• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm just gonna come clean, Xbox One had the worst first party support for any major console of all time

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Dreamcast had an amazing first party library! It's stilly fav consoles till this day because of the first party games.

Xbox one did suck though. Completely slipped the console and I didn't miss nothing.

I was typing out a reply that for me it was mostly the third party content that made it.

Suddenly Skies of Arcadia popped into my head, which I completely forgot about.
I would say Skies alone beats any first party game on Xbox.

CeeJay

I had a blast with Xbox One. It was my first Xbox (Nintendo consoles all the way up until the Wii) so once BC games started rolling in it was like having 3 full generations of games available that I had mostly never played before. Also, as I only tend to buy one console (to go along with my PC) each generation there was all the third party games as well. After previously coming off the back of N64 and Gamecube where gaming droughts were real for months and months at a time (with no third party games to fill the holes) followed by the wagglathon that was the Wii with a flood of casual shovelware moving to Xbox was a breath of fresh air for me.

If you need to specifically look at first party only then you might have a point but to disregard all third party games turns it into just a thought experiment rather than an actual real situation that affected the system.

A quick check for the mainline TV systems i've owned shows the totals as;

SNES - 1757
N64 - 388
Gamecube - 653
Wii - 1637 (mostly shovelware)
Xbox One 2944 so far and not including BC i don't think (compared to PS4 that I didn't own that has 3273)

anthony2690

Banned
This post reminds me of the fact the most people only like a minority of a platforms exclusives. Xbox one didn't have the single payer spectacles that Sony had last gen, but still the gears games, quantum break and sea of thieves was the same amount of games I played on the competition.
I tend to like everything game wise, I was a multi platform gamer prior (switch, playstation, Xbox) before downsizing, it's a genuine struggle to keep up with games on one platform alone, let alone 3 and three different friends list (even though the switch one is useless as most games you can't even send invites to them on) & then obviously family life, work etc etc.

Not only that I had a habit off buying every game that took my fancy, meaning I had loads of games never played/still sealed (I still have this issue on one platform too tbh)

Hohenheim

I'm glad GigaBowser GigaBowser came clean with this. Now I know who to blame for the lacklustre first party offering during the One-era. It feels good to come clean. And you are forgiven.
BUT if Starfield gets further delays, there shall be no redemption for you, Giga Bowser!!

I’d say Saturn and Dreamcast had worse first party libraries.
They had tons excellent exclusive games, both consoles had amazing libraries for their time (PSX was still much better than the Saturn).

Exclusive games for the DC were ported when sega became third party, so it's less apparent by now... Still a million times better than a console that pretty much only hosts lesser versions of the same games as its competitor.

If MS doesn't fix the situation with their 26 studios (unsure of the number), the series consoles are headed for a worse generation.

But hey, who needs games when you have gamepass! 🤷

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I'm glad GigaBowser GigaBowser came clean with this. Now I know who to blame for the lacklustre first party offering during the One-era. It feels good to come clean. And you are forgiven.
BUT if Starfield gets further delays, there shall be no redemption for you, Giga Bowser!!
homer-simpson-shower.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They had tons excellent exclusive games, both consoles had amazing libraries for their time (PSX was still much better than the Saturn).

Exclusive games for the DC were ported when sega became third party, so it's less apparent by now... Still a million times better than a console that pretty much only hosts lesser versions of the same games as its competitor.

I realize when I typed that, that I forgot some games. Saturn was a very long time ago, and games are popping into my head again like Shining the Holy Ark and Die Hard Arcade.

Saturn was definitely better.

But Dreamcast…I’m not so sure really. I’m not counting games like Powerstone and Soul Calibur because it’s only about first party.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sega Saturn, loved it when I was younger.
& Atari Jaguar was a main contender back then, how old are you op?
Same with 3DO
& Commodore 64
Nah the Saturn actually has a better first party list than most Xbox Consoles.
And it didn't have a long life span either so that's impressive.

Nights into Dreams.
Burning Rangers.
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Remix
Astal
Clockwork Knight.
Clockwork Knight 2
Dragon Force
Dragon Force II
Sega Rally Championship
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Sega Touring Car Championship
Fighters Megamix.
Cyber Speedway.
Shining Force III
Dark Savior.
Daytona USA
Virtua Racing
Athlete Kings.
Deep Fear
Die Hard Arcade.
Fighting Vipers
Golden Axe: The Duel
Hang-On GP
Last Bronx
Manx TT SuperBike
Mystaria: The Realms of Lore.

I'm sure some are missing too

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Nah the Saturn actually has a better first party list than most Xbox Consoles.
And it didn't have a long life span either so that's impressive.

Nights into Dreams.
Burning Rangers.
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Remix
Astal
Clockwork Knight.
Clockwork Knight 2
Dragon Force
Dragon Force II
Sega Rally Championship
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Sega Touring Car Championship
Fighters Megamix.
Cyber Speedway.
Shining Force III
Dark Savior.
Daytona USA
Virtua Racing
Athlete Kings.
Deep Fear
Die Hard Arcade.
Fighting Vipers
Golden Axe: The Duel
Hang-On GP
Last Bronx
Manx TT SuperBike
Mystaria: The Realms of Lore.

And that's some of them
Tbh, I think the Saturn had a lot of incredible games especially for their time, I absolutely adored my Saturn :)

I do think a lot of older 3d games don't hold up well sadly though, this includes games on n64 and psone too.

But at the time I thought these games were absolutely incredible!

I find older 2D games tend to hold up a lot better, I might be in the minority though with this view.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Tbh, I think the Saturn had a lot of incredible games especially for their time, I absolutely adored my Saturn :)

I do think a lot of older 3d games don't hold up well sadly though, this includes games on n64 and psone too.

But at the time I thought these games were absolutely incredible!

I find older 2D games tend to hold up a lot better, I might be in the minority though with this view.
Nah you are absolutely right, 2d games don't age as much.
And some 3d games are just unplayable now.
But you can't fault Sega when it comes to support.
They was knocking them out and most of them was quality games.
Sega was a gamers company and they thought like gamers too.
All this stuff people suggest MS & Sony should do is exactly what Sega would have done and that's what ruined them.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Never in gaming history has there been a major console release from of the top players (Sony, MS, Sega, Nintendo) with worst first party support than the Xbox One, counting the main consoles from them (not side things like GameGear and Virtual Boy).

With few notable exceptions, Xbox One had the most generic, uninspired list of first party titles I have ever witnessed.

Don't get me wrong, Series X can count its lucky stars for Bethesda, because they easily have a way better lineup than MS's entire Xbox One first party roster.

This gen Asobo and Flight Sim are cool from MS this gen but it's more of a Google Earth type simulation.

Look at this list. For a mainstream console that was around so long this is abysmal.

Tell me you don’t have a Vita without telling me you don’t have a Vita

I was typing out a reply that for me it was mostly the third party content that made it.

Suddenly Skies of Arcadia popped into my head, which I completely forgot about.
I would say Skies alone beats any first party game on Xbox.

Also shenmue 1 and 2, chu chu rocket, sonic adventure 1 and 2, virtua fighter, crazy taxi, phantasy Star online,

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
How do you feel those games compare to stuff like Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World?
All good games for their genre but the racing genre is way more packed than Pikmin or 3D platformers like 3D World. Wii U had a lot more diversity. Xbox One was just Halo, Forza and Gears and a handfull of smaller franchises that weren't that compelling.

It felt like MS betrayed us after the greatness of the 360:lollipop_confounded:

Sgt.Asher

It was obvious from the get go when the first e3 showing the xbone talked more about TV than actual games. It was only good for playing older xbox games.

Bragr

Banned
All good games for their genre but the racing genre is way more packed than Pikmin or 3D platformers like 3D World. Wii U had a lot more diversity. Xbox One was just Halo, Forza and Gears and a handfull of smaller franchises that weren't that compelling.

It felt like MS betrayed us after the greatness of the 360:lollipop_confounded:
What do you point to being the Wii-U diversity? half of the Wii-U exclusives are trademark Nintendo offerings.

Never in gaming history has there been a major console release from of the top players (Sony, MS, Sega, Nintendo) with worst first party support than the Xbox One, counting the main consoles from them (not side things like GameGear and Virtual Boy).

With few notable exceptions, Xbox One had the most generic, uninspired list of first party titles I have ever witnessed.

Don't get me wrong, Series X can count its lucky stars for Bethesda, because they easily have a way better lineup than MS's entire Xbox One first party roster.

This gen Asobo and Flight Sim are cool from MS this gen but it's more of a Google Earth type simulation.

Look at this list. For a mainstream console that was around so long this is abysmal.

I think Sony published playstation 1 and 2 games is not to far behind the 1 so it's part of gaming Nintendo slip with the GameCube and WiiU

Top Bottom