• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry Retro fans, Dread is better than Prime

Dread is the best 2D Metroid, yes.

I think it’s better than the original release of Prime, but Prime Remastered is GOAT-tier release.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
is this sarkasm?
Joe Biden Yes GIF by The Democrats

cireza

Dread was fine but it is quite far from outclassing the originals, 2D and 3D.

The fact that the world is not properly connected is a failure for a 2D game. Art direction is not great either, places aren't as memorable as in the older games. And you are constantly put on rails which is really annoying.

Nice try, but it was classed as on rails shooter. I guess you might class Tomb Raider as a 3rd person shooter
That's my point. Genres can share certain characteristics, attributes and traits but in this example, Panzer Dragoon, despite mostly shooting in a third person perspective doesn't mean it belongs in the third person shooter category. Metroid Prime being a first person game doesn't mean it's a First Person Shooter. Tomb Raider isn't a third person shooter. It shares attributes but that's not the genre it belongs to. The list could go on. Exhumed/Powerslave is predominantly a First Person Shooter and belongs in the same genre as Doom/Quake etc. Metroid Prime doesn't belong with them.

weird comparison, one is a side scroller and one is an fps. both are great, dread does bring it back to the original side scroller which i like but i also liked the fps style.

Puscifer

No thanks, I'll play the one that doesn't make me shoot at walls for 45 minutes just to advance the plot another 10 minutes. This was needed when you had to make people rent your game multiple times but that shit is so unnecessary, it's up there with Red Dead Redemption 2 in terms of not respecting my time.

That's my point. Genres can share certain characteristics, attributes and traits but in this example, Panzer Dragoon, despite mostly shooting in a third person perspective doesn't mean it belongs in the third person shooter category. Metroid Prime being a first person game doesn't mean it's a First Person Shooter. Tomb Raider isn't a third person shooter. It shares attributes but that's not the genre it belongs to. The list could go on. Exhumed/Powerslave is predominantly a First Person Shooter and belongs in the same genre as Doom/Quake etc. Metroid Prime doesn't belong with them.

I myself always classed Panzer as a 3D shooter, myself . You seem to get so hung up about calling Prime as FPS as like it's sort of slur or insult to the game .

And if you really think Exhumed plays like most FPS, you're clearly haven't played it or got for into the game . It plays so much like Super Metroid only from a FPS point of view . It was the Metroid Prime if the 90s

I myself always classed Panzer as a 3D shooter, myself . You seem to get so hung up about calling Prime as FPS as like it's sort of slur or insult to the game .

And if you really think Exhumed plays like most FPS, you're clearly haven't played it or got for into the game . It plays so much like Super Metroid only from a FPS point of view . It was the Metroid Prime if the 90s
I'm not hung up. I'm mearly stating Metroid Prime isn't an FPS. Exhumed is an FPS game. This is general consensus. I wish I didn't say anything now because I don't really care all that much lol. Take care my friend.

IAmRei

i think, dread should be tested by time as well, i mean, the older metroids had tested by time as well. let's see in some years, then

If you've only played Dread, then definitely.

Nah, old 2D Metroid in general is overrated AF, Super Metroid might be the most overrated game of all time. Running around shooting and bombing walls trying to find an invisible path forward is trash tier game design and they literally all do this, over and over. I played Fusion again with it's NSO release to see if it was dumbass young me that just "didn't get it" at the time and nah, that game just kinda sucks. That series didn't get good until Prime.

Nah, old 2D Metroid in general is overrated AF, Super Metroid might be the most overrated game of all time. Running around shooting and bombing walls trying to find an invisible path forward is trash tier game design and they literally all do this, over and over. I played Fusion again with it's NSO release to see if it was dumbass young me that just "didn't get it" at the time and nah, that game just kinda sucks. That series didn't get good until Prime.
Thats Me Jason Sudeikis GIF by Saturday Night Live

I'm not hung up. I'm mearly stating Metroid Prime isn't an FPS. Exhumed is an FPS game. This is general consensus. I wish I didn't say anything now because I don't really care all that much lol. Take care my friend.
The general consensus. Is that code for you haven't played Exhumed/Powerslave.

I remember the days when Metroid was classed as a Platform game back on the NES.

The general consensus. Is that code for you haven't played Exhumed/Powerslave.

I remember the days when Metroid was classed as a Platform game back on the NES.
How is "the general consesus" code for "I haven't played it? I've played it on the Saturn ages ago. It's an ok FPS. Doom and Duke Nukem 3D wipe the floor with it.

How is "the general consesus" code for "I haven't played it? I've played it on the Saturn ages ago. It's an ok FPS. Doom and Duke Nukem 3D wipe the floor with it.
Because if you 'had' played it you would not it's not your typical FPS Doom clone and it was Metroid Prime of its day

Duke wipes the floor with everything, Baby

Because if you 'had' played it you would not it's not your typical FPS Doom clone and it was Metroid Prime of its day

Duke wipes the floor with everything, Baby
The 'Metroid Prime of its day' is Super Metroid. It's literally the same thing in a different perspective. I know it's not a typical Doom clone, I didn't say that. It's the same genre though. I love this idea that because I don't think Powerslave is the 'Metroid Prime of its day', I haven't played it. I played it and it's an FPS.

Seider

So, Spanish team Mercury Steam has done a good job with Metroid Dreed? Nice.

And about the Dreed Vs Prime issue, i dont think a 2d platform should be compared with a 3d one. And both are great games in their respective genre.

just too easy and linear everywhere else.
You got it backwards.
Prime's the most dull and linear walking-thru-tube simulator, which literally can be played with your feet.
There are no meaningful secrets. There are no cool sequence breaks. Basically no shortcuts, so you have to backtrack the exact way you came. You're just walking down corridors in a set sequence, you just don't know the sequence right away, mostly because of the absolute dogshit map. Guess that's what rose-tinted nostalgia-brains call "exploration".
Yeah damn, I guess in the end you can collect those chozo artifacts in any order. Who gives a shit, picking them up in whatever order doesn't affect anything, you still have to haul ass everywhere the same way you did when you went there the first time.
Do I even need to qualify this by saying I'd played Prime for the first time when remaster came out? And it's so much worse compared to Dread, you gotta be REALLY high on nostalgia not to see it.
And for my biggest hot take, music is MEH in all of them. Shit sounds like what kids have been doing in Fruity Loops in 2002.

cireza

You got it backwards.
Prime's the most dull and linear walking-thru-tube simulator, which literally can be played with your feet.
There are no meaningful secrets. There are no cool sequence breaks. Basically no shortcuts, so you have to backtrack the exact way you came. You're just walking down corridors in a set sequence, you just don't know the sequence right away, mostly because of the absolute dogshit map. Guess that's what rose-tinted nostalgia-brains call "exploration".
Yeah damn, I guess in the end you can collect those chozo artifacts in any order. Who gives a shit, picking them up in whatever order doesn't affect anything, you still have to haul ass everywhere the same way you did when you went there the first time.
Do I even need to qualify this by saying I'd played Prime for the first time when remaster came out? And it's so much worse compared to Dread, you gotta be REALLY high on nostalgia not to see it.
And for my biggest hot take, music is MEH in all of them. Shit sounds like what kids have been doing in Fruity Loops in 2002.
Metroid Prime being known for a notable break at the very beginning of the game makes your complaint about the absence of Sequence Breaks hilarious.

Last edited:
You got it backwards.
Replace Hot with Shit and this all makes sense.

Ristifer

You got it backwards.
Ah yes. It has to be nostalgia. The pinhead's argument cometh.

mcjmetroid

I think prime is better but I hate the "gather 8 mcguffins" section at the end of every prime game. So yes I think dread could take it
Tbh hallow knight and ori and the will of the wisps are better than both anyway

Ah yes. It has to be nostalgia. The pinhead's argument cometh.
I played through both within couple of months of each other.
I'm ready to go into the weeds on this.
Give me your best argument for Prime being better that's not the tired "mUh eXpLoRaTiOn" and "mUh aTmOsPhErEeEe".
Oh yeah, there's also "mUh LoRe". Motherfucker, it's a T-rated Aliens knock off.
Chozo are space jockeys. Metroid are Aliens. Shit, it has a monster named fucking Ridley. Take a hint.

Ristifer

I played through both within couple of months of each other.
I'm ready to go into the weeds on this.
Give me your best argument for Prime being better that's not the tired "mUh eXpLoRaTiOn" and "mUh aTmOsPhErEeEe".
Oh yeah, there's also "mUh LoRe". Motherfucker, it's a T-rated Aliens knock off.
Chozo are space jockeys. Metroid are Aliens. Shit, it has a monster named fucking Ridley. Take a hint.
I never said anything about better. The fact is that the game can still be tremendously enjoyable, separate from comparisons, and still have nothing to do with pure nostalgia.

I never said anything about better. The fact is that the game can still be tremendously enjoyable, separate from comparisons, and still have nothing to do with pure nostalgia.
Then your replies are misplaced, as I very clearly used nostalgia in the context of comparing Prime with Dread.
Prime's not terrible. It's one of those games that are described with "WAS GOOD FOR ITS TIME".
It's just after all the hype and 10/10s the remaster got, I'm baffled at just how many steps back it is from Dread.
And nothing triggers me more in this comparison than people gassing up eXpLoRaTiOn in Prime.

Typical exploration in Dread: Ah, that whole area is on fire now, how do I navigate to the other side? If I had double jump I could go through here, but I guess there's a trickier side path I can go through using cloak. Yep, I can.
Typical exploration in Prime: Oh, there's a door my new beam can open, just through this tunnel 5 minutes of walk time from here, makes sense. Easy, now I'm here and... wait, the tunnel's blocked? Why the fuck is it blocked? Why does it show a clear path on the map tho? Fuck. Guess I'll walk for 5 minutes towards some random path and hope there's no other such bullshit on my way there (there is) and maybe finally some use for my new gadget (there isn't). EXPLORATION!

It's like, I know where I'm supposed to be going in both games, but Prime constantly cockblocks my path in the most retardedly contrived ways possible. And they've got the whole upgrade pickups thing backwards. Rocket capacity upgrades are ALL teased way ahead of time to the point where you don't even bother coming back for them they're so far back. And actual suit upgrades are given out with very little prelude or fanfare. Some of them are stored in some little shithouse off to the side you didn't bother walking into at first cause it looked like an ammo station room. And that's the game's strongest point? And we're not even comparing actual gameplay mechanics which nobody even contends that Dread does a lot better.

I'm willing to try the Prime sequals, the word is they are better. But then again, the word was that Prime is better than Dread, and having tried it, it absolutely fucking isn't.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

i liked Dread. I finished it. I think for me playing a 2d game is just easier to get into and enjoy and time wise fits into my schedule easier.

Dread had a lot of uneveness to it though. Sometimes I would go awhile without getting an upgrade and other times I would quickly get a bunch of new upgrades/items with not time to really use/digest what I got. I felt it needed a little more craftsmanship in that regard. Similar with sometimes you would fight a few hard enemies close together and other times nothing. OR a non boss was tougher than a boss. ...and some of the items/upgrades you get is stuff to get rather than something actually needed and that interesting.

And the backtracking and where to go in Dread was too on rails. Oh and the death robots...that was a little uneven as well. A lot of dying there. But was interesting idea.

I haven't played the remaster of MP yet. Not sure I will. My memory says it was a time sink and required some patience to get through that world. But MP back in the day floored me. It was a great gaming experience.

I never had that with Dread so I can't say it is better than the MP I played at least. I just had a nicely done 2d Metroid game with responsive controls and nice graphics and had most of the Metroid nostalgia I remembered from Prime. But it wasn't a classic.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Then your replies are misplaced, as I very clearly used nostalgia in the context of comparing Prime with Dread.
Prime's not terrible. It's one of those games that are described with "WAS GOOD FOR ITS TIME".
It's just after all the hype and 10/10s the remaster got, I'm baffled at just how many steps back it is from Dread.
And nothing triggers me more in this comparison than people gassing up eXpLoRaTiOn in Prime.

Typical exploration in Dread: Ah, that whole area is on fire now, how do I navigate to the other side? If I had double jump I could go through here, but I guess there's a trickier side path I can go through using cloak. Yep, I can.
Typical exploration in Prime: Oh, there's a door my new beam can open, just through this tunnel 5 minutes of walk time from here, makes sense. Easy, now I'm here and... wait, the tunnel's blocked? Why the fuck is it blocked? Why does it show a clear path on the map tho? Fuck. Guess I'll walk for 5 minutes towards some random path and hope there's no other such bullshit on my way there (there is) and maybe finally some use for my new gadget (there isn't). EXPLORATION!

It's like, I know where I'm supposed to be going in both games, but Prime constantly cockblocks my path in the most retardedly contrived ways possible. And they've got the whole upgrade pickups thing backwards. Rocket capacity upgrades are ALL teased way ahead of time to the point where you don't even bother coming back for them they're so far back. And actual suit upgrades are given out with very little prelude or fanfare. Some of them are stored in some little shithouse off to the side you didn't bother walking into at first cause it looked like an ammo station room. And that's the game's strongest point? And we're not even comparing actual gameplay mechanics which nobody even contends that Dread does a lot better.

I'm willing to try the Prime sequals, the word is they are better. But then again, the word was that Prime is better than Dread, and having tried it, it absolutely fucking isn't.
Ahh, I see. So, nostalgia used in a comparison context to belittle Prime and those that enjoy it, and I can't use exploration, lore, and atmosphere to defend Prime at all. But yet, suit upgrades getting little fanfare, being cockblocked from taking paths, and not walking into rooms because they look like ammo stations are the truly admissible criticisms.

Interesting approach, I guess.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Metroid Prime combats has no physics I donts even

how can you say thats not impordant my friends I don't understand this

I kind of like Dread. I've tried a few times to get into it. I don't really like the evasion sequences and the graphics irk me for some reason (artistically). But I did get farther each time I tried it and I will beat it someday, but it felt more like Fusion than Super or Zero to me both of which I prefer to Fusion. I love Prime.

So, nostalgia used in a comparison context to belittle Prime and those that enjoy it, and I can't use exploration, lore, and atmosphere to defend Prime at all.
You're not wrong for liking Prime for whatever reason, including nostalgia.
You're factually wrong for saying Prime is better than Dread and I explained why all those listed aspects don't actually favor it, if you play it for the first time in 2023. Aka not huffing nostalgia.
I don't know why you're struggling with this concept, especially since you're not willing to debate the nitty gritty of it. All you can muster is dismissive passive-aggressive drive-by jabs. Find a pair of balls and commit to a tangible argument if you wanna defend your sacred cow.
Dread being an objectively better designed game makes you feel attacked so much?

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Dread when I played it but I don't think it'll be a title I'll go back to unlike Fusion or Zero Mission. Prime however, I could just never get into. I actually prefer Other M of all things. I know I know, it doesn't make any sense but Prime got stale while Other M kept me engaged

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I presume this is why they don‘t call you Most Excellent Arachno-Lad.

Dread is piss easy. The last boss is a fucking joke. The layout of the whole game feels like a hack job.
The layout of the game is actually very well made. There’s lot of little things that guide you ahead to previously unexplored areas. It does a good job of holding your hand subtly, compared to Super Metroid just dropping you in places and leaving you do some guessing in so many instances.
Zero Mission and those statues highlighting your next goal on the map, now that was a hack job.

About the last boss, the fact that so many people (even among old fans) seemed to have trouble with it says a lot about how much many people have lost touch with the frantic action of old games.

Anyway, I don‘t see where and how Dread beats Prime.
Interaction with your surroundings in Prime is so much more interesting, what with the different visors, the different environments, the scans, the switches, the grapple beam, etc.
The secrets in Prime are much more than ”bomb/X-Ray random wall”. And have fun going back later to hidden power-ups in Dread, it’s no way more fun than in Prime.
Combat in 2D is of course a bit more hectic, but major fights in Dread are pretty formulaic and repetitive, and no boss in the game is as cool or tactical as Prime’s best fights.
Storytelling in Prime is on a wholly different level, and let’s not even talk about the music, where Prime is pretty much in another galaxy.

Dread is a solid game, but it can’t touch Prime.

Top Bottom