• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry Retro fans, Dread is better than Prime

skit_data

I think it’s very hard to compare Prime and the ”2D” Metroid games because the gameplay feels so different and depending on the day I’d say either Super Metroid or Metroid Prime is the better one.

Sadly I have yet to play Metroid Dread outside of the free demo, but I could already tell it’s probably another contender for the top spot.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think it’s very hard to compare Prime and the ”2D” Metroid games because the gameplay feels so different and depending on the day I’d say either Super Metroid or Metroid Prime is the better one.

Sadly I have yet to play Metroid Dread outside of the free demo, but I could already tell it’s probably another contender for the top spot.
It's your lucky day, Dread is better than the other 2D Metroids.

Marvel14

Banned
Bbc Pbs GIF by Sherlock

Pejo

I agree OP. I never liked the FPS metroids tbh. 2D is the way to go.

Super > Dread > Samus Returns > Zero Mission > Prime Remake > Prime Trilogy is my ordering.

Dread was so damn good and it had to be a glitch in this cursed timeline to even exist.

I enjoy Dread but I really don’t understand the overwhelming praise that gets heaped upon it. It’s good but it’s really just ‘another one of those’ games. Super Metroid is better. Zero Mission is better. I’d probably rank it above Fusion but the stealth parts in Dread are terrible so I don’t know. Prime is way ahead of it though.

SJRB

Gold Member
i thought OP was talking about that fishing game called Dread that just released and that made their post very confusing for a bit.

mcjmetroid

it's better than neither
Super is good but suffers from terrible controls that make it a bitch to play. every single 2d game that would come out later controls far better, despite all of them being on handhelds. Everything else about it is amazing but it's also mostly stuff prime did better thanks to being on a more powerful console.
I love super and I kinda agree. The controls haven't aged too well. It's by no means awful it's still very playable.
Also mariadia with the sinking sand is frustrating as shit.

Honestly if it was about 3 times longer I'd be giving the crown to Metroid zero mission.

I can't give the best Metroid games to the primes because of the ridiculous end game missions they put you through.

I think Dread is probably better overall.

hyperbertha

Dread is far too linear and restrictive for me to enjoy. I also hated the story and don't feel the emmi sections added much to the game either. Its pretty close to the bottom as far as Metroid games go for me.
There is nothing emergent in dread. No real metroidvania style exploration, trial and error emmi sections that become piss easy with foresight. Horrible design. The praise is wholly undeserved. Boss fights were reused too.

GametimeUK

They are both excellent games, but I enjoy Metroid Prime more. I can see why someone would choose Dread its a special game.

Zuzu

I might agree with you but not completely sure. Both games are neck and neck with one another in excellence.

Thaedolus

Other M is better than Dread
^this guy gets it
What, bad taste? Trolling?

Prime nails the Metroid formula in 3D, but gets bested by its own sequel in several key areas (like not having convoluted routes to traverse to backtrack over and over again), but on the other hand Dread kinda fucks up the Metroid formula by setting you on a path where you can’t go back…but it plays like a dream. Dread’s soundtrack is its weakest points while Prime’s is one of its strongest. Samus controls like a lumbering tank in Prime while Dread has the best controls in not just any Metroid but any game in the whole genre.

Maybe it’s fun to have a hot take and declare one or the other way better but I’d have to choose my favorite kid here

Teletraan1

Banned
I actually enjoyed all of the 2D and 2D ish Metriods. Did not like the Prime series at all. I would bet that most people who prefer prime here had prime as their first introduction to metroid so they like it the best. Inversely my first exposure to Metroid was the first game so my nostalgia is leaning towards what I grew up with. This is not a specific phenomena to Metroid, it happens in all type of media. There are actually people who were children when the prequel Star Wars came out and that was their first introduction to Star Wars. They have nostalgia for the prequels and somehow put them above the OG Trilogy. I encountered two of these MF'ers during my Easter dinner last night. Both of my nieces SO's were introduced to Star Wars with the prequels.

It also could be that they prefer a completely different genre of games. FPS with clunky controls was not my genre of choice so naturally I would gravitate towards something that actually played well.

Last edited:
Both games are excellent, but have one major flaw each that can be mitigated to a degree.

Prime 1 has the artifact hunt, which on replays you can do as you go along the main path, so it’s not so bad.

Dread reuses mini bosses way too much. In Samus Returns it was understandable because the whole point was the fight the different metroids. I didn’t need to fight Chozo Warriors so many times in Dread. Luckily you can skip some of them with sequence breaking if you want. They also reuse the Emmis a lot, though unlike some people I don’t mind them because they’re more like puzzles than bosses, where you have to figure out the level layout and how best to line up the shot for them.

Also Dread has one of the most lackluster soundtracks in the series, while Prime has one of the best.

kunonabi

I actually enjoyed all of the 2D and 2D ish Metriods. Did not like the Prime series at all. I would bet that most people who prefer prime here had prime as their first introduction to metroid so they like it the best. Inversely my first exposure to Metroid was the first game so my nostalgia is leaning towards what I grew up with. This is not a specific phenomena to Metroid, it happens in all type of media. There are actually people who were children when the prequel Star Wars came out and that was their first introduction to Star Wars. They have nostalgia for the prequels and somehow put them above the OG Trilogy. I encountered two of these MF'ers during my Easter dinner last night. Both of my nieces SO's were introduced to Star Wars with the prequels.

It also could be that they prefer a completely different genre of games. FPS with clunky controls was not my genre of choice so naturally I would gravitate towards something that actually played well.
Nah, I grew up with the first Metroid and Prime resembles the original trilogy more than Dread which is basically pinnacle of Sakamoto's desire to make the series more and more linear with Zero Mission, Fusion, and Other M. It's arguably the most linear it just does an amazing job of fooling people into thinking they have the agency of the older games. Prime mostly misses out on the action end of things which is a small price to pay for everything else it gets right. I mean the fluid action and creativity of Metroid's original design only really resurfaced in Other M anyway.

Calverz

Both are excellent. I loved dread but hated playing it with an analog stick. Would rather play it with a dpad which is impossible I know.

Fbh

I like Prime better.
It's also a more unique game in that it successfully adapted the Metroid formula to 3D like no other game before (or since).
Dread is just another modern metroidvania. A good one for sure but nothing special IMO

Shut0wen

Shit bait, both games are completely different from each other, though i always preferred 2d metroid games to all the primes

Top Bottom