• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm just gonna come clean, Xbox One had the worst first party support for any major console of all time

Xbox fan. Terrible generation. Bought a PS4 and was the best decision I made. Cbox one was my go to third party machine but terrible exclusives. But us holding them accountable is why they are doubling down on my favorite genre RPGs.

intbal

I got it for the BC games.
Then I bought the One X for the enhanced BC games.
Ultimately, I'm satisified with my purchases because they gave me precisely what I wanted.
However, if you were wanting a large library of AAA first party games, then I can see how the whole 8th gen from Microsoft could be considered a major disappointment.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Vita is not a major console, it was a portable and side platform from Sony.

Reread the OP.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Sony isn't some small indie hardware maker, vita had major bucks behind it and face planted the 1st party software.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Cuphead is Microsoft owned tho to a degree (they helpt financing it), same with Ori.

I think Ori even shows an Xbox Game Studios splash screen on Switch.
They did definitely part fund the IP but they own Ori, I might be wrong but they don’t own the Cuphead IP. It’s a great game though and I also associate it with Xbox.

Banned
They did definitely part fund the IP but they own Ori, I might be wrong but they don’t own the Cuphead IP. It’s a great game though and I also associate it with Xbox.

I think they don't own the ip Cuphead no, but they most likely have a say in where the game can be ported to.

ZoolNL

I agree. I absolutely wanted to buy one. I love the controller, the specs and the silence of the machine/architecture, but dammnnnn the first party is sloooow and not interesting.

Since you are "coming clean"
I am holding you personally responsible for the lack of first party support.
Do better next time.
Golden State Warriors No GIF by NBA
He doesn't understand how to use sayings like that. Waiting for, "hold my beer, but I think Sonic is a better platformer than Mario." Or, "not to throw stones in a glass house, but I think Fortnite is the greatest game since Roblox".

Never in gaming history has there been a major console release from of the top players (Sony, MS, Sega, Nintendo) with worst first party support than the Xbox One, counting the main consoles from them (not side things like GameGear and Virtual Boy).

With few notable exceptions, Xbox One had the most generic, uninspired list of first party titles I have ever witnessed.

Don't get me wrong, Series X can count its lucky stars for Bethesda, because they easily have a way better lineup than MS's entire Xbox One first party roster.

This gen Asobo and Flight Sim are cool from MS this gen but it's more of a Google Earth type simulation.

Look at this list. For a mainstream console that was around so long this is abysmal.

OP, any little critique towards Microsoft will get you crucified for trying to start a Console War or worst Gamepass slander.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This doesn't even make sense. Go to sleep, mate. You're tired.

Not at all. I bought the Saturn during the surprise launch and played all of its big games.

In 2022? I’d rather have stuff like Killer Instinct, Ryse, Ori, Forza Horizon 3, and even Halo 5. I know I’m forgetting a ton of stuff as well, but those are off the top of my head.

There’s next to nothing I’d care to play from the Saturn era save for the Virtua Cop games.

Last edited:
One of my biggest disappointments in gaming is Xbox One. I loved the OG and 360. There was a couple of games I liked, Sunset Overdrive in particular, other than that I hated what Xbox had become and particularly the people defending stuff

“Wait till E3”
“Uncle Phil”

And other shit like that. I’m not overly happy with Series X either but that is for another thread.

Last edited:

Warablo

As you can see why they bought a bunch of studios. Literally had like 5 studios at the start of Xbox One. Now at around 30+.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The best games on Xbox One were these 3rd party games imo

Ryse
Quantum Break
Dead Rising 3
Ori
Sunset Overdrive

Gears 5 and FH3 were the exceptions

Quantum Break alone says otherwise. Easily one of the best games all of last gen. Amazing story, great characters, some of the best gunplay there was (especially with the comboing of different powers), stunning visuals, excellent world building.

Need a sequel bad.

So now we know why MS is acquiring more studios. Xbox has never been reliant on first party support like Sony and certainly Nintendo. The most popular games thankfully are 3rd party and most of those titles are available on Xbox platforms today. Right now MS is leading with value and it is looking more and more like 2023 will be a pretty significant year for first party support just like 2021. Future is pretty bright.
It’s looking better I think, but what concerns me the most is if these acquired third party offerings will be worth the long strenuous wait.

PJX

Not at all. I bought the Saturn during the surprise launch and played all of its big games.

In 2022? I’d rather have stuff like Killer Instinct, Ryse, Ori, Forza Horizon 3, and even Halo 5. I know I’m forgetting a ton of stuff as well, but those are off the top of my head.

There’s next to nothing I’d care to play from the Saturn era save for the Virtua Cop games.
That's good for you.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Props to the Xbox hardcore fans for sticking through a generation like that, and that’s all I have to say. Ye has earned thy stripes

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Never saw a reason to own a green box, being a PC gamer and all that.

Still, you guys give first party exclusives too much value imo. I'm sure the Xbox One has tons of multiplat titles that make the console worth a purchase, specially if you happen to also like whatever exclusives it have.

Last edited:
Not only the first party output was terrible but the console itself is pretty useless given the direction MS took. Even old failed consoles are more collectible than it.

Last edited:
Wii U had Tropical Freeze, MK8, Smash 4, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Captain Toad, WW and TP remasters and Breath of the Wild.

Not the best line up ever, but an order of magnitudes better than the Xbox One.
kirby and the rainbow curse's gameplay is a lot better than i thought itd be. some great music too.
captain toad is classic.
mario party's layout isnt my favorite, but it has some of the best minigames of any entry.
and devil's third...

kyussman

And look at them now......I mean,still not many games....but they are coming I'm told.Seriously though,that's why constant doom threads about the big three are always so annoying,they all have the ablility to come back from less successful gens and they all have.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Can't see it being worse than the Wii-U. It still had Gears, Halo & Forza and a few other good ones.
Don't get me wrong, Wii U sucked and had no third party, but off the top of my head Bayonetta 2, BOTW, 3D World, MK8, Smash, X,

and even baby games like Captain Toad Captain Toad

Halo and Gears are not that great anymore.

Forza is good and so is Forza Horizon, but that's pretty weak overall.

Bethesda is way better than MS studio's last gen so at least Series X will have that. Activision as well but they're also pretty crap compared to Bethesda.

Last edited:
At one point it was actually getting brutal. I think it was 2018, when sony landed god of war and spider-man whilst Microsoft had flops like crackdown 3 and state of decay 2 in that same period. It was a joke.

Bragr

Banned
Don't get me wrong, Wii U sucked and had no third party, but off the top of my head Bayonetta 2, BOTW, 3D World, MK8, Smash, X,

and even baby games like Captain Toad Captain Toad

Halo and Gears are not that great anymore.

Forza is good and so is Forza Horizon, but that's pretty weak overall.

Bethesda is way better than MS studio's last gen so at least Series X will have that. Activision as well but they're also pretty crap compared to Bethesda.
Halo and Gears are still fine, just not what they once were. The Wii-U just doesn't have enough games.

Gears of War 4
Gears 5
Gears Tactics
Grounded
Halo 5
Halo Infinite
Halo Wars 2
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Forza Horizon 4
Forza Horizon 5
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Quantum Break
Rare Replay
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Sunset Overdrive

Banjo64

cumsessed
Halo and Gears are still fine, just not what they once were. The Wii-U just doesn't have enough games.

Gears of War 4
Gears 5
Gears Tactics
Grounded
Halo 5
Halo Infinite
Halo Wars 2
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Forza Horizon 4
Forza Horizon 5
Forza Motorsport 5