• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm just gonna come clean, Xbox One had the worst first party support for any major console of all time

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Never in gaming history has there been a major console release from of the top players (Sony, MS, Sega, Nintendo) with worst first party support than the Xbox One, counting the main consoles from them (not side things like GameGear and Virtual Boy).

With few notable exceptions, Xbox One had the most generic, uninspired list of first party titles I have ever witnessed.

Don't get me wrong, Series X can count its lucky stars for Bethesda, because they easily have a way better lineup than MS's entire Xbox One first party roster.

This gen Asobo and Flight Sim are cool from MS this gen but it's more of a Google Earth type simulation.

Look at this list. For a mainstream console that was around so long this is abysmal.

GymWolf

game-of-thrones-go-t.gif

I think that even the shitU had better games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
In the end only Ori was both original and quality. And it was quality.

Sea of Thieves was ok.

Master Chief Collection was fantastic, 4 years after release.

Forza Horizon 4 was not my cup of tea, I much prefer 3&5.

Halo 5 was quality, come at me bro, Gears 4 dreadful, Gears 5 great.

It’s bad overall for sure.

Ozriel

M$FT
Don't get me wrong, Series X can count its lucky stars for Bethesda, because they easily have a way better lineup than MS's entire Xbox One first party roster.

This gen Asobo and Flight Sim are cool from MS this gen but it's more of a Google Earth type simulation.

‘Lucky stars’ for first party studios?

Of all time? Really?

He did specify ‘major gaming console’. So you can’t use stuff like the CD-I or Virtualboy

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've been waiting for over a year for Lococycle to go on sale so I can finally try it. Been stuck in my head since E3 2012.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
There are a few exclusives that peaks my interest. Sunset Overdrive, Recore
and Quantum Break look solid enough for a playthrough but since I didn't have an XO I never played them. I'll probably give Sunset a whirl on PC when I have some time. Ori 1 & 2 and Cuphead I played on Switch and they were awesome. Especially Ori. Wonderful, beautiful games.

The only good game for me was Forza Horizon so I agree. But I bought the cheapest version of this Xbox on Black Friday for 99 euro and sold it 2 years later for 200 euro so I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
XB1 is a best forgotten era for MS. They gambled on bringing over all their players (who were already in a dry run tail end of the 360), to a weaker box where all 3rd party games generally ran worse. If that was the strategy then they needed to make sure that xbox was the place to play 3rd parties and just spat on them.

It's just a very odd thing to look back on to be honest.

Saying that ryse did interest me and gears always puts out a solid showing.

Last edited:
So now we know why MS is acquiring more studios. Xbox has never been reliant on first party support like Sony and certainly Nintendo. The most popular games thankfully are 3rd party and most of those titles are available on Xbox platforms today. Right now MS is leading with value and it is looking more and more like 2023 will be a pretty significant year for first party support just like 2021. Future is pretty bright.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm going to disagree, let me tell you about the Atari Jaguar, it came with cybermorph that game was so bad I took the jaguar back the very next day!

I really enjoyed the Xbox one exclusives, could there be more? Oh definitely, it's always nice to have more games.
But some of my most played games ever are Xbox one exclusives:

Killer Instinct reboot (hurry and give me another) 22 days, 23 hours exactly

Gears 4 54 days, 22 hours, 25 mins

Gears 5 68 days, 6 hours, 4 minutes

Halo 5 10 days 29 mins

Halo infinite 12 days, 21 hours, 21 mins

Sea of thieves 22 days, 3 hours, 51 mins (sadly I don't have the time for this game currently, as you need hours for a good session imo)

Other standout game with only a few days playtime each:
Forza Horizon 2-5
Ryse Son Of Rome
Ori games (oh wait these came to switch right?)
Titanfall 1 (2's maps were sadly pants)
Sunset Overdrive (hopefully Sony revives this series/but sadly I think insomniac might be a marvel factory now)

Amusingly it turns out I'm one of those guys that loves Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon, but in all honesty I love pretty much all game genres with the exception of sport :)

Obviously the above text is all just my opinion & I'm sure many will strongly disagree and maybe some here love the Atari jaguar and have fonder memories off the device.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
This is how the incredibly hardcore and stubborn green rats we love were born.
Most reasonable people or gaming lovers in general switched sides at the time.

There are no real sides. Buy all platforms, play games anywhere. All bases covered. Universal disappointment in the industry.

I preferred One and One X than my PCs or Playstation 4, and still use Xbox for movies and media. Sony raised the PS4 by 50 bucks in Canada, Xbox didn't and dropped the Kinect. They have had a rewards program in place for years, and I've gotten hundreds of dollars dumped back into my Microsoft account just by doing my normal thing, picking up digital games and movies or TV shows.

These days, I am waiting for a reason to buy a Series console. I have a Steam Deck and it's the only device I play games on.

Chukhopops

Another quality thread but you can’t remove games like Sunset Overdrive, Ori 1/2, Cuphead, Titanfall, FH3, FM7, Killer Instinct.

Then you have games which some people disliked but I loved like Halo 5 MP, State of Decay 2, Gears Tactics and Crackdown 3 (deal with it).

It wasn’t too bad but keep hating I suppose, it’s a past gen anyway.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Another quality thread but you can’t remove games like Sunset Overdrive, Ori 1/2, Cuphead, Titanfall, FH3, FM7, Killer Instinct.

Then you have games which some people disliked but I loved like Halo 5 MP, State of Decay 2, Gears Tactics and Crackdown 3 (deal with it).

I think it probably surpasses the original Xbox first party quite easily when you really list it all out.

I sure do miss Brute Force though and Project Gotham.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I'm going to disagree, let me tell you about the Atari Jaguar, it came with cybermorph that game was so bad I took the jaguar back the very next day!

I really enjoyed the Xbox one exclusives, could there be more? Oh definitely, it's always nice to have more games.
But some of my most played games ever are Xbox one exclusives:

Killer Instinct reboot (hurry and give me another) 22 days, 23 hours exactly

Gears 4 54 days, 22 hours, 25 mins

Gears 5 68 days, 6 hours, 4 minutes

Halo 5 10 days 29 mins

Halo infinite 12 days, 21 hours, 21 mins

Sea of thieves 22 days, 3 hours, 51 mins (sadly I don't have the time for this game currently, as you need hours for a good session imo)

Other standout game with only a few days playtime each:
Forza Horizon 2-5
Ryse Son Of Rome
Ori games (oh wait these came to switch right?)
Titanfall 1 (2's maps were sadly pants)
Sunset Overdrive (hopefully Sony revives this series/but sadly I think insomniac might be a marvel factory now)

Amusingly it turns out I'm one of those guys that loves Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon, but in all honesty I love pretty much all game genres with the exception of sport :)

Obviously the above text is all just my opinion & I'm sure many will strongly disagree and maybe some here love the Atari jaguar and have fonder memories off the device.
I never counted Atari in the OP. You say Xbox One didn't have the worst first party support but can you name a console that qualifies under the OP criteria that had worse first party support? :goog_unsure:

anthony2690

Banned
I never counted Atari in the OP. You say Xbox One didn't have the worst first party support but can you name a console that qualifies under the OP criteria that had worse first party support? :goog_unsure:
Sega Saturn, loved it when I was younger.
& Atari Jaguar was a main contender back then, how old are you op?
Same with 3DO
& Commodore 64

Banjo64

cumsessed
It had mario galaxy and botw right.

I don't care about both so personally wiiU was pretty trash in my eyes.
(Also bought botw on switch so...)
Wii U had Tropical Freeze, MK8, Smash 4, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Captain Toad, WW and TP remasters and Breath of the Wild.

Not the best line up ever, but an order of magnitudes better than the Xbox One.

Banjo64

cumsessed

But Cuphead is on PS, PC and Switch?

Shut0wen

Have to agree with OP only great ezclusive that came out of the xbox one was forza horizon 2 and 3, gears didnt do to bad either and halo ce was ok but the rest were dreadful

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Sega Saturn, loved it when I was younger.
& Atari Jaguar was a main contender back then, how old are you op?
Same with 3DO
& Commodore 64
Worst than Xbox One?

Saturn is the console that qualifies here that you listed and it has way better first party games than the soulless Xbox One

giphy.gif

JackMcGunns

Compared to Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4, no doubt, but all time? come on now! you're placing it with the likes of the 3DO, the Atari Jaguar, TurboGraphx-16, those were major releases even if before your time. Heck even putting it below the Wii U is questionable.

Last edited:
Yup there's already one in the thread trying to play it down saying the vita is worse.

Objectively, xbone was terrible for first party content so much so gamers abandoned it on mass. Bringing out backpac compatibly was only because the lack of software. If Xbox was on top like 360 they wouldn't have done this.

Series x is looking alot better next year. Still 2 years is abysmal. It's crazy how worse it would be if Xbox didn't buy multiple publishers.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox one up’d app support. and with streaming intensifying entered that conversation, and had an interesting design.

Chukhopops

What if you had, you know, friends? It’s not like there were any good first party MP games on the other side of the fence.

I never regretted sticking to the One and buying a PS4 several years later to catch up on the exclusives.

SpokkX

It had the start of their best service title, sea of thieves (but that only got really good after series consoles released)…

Otherwise yeah slip pickings

Top Bottom