• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immersion and Sony continue to talk about rumble

BigBoss

Mmmkay said:
Just imagine how those poor PC gamers must have felt. :(

Thats how important rumble is to me, I could never get into PC gaming because it lacked rumble. And without rumble in the PS3 I won't even think about buying the console.

The sad thing is some peole actually think like this.

Deku said:
it ends up with 'well i'm ok with it' (implying, so should everyone else). I didn't realize everyone were robots with the same preference.

No offense meant in any way, but did you forget about the the quote below your name? What I mean by that is there is nothing wrong with anyones opinion, but you seem to think so. Arent you being a little hypocritical by implying that those of us who are "ok" with it are calling everyone else robots who should go along?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
davepoobond said:
no rumble equals more battery time for actual playing guyyzzzz

What are the comparable lives with the 360 controller and the PS3 controller. I get good mileage with mine.

Deku said:
In that case, see point #1 of my post. Anecdotel/personal preferences is not relevant. Because you can talk yourself to death and there will still be someone who prefer something thats totally contradictory to what's being said.
The main point I am trying to get at is that I have never heard anyone speak of rumble period, in any game before this. I have never heard anyone talk about the comparisons between PC and console because of rumble, I never heard anyone say anything negative about the Wavebird because of lack of rumble (even Sony fans). And know all of a sudden it is the most important thing to hit video games ever, and in fact it is a deal breaker for many people, apparently, if their controller does not slightly rumble in their hands.

Deku

Banned
Arde0 said:
No offense meant in any way, but did you forget about the the quote below your name? What I mean by that is there is nothing wrong with anyones opinion, but you seem to think so. Arent you being a little hypocritical by implying that those of us who are "ok" with it are calling everyone else robots who should go along?

What about the quote. and it was all about me and how it destroyed me life (true story).

What you are doing though is essentially arguing ' its not big deal (with me)' so stop bitching. But of course, its always the same apologists who jump into the same threads working overtime on damage control whenever a thread about immersion and or Sony's lack of rumble pops up.

The criticism has actually be quite tame, I'm simply pointing out the horse carcass has rotted away and you're beating at bones. Let it rest. No rumble = crutch for Sony. No one cares about your prersonal life preference because the market collectively (composed of millions of consumers and not just sony virals and apologists) will see it as a crutch when the 2 other options on the market will have it.

Billy Rygar said:
The main point I am trying to get at is that I have never heard anyone speak of rumble period, in any game before this. I have never heard anyone talk about the comparisons between PC and console because of rumble, I never heard anyone say anything negative about the Wavebird because of lack of rumble (even Sony fans). And know all of a sudden it is the most important thing to hit video games ever, and in fact it is a deal breaker for many people, apparently, if their controller does not slightly rumble in their hands.

Let me repeat. No rumble = crutch. Oh and you might want to consider that fact that rumble was always there for the past 10 years so people just took it for granted.

Deku said:
What about the quote. and it was all about me and how it destroyed me life (true story).

What you are doing though is essentially arguing ' its not big deal (with me)' so stop bitching. But of course, its always the same apologists who jump into the same threads working overtime on damage control whenever a thread about immersion and or Sony's lack of rumble pops up.

The criticism has actually be quite tame, I'm simply pointing out the horse carcass has rotted away and you're beating at bones. Let it rest. No rumble = crutch for Sony. No one cares about your prersonal life preference.

As far as calling me an apologist...just look (if you care to, I really doubt you do) and you will see I am no apologist on the issue.

And it is also the same people who hate Sony who jump into a Sony thread to tell Sony fans to quit their bitching... i.e. YOU.

I love how you say to "Let it Rest"...as if you are definitive authority on the subject, how rich.

No one cares about your prersonal life preference

I am not sure If I should take this as an insult or not. What is and is not on a console is everyones preference. I do care about other peoples preferences, and will continue to air them on a public forum, just like you.

Deku

Banned
Arde0 said:
As far as calling me an apologist...just look (if you care to, I really doubt you do) and you will see I am no apologist on the issue.

And it is also the same people who hate Sony who jump into a Sony thread to tell Sony fans to quit their bitching... i.e. YOU.

I love how you say to "Let it Rest"...as if you are definitive authority on the subject, how rich.

Yes, I hate Sony so much I read 4 threads of junk and mostly apologists talking to themselves and insulting everyone else before jump in. But you don't really care . All critics of Sony to you are the same. I think it speaks more to your lack of understanding of what being said and your position of argument, which seems to be primarily based on some sort of affectionate attachment to the Sony brand and wishing it to be loved despite some pretty stupid decisions lately, including the lack of the rumble.

When PSM editors poke fun at Sony's official PR line that they can't get rumble to work because it will get in the way of the tilt sensor by showing off a circa 2001 tech from a 3rd party manufacturer that could do both, I think its time to take a hint and stop beating the dead horse. Even the media outlets assigned to cover Sony realize its a bad decision.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Agent Icebeezy said:
What are the comparable lives with the 360 controller and the PS3 controller. I get good mileage with mine.

irrelevent imo. battery life for PS3 controller as it is > PS3 controller with rumble.

I enjoy rumble alot. it adds much to a game. its expected. it makes me feel part of the game. but thats just me. I want it and expect it in my console. IMO sony is being cheap and if we keep this up they will pony up the money. how much could it cost for a controller? $2 bucks? $5 bucks? just jack up the price for the controller, I'll feel better about spending an extra 2-5 bucks if it has something I enjoyed for the last 10 years built in.

raYne

Agent Icebeezy said:
I posted this early last month:

raYne said:
People are saying that the battery life is 25 hours. The 360 ones are:
-25+ hrs w/ MS rechargeable battery (or P&C Kit)
-30-ish hrs w/ MC MS rechargeable battery (or P&C Kit), rumble off.
-40 hrs w/ regular AA batteries*
-45 hrs (estimate) w/regular batteries, rumble off.
As was said then, the bluetooth is killing the battery life. If it had rumble it'd be horrible

davepoobond said:
irrelevent imo. battery life for PS3 controller as it is > PS3 controller with rumble.
Of course.

P90

I'm willing to bet that if the tables were turned and it was Nintendo or MS without rumble and not the PS3 the SDF would be all over that.

Regardless of the company making the platform, I like rumble. I don't like controllers, including the Wavebird, that don't have it. I wish handhelds had rumble more. Maybe I am the minority.

Deku said:
Yes, I hate Sony so much I read 4 threads of junk to jump in. But you don't really care do you. All critics of Sony to you are the same. I think it speaks more to your lack of understanding of what being said and your position of argument, which seems to be primarily based on some sort of affectionate attachment to the Sony brand and wishing it to win despite some pretty stupid decisions lately, including the lack of the rumble.

When PSM editors poke fun at Sony's official PR line that they can't get rumble to work because it will get in the way of the tilt sensor by showing off a circa 2001 tech from a 3rd party manufacturer that coul do both, I think its time to take a hint and stop beating the dead horse.

No, it is you who do not understand my position...at all, If you had read anything I have posted then you would have a better comprehension of that fact.

All critics of Sony to you are the same.

This is not true.....once again, the only critics who are the same to me are the ones who blindly lash out at Sony, or Nintendo, or MS for the stupidest of reasons.

When PSM editors poke fun at Sony's official PR line that they can't get rumble to work because it will get in the way of the tilt sensor by showing off a circa 2001 tech from a 3rd party manufacturer that coul do both, I think its time to take a hint and stop beating the dead horse.

Which I will whole heartedly agree with. I believe Sony is lying through their teeth about not being able to implement rumble. I have never said differently.

I feel like I am being attacked and covered in the Sony marty flag for airing my opinions here. My original post to you stated:

This was not an attack. I was merely pointing out the statement written below your name is your opinion (and you are more than justified in that opinion if you feel that way). But you are saying that those of who do not agree with you on your statement of norumble=crutch are implying that everyone else are robots who should just go along...which is wrong.

P90 said:
I'm willing to bet that if the tables were turned and it was Nintendo or MS without rumble and not the PS3 the SDF would be all over that.

Regardless of the company making the platform, I like rumble. I don't like controllers, including the Wavebird, that don't have it. I wish handhelds had rumble more. Maybe I am the minority.
U R not alone. I can't imagine playing half my games without rumble. at the right time when it shakes walking into a room I still get the willys....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
*remembers Wavebird*

I f*cking love the Wavebird. While I prefer the Dual Shock as a controller, I really enjoyed an actual first party wireless controller and Nintendo delivered. The lack of rumble meant nothing to me then.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I used the wavebird this entire gen and didn't miss rumble on my GC games.

Is rumble nice? Well, I thought it was....and then I played CoD2 and after a long gunplay session my hands would literally be trembling.

P90

Scottlarock said:
U R not alone. I can't imagine playing half my games without rumble. at the right time when it shakes walking into a room I still get the willys....

Yeah, videogames become multisensory games with rumble-almost as important as sound.

P90 said:

And would you say that some of the people now making it out to be a big deal would back off of that?

davepoobond

Scottlarock said:
IMO sony is being cheap and if we keep this up they will pony up the money. how much could it cost for a controller? $2 bucks? $5 bucks? just jack up the price for the controller, I'll feel better about spending an extra 2-5 bucks if it has something I enjoyed for the last 10 years built in.

face it. if it wasn't rumble, it'd be about the battery.

"why didn't they put a good battery in the controller. Sony is so cheap. it runs out in 10 hours you have to charge it everyday"

there would be no point having the PS3 controller wireless if it had rumble. bluetooth is a MAJOR battery sucker

P90

SolidSnakex said:
And would you say that some of the people now making it out to be a big deal would back off of that?

Pretty much with a few exceptions. But in some ways that is the ugly duckling beauty of NeoGAF.

_Angelus_

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

Some of them(such as myself) don't feel the need to play favortism towards a companys views towards rumble-thats the main difference. If the 360 left out rumble,or the analog triggers-you can bet I would raise hell about it. No company catches a break in this department. I've already been vocal about their lack of backward compatability as it is.

Lapsed

Banned
Now that the PS3 controller is motion based, rumble matters more. With motion based movements, rumble is important to signal collisions.

The problem is that the PS3 doesn't have rumble. I only know of two solutions:

1) Sony signs some deal with Immersion.

2) Sony makes an alternative rumble.

I currently cannot think of a third option. It would be good for all gamers if the PS3 gets rumble. Perhaps we can turn this thread into something more constructive. Why not brainstorm the ways we can get PS3 to have rumble? Perhaps write in to Sony?

Yes, I hate Sony so much I read 4 threads of junk and mostly apologists talking to themselves and insulting everyone else before jump in. But you don't really care . All critics of Sony to you are the same. I think it speaks more to your lack of understanding of what being said and your position of argument, which seems to be primarily based on some sort of affectionate attachment to the Sony brand and wishing it to be loved despite some pretty stupid decisions lately, including the lack of the rumble.

Deku, let me give some advice. Even though I've already had my fun in this thread because I wanted to point out that Sony is the reason why there is no rumble (not Immersion) and that it is pointless to defend Sony on this, I agree with the Sony fans on this:

Entering a thread, such as this, calling the posts junk, projecting yourself as outside the discussion like an angel floating above we mere mortals, is a recipe for being flamed relentlessly (as you are finding out).

Don't enter threads and project yourself as "above the discussion'. When you make yourself such a lightning rod, don't be surprised when you are struck.

P90

Angelus said:
I've already been vocal about their lack of backward compatability as it is.

MS dropped the ball with the 360 on that. Sony and Nintendo have the BC issue right.

Y2Kev

Scottlarock said:
what? :lol
I hope in fear! IMO rumble was pretty good in COD2

Fire a machine gun for ten seconds and then tell me your hands aren't trembling for a few seconds afterwards.

It's a weird feeling. I wonder if it is healthy.

Lapsed said:
Why not brainstorm the ways we can get PS3 to have rumble?

If you have any serious ideas as to how to do this I am all ears (and would help anyone who is serious). Personally, I dont think Sony will do it at this point in the game...that is why I am more resigned to it than anything.

Perhaps write in to Sony?

Actually, that is a damn good constructive idea...

davepoobond said:
face it. if it wasn't rumble, it'd be about the battery.

"why didn't they put a good battery in the controller. Sony is so cheap. it runs out in 10 hours you have to charge it everyday"

there would be no point having the PS3 controller wireless if it had rumble. bluetooth is a MAJOR battery sucker
I am suprised about how long the wireless 360 controller last! Honestly I charge it about once a week. My GF plays zuma, that shark game, hexic and other puzzle games for 5-6 hours and never once did the controller die. I am very impressed with how long the 360 chargable batteries last. Sony coming in a year later should atlest match it. if not beat it.

P90 said:
MS dropped the ball with the 360 on that. Sony and Nintendo have the BC issue right.

Maybe you should revise that to say that Sony and Nintendo had damn well better Have BC right. Because if they dont I will be seriously pissed. MS covered all the games on BC that I own....thats right, I'm selfish on the matter :)

davepoobond

Scottlarock said:
I am suprised about how long the wireless 360 controller last! Honestly I charge it about once a week. My GF plays zuma, that shark game, hexic and other puzzle games for 5-6 hours and never once did the controller die. I am very impressed with how long the 360 chargable batteries last. Sony coming in a year later should atlest match it. if not beat it.

MS uses their own proprietary 2.4 ghz technology in the controller iirc. i don't know how fast it uses battery in general, or even compared to bluetooth, but i'd imagine its not as strong/power consuming as bluetooth is.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Fire a machine gun for ten seconds and then tell me your hands aren't trembling for a few seconds afterwards.

It's a weird feeling. I wonder if it is healthy.
in COD you have to do that at times, ever fire a real machine gun for ten seconds? your hands will rumble and in cod its not even close. I beat the game and never had a problem with rumble. can't imagine playin without it. how will I know when I'm being blastest?

Lapsed

Banned
Arde0 said:
If you have any serious ideas as to how to do this I am all ears (and would help anyone who is serious). Personally, I dont think Sony will do it at this point in the game...that is why I am more resigned to it than anything.

Petitions? Perhaps some grassroots effort? I think the online gaming websites would help.

Don't lose hope. Surely something can be done. :)

_Angelus_

Banned
P90 said:

It appears that way.:) A little heat from their competitors and maybe Microsoft will be abit more determined to fix the problem. Its bad karma towards gamers here-One looses total backward compatability because they refuse to pay NVidia royalties,Sony looses rumble because they refuse to do the same towards Immersion. Both hardwares are flawed.
But I have to admit-rumble is more critical to me because I know my gaming habbits and I very much doubt I'll be playing many current XBox games 2 years from now on a 360. At the same time though-I would surely miss rumble. I don't like that type of atmosphere torn away from my games.:(

Y2Kev

Scottlarock said:
in COD you have to do that at times, ever fire a real machine gun for ten seconds? your hands will rumble and in cod its not even close. I beat the game and never had a problem with rumble. can't imagine playin without it. how will I know when I'm being blastest?

I, uh, don't WANT to fire a machine gun. I don't think that's particularly healthy either. :D
On an interesting note, the PC version has no rumble and yet people have been saying the PC is the best place for FPS for years.

_Angelus_

Banned
Just curious-how long does it take for the battery pack to charge up a pad? I already had one of those 15 minute AA battery chargers so I had no need for one of those. Does the battery pack charge your batteries in record time,or does it take awhile?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I, uh, don't WANT to fire a machine gun. I don't think that's particularly healthy either. :D
On an interesting note, the PC version has no rumble and yet people have been saying the PC is the best place for FPS for years.
don't know if thats true about the PC, but I enjoy rumble so if the PC lacked it, to ME thats the inferior game.....

raYne

Angelus said:
Just curious-how long does it take for the battery pack to charge up a pad? I already had one of those 15 minute AA battery chargers so I had no need for one of those. Does the battery pack charge your batteries in record time,or does it take awhile?
You should probably stop calling the charging mechanism a "battery pack".

If you mean on the 360, I've never timed it but it doesn't seem that long. But it charges faster if you aren't using the controller while it charges. Charges even faster if you plug it into your pc.

If you meant the PS3 pad. I don't think it's documented.

Scottlarock said:
how will I know when I'm being blastest?
What?

If you mean "being blasted" as in getting shot, they'll obviously have to rely on visual cues. Screen flashes red with each hit or the screen shakes..whatever.

raYne said:
If you mean "being blasted" as in getting shot, they'll obviously have to rely on visual cues. Screen flashes red with each hit or the screen shakes..whatever.
not the same, rumble adds impact. can you imagine if a game didn't alow screen flashes or shaking? the game lost something asin games without rumble.

davepoobond

Scottlarock said:
not the same, rumble adds impact. can you imagine if a game didn't alow screen flashes or shaking? the game lost something asin games without rumble.

lost what? a shaking controller? you're still playing the game

raYne

Scottlarock said:
I never said it was. :p

I'd definitely take the rumble over either of those choices. Not only does it feel better (no pun intended) but I tend to notice it before I notice the direction "incoming fire" cues in FPS'. The visual cues tend to get lost in the game if you're concentrating on actually playing.

If the game has both, my order of noticing them is:
*rumble* > "Oh shit!" > *look for directional cue* > retaliate.

Ponn

Banned
Scottlarock said:

don't know if thats true about the PC, but I enjoy rumble so if the PC lacked it, to ME thats the inferior game.....

Confirmed. Crysis for PC will suck without rumble. :lol

_Angelus_

Banned
raYne said:
You should probably stop calling the charging mechanism a "battery pack".

If you mean on the 360, I've never timed it but it doesn't seem that long. But it charges faster if you aren't using the controller while it charges. Charges even faster if you plug it into your pc.

:lol I still don't know what the damn thing is called,my bad. I have never bothered to really look at the package closely since I'm already set with a charger as it is. But anyways give me a round number of the length that it takes to charge up the batteries, Is it atleast under an hour if you leave the pad alone?

raYne

Angelus said:
:lol I still don't know what the damn thing is called,my bad. I have never bothered to really look at the package closely since I'm already set with a charger as it is. But anyways give me a round number of the length that it takes to charge up the batteries, Is it atleast under an hour if you leave the pad alone?
It's not really that. The charger "charges", the battery pack takes the charge. So when you say "how long does it take for the battery pack to charge up a pad?" Everyone gets an immediate "Wha?" reaction. :p

In any case, definitely under an hour in you leave it alone.

C4Lukins

P90 said:

We do not know that yet, but hopefully they have it right. Just curious about PS3, do we know that they are including PS2 and PS1 hardware into it so that all games will be compatible off the bat? If so, that is very impressive.

Ponn01 said:
Confirmed. Crysis for PC will suck without rumble. :lol
QFT.

or the game could be awesome but without rumble it just missing something. heck MGS4 with rumble>MGS4 without rumbe with gyros--->IMO again I could be a lost cause but I rather have MG with rumble then with gyros but thats me.

Mrbob

The dual weak shake that constitutes rumble in the 360 pad won't be missed. Logitech's next gen rumble technology is a different story.

Buy a 5.1 system and don't rely on weak shakes to immerse yourself in a game.

Mrbob said:
The dual weak shake that constitutes rumble in the 360 pad won't be missed. Logitech's next gen rumble technology is a different story.

Buy a 5.1 system and don't rely on weak shakes to immerse yourself in a game.

Amen to the 5.1

When playing COD2 for 360 on Veteran I would crank up the receiver till the explosions shook my soul ( my house is on a large lot, no bothering the neighbours).

C4Lukins

davepoobond said:
can you also tell me how the game is with 3D glasses?

It pretty much looks the same, only it has a half blue half redish hue to it. I don't think it was built for these damn glasses.

Top Bottom