reading SDF and stuff?

It almost pains me to ask but do people seriously think that normally all products, in particular new mass-market high-tech products, have a 0% failure rate?

It's almost like you have never bought something and it arrived either broken or it broke within the first times of usage. Guess what, that's not a design flaw. That happens because production is and cannot be perfect. Not to mention random event like transport conditions. That one console out of 500 not working? Yeah, that's the one that fall from the pile to the floor once.
Something like this has nothing to do with e.g. RRoD. Not only because of the higher failure rates but because that's a design flaw which materializes itself over time&use.

What happens when something breaks day one? You return it and get a replacement. That's how it works for every product imaginable and it's not a big deal and just an annoyance. But someone HAS to be the unlucky one, it always has been like that.

It seems Sony giving a number actually makes people more paranoid here, as they apparently can't comprehend how low 0.4% or whatever the fuck the real number would be is. Maybe they should give numbers from PS2 etc. when people didn't even know there were consoles breaking on day one unless it happened to you. Maybe then they realize there is no need for panic unless they already panicked back then as well. (and btw, the fear is... what?.... of replacing a product for free?)

But I must say, this will be fun when we have the same thread about 10 bricked XB1 consoles...

DataGhost

I love the PS4, but if my system ends up as a dud tomorrow it is going back to amazon and I'm getting an XB1 instead.

Well, I definitely hope you don't get a dud and anyone with that mindset doesn't get one. If I get one, I'll be sad, but I'll just call support and see what they can do

Vizzeh

Banned
If my PS4 dies, I wont cry about it, accept it that it happens in anything electronically, after 3 or 4 times would be reason to get annoyed, at #1 its an acceptable casualty, especially if the majority batch isnt at a massive % failure and within industry standards. Any alternative console will have its own failure rate.

My biggest annoyance would be time to take to get replacement given its launch period, again tho, just gotta hope you get it replaced quite quickly. I think the Store I pre-ordered from Generally just handed you a new console.

What? So the Iphone 5 that sold five million in first weekend, you´re telling me that rougly a hundred thousand of them broke on the first day? Weird how i never heard of that.
From Arstechnica (during the RROD fiasco), including failure rates data in consumer electronics:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/02/xbox-360-failure-rates-worse-than-most-consumer-electornics/

Old data, but if you expect any electronic device to have zero failure rate with current technology your expectations do not match reality. There is a reason warranties exist (in Europe you get a minimum of two years).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What? So the Iphone 5 that sold five million in first weekend, you´re telling me that rougly a hundred thousand of them broke on the first day? Weird how i never heard of that.

I had a defective iPhone 5 day one. Anecdotal evidence, sure.

The second one works perfectly, even after a friend dropped half a pint of beer on its face.

RK9039

It's almost like you have never bought something and it arrived either broken or it broke within the first times of usage.

But I must say, this will be fun when we have the same thread about 10 bricked XB1 consoles...

That has never happened to me, ever.

And yes if the same thing happens with the XB1 it will be even more funny and depressing at the same time.

How is it that it came to be that tangible failure rates affecting potentially thousands of people became "industry standard"?

I, for one, blame consumer culture.

Loyalty to your country, or loyalty to your favourite brand?

Brand loyalty to the end.

It's just a joke, before anyone gets annoyed.

Update: Sony has reached out to us to clarify the number of units that could be subject to failure. According to a representative, the .04 percent number we were provided is incorrect by a magnitude of ten. The correct anticipated percentage of units that will suffer from problems is .4 percent. Based on a projection of five million units sold by end of fiscal year (March 31, 2014), that accounts for approximately 20,000 units with hardware problems.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Top Bottom