• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry Retro fans, Dread is better than Prime

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes it's all true, Mercury Steam has bested Retro, but I just started Dread the other days and realized that it has better moment to moments gameplay than Prime.

Only things about Prime is that it has better music.

Bosses, story, gameplay, combat all better in Dread.

and the EMMI are awesome AI enemies, not sure what in tarnation people are talking about.

PS Dread is also the best 2D Metroid the older ones are like 8-bit and 16-bit style indie games in comparison.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
One is 3D and has far superior atmosphere, worldbuilding, lore, exploration and graphics. It also has the best combat mechanics in the series (well, the prime trilogy does)

The other is a retread of the 2D games that while unique doesn't do much to push the series forward mechanically. It's really just a bone Nintendo threw Metroid fans while they're chomping at the bit for Prime 4.

Last edited:
shaq-laugh-shaq.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And Super is better than both.
it's better than neither
Super is good but suffers from terrible controls that make it a bitch to play. every single 2d game that would come out later controls far better, despite all of them being on handhelds. Everything else about it is amazing but it's also mostly stuff prime did better thanks to being on a more powerful console.

Comandr

Bahrain No GIF by CRO & KNIT

I really don’t have a lot more to add that 64bitmodels 64bitmodels succinct comment didn’t touch beyond that I completely agree and dread’s final 5 minutes and cutscene were fucking lame bullshit.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I love Metroid Dread. Super slick gameplay, beautiful 2D graphics (that looks incredible on OLED), tight level design, tense boss encounters and chase sequences with EMMI, and an overall awesome OST. But to say it's better than Prime is just flat out wrong, especially now that Nintendo remade it so superbly. Prime is a legendary game and the crown jewel of the Metroid franchise. No disrespect to Mercury Steam, they have an excellent output in regards to Metroid, but they will never top Metroid Prime, or even the Prime-series.

Melter

Sorry, you’re wrong.

Metroid Dread was a good entry but Prime is just on a different level in terms of atmosphere, graphics (the original for its time as well as the remaster), soundtrack, and exploration.

I personally think the transition to 2.5D since Sami’s Returns has been a bit bland compared to the pure 2D metroids, it’s like these games don’t know exactly what they want to be.

Barakov

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Also the EMMI suck and are annoying to deal with. It was a one trick pony that went on for too long.

While I'll agree that Metroid Dread is a good entry, saying that it's the best 2d entry is insane.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Did Dread have a better soundtrack than Prime? I’d say it didn’t. That’s about the only comparison I’d make.

Both were labors of love for the Metroid franchise, but Dread isn’t very old. Prime has been a classic since it came out on GameCube. I’d say give Metroid another couple entries and then do this little comparison.

supernova8

Banned
Haven't played Prime but it doesn't look like a game I'd enjoy. Then again I thought the same of Dread and then actually played it and fuuuuuucking loved it. Hands down one of my favorite titles on the Switch. I think it's just the slick movement animations and transitions. It feels good to play. Reminds me of the feeling I got back when I tried Vanquish for the first time.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Dread could have at least let you remap the buttons.
I hate dread's controls.
I dread them every time I try to play.

1/2 joking

Corian33

This is just wrong. Dread is absolutely solid and I enjoyed it all the way through. However, Prime had a vibe and atmosphere that I can still vividly picture in my mind TWENTY years later. Like, I can feel the rain tapping on my helmet and hear the melancholy music playing.

Dread I remember the gameplay but nothing else.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Haven't played Prime but it doesn't look like a game I'd enjoy. Then again I thought the same of Dread and then actually played it and fuuuuuucking loved it. Hands down one of my favorite titles on the Switch. I think it's just the slick movement animations and transitions. It feels good to play. Reminds of the feeling I got back when I tried Vanquish for the first time.
Yes people may tells you Prime is better BUT the gameplay is clunkier and feels old in comparison. It's not as fun to play.

Jsisto

Your mom was better to me than both. 😏

Theyre both excellent games. I’d have to go with Prime personally, but if we’re talking about a purely pick up and play, easily replayable classic style Metroid game, Dread is the best in the series. Prime is a very different beast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom