• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry Retro fans, Dread is better than Prime

Ristifer

I presume this is why they don‘t call you Most Excellent Arachno-Lad.

The layout of the game is actually very well made. There’s lot of little things that guide you ahead to previously unexplored areas. It does a good job of holding your hand subtly, compared to Super Metroid just dropping you in places and leaving you do some guessing in so many instances.
Zero Mission and those statues highlighting your next goal on the map, now that was a hack job.

About the last boss, the fact that so many people (even among old fans) seemed to have trouble with it says a lot about how much many people have lost touch with the frantic action of old games.

Anyway, I don‘t see where and how Dread beats Prime.
Interaction with your surroundings in Prime is so much more interesting, what with the different visors, the different environments, the scans, the switches, the grapple beam, etc.
The secrets in Prime are much more than ”bomb/X-Ray random wall”. And have fun going back later to hidden power-ups in Dread, it’s no way more fun than in Prime.
Combat in 2D is of course a bit more hectic, but major fights in Dread are pretty formulaic and repetitive, and no boss in the game is as cool or tactical as Prime’s best fights.
Storytelling in Prime is on a wholly different level, and let’s not even talk about the music, where Prime is pretty much in another galaxy.

Dread is a solid game, but it can’t touch Prime.
Careful. You can't use lore or atmosphere, things in which Prime clearly excels, as positives about the game anymore.

And have fun going back later to hidden power-ups in Dread, it’s no way more fun than in Prime.
Oh I did.
Imagine the level of nostalgic brain rot to think that melting some ice with ice melting beam and walking up to a missile capacity upgrade behind it, is more fun or "interesting" or whatever, than this:

Careful. You can't use lore or atmosphere, things in which Prime clearly excels, as positives about the game anymore.
I asked for your best argument, and you backed right off.
Because neither of you actually remembers shit about the game, besides pleasant memories of playing it back in the day. You can't go toe to toe with someone who has it fresh in their memory.
So do brother a solid and stay quiet in your cuck chair.

Ristifer

Oh I did.
Imagine the level of nostalgic brain rot to think that melting some ice with ice melting beam and walking up to a missile capacity upgrade behind it, is more fun or "interesting" or whatever, than this:

I asked for your best argument, and you backed right off.
Because neither of you actually remembers shit about the game, besides pleasant memories of playing it back in the day. You can't go toe to toe with someone who has it fresh in their memory.
So do brother a solid and stay quiet in your cuck chair.

I have played it recently. On Dolphin. Where it's superior anyway.

But when people tYpE LiKe tHiS and say "muh ATMOSPHERE" and have no solid arguments other than being cockblocked, and other stupid shit like that, I disengage rather quickly, because it's clear that Retro must've touched them somewhere inappropriate.

But when people tYpE LiKe tHiS and say "muh ATMOSPHERE" and have no solid arguments other than being cockblocked, and other stupid shit like that, I disengage rather quickly, because it's clear that Retro must've touched them somewhere inappropriate.
Bitch, please. This guy laid out some of the same issues, and you can't tackle it for shit over there either, just drive-by barking from your cuck chair. Same as here.
Your problem is not my tone. Or "no solid arguments" as you call it, because I challenged you to go into details and you chickened out without even trying.
Your problem is complete lack of arguments in favor of this outdated game you're gassing up.
You can't do it here, you can't do it there.
So don't talk to me as if I owe you something when you didn't even show up, ya schmuck.

Ristifer

Bitch, please. This guy laid out some of the same issues, and you can't tackle it for shit over there either, just drive-by barking from your cuck chair. Same as here.
Your problem is not my tone. Or "no solid arguments" as you call it, because I challenged you to go into details and you chickened out without even trying.
Your problem is complete lack of arguments in favor of this outdated game you're gassing up.
You can't do it here, you can't do it there.
So don't talk to me as if I owe you something when you didn't even show up, ya schmuck.
The macho man is angry because someone likes a game without nostalgia goggles on. It must hurt your vulgar brain. Maybe if you hadn't screamed nostalgia right off the bat, your other arguments, which are still simplistic beyond belief, would have merit. Continuously using the word "cuck" is just the cherry on top of this ridiculous display. At least the other person knew how to put arguments together without typing like an adolescent. So, I can acknowledge that they put forth a much better effort than your tantrums.

Please keep screaming, though. I'm sure you're impressing someone on here.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Oh I did.

Shinespark "puzzles" are a sad side effect of the success Super Metroid got among the speedrunning community back then.
Zero Mission has so many of them, it's a blatant homage to the speedrunners that dragged 2D Metroid back into the spotlight.

They ruin the flow of the game like nothing else. Few things feel more out of place in Metroid like retrying a pixel-perfect maneuver spanning three or four rooms only to get a missile tank expansion. At least Dread had the decency to keep them to a minimum. Nothing makes me groan more loudly than bombing a floor or wall and finding another damn shinespark block.

I'd say Nintendo is leaving money on the table not doing a game entirely made of shinespark challenges. Kinda like those MGS VR missions. But I'd be perfectly happy with not having a single one that's mandatory for 100% again. They weren't required to 100% Super Metroid, another reason that game is still the best 2D Metroid.

either way Metroid not a big game for Nintendo. Best known poorest selling Nintendo franchise ?

No, that’s F-Zero.

Metroid is primed to continue getting more popular, starting with Dread, then moving to Prime Remastered as a way to buzz up interest for Prime 4 and make Switch the best way to play the Metroid series. Especially with all the Metroid games on NSO, including Fusion from GBA.

It’s one of their major franchises, for sure. Literal sales figures are important, to be sure, but they don’t tell the whole story. There’s a reason they rebooted Prime 4 development 4 years ago and are clearly spending huge amount of money on it.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m sorry Nintendo fans. Mario 64 is better than Mario 3.

And Metroid Fusion is better than all of them.

Abby Wambach Mic Drop GIF by U.S. Soccer Federation

Moonjt9

Dread was mid. Coming from a massive Metroid fan. Emmi sucked so bad they single-handedly ruin the entire experience.

I could get on board with 2d Metroid > 3d Metroid, but Prime was amazing. Played Remastered recently and it still holds up so well.

Super is still the GOAT though, every other Metroid after is too hand-holdy

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Dread was mid. Coming from a massive Metroid fan. Evi sucked so bad they single-handedly ruin the entire experience.

I could get on board with 2d Metroid > 3d Metroid, but Prime was amazing. Played Remastered recently and it still holds up so well.

Super is still the GOAT though, every other Metroid after is too hand-holdy
What's Evi? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Emmi have better AI then the entires Prime franchise

Prime 4 needs better combats I'm sorry my friends

your other arguments, which are still simplistic beyond belief, would have merit.
You DON'T. HAVE. ARGUMENTS. You walked out of this debate out of your own volition. I don't owe you anything. I don't owe you a tone. I don't owe you whatever standard of arguments you have for other people, but not for yourself. Wrap that around the thick fanboy skull of yours.
If you wanna discuss my character, or my tone, or tell me about how you think you're much more mature than me on this silly videogame forum, and everything else that relates to my person and not the topic, be an actual adult and use fucking DMs.

tr1p1ex

No, that’s F-Zero.

Metroid is primed to continue getting more popular, starting with Dread, then moving to Prime Remastered as a way to buzz up interest for Prime 4 and make Switch the best way to play the Metroid series. Especially with all the Metroid games on NSO, including Fusion from GBA.

It’s one of their major franchises, for sure. Literal sales figures are important, to be sure, but they don’t tell the whole story. There’s a reason they rebooted Prime 4 development 4 years ago and are clearly spending huge amount of money on it.
Even you think Metroid is a major franchise for Nintendo. Yet sales say otherwise. And that's exactly my point. Best known, poorest selling franchise. It's got a reputation as a major franchise and yet it's biggest selling entry is Dread at 3mn copies sold.

F-zero is a runner up candidate. But Nintendo hasn't made an F-Zero game in 20 years. I think that disqualifies it. It has fewer sales but it's also a much less known franchise. Metroid seems much better known and yet its sales numbers are not very far ahead of F-Zero GX level of sales.

I don't see any evidence Metroid is "primed" to get more popular to any significant degree other than the size of the Switch install base is not going to hurt sales. NSO has old games from every franchise essentially so I don't see any special significance to it having old Metroid titles. It was the 35th anniversary of Metroid in 2021 which maybe coincided with the timing of a drop of a classic Metroid game on NSO. Also it was the 20th anniversary of Prime late 2022 - hence remastered Prime following early 2023.

I don't see any evidence they are spending a huge amount of money on MP4. It wouldn't make any sense given past sales numbers. They just didn't like the game they rebooted it. Something they've done before. Something Miyamoto has talked about before. To paraphrase, sometimes he has to come in and upend the tea table.

Last edited:
Even you think Metroid is a major franchise for Nintendo. Yet sales say otherwise. And that's exactly my point. Best known, poorest selling franchise. It's got a reputation as a major franchise and yet it's biggest selling entry is Dread at 3mn copies sold.

F-zero is a runner up candidate. But Nintendo hasn't made an F-Zero game in 20 years. I think that disqualifies it. It has fewer sales but it's also a much less known franchise. Metroid seems much better known and yet its sales numbers are not very far ahead of F-Zero GX level of sales.

I don't see any evidence Metroid is "primed" to get more popular to any significant degree other than the size of the Switch install base is not going to hurt sales. NSO has old games from every franchise essentially so I don't see any special significance to it having old Metroid titles. It was the 35th anniversary of Metroid in 2021 which maybe coincided with the timing of a drop of a classic Metroid game on NSO. Also it was the 20th anniversary of Prime late 2022 - hence remastered Prime following early 2023.

I don't see any evidence they are spending a huge amount of money on MP4. It wouldn't make any sense given past sales numbers. They just didn't like the game they rebooted it. Something they've done before. Something Miyamoto has talked about before. To paraphrase, sometimes he has to come in and upend the tea table.

It’s really the fan buzz that Metroid generates, as well as the potential the series has to generate money and keep getting more and more popular. Metroid has both of those going for it.

Look at how popular Luigi’s Mansion 1 was, how much it grew when it came to 3DS 12 years later, and then how crazy popular Luigi’s Mansion 3 was on Switch. It became their big 2019 holiday game and sold tens of millions. Nintendo’s had a lot of success with turning mid-tier B franchises into huge blockbusters. And no question starting with Dread they’re going to keep building Metroid into a bigger and bigger franchise. I don’t see that F Zero has anywhere near that reach.

Series that have modest-sized yet fervent fanbases like Metroid, Xenoblade, etc. Even if they only sell 2-3 million each title, that’s a guaranteed revenue generator, not to mention the players buying those games are high spenders, and they buy lots of software. Nintendo wants to keep them playing on their system, so they’ll seize every chance they can to release new titles and keep those kinds of players glued to their system.

tr1p1ex

It’s really the fan buzz that Metroid generates, as well as the potential the series has to generate money and keep getting more and more popular. Metroid has both of those going for it.

Look at how popular Luigi’s Mansion 1 was, how much it grew when it came to 3DS 12 years later, and then how crazy popular Luigi’s Mansion 3 was on Switch. It became their big 2019 holiday game and sold tens of millions. Nintendo’s had a lot of success with turning mid-tier B franchises into huge blockbusters. And no question starting with Dread they’re going to keep building Metroid into a bigger and bigger franchise. I don’t see that F Zero has anywhere near that reach.

Series that have modest-sized yet fervent fanbases like Metroid, Xenoblade, etc. Even if they only sell 2-3 million each title, that’s a guaranteed revenue generator, not to mention the players buying those games are high spenders, and they buy lots of software. Nintendo wants to keep them playing on their system, so they’ll seize every chance they can to release new titles and keep those kinds of players glued to their system.

that's the point tho. That's why Metroid wins. IT's a poor selling franchise, but always seem to have a lot of the buzz of a major franchise. To beat Metroid for the trophy, the candidate would have to have consistently greater buzz and fewer sales.

Saying the next one could be a big seller is not only beside the pt, but true of everything. You never know. But we haven't seen any evidence of a breakthrough if you really want to examine that notion. Luigi had higher sales on the 3ds (6.5mn) than on the GC. Metroid on 3ds sold .5mn (samus returns) and .14mn(Fed Force.) MP3 on Wii sold 1.4mn. Metroid Other M Wii .8mn. Luigi on Switch 13mn. Metroid Dread 3mn becoming the highest selling Metroid game ...by 250k.

I didn't say Metroid isn't a c-tier-ish franchise for Nintendo and doesn't make any money and doesn't have any fans. Again my point was it is viewed more like an A-tier franchise but sells like a c or d-tier franchise.

Last edited:
that's the point tho. That's why Metroid wins. IT's a poor selling franchise, but always seem to have a lot of the buzz of a major franchise. To beat Metroid for the trophy, the candidate would have to have consistently greater buzz and fewer sales.

Saying the next one could be a big seller is not only beside the pt, but true of everything. You never know.

I didn't say Metroid isn't a c-tier-ish franchise for Nintendo and doesn't make any money and doesn't have any fans. Again my point was it is viewed more like an A-tier franchise but sells like a c or d-tier franchise.

Yeah, we’ll see if Prime 4 or Dread 2 can change that and get Metroid to break out of the 3 mil cap and explode in sales. I’m assuming one or both of those games will be next-gen or cross-gen, which will help.

tr1p1ex

Yeah, we’ll see if Prime 4 or Dread 2 can change that and get Metroid to break out of the 3 mil cap and explode in sales. I’m assuming one or both of those games will be next-gen or cross-gen, which will help.
yeah don't think dread 2 would explode in sales. it has had plenty of time to do that on the massive install base of the Switch and hasn't.

and MP4...past sales say no and history also isn't kind to games with long development times.

Top Bottom