• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry Retro fans, Dread is better than Prime

jaysius

Banned
Metroid Dread is worse than the shittiest indie metroidvania.

Those hacks have awful art direction, the design wasn't even that great to navigate, their 3 stage boss fight was blah.

The robot "puzzle" bullshit where you had to basically stand on an EXACT SPOT to kill it fully, that was pure hack indie trash.

Fuck Dread, it's not a Metroid game, it's a joke.

Mr Branding

Dread is one of the best metroidvanias I’ve ever played. The gameplay is super tight and streamlined. It is also one of the best Switch exclusives. That last boss was pure gameplay bliss.

Playing Prime atm and while a great game in its own right it didn’t grab me the same as Dread.

I've never played Dread and it's still worse than Prime.

Jerry Seinfeld Lol GIF

Kamina

Golden Boy
Both are equally good for what they are. Which you prefer is entirely based on your preferences of what you want Metroid to be.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do you really have to make cringe click bait thread title? Just make normal thread discussing why you like Dread more than Prime.

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It's your lucky day, Dread is better than the other 2D Metroids.
No it fucking isn't. I bought that shit day one full price. I will never play it again in this temporary existence, I'll gladly play Zero Mission or Super or Fusion again. Dread is a dull game with annoying mechanics.

Haha don't let the robots catch you!

Also I hated on Prime because I didn't like it back in the day, been replaying the Remaster on Switch. Enjoying it 50x more than Dread.

Kuranghi

My entrance to Metroid was with Prime 1 and 2 a few years after launch. Then I played the 2D games - First Zero Mission, then AM2R, then Super and finally Fusion, wasn't into og M1 and certainly not og M2 and I tried Samus Returns on 3DS but didn't like it so went with AM2R as my M2 equivalent, which was amazing) - all in a row, back to back in 2021. I played Dread on release and loved it.

I still adore Metroid Prime 1 (MP2 beats it out in so many ways for me but probably still give crown to MP1 by the tiniest of margins) and its my favourite but ZM, AM2R and Super are all god tier games also and I wouldn't say they are worse than MP1/2, can't compare them. Fusion I also really really like and totally love parts of it but the linearity is annoying for me, I love to go back in Metroid at any moment, you can only do that right at the end in Fusion and even then you need to find the elevator skipping shortcuts for some of it I believe (it would've been too annoying without a few hints from walkthrough).

All of them have weaknesses to me, ZM was too hard to 100%, some of the shinesparking required was too much for me, in AM2R, Super, Fusion and Dread I never felt like the tasks were annoying, I knew what I had to do and it was tricky sometimes but the difficulty came more in working it out than actually performing the inputs. Except maybe that Super shinespark + ball spark one where you can to run in from offscreen and stop within very few frames of time and then do several sparks in a row lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Super metroid
Metroid fusion
Metroid zero mission

Are all better then dread and prime

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Dread is one of the best metroidvanias I’ve ever played. The gameplay is super tight and streamlined. It is also one of the best Switch exclusives. That last boss was pure gameplay bliss.

Playing Prime atm and while a great game in its own right it didn’t grab me the same as Dread.
Yes as many people are saying the gameplay is much better in Dread.

Prime is very old now.

Most peoples like Dread better which explains sales.
oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Thaedolus

Metroid Dread is worse than the shittiest indie metroidvania.

Those hacks have awful art direction, the design wasn't even that great to navigate, their 3 stage boss fight was blah.

The robot "puzzle" bullshit where you had to basically stand on an EXACT SPOT to kill it fully, that was pure hack indie trash.

Fuck Dread, it's not a Metroid game, it's a joke.
BAHAHAHAHAA GET FUCKED BANNED BOI

I just ran through Dread again and it’s probably the best Metroid since Super. Prime 2 probably is up there too. Major negative is the soundtrack, it seriously had to have been composed by someone’s brother in law that needed work, the only upsides are old themes…Brinstar depths and the main theme are 🔥

Now I kinda want to do another hard mode run, but not sure my house needs my loud cursing again.

Little Mac

Prime is my favorite game of all time. Haven't played Dread because I've been waiting forever for Nintendo to release a new Switch so I'm not going to comment on its quality ... but I highly doubt it hits as hard as Prime. Can't wait to find out though.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I like Dread more then Prime because it continued the story and the story was VERY GOOD. And introduced a dynamic to Chozo race. Lots of Lore drops.

Prime and Dread are 2 slice of Metroid and I love them both.

Last edited:
Dread was great and arguably has the best gameplay of any Metroidvania, however Metroid is more than just its moment to moment gameplay. The atmosphere, music, feeling of mystery and discovery and Prime has it beat in everything else. I think if Mercury steam could nail the atmosphere, they would have the potential to make the best metroid game. IMO Hollow Knight already combined both aspects.

ReBurn

Gold Member
BAHAHAHAHAA GET FUCKED BANNED BOI

I just ran through Dread again and it’s probably the best Metroid since Super. Prime 2 probably is up there too. Major negative is the soundtrack, it seriously had to have been composed by someone’s brother in law that needed work, the only upsides are old themes…Brinstar depths and the main theme are 🔥

Now I kinda want to do another hard mode run, but not sure my house needs my loud cursing again.
ron burgundy GIF

MiguelItUp

I thought Dread was fine, but I didn't really think it was worth full price. I got through it pretty quickly. Prime I never really got into, even though I've loved FPSs since I was a kid. I tried playing the first one when it dropped, it didn't click, I put it down and never picked it back up. Didn't bother with the others. I don't think anything will ever exceed Super Metroid for me, but man if another Metroid would get close to it OR exceed it, I'd love it.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm at the very end of Dread, just the final bosses, and the answer is no.
I don't like Dread.
Super Metroid is better, and the NES Metroid is the best 2D.
Prime is God tier gaming.

Last edited:

IAmRei

i'm always craving for metroid. replaying once each year... as for me, i love both. while my favorite for years was prime and zero also fusion. back when i started dread, i knew this will be my fave metroid as well. the two i didn't bother to play is other m and metroid federation (if it's can called metroid). although i want to try that too as well.

IAmRei

I've never played a Metroid game - so they can't be that good.
is this sarkasm? i don't know what to say to people who don't like it (that's if they know about it or never try it) maybe also generation gap or lost to 70s - 80s - 90s people who often to pllay 2D platformer/action back then. but as scifi goes (that's if one love sci fi), metroid is helluva lot of crazy sci fi things. especially biopunk (mostly in colorful way maybe because of nintendo policy).

I'm at the very end of Dread, just the final bosses, and the answer is no.
I don't like Dread.
Super Metroid is better, and the NES Metroid is the best 2D.
Prime is God tier gaming.

I'm all for representing the NES, but OG Metroid mostly aged like milk.

If there's one thing about Dread, it's that I wish there was an option for single button tap weapon toggling rather than the hold-down option. The latter was an unfortunate artifact of the GBA's lack of buttons.

Top Bottom